View Full Version : Pavolsvk - Stylized Challenge #02 - A year after (Golden gate)
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
This is really awesome chalenge so id like to take part in it:)
I came with an idea of destroyed bridge in the wasteland. Here is some wip what ive done so far.
And here are some clouds i will use.
Comments & ideas are soo welcome:)
11-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Great start, looking forward to seeing this one progress :)
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Here is some little update:)
13-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Here is another small update, a little of compositing (sorry for the transparency of some object, i was in hurry:D ) There will be some clouds in background. Do you have any idea what more to add? maybe some broken ship/car in the left down corner?..let me know your opinion:)
15-02-2012, 04:03 AM
nice work, very impressed with the clouds, can't wait to see them in the final comp.
p.s. isn't it funny how we always see the apocalypse as depicted in the movies - no water, dry lands etc, when we are facing the rising levels of water that will engulf cities in years to come :p (was I dark at this point or was I ever)
20-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I have been playing with a compositiona little:). I need to setup some Dof in there, maybe some details like birds will be added also.
i am pretty gloomy with it cause i cant find some good compositions of clouds:(, so i left them easy. I did few improvements on the bridge and also lighting is different.
Comments are welcome.
22-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Hmm, Here is it. I am really dissapointed with my result. I have been trying to save it somehow in PS, no point:). Anyway, i have learnt much creating that.
I am a little angry cos i was working on it hard and it didnt turn out nice. But as someone said, practising makes master. Hope i will do better next time.
Thanks for comments and sorry if you were looking forward something better.
23-02-2012, 06:35 AM
I think a DOF pass would really add to the realism, should give it a shot.
Nice work though :)
23-02-2012, 07:14 AM
few things you could try
- bump maps on the ground - it is sand afterall
- dust clouds on the ground
- atmosphere perspective to desaturate colours as the object gets further away from the lens
- slight dof in the front area of the picture (not huge mind you)
23-02-2012, 10:50 AM
23-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey pavlovsk, even though the competition is gonna be over shortly I don't think you should give up on this image, because your centerpiece model is actually really nice.
A few thoughts I had...
- Compositionally, the image leans very heavily on the midground. Try to bring some large foreground and background elements, and really push the atmospheric perspective to get some depth. The bay area is heavily populated, so it's very unlikely that the GGB would be the only large ruin. Perhaps the wrecked hull of a ship could add some interest, or some destroyed buildings in the background.
- Are you using a really subtle toon shader on the ground material that adds a slight outline? Right now it's so thin that it almost comes across as a compositing artifact. I'd say if you're going for the Borderlands aesthetic, then give the outline element a little more emphasis.
- The ground needs a lot more variation to be convincing. Cracks, rubble, foliage, etc.
- rocneasta's suggestion about atmospheric perspective is probably the most important thing you'll hear. Those hills in the distance should be desaturated and their hue should shift slightly toward the sky color. This will really help bring some depth into the composition.
Anyway, hope that at least inspires some ideas! Hope you keep going with it... it could be a really cool image if you put the time into finishing it off. I myself have a tendency to quit on a project when it starts to get frustrating, but you don't learn anything if you don't work through the difficulties.
This image isn't a failure, it's just not done yet!
23-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Yea, tthank you so much guys for you suggestions. I really appreciate every advice, THAANKS!! (many good point jusslic, rocneasta, astroAJ- i will try to keep them in my mind)..
I was soo frustrated yesterday, but i tried to do something today, id change many things more, but there is no time. Anyway i think i may complete it (if my computer get the brain!!:). today it was crashing every minute (so hard to work like that, i will need better machine for such a competitions:)
Im going to put it also in the final entries.
23-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh dude, much improved I think! I like the vignetting, and the DoF really, really helped. The birds look completely real, and I think toning down the clouds was a good choice.
That really sucks when you're running into hardware limitations. I've been there! Anyway, congrats on pushing through it.
24-02-2012, 01:18 PM
thanks you jusslic very much:)
vBulletin® v3.7.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.