PDA

View Full Version : Hanuman: Monkey god--Indian Mythology

hells angel
25-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Hey ppl.....been a really long time since i last posted......just started off with a new character.....finished sketching this character a few months ago so finally decided to model it in 3d.....the character is my take on the mythical monkey god "hanuman"......finished modellin this just yest......started unwrapping and texturing......will put up those updates soon......c&c welcome.

concept sketch:

hells angel
25-03-2004, 11:23 AM
model with mesh smooth:

hells angel
25-03-2004, 11:26 AM
wires:

Karikoga
25-03-2004, 11:33 AM
AWESOOOMME - Maan I just luuuv your concept. And the model...soul food. Just soul foood mmmmm.
I just have one criticism though - about your concept sketch - I maybe mistaken but I think that tail belongs to a lion...
I am gonna keep an eye on thi one - definately.
Your monkey-king has a loyal sbject :D

Mr.T
25-03-2004, 02:46 PM
very nice!!

the thing that bother me is the feet, especially the big toe. i believe this area needs some tweaking, nice concept! ;)

JDPCreations
25-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Agreed, the feet don't look as cool as the sketch, everything else is right on.

Ragnar
25-03-2004, 11:39 PM
super work... I agree about the feet.. they need some work... Have you thought about using shag fur for the... fur ;) ? good work.. keep it up!

hells angel
26-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks a lot guys for all the crits....
Karikoga:...my monkey god surely appreciates the loyalty!!;).....the tail was drawn in such a way coz the characters depiction demands it....the character was designed based on various texts and i tried to do maximum justice to it.......probaly if u look up the epic "ramayana" from indian mythology u'll get what i'm tryin to say.......
Mr.t , JDPCreations and Ragnar:yeah....i did notice the feet.....i had actually just copy pasted the hand there and then tweaked....but guess i'll have to rework it now.....
and yes...i am plannin to use shag fur for the fur....so wont be texturin the body too much....just face hands and feet.......

will put up updates on the textures soon.......cheers..:)

T0XIC
26-03-2004, 10:19 AM
I think if you made the foot a bit less wide and moved the "thumb toe" further back toward the heel it would fix it right up - great work so far tho, I like his robe thing ;)

hells angel
27-03-2004, 08:31 AM
thanx toxic....i think ur sugeestion will definitely help.....will try it.......started on textures.(i suck at texturing!!).....heres my first go....no lights in the scene.......lemme know what u guys think.....cheers.

Spaghetti
27-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Exuse me, but u sucking at textures is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. (no offence)
I LOVE IT!!

hells angel
29-03-2004, 09:07 AM
hey thanx spaghetti.....means a lot coz this is the first time the textures have come out pretty decent.....will put up updates soon.....would like to hear more crits......cheers.

Karikoga
29-03-2004, 09:58 AM
You seem to have hair in the nose, tip of the ears and too much on the lips. Also, I don't know about that golden colour, I think it's a bit too much. You may want to put more of grey in there and just a little of the golden-yellow - at the edge of the hairs...

Stuh505
29-03-2004, 10:21 AM
i think you should try to make the skin texture a bit less duo-tone. i see 1 shade of brown and then black. try looking at some zoo photographs maybe that will help. also the skin looks very stiff for some reason, like it was poured out of concrete, i think this is somewhat due to the bump map you are using

one other comment you aren't going to like is that i think he looks more like a gorilla than a monkey...but that's going back to the concept art

hells angel
30-03-2004, 09:06 AM
thanx Karikoga and Stuh505......i did notice those problems with the textures....gonna rework them now....this is gonna take a while coz i need to look for some references......and i'm goin back to the modelling stage for a while to rework on the hands and feet.........will try and cut the golden feel......and yeah...the bump map sux..(this is why i said i suck at texturing!!:D ).....
Stuh505:yeah...the gorilla look couldnt be avoided coz of the jaw.....if u cover the jaw...the rest is totally monkey....and the jaw was a very essential part of the character accordin to the anciant texts.....i dont mind the comment....i would have probably said the same had i not known..:).......
thanks a lot for the comments....i'm puttin up the same pic with textures but this time with an omin and a sky light in the scene.....but will be changin the textures anyways......updates will come as soon as i find the time to make changes......cheers..:)

hells angel
02-04-2004, 09:55 AM
made changes to the textures....still not completely satisfied.....luckily i dont have a deadline for this so gonna take it slow......lemme know what u guys think.....no lights in scene.

hells angel
04-04-2004, 01:36 PM
texture testing again.....
noticed that no ones been responding lately!!....guys...this is the place i need help in....texturing!!!......se please lemme know what u think......cheers.

mr_makaveli
04-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Im no expert on texturing either, but can offer opinion for all its worth. The last two images are definatly the best so far, as one would hope, but i think it needs to be a balance between them more than either way. The texture on the first makes the skin look more like sand, but the second makes him look old (i dont know if this is the intention).

IMO keep the hair loose and varied like on the last image, but change its tone to a more brown than grey, or make it gradiate from brown to grey at the tips. The main issue is that the eyebrow fur looks slightly too low and is obscuring the eyes, if you raise that up thr brow and maybe add some short, fine fur over other areas it should be on track to a great model, hope it helps.

04-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I must confess I was stunned to see the way you handle your meshes nowadays. You have done a giant leap as well in the anatomy part as in the texturing and modeling. This character is looking awsome. If you ask for them, crits will always be. Such as: the skin is too shinny and some wrinkles will add reallity to your character. Adding flaws to the skin (pores, moles, smole liver spots) will also increase the degree of realism. Then you have the eyebrows. They really need to follow a path, for now they are chaotic. If you use ShagHair you can use the splines for direction, if you use Shag fur, put hair vectors in the vecinity of the eyebrows to imprint them a path. Add a reflect/refract map to the reflection slot of the earring, it will slow your render but it will increase the metal look. Change the color of the eyes. Make your own map is my advise but if you can't, take this one in photoshop and increase the tonality of the blue. Add some streack into the iris, yellow ones, it will look cool.
Good luck with this one and I'll be expecting for more.

hells angel
05-04-2004, 01:21 AM
mr_makaveli : ur suggestions would definitely help.....my intention was not to make him look old but i really wanted to keep the white hair......looks like i'll have to change the color after all......i noticed the eyebrows too.....will have to do some tweakin there...raise it up.....thanks a lot....
Avatar : thanks a lot...comin from u those words really mean a lot!!...u know i've always been an admirer of ur work.....and i was hoping u'd see this thread soon!!:) i've tried adding wrinkles through bump maps but really cant get that effect....what resolution should i be runnin my maps??...coz i reall am not lookin forward to goin back to the modellin phase again!!:)been tryin to look around a lot for some shag hair tutorials....the only one i found was at joan of arc.....hope thats enuf...coz i still havent got a hang of the plugin.......will make those changes on the maps like u pointed out for the textures.......thanks a bunch.

updates will take a week now......although i will be lookin into the forums for more crits.....its already taken me really long to reach this level....and with the changes!!..phew!!.....but i dont wanna start with the rest of the body until i'm done with the face......thanks all....i'm tryin really hard on this one...cheers.

mr_makaveli
05-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Here's a few shag hair tutorials to help you along, not sure how useful they are but i thought hey, since i have them bookmarked why not share..

Tutorial that concentrates on the painting aspect:

http://www.adamwatkins.com/s3_tutorials/s3_01.htm
http://www.adamwatkins.com/s3_tutorials/s3_02.htm

General tutorial, its in french but.. well it has pictures of settings, etc, could be worth a look:

http://mr2k.3dvf.com/tutorials/max/shag_hair/shag_hair_01.htm
http://mr2k.3dvf.com/tutorials/max/shag_hair/shag_hair_02.htm
http://mr2k.3dvf.com/tutorials/max/shag_hair/shag_hair_03.htm

And finally a Digimation video tutorial, straight from the horses mouth and always worth checking digimations (free) training vid's for theyre plugins:

http://www.digimation.com/software/downloads/Tutorials/86/ShagHair.swf

Hope they help

05-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Great tutorials from mr_makaveli! This can surely help you with the shag problems. As for wrinckles, you don't need to alter the mesh. Just save you bitmap in a tif format at about 1024 resolution, 300 bits. Its big but is precise and it can gave a nice fx.

nico3d
07-04-2004, 11:52 AM
The character looks excellent. The skin it is definitely too shiny...

there's one big doubt about one thing. I travelled extensively around india and I haven't seen a poster or image where Hanumman looked like that... You said you took it out from the ramayana? So weird..... of course you must be right since you are hindu...
And I also saw sculptures of Hanuman in the Angkor temples in Cambodia and he didn't look like your either...
I have a photo of this sculpture, if I have time I'll scan it and post it...

hells angel
10-04-2004, 10:24 AM
thanks a lot for the tutorials...although the second is the same as the joan of arc one.....did help though.......
and thanks for the tip avatar.....u'll probably see the difference in the image.....
nico3d :...ur confusion is justified...although i have my reasons for havin my hanuman this way....firstly...every depiction of hanuman over the ages has been an artists representation.....based on how he perceived the god to be....keepin in mind only one factor that he was a monkey...and strong.......but the scriptures do mention that he got his name from from "hanu"=jaw...due to the swollen jaw that he got from a fight with the rain god "indra"....this factor was never paid attention to in the paintings....this is what makes him look more like a gorilla than a monkey.....the other features were put in to give him a tough look and keepin in mind the fact that he belonged to a forest tribe......
i tried to give my depiction of hanuman a completely fresh look based on the scriptures..without basing him on how other artists perceived him....the usual tendency of the artists is to give a "goody two shoes" look to all gods which i didnot wanna follow as i wanted to give my hanuman more character.....hope that sez enuf!!:).....if u'd like to ask anythin else...pls do....

finished texturin the face.....lemme know if i can improve.......
used shag hair for the hair....20 minutes to render(middle shading disabled).

hells angel
10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
front and side.....hair shadows disabled and only a few lights in scene to speed up rendering.....

TheOne
10-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Wow! Thats awesome!
i'm waiting for updates! :)

nico3d
10-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Hells angel, your explanation was excellent to me and actually it cleared a lot more doubts I had about Hindu Gods depiction, since I always saw them depicted in different ways all through India and Nepal..
Now your version of Hanuman definitely makes sense to me and I think it is a great idea that you do your own hanuman based on your interpretation of the scriptures.

Since you asked me to ask you anything, let me ask you this doubt I have with Ganesh...
I found this in a text..

"it is said that Ganesh (created by Parvati) was asked by the goddess to guard the door while she bathed. When Shiva, her husband, arrived, Ganesh refused him entry. Angered by this Shiva lopped off Ganesh's head but repented once he realized who Ganesh was. To make amends he directed his attendants to bring back the head of the first creature they found. That creature was an elephant and thus restored...."

could you tell me if this is the real story of Ganesh's elephant head? if not, could tell me briefly what's the story about him?

10-04-2004, 02:01 PM
You're going great here buddy! I must said I like better the black hair than the blond one but this time you sure got the eyes right. Congrats!

Mr.T
10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
great evolution! i don't have much to say except that it's coming great! ;)

ps: well.. maybe there is just the ear rings, they need a little rotation to fit well at the ear hole area but it's a really small detail..

keep on updating :)

rubberduck
10-04-2004, 07:04 PM
The render with the dark hair/fur (hair shadows enabled)looks great.;)
2 suggestions, move the earrings in a little so that they fit better and I don't think apes/monkeys have blue eyes/irises, maybe brown?

Karikoga
11-04-2004, 03:27 AM
You "suck at texturing" - my butt....:roll:
Man this is really awesome stuff...

geoMan
11-04-2004, 06:03 AM
nice work!

hells angel
12-04-2004, 06:30 AM
wow!!...thats the most crits i've got yet!!:)..

The One : updates will come soon....though i'm tryin not to hurry it and mess it up(which i always do!!)...thanks for the encouragement.

nico3D : actually the story u've read is the most famous one...although what u've written is very brief.....there are two other stories related to ganesha gettin his head but these are totally different from the first.......the second deals with the god of eclipses "rahu" castin an evil eye on baby ganesha......the third i'm not very sure of......the reason for these stories is that the depiction of ganesha is different in north and south india..and for that matter even nepal.......the puranas were intitially carried by word of mouth before being recorded and hence u'll find a lot of variations to a single story......even the ramayana has a 100 different versions....if u'd like the detailed description of the first or second story of ganesha i wouldnt mind mailin them to u....coz it'd take a while for me to write it down:).....there are 2 different stories to even ganesha being one tusked!!:)

Avatar : thanks buddy!!....the hair is gonna stay black...it looks blonde in the 2nd image coz of disablin certain features durin render...thanks for the tip on the eyes.

Mr.T : thanks....yeah i did notice the earrings just after i posted...will fix them soon...updates comin soon.

rubberduck :did notice the earrings.....yeah...i do know that monkeys dont have blue eyes....but this character had godly attributes.....was supposed to be an incarnation of "shiva" the destroyer from the trinity of hindu mythology.......so thought blue eyes would be a nice touch.....thanks for the words of encouragement .

Karikoga : thanks for the boost buddy....but if u check the montage i've attached along...u'll know what i mean....the lion and warrior woman are just about 3 months old..and all four are in 2003.

geo man : thanks geo man ....means a lot:)

hells angel
12-04-2004, 07:00 AM
this is the montage i was talkin bout...some of my best works of 2003.....but still not good enuf!!:D
now u know what my pal Avatar meant when he said i've gone leaps and bounds!!:cool:

hells angel
12-04-2004, 07:07 AM
updates as promised....started detailing the body......finished the hands and feet unless any crits come in.......which i'm definitely lookin forward to.....cheers.

Mr.T
12-04-2004, 10:16 AM
much better!! maybe the hand's big thumb needs some tweaking on the nail area (just a suggestion)

Aichi-Val
12-04-2004, 10:57 AM
the thumbs need some work, maybe a little bigger?

but the head is absolutly stunning, very nice texturing

nico3d
12-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I would definitely love that you mailed me the stories,

and also, do you know websites where I can get nice images from the hindu Gods? I've searched the net but found nothing really really good.... or if you have some scanned, you can mail them too ;)

my mail is nico5d@myrealbox.com

12-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Looking great so far with the hands and legs. Monkey but not too monkey! To be honest I'm expecting anxiously to see the costume for this guy as I know indian costumes can be really awsome! As for your priviouse work, great stuff but I can freely say you have impruve both your modeling and your texturing a lot! Keep up the good work!

hells angel
14-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Mr.T :thanks pal.....tweaked the thumb a bit...and the fingers... (somehow...workin around the thumb was a real pain!!)

Aichi-Val : thanks dude....yeah did work around the thumb and big toe......increased the size and tried definin them a little more.

nico3D : hey bro....umm...i'm not sure about any sites online...coz never really had to go online for this topic!!:D.....although i will see if i have anything scanned that i can send u....for the stories...u'll have to gimme till sunday....will take a while before i can write it all down!!....btw...i've added u onto icq...got ur number from the profiles....mine is 58433550.....hope to see u online sometime.

Avatar : thanks man!!.....although i must say...will have to dissapoint u on the costumes.....my character wont have the usual indian style of costumes that u've known...coz hes from a forest tribe...so the costume will be very simple....very close to the concept sketch with minor changes and a few extra accessories.....hope u like the final image!!:)

made changes to the earring placements....and a friend suggested that i put the maps through a falloff to give subsurface scatterin...so did that...looks "slightly better".....but i wont be puttin up that image now...(got too many of the face).......i'm puttin up the updates for the feet and hands.

hells angel
14-04-2004, 10:43 AM
heres the base model to the rest of the body......will be detailing the legs and back mostly...although will make changes to a lot of other areas......will post updates on this soon....cheers.

14-04-2004, 11:10 AM
I must say that the calfs and the forarms are too big, huge and it would be wise to tone them down a bit (or even more). The rest of the body is well structurated for a masive, strong god-like being.

rubberduck
14-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Avatar-3DT
I must say that the calfs and the forarms are too big, huge and it would be wise to tone them down a bit (or even more). The rest of the body is well structurated for a masive, strong god-like being.

Very nice, but listen to Avatar;)

nafi
15-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Look very good indeed. but listen to avatar

hells angel
15-04-2004, 10:33 AM
wow!!.....if u look at the concept sketch....the huge calves and forearms were intentional....coz i wanted to put in those "ape with massive forearms" look.....i'm attachin one of my early test renders to give a complete feel of the character.....but if u guys think i still need to tone down the forearms to human proportions ..then i will....(three guys sayin the same thing definitely bears weight!!:D).....lemme know.

Mr.T
15-04-2004, 11:10 AM
wow! great character! will you put fur on the body? great great, you followed the concept, nice!

T0XIC
16-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Hmm I'm not sure what to think of the forearms... Maybe you need to lengthen the upper arm a bit... The problem as I see it is lengthwise the arms are too human in proportion, but thicknesswise they're probably ok. Tinker with it a bit ;)

mat
16-04-2004, 07:31 AM
the render looks unreal angel, but i think the problem is the way the arms are right now, they look more like flab than muscle, atleats that was my first impression, possibly the biceps need to be a smaller diameter for the forearms to work as the size they are. the hulk character in the 3dtotal gallery is a good example of extreme muscle bulk without the look of flab.

looking at the hulk pic again i think lengthing the forarms and defining the shoulder area more will fix the problem

mat

hells angel
19-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Mr.T : thanks...yeah...will be puttin fur all over the body....just like the concept.

TOXIC :...yeah...lengthenin the forearms did make sense....thanks.....looks more monkey-ish now:)

mat :Thanks for the reference dude....although i wont be puttin in too much muscle definition since theres gonna be fur on top.......just gonna focus on overall shape.

cant put up any updates this week...havent had the time to work on the model......raised the poly count o too high a level unnecessarily...so gotta refine...wont be detailin the muscles too much...tryin to work on the lines of the taurens in warcraft....with all that fur...and still havent worked on the legs.......i'll put up an update as soon as i can...thanks.

hells angel
25-04-2004, 02:52 PM
back after a week!!.....finished the base body model......realised that i put into a little too much detail on the body than required(u'll know what i'm talkin bout when u see the fur version)...but too lazy to go back and change....so heres the model......also posting a smooth version....fur version....and a test render with the head on(its kinda dark...sorry bout that...20 mins to render...my patience runs out!!:D)......in the fur version...the distinct demarcation will be covered by cloth.....i havent textured the hand and feet yet.....and i will be addin accessories to quite a few places so this model is far from over!!.....lemme know what u'all think so far......thanks.

hells angel
25-04-2004, 02:57 PM
heres the smooth version..

hells angel
25-04-2004, 03:12 PM
fur version....

hells angel
25-04-2004, 03:14 PM
and a test render......

sarN
25-04-2004, 03:17 PM
that is SICK that monkeys HUGE!
wouldnt wanna mess with him. intimidating to the last hair, awesome job :)

Nappa
25-04-2004, 03:55 PM
so much fur i like it looks really good i would guess the fur on his chest is a little with looking from the defult lighting and camra angel other than that i want him on my bed room floor but not to close to the fire place

edit=MOnkey with out a tail ='s Apeseeing how this is a monkey GOD does that mean the tail will be model later ?

prats
25-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Wow!! Nice to see Indian mythology depicted in here...Love the model....grt job

nico3d
25-04-2004, 07:37 PM
WOOOW !! that fur is AMAZING !!!

T0XIC
25-04-2004, 07:45 PM
looks good :) But don't gorillas have bare chests/abs?

Sadly, this is the best reference I could find. :p

http://www.halloweencostumesusa.com/images/h-images/f31592.jpg

Nappa
25-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by T0XIC
looks good :) But don't gorillas have bare chests/abs?

Notice the thread name is Hanuman:MONKEY god- - Indain mythology

Gorilla is a ape...ape's have no tail's

hells angel
25-04-2004, 09:12 PM
thanks a lot guys for all the crits.......ur words of encouragement always mean a lot.....looks like theres nuthin much to change as of now........
and looks like i really have to finish that tail....

nappa:...yes i will be modellin the tail soon......(very soon...now that this factor is causing a lot of misunderstanding!!)....and yes...the hair on the chest has been kept low on purpose.

Toxic: this character is a MONKEY......u can check the reference pic on the first page to clear any doubts....theres a brief description too....somewhere on the second page.

updates wont be any time soon....maybe a week.....should start studyin soon...got my exams.....but this character is reallly addictive:D

26-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Hanuman is looking more than great. I like what you did with the fur. Keep up the good work and keep us updated!

hells angel
27-04-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks Avatar......tryin to update as soon as possible...
texturin was gettin kinda draggy....so thought i'd try riggin before i start on the accessories....heres a render without fur and textures.and for all those who had a doubt about him bein a gorilla or an ape.....i've finished the tail:D

hells angel
27-04-2004, 01:23 PM
back view...tails a seperate part and the joint will go under the clothes.....so that shouldnt be a problem....gonna add fur at the tip.

nico3d
27-04-2004, 03:46 PM
that tail looks awesome.
I think that the attachment to the body needs a bit more work, but I think that actually you may not need that since that will all be covered with hair..!!

excellent work !

can't wait to see Shiva, Ganesh, and Vishnu next !!! :D

T0XIC
28-04-2004, 03:25 AM
well, looks great man :) This character has a lot of character, if you know what I mean ;)

Emperor
28-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Looks great overall. I really like it.

One thing buggin me is where the tail starts. Its like its his...hrm..poop, lol. I'm guessing the conection should look more natural . Perhaps you havent attached it.

Ultimate Ronnie
28-04-2004, 04:51 AM
i agree. it looks beautiful, but the tail should come out somewhere between his butt and the small of his back.

T0XIC
28-04-2004, 07:17 AM
to quote hell's angle-

tails a seperate part and the joint will go under the clothes.....so that shouldnt be a problem

hells angel
28-04-2004, 09:00 AM
thanks a lot for the crits guys....
Emperor, Nico and Ronnie....i guess toxic said it there for me......there'll be cloth comin over the joint ...
Nico: sure buddy....will work on the other gods as soon as i can find the time to start with the concepts..:)....watch this space!!:D

havin a little trouble with the fur......the first image i have posted is the fur without hair shadows(page4)...and the one below is with shadows but with the amount of fur halved.......coz if i run it on full with shadows my comp freezes......so my only option right now is to give him a furless look....with a little on forearms and calves...coz i'm really not happy with the two renders......if anyone knows any better way of showin fur without hurtin my comp too much please let me know....thanks.

this render is with the fur halved.....ignore the eye area...glitch in pose and light.

hells angel
28-04-2004, 10:56 PM
heres a render with basic accesories and hair...might go for the "no fur" look.......plannin to go for more accessories like chains...shin gaurds and all...soon.

hells angel
28-04-2004, 10:57 PM
back.

Nappa
28-04-2004, 11:06 PM
looks like a lion's tail i think you need to look at some refence pictures of a monky

shaneb
29-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Great stuff here...awesome character. I vote for keeping the tail the way it is....the fact that it isn't 100% monkey is fine considering the fact that the character is already heavily anthropomorphized. Those props are a great start too. :D

One way you could approach the fur problem would be to take some shots of the fur and build a texture out of it by patching it together in photoshop. You could then use this as a base which you could then grow the fur over it...less fur...where there isn't fur the texture will hopefully suffice. Obviously you would have to use neutral lighting when you render your base fur pass but it may work. It is a cheap fix...but might be worth at least a try.

Good luck...looking forward to updates.

hells angel
29-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Nappa : ur doubts the same as Karikoga's on the first page....like i said earlier...the characters depiction in the scriptures requires him to have a lion's tail......it is for the same reason that the lion tailed macaque(monkey) is known as the hanuman langur(langur=monkey) in india....

shaneb : thanks a lot dude.....that should definitely help....although i'm still tryin a little r&d with shag hair.....will try ur method if all else fails......thanks a lot.

would like to remind everyone here that the character is a muthical indian god and the scriptures have been closely followed in the design of the character.......thanks for all the support....updates coming soon:)

29-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Considering he is not really a monky but some divine creature with a head of a monkey (from what I did undrstand), he could look in a thousand different ways. SOo, this is as good as anyother as long as it keeps to the original sketches and it creates the proper impression; and I say it does. I'm again impressed how much you did improved and I'm glad could witness you "upgrade". :D

Ultimate Ronnie
29-04-2004, 06:23 AM
looking good. keep it up. the fur is looking quite good also.

hells angel
29-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks a lot Avatar and Ronnie......feels good to have upgraded!!:D....
yeah...the character is divine...actually very highly respected and prayed to a lot in India......the god of strength....main character to one of the biggest epics of india.....The Ramayana......me havin my own take on this character has a raised a lot of eyebrows among my friends here and among indians who have seen this......although the texts related to this character are varied......the texts mention hanuman as a "vanar"....monkey but not really monkey....somethin between an ape and a human.....immensely strong...able to grow or shrink to any size......belonged to a forest tribe.....very wise...though a terror to the enemy.....has a swollen jaw after a fight with the rain god as a child......has a tail that can grow to any length and the tail alone is capable of defeating an entire army......this is like..the gist of the character...so i hope this clears a lot of doubts......

anyways.....tweaked and tweaked the fur till i got this look.....still have to texture and light it up properly.....this render is just to see how the fur fits and to check density.......lemme know what u guys feel.....cheers.

sarN
29-04-2004, 04:22 PM
one of the sweetest organic models ive ever seen. Keep it up! Kinda looks like a lions tail or something with the black bushy part on the back. Awesome :D

30-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Sweeeeet! I like the bronze mace (or hammer). The fur looks awsome, you did managed to master very good your plugin. The only crit is the bracer that is not hanging very naturaly on Hanuman's wrist. As for the religiouse part, I do understand you. There are people who never try to ask themselfs about the divine things.

T0XIC
30-04-2004, 03:20 AM
very nice indeed! Only thing I can see is that there is a visible line where the fur cuts off from the forearm to the hand- might wanna smooth that over ;) And also, as avatar mentioned, the bracer isn't hanging very naturally there.

hells angel
30-04-2004, 11:03 AM
sarN :..wow...thanks for the compliment dude!!....ahh...the lion tail comment again....guess i'll just start takin that as a compliment since that was the intention from the beginning!!:)....take a look at the previous posts on this thread if u wanna know what i mean!!;)

Avatar :..thanks man.....yeah its a mace alright....one of the most common ancient weapons of india.....especially used by all the strong heroes of ancient times.....will be tryin to add more detail on that later.....yeah...noticed the bracer too...but havent really been able to rig the model properly....have to look into that......though maybe i'd try and post a few traditional pics of hanuman if i can find them.....then probably everyone would get an idea of where i'm headed.....bout why this is sooooo different.

TOXIC : thanks toxic.....will look into that.....havent really got a hang of addin the right tone of grey for defining hair length....and yeah....have to fix that rig....

with all these comments and compliments and the size of this thread thought i'd get a few stars but noticed that i havent!!...oh well...never really figured out how that worked anyways!!:D

anyways......posting my last two updates for a month.....coz i wont be workin on this model until i finish my exams in the first week of june.......the model is complete...although the textures are very basic and few are just max defaults........coz my paint program crashed....and wont be reinstallin it any time soon......even the rigs not perfect......was a pain tryin to rig that cloth on the chest.....mostly just arranged it in place for the still..........done with the modelling though...so lemme know what u'all think......

will try and post some traditional pics of hanuman as it has been comin down over the ages...when i get the time(wont let the thread die).......updates in a month...hope i dont lose my viewers!!:D....thanks all.

hells angel
30-04-2004, 11:09 AM
and heres the textured one.....like i said...updates in a month.

01-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Looks very good. One thing 'tho: play more with the shaders for cloth. For now the cloth looks too masive, maybe you will think to make it thiner. And you must decide what material is because it will help you establish the shaders more easily.

hells angel
01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
thanks avatar...my bad...probably should have been more specific about whats incomplete.....the only complete thing in the pictures would be the model....(except the mace)...and the face textures as seen earlier.....the rest ..as in body...clothes....accessories...all of that has just been pushed in with some default maps ....nuthin even slightly specific......the cloth and everythin has been given a standard phong shader with default values.....sorry bout that....but i'll be textruing this only when i next find the time...that would be in a month........the complete body still has to be textured...even the fur txture isnt final....but will keep ur suggestion in mind when i do start...thanks:)

FireJin3
02-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Awesome monkey, looks very cartoonish-3d to me.
A little more muscle definition would satisfy me more, but this is really awesome.

hells angel
02-05-2004, 08:23 PM
thank firejin3....although i wanst really goin for any style...just tryin to make it as good as i could..:)...
and i tried not to add too much muscle definition coz most of it is covered by fur...so it wont be visible....thanks:)

heres a link to hanuman's history for anyone interested..
http://www.hinduism.co.za/hanuman.htm

and i'm also attachin one of the most standard traditional images of hanuman....cheers.

nico3d
03-05-2004, 11:49 AM
wow, your hanuman looks amaaaazing, hells !

One thing I would tweak would be the way the red belt around his waiste falls. It doens't look natural, it doesn't look soft and smooth as a piece of fabric, instead it looks rigid..

But, that's a minor thing really, compared to how great the whole character is.

kameswaran
03-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi hells angel ,
Nice work,
Well I felt that u must give a heroic face; this face looks like a villan. If u comparing the model with hanuman its about the mouth which will have center cut joining the nostrils and he looks old in this he must be young.

Regards
kameswaran
www.kameswaran.com

Dragonkiss
04-05-2004, 12:30 AM
hell man, very nice modeling, but you know it already :), i had a question how did you do for the texture? did you use photoshop? i like the masse texture very much, it's look very realistic, did you had a noise? i'm trying to make a good texture for my half ogre with deep paint 3D hope it will look as good as your, continue want to see more...:)

hells angel
04-05-2004, 09:15 AM
thanks a lot all u guys!!:)

nico3D : thanks dude....well...as i mentioned earlier the texturin on the cloth hasnt been done...so it wouldnt look like fabric right now..theres not a single map on it right now.....and i will probably add a few more flow lines on it...thanks anyways:)

kameswaran :...always nice to see an indian commenting on this character..:).....although i must disagree with u on a few things....contrary to popular beleif of gods bein heroic and demons being scary.....hanuman had a terryfying countenance and it wasnt until he greeted Sri Ram that his intellect came to light....and on the other hand...the demon king ravana who is always portrayed as scary was supposedly one of the most handsome male specimens.......about the mouth...well the cut was mostly depicted in artistic representations....when i checked actual references of monkeys the seperation was very subtle so i thought i'd define it with a bump rather than model it.........although i do agree that he looks a little old....probably coz of the hair.....will look into it....thanks:)

Dragonkiss :thanks man.....i did all the textures using photoshop"(although the face is the only completed texture!!).....the mace and the gold ornaments where the only ones for which i used the ready made darktree textures(Simbiont MAx).....will be replacing them with painted textures for the final render.......happy to know that finally my texture work is being liked.....now only if i could do the same in lighting!!:D

like i said...updates not any time soon.....but always open to suggestions...thanks all.

05-05-2004, 02:24 AM
I must agree with hells about the apereance of the divine beings. For example, the archangel Gabriel (Gavri'il) that is the angel of death is described to have his body covered in eyes and mouths as many as are people on earth. The archangel Michael had wings so huge that could spread from east to west and its know that he never laughed. Being terible is one of the charateristic of divine beings.

ColeKindred
05-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Incrediable. I love the monkey god :). My only suggestion lies with the design of the mace. I think your going for a clasical realistic indian mace wich is cool. One thing though it lacks the detail that the rest of the character has. I think This problem could be eaisly fixed by adding some detail to the handle, like wrapings, or engravings on the mace head. I admit my feelings about the mace are purly personal opinion, I just wanted to let you know cuz I like this work so much. Keep it up. :)

ColeKindred
05-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Incrediable. I love the monkey god :). My only suggestion lies with the design of the mace. I think your going for a clasical realistic indian mace wich is cool. One thing though it lacks the detail that the rest of the character has. I think This problem could be eaisly fixed by adding some detail to the handle, like wrapings, or engravings on the mace head. I admit my feelings about the mace are purly personal opinion, I just wanted to let you know cuz I like this work so much. Keep it up. :)

saby
05-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Hey angel I love your work. And this one is awesome.;)

hells angel
07-05-2004, 05:01 AM
thanks for the backup avatar.....and now that u mention it....thats a very close similarity between the angel Gabriel and the indian rain god and king of gods Indra....he too has his body covered in as many eyes as there are stars in the sky....:)

thanks colekindred.....yeah...i know the mace needs detailing....havent really got down to doin it yet...like i mentioned earlier this model is far from over.....so will be addin a lot of details and engravings on the mace......keep watching!!:D

thanks a lot saby....much appreciated....:)

wow...and i finally see that this thread has five stars!!...yippeee!!!:D and to think this happens when i stop workin on the model.......guess i'll have to get back to this soon!!...cant wait:)....cya all with an update as soon as i can!!

jawahar
08-05-2004, 08:51 AM
wow,looks great man. i think u could work more on the clothing and maybe add some onaments too.looking forward to updates.:)

hells angel
11-05-2004, 09:38 AM
thanks jawahar....yeah...will be addin more accessories...about the clothing...if its textures u mean...then i did mention earlier that these are defaults.........if its modelling....then pls tell me how it could look better.....
like i said i wont be gettin much time to work on this character right now.....just tried some rig tests....did find some faults with the rig......will be fixin it soon.....here are the renders.....removed textures for the time being to fasten render time......updates will come soon:)

hells angel
11-05-2004, 09:41 AM
rig test 2....

TheOne
11-05-2004, 09:54 AM
WOW! :!!!: :eek:
Amazing work, you are doing a really great job! keep posting!

Desmark
11-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Aww, that last pose is lovely. I can just see him now with all the trimmings from the earlier renderings.:drool: Lovely work chap.

Des

dave12
12-05-2004, 06:44 AM
yea man this is pretty cool. nothing else i can say but lets see him move! Hint hint Animation

hells angel
12-05-2004, 09:24 AM
thanks a lot all u guys!!......will try to put up renders of all the poses with full textures much later.......exams gonna get over on the 9th of june....so more texture updates only after that....
tryin rig tests now...so that i can animate him later...make a short flick to use in my "non existent" reel!!:).......although i do have plans to set up a scene from the epic....but thats gonna kill my machine!!...so lets see!!....more poses soon..:)

13-05-2004, 12:36 AM
I see you have to study very carefull the pose because you don't want important details on your character to be lost. So don't try to go with a "show muscles" pose, but more with a "show personality".
Ex: If it was a proud character, a stiff pozition, legs spread appart, chest and chin up, one eyebrow slightly up, small smile in a corner of its mouth...

It also seems that you still have problem with the bracelets. I used to cut down pieces directlu from my character's meshes then adjust them and extrude them to make bracelets fit arms and legs.

Anyways, you did a great job until now. Congrats! Goodluck with the exams!

hells angel
14-05-2004, 11:10 AM
yeah... i did notice that my character was losin personality with all those poses.....finally settled on a pose but will be puttin that up only durin the final render.....its pretty close to ur example..:)..about the bracelets...guess i'll have to manually moce them after posing.....coz right now they're just linked to the bone.........
anyways....a few days ago a friend did mention that the cloth hanuman has across the chest looks like a bikini top!!..and havent been able to get that image outta my head since!!....so changed the accessories......lemme know what u ppl think about it this time.....i guess this is gonna be my final on the accessories...wont be addin anythin else unless someone comes up with a good sugestion........will start texturig this soon.....updates comin asap!!:)

15-05-2004, 12:59 AM
The new clothing is looking great. I have some doubts about the feathers on the arm, near the bracelet but its just my personal opinion. The pose is great for your character. It shows strenght and personality so I would advise you to stick with it. Good luck with the texturing!

prats
15-05-2004, 05:07 AM
I agree with Avatar abt the pose now....but i'm still not so sure abt the accessories...they dont look too comfortable on him..

hells angel
16-05-2004, 10:47 PM
thanks Avatar.....although there will be slight modifications to the pose when he holds his mace...plannin on placing him on a hilltop or cliff with one leg holdin on to the edge........about that bracelet...those were suposed to be dried leaves..which would've been shown only after texturing.....but i didnt like the look too after posting....so decided to change that completely....might change the chain hes wearin a little too......and gonna detail the shoulder gaurd a little.....(looks like i'm never gonna finish modelling!!)...

prats: the accessories might not look comfy coz of the scale.....but considerin his strength e should be able to pull it off like a dream......and what i was tryin to work on was the fact that in tribes and clans....the seniority is usually decided by the elaborateness of their costumes.....and he was their top warrior and minister.

anyways....hope to put up osme updates soon....though i did notice that i lost a star!!(damn:D)...probably cos of just puttin up rig tests....hah..anyways....will try and put up those updates on accessories soo.....cya soon.

Woody
17-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Nice updates, hells angel. I really like all the clothes and complements, they give lot of life to the model.

hells angel
17-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks woody.if u like these clothes then i'm sure u'll like whats comin up....changed the left bracelet and detailed the shoulder guard....gave him a few finger rings on his right hand....might give him something more....will put updates as soon as i can coz currently havin problems with the net server on my side....cya.

18-05-2004, 02:18 AM
Ever though to make a tatoo to show like a patern on the fur?

Nappa
18-05-2004, 08:05 AM
man i cant wait to see a finish render maybe him fighting off some bad guys !?! i think this make a good poster or t shirt

rubberduck
18-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Avatar-3DT
The new clothing is looking great. I have some doubts about the feathers on the arm, near the bracelet but its just my personal opinion. The pose is great for your character. It shows strenght and personality so I would advise you to stick with it. Good luck with the texturing!

I agree too on that;)

hells angel
19-05-2004, 08:53 AM
hey thanks a lot all u guys...

Avatar :yeah..i was plannin on makin a tatoo but now with all the accessories i'm wonderin where to put it....

Nappa : thanks man....still time for the final render......have to figure out what designs to put in......

rubberduck : yeah...the leaves didnt work with me too...so i changed it...hope u like this..:)

changed the accessories......put in a lot of new ones...hope u guys like it.....although i've come up with a new problem....firstly i get the feeling tht the image is too cluttered.......and secondly due to the number of faces on all the accessories and the fur to add to it...my comp just dies on me......so i was wonderin if i should go back to the initial simple bracelets and cloth look with the fur and try addin tattos and stuff on the fur and try and omit all the complex accessories....would like ur advise on this.....

this is probably gonna be the final pose....with his leg on the edge of a cliff........still have to build a background....lemme know what u guys think....thanks...cya soon:)

CountZero
19-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Nice character. The pose you have in your ivatar is cooler IMO. The new pose looks very good on the upper body but the pose of the legs doesn't show "coolness" in the same way as the upper body does.

20-05-2004, 03:01 AM
The left leg should have a more frontal position. Maybe you should think at some simpler accesories if your comp is not suporting the scene. I got the same problem once and for a long time I stood with a nice scene in my comp, but with no means whatsoever to realize it.
As for the tatoo, even on the face should work one. But if you go with less accesories I guess this won't be a problem anymore.

T0XIC
20-05-2004, 03:15 AM
I think I agree with you that it's becoming a bit cluttered- and the accesories are becoming a bit eclectic- The left arm bracer thing looks like it came off a zerg (starcraft) or something from the "Aliens" movies. And the thing on the right leg looks like a knights gear. I guess I'm saying you just have to keep this guy tribal looking.
it's still excellent work, I think it's just getting a little unfocused ;)

hells angel
20-05-2004, 10:26 AM
hey guys....guess i'm gonna rework the accessories and the pose......but this wont be soon...anyways...managed to finish a render with the previous pose and accessories...although these are NOT the final textures.........took 6hrs to render!!!on an amd 2400xp with 1gb ram and a geforce2 graphics card!!....

will put up updates when i can with a new pose and lesser accessories...cya:)

21-05-2004, 02:22 AM
A bit too dark for me but it can be my monitor. Looking great but would look better if you will work some background for him. Good luck and see you with a new project!

Cyrenn
21-05-2004, 08:54 PM
I was following your thread awhile ago. Sorry I haven't posted sooner.

I love your concept of the monkey god. looks really cool. Especially his outfit.

Keep up the good work.

WIP - Android 69
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=195676#post195676

BloodKiller
22-05-2004, 02:20 AM
damn it looks soo good!!!! in what program did u make it?

hells angel
22-05-2004, 11:50 AM
hey guys.....been reworkin my character.....left out a few accessories....and finalised a few textures......

Avatar....dont give up on me man!!...this project isnt over yet!!:).

Toxic....yeah..i did notice me gettin outta focus...so changed the accessories...thanks man!!:)

Count....hope this pose is cool enuf!!:D

Thanks Cyrenn and bloodkiller...well...i've been using Max all along!!:)

heres the final render of the character with textures....the pic on the right is somethin i'm tryin out just to get a feel of the background...lemme know what u guys think so i can start modellin it.........and btw....the mace is still pending...so please ignore that!!:)...cya soon:)

BloodKiller
22-05-2004, 10:57 PM
hmmm im trying out maya but i see that most of the good works are in max and im willing to try it out so can you PM me with a few good tutorials?

hmm and you can see only the head in the pictures above

vishnu_venky
23-05-2004, 05:16 AM
but only one crit

i dont think hanuman wears a necklace of tooth.....i maybe wrong.

hells angel
23-05-2004, 02:13 PM
hey guys...sorry bout that last error in the image....well took it off...and i've managed to finish the mace too....

Bloodkiller : always been loyal to max dude....i've heard a lot of people talk bout what maya can do but never took a step to learn it...:)......if u want good tutorialsthen u can try the ones that are on the 3dtotal tutorial section....those have helped me a lot....also the ones on cgtalk.......all the best on that.......
and thanks a lot for pointin out the error in the image...i was in such a hurry to post and log off that i didnt bother checkin the image...wont make that mistake again!!:)

Vishnu_venky : dude...the tooth necklace was an aspect of creativity!!:D....coz i'm sure nobody really knows what hanuman actually wore!!:).....thanks anyways

well...posting the images again.......the one on the left is the finished textured version of the character....the image on the right is just a background i painted to get a feel.....will be posting this on the finished sections only once i'm done with the background....so would love to have that supprot i've been gettin so far to keep goin!!...thanks all....cya soon with an update!!:)

prats
23-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I like that last render...it look interesting..what have u planned for the environment?

the mace does look good too...

there's one thing...the shine on his coat at the torso...does it require that much shine?

23-05-2004, 11:36 PM
The blue background render looks better because make your character stand forth. As for a background, as he was a guardian, I suggest something like a dor with ruined walls around it. In the background a menacing redish sky with heavy clouds.

BloodKiller
24-05-2004, 02:18 AM
The new render rules! i love the new one with the blue sky...

ok now two things...
1) If you can then post a WireFrame picture of the modeland how many poly it is.
2) add me to ICQ if you can i would like to talk with you abit and ask some advise: 170174923

hells angel
24-05-2004, 03:33 AM
prats..: thanks....yeah...i got that complaint from a few friends here too....guess i'll be removin the backlight once i finalise the background.....although i still havent planned one...

Avatar: yeah...gonna have a sky in the baclkground...still deciing...although i must say....i dont know what made u think he was a guardian....i dont rem postin anythin like that....sorry if i have......he was the minister to the king and a warrior.....lets see if i can come up with some background ideas....any help would be really appreciated...

Bloodkiller...:...thanks a lot man...heres the wire u asked for.....

will try and have updates soon:)

BloodKiller
24-05-2004, 03:41 AM
thx for the pic hells angel
damn it rules!
good luck with the background and the rest of the stuff
hmm if he was a warrior then i think that in the background it would be nice to see that a war is going on hmmm red background... but after all its your choice :)

Xerxes
24-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Not bad work... I like it..

25-05-2004, 02:04 AM
It might have been just my impression but the ruins background still goes since his mace seems to be capable of this kind of mess;)

hells angel
11-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Back in action...after a really frustratin phase of exams!!.....
gonna start on that background soon.......still tryin to work the details so that the background doesnt overpower the character....wanna keep it simple with minimum elements.....anyways......will put up updates soon...cya.

11-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Still here waiting. How you did with the exams?

hells angel
13-06-2004, 12:29 PM
the exams were good..thanks Avatar:)..the improtant thing is that they're done with!!:D...
havent really been able to do much on the final image since i've been busy schedulin my other work.......
anyways...heres a liitle snack while u wait.....this is a close up that i rendered with a normal sky image....and did some post work in photoshop.....didnt wanna put this up on the final forum coz i noticed that a few areas (like the teeth on the cloth on his chest) need texturing.....and i wanted a more dramatic(if thats the word) final image with a fullshot of the characters and a descriptive background.......
anyways...i would like to know what ppl think bout this image......cya soon:)

Nibby
13-06-2004, 12:39 PM
looks cool hells. i'm new to this place but this thread has been a great read. cant wait to see what you got planned for the scenery.

Woody
13-06-2004, 03:26 PM
I really like the image and the expression, except two things. As you said, the teeth needs texturing and the background... But you said your gonna work on that, so with that changes it can be a really great final image. Looking forward to see it!!

jawahar
13-06-2004, 03:31 PM
love the updates,keep up the good work :)

nico3d
13-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Vivek, the image with hanuman in front of it looks cool in composition terms, but the background doesn't look good. If you look a the image there's no difference between the character and the background, it looks flat and Hanuman should come out more....
You should definitely have to add depth of field as in portrait photography.....trying to detach what you are trying to portrait from its background.
Check portrait photography, that'll give you a great hint to composite images.....

hells angel
14-06-2004, 09:16 AM
thanks guys.....hope i finish that background soon.....
nick: like i mentioned...this aint the final background.....just playin around......tried blurrin thebackground....but wasnt much of a point blurrin it beyond a certain point.....anyways.....hope to get back with an update soon.....cya guys...and thanks for all the support and help:)

Karikoga
14-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Eye-candy, eye-candy, eye-candy!!!!.......If this thread was edible we would all be needing really serious dentists...
Yo, hells angel - that closeup is soo cool, though I agree about the background....
Juss luv it!!!

14-06-2004, 12:52 PM
I see you are going for tones of details buddy! :D
If may I have a suggestion for you: instead of building a background right behind Hanuman, build it in a separate scene, using measurements and the same lighting. Then make it a jpeg and put it as and enviromental background. It will save you render time.

hells angel
15-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Karikoga :..hehehe....thanks dude!!....looks like u've kept up ur side of the deal of being my monkey gods loyal subject.....i'll try and keep my end and give u somethin worth the wait!!:)

Avatar :...details have always been my shortcoming before...so thought i'd try and fix that this time........will keep ur suggestion in mind....did think of that but was wonderin how to work the shadow of the character into the background......tryin to look up some compositing tutorials........guess this is gonna take a while.....
cya'll soon with some kinda update:)

15-06-2004, 11:18 AM
You could build the shadows in photoshop or you can use a low poly version of your scene with a matte/shadow material.

hells angel
19-06-2004, 10:32 AM
tryin out the matte shadow......never used it before....readin up on it.....
meanwhile....couldnt come up with a decent background yet....but an idea for an animation did pop into my head.....so thought i'd start of with that for the time being..........but stuck here too...having problems with the dynamic simulations of the accessories.......my comp doesnt seem to be able to handle it......and the preview size is about 42 mb(cinepack codec)........maybe i'll render a movie in shades of grey using divx and with minimum accessories(sounds more achievable) and without fur......will try and be back with updates soon.....cya

19-06-2004, 02:43 PM
What I suggest here might seem complicated but it can help you achieve your means. Take your character and animate it without any ornaments, without fur and unsmoothed. Make the simulation of the dinamic objects but the character should be unsmoothed and without fur. Then make a simulation for hair on a smoothed character without anyother objects on it. Merge the scenes togeder deleting only the doubles of Hanuman, keeping the fur and the dinamic objects.
As for matte/shadow is a material. Click on the Standard button in material library and change your material with Matte/shaddow material. Activate "receive shadows" and asign it to your object.
All this if you are using Max.

ssingh
19-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Man thats a great model and the textures are starting to look great can't wait to see the finished product.Keep up the good work.

hells angel
20-06-2004, 12:54 PM
thanks avatar....kinda figured what u were tryin to say.....but the problem is that that method only works for the accessories....and not for the hair.....coz the base mesh of the hair has a physique modifier to it...and if i merge the two seperate scenes..then i'll have two bipeds in one scene for a single character...and this makes my comp even slower.......so guess i'll have to see how far i can tweak those dynamics.......i managed to animate the accessories finally....manually animated them...no simulations....looks fine right now......will work on that matte shadows tip...thanks.

ssingh: thanks man.....hopefully i should have that finished image anytime now..:)

well...here are two image renders of the animation....will be renderin them with textures once i'm finished with the animation.....only the fur dynamics...and the drape in front of his waist is left to be animated(might use cloth sim for the latter or maybe manual animation using ffd).........once animation is done...have to start detailing the background...the background for this animation is a normal grassy plain with a rock surface jutting out on which my character stands..........lights will be worked on at the end....cya'll soon:)

hells angel
20-06-2004, 12:58 PM
second image.....btw...this animation is about 30 secs long.

prats
22-06-2004, 04:15 PM
I love the close-up..its really got some character..keep it up...but like u said..the background needs a lot of depth to show hanuman in his element.
Waiting to see the animation....

nico3d
22-06-2004, 07:25 PM
SUPERB poses !!

hells angel
26-06-2004, 09:10 AM
thanks ppl.....
well...finished the animation....now the huge task of rendering.........tryin to render the different sections of background...foreground..and character in parts......saves render time....and my machine doesnt curse me.....anyways...hopw the render finishes soon..so that i can post it......and will try workin on the still after that.......cya soon...tc all:)

rahil
26-06-2004, 10:49 AM
hi...nice work uve done...ive seen ur work since initial stages it has come up really gud..looking forward to see ur animation as well...where do u live in india ...do u do job or ur a student...

hells angel
03-07-2004, 01:22 AM
hey rahil...thanks man...
well the animations almost done.....just doin some rnd to get optimum render time and not compromise quality......should be done in a week.....
well i'm currently in pune.....i'm workin and studyin.......where are u from.....lemme know.....

hope to have some updates in here soon....cya guys:)

rahil
03-07-2004, 01:46 AM
hey hi...i msgd u on ur yahoo id i guess u were not online..well iam from hyd and im working as well...lemme know when u will b online so that we can talk....and yes waiting to see ur animation as well...c ya...

Pikmin
04-07-2004, 05:28 AM
Hi, first time I read the threat so I didnt read all the critic. So heres my.

The proportion really bug me. I mean all the body seem weird. The arm, chest, abs, legs and arm. (I know maybe its the style you want, but seem weird). Check the hand and feet also, I think you should add more curve or maybe more style in these parts.

Some muscle look flat , like in the back.

Your charactere look better with fur.

hells angel
04-07-2004, 09:22 PM
hey pikmin.....sorry that the proportions bug u man....but like i've mentioned..thats the way i wanted it to be.....but i do appreciate u sayin this....and what exactly did u mean byt adding more style??.....lemme know....although i wont be changin this model..maybe i can look it up the next time i work on a model......

and since u like the fur render.....well....thats a relief:)...coz hes always gonna have fur:)...thanks though...

well...still been tweakin with that animation.....cant get the lights right.....been tweakin for a long while now.....need ur help guys.....coz i cant find any decent lighting tutorials online...just lighting fundamentals.........and test renderin this every time is really killin me!!...so lemme know how to fix this......puttin up the render....cya guys soon.

hells angel
04-07-2004, 09:29 PM
btw..the white patch inside the mouth is a deleted face......noticed it only after animation....so didnt wanna rework the model....but will be fixing it.......cya.

BloodKiller
04-07-2004, 09:33 PM
verry nice!

can you post a wire plz

hells angel
07-07-2004, 09:36 AM
almost done with the light setup......few tweaks left....had a problem though...
the grass in the foreground is way too sharp....need to know if there wa any way of blurring just the foreground without using DOF......coz using Dof pumps up my render time......hope i get some answers...thanks...cya guys.

prats
19-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi...Its been some time since we saw an update...what's been happening???

hells angel
20-07-2004, 02:01 AM
hey prats.....nice to see a response on this thread after sooo long..:).....should have an update soon.......coz i just finished renderin the animation(2 weeks!!!).....a little post work left.....so will be puttin up a link soon.......and have to finish that still image.....(damn background!!)......will try and put a few updates as soon as i can.....keep watching:)....cya guys soon..take care.

nico3d
20-07-2004, 02:07 AM
I love it more and more, vivek !!!

BTW, how did you learn to use shag hair? did you do an online tutorial>?

hells angel
20-07-2004, 02:31 AM
thanks nick....
well i did get a few tutorials from 3dtotal...and then mr_makaveli on page 2 gave me a few links which really helped......and then the usual trial and error and tweaks......coz this was the first time i used shag hair.....
nice to know it turned out well:)

hells angel
24-07-2004, 01:52 AM
hey guys.....i'm having a major problem with my finished animation.....its a 980 frame(32 secs) animation....640x480.....avi file...but after compressing with divx and tryin to maintain the best quality i cant seem to squeeze it any lesser than 7.5 mb.......thats causing a problem coz i cant find any free web space that lets me upload more than 5 mb at a time........
so if any guys out there have any suggestions regarding file compression....or free web space with more upload lits......or file conversion.....anything that can help me it'd be great.......thanks a bunch.....cya:)

24-07-2004, 03:00 AM
What kind of compressor did you used? Try xvid compression with virtualdub modifier program.

hells angel
25-07-2004, 03:09 AM
i got the max compression with divx.....i tried xvid...but wasnt as good as divx......anyways..will try a few tweaks on bitrates again....although i'm tryin a hand at binkvideo...seems to be a good option....wish me luck!!:)

Mwhahaha
27-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Hey Monkey.

I love your project.

I have tons of web space you can upload your animation to.

Just send me a PM and I will set up.

hells angel
27-07-2004, 01:59 AM
hey monkey lover..:)

thanks man...although i did find some webspace with unlimited upoad....although if i do face problems i'll definitely look u up!!thanks:)

PerCevan
27-07-2004, 02:39 AM
ya man! .. really cool monkeyman there ;) great concept indeed!
I got som problem with the fur to my current model, and now when i saw urs.. i just fall in love in a sec :p I just MUST learn something here.. do u use a plugin in in some form? in that case what its name? well well.. again ! love ur model! cheers!

hells angel
29-07-2004, 02:36 AM
hey percevan...thanks man...
well the fur is done using a plugin called shag hair....u can find tutorials for it on the 3dtotal sites ...u can find a demo download of it on the digimation site......hope it helps..
well...my animation is done and i should be uploadin it with my brand new site on sunday....so wish me luck...and see ya guys soon:)

creativscorpion
30-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Hey dude...
where do u put up in india...
i'm from delhi.....
ur work is awesomeee.......
that modelling skill and that texturing ability is just mind blowing...
but jus 1 criticism

it looks too evil to be HANUMAN
really man .....
otherwise the model is quite unbelievable.....
also what system r u using...

hells angel
31-07-2004, 02:55 AM
hey scorpion..
i'm from pune....and thanks a lot for the compliments..:)...nice to know u liked my work!!:).
as for that "evil" look....hehehe....if u go a few pages ahead and read my replies u'll know why my hanuman looks like that....kinda amusing now to see how i've shaken up the hanumans image for soo many indians....but trust me dude...i have good reason:D...
well my system is an amd athlon2400....1gb ram with an onboard geforce2.....
anyways....wacth this space.coz i'll be puttin up my link to the animation soon...cya:)

31-07-2004, 06:19 AM
UPDATES!!! GIVE US UPDATES!!!:o :halo:

ColeKindred
31-07-2004, 09:45 PM
The last pic you posted with the test render could use some work. The rock hes standing on look like it has some texture stretching probablems. As far as lighting go's for outdoor scenes try setting up basic 3 point lighting with a low key to fill ratio like 1:1.5 or 1:2 Then just add lights to fill in the places that are too dark at a really low intensity without spec highlights. I realize it's not done but the environment could use more detail in order for it to be at the same lvl as the monkey

The monkey look great :)

hells angel
02-08-2004, 02:00 AM
updates comin right up Avatar!!:D

thanks for the tips Cole Kindred....but i've let the fat lady sing on this one!!...so will keep those pointers in mind for the next one.....although my final animation has come a distance from the last posted image.......cya in a bit.:)

hells angel
02-08-2004, 02:40 AM
well....my sites up with the animation.....finally completed it...and checked the link on the site to see that everythings ok.....heres the link..
my site (http://cloud.prohosting.com/vivekr)

the site design is very basic...did it in a hurry.....i've also put up this link on the final animations section.and the final 3d art section........anyways...lemme know what u guys think.....this image is from the animation.....thanks for all the support...this is me signin off:)

prats
02-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi....Was waiting for ages to see this and now the link doesn't work:( .....

Chokin Hazardô
02-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmmmmm I thought Avatar was already dead........
just j/k:D

Nice Model BTW

hells angel
03-08-2004, 12:34 AM
thanks chokin hazard!:)

sorry bout the server glitch prats....couldnt find a better server...have asked around if anyone can host my animation....till then i think this will have to do...the animation does download if u have a download accelerator....and u'll need a divx player to play it.....hope u guys get to see my animation soon.....cya:)

hells angel
03-08-2004, 01:34 AM
http://www.phantom-works.com/monkeygod/baahubali.avi

u can find the animation here if the other link doesnt work.....thanks to my friend Mwhahaha....

jawahar
03-08-2004, 02:20 AM
looks really awesome,vivek.would love to see more animation of him.i see u added arena to the credits ,which city are u in ,i used to teach at arena ,rajouri garden,delhi 4 yers ago.:)
good luck with the rest of the reel and the job.:)
jawahar

ColeKindred
03-08-2004, 09:54 AM
I watched your animation. Really nice. I expecially like that you took the time to animate the grass and blowing stuff and such.

A couple suggestions. I like that you made the character breath (I havn't yet taken the time to do that with my charactors) However thiers a wierd poping with the breathing. Rather then an natural gradual inhale and exhale your characters chest pops out in what looks like one or two frames. This gives the apperence of a texture swap. Thiers a place earlier where for a few frames the texture goes crazy on his chest as well. (looks like fire inside him shining through his skin er something) This looks like a mistake though I'm not sure what could cause this which makes me wonder if it was intentional. If so you should make it more obvious or hold the changed texture for longer. Also You should change the texture gradualy. If it's not intentional you may want to re-render those frames as its a little distracting.

Another thing is the camera looks really mechanical (very 3d) Personaly from a filmmakers perspective I would try to make the camera look more natural. Adding a little noise to the movement starting around 10 or so frames before the camera begines to move and lasting untill 10 or so frames after the movement stops can really help add a more natural feel. (if your using 3d studio just add a position list controler to the camera target and add noise as one of the controlers on the list) I think the movements you choose are valid though personaly I think I would choose to cut after the first dolly or in the middle of the second dolly and then create a new comp. That however is just personal opinion.

You also have some crazy flicker with the shadows in the grass could be caused by the white particals (you may want to turn thier shadows off) or something else its hard to tell.

Lastly the tail is really cool. however it waving back and forth at the end of the shot dosn't look compleatly natural. though this may just be due to the angle. (it looks cool untill the close up)

Overall you have a really good piece with lots of detial. I hope I wasn't too anal but I wanted to take the time to give you a good crit cuz I could tell you took the time to make this a nice piece. Really enjoyed watching can't wait to see the finished short. :)

(I have to reinstall Microsoft works NO SPELLCHECK ARRRGGHHHH LOL) :)

hells angel
03-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Jawahar: thanks a lot .....happy to have dished out quality in the end..coz i usually tend to drop the ball right at the finish line
well..i'm from pune...teachin at the fc road branch(part time)....
i plan to work on four more animations with different characters...and maybe add one more animation of hanuman!!.....btw...where are u from??...dont think i asked u before....where u workin?..lemme know...thanks again..tc...bye

ColeKindred : must i say i am really flattered and honoured hat someone has taken the time and atience to go through my animation enuf number of times so as to give me such great constructive tips:).....well for all those crits....i did notice those flaws too(yes those are flaws)....but only after i spent 2 weeks tryin to render all those 980 frames...(considering i've never spent so much time on one project it would have really killed me to rework and re render the frames!!)...sorry bout the unprofessional approach there but i promise i'll be more careful next time.....well the reason they appear are...

1. the texture swap that u noticed was coz the hair shapes that make up the fur werent properly linked to the breathin manipulator(i used link xform for breathing with soft selection cos morph was givin good results...)so everytime he inhaled or exhaled the furwould deform in a funny way....and the point where he takes a really deep breath his skin pops through the fur..so thats what makes it look like a texture swap......i couldnt fix it even after i saw the error.....u'll have to excuse that coz this is my first time with shag fur:)

2. the camera suggestion sounds great...didnt consider it earlier...will definitely use it in my next animation....thanks a ton:)

3.the flicker on the grass was again unavoidable....i tried excluding the particles...the instanced geometry..created a seperate light for the particles....but nuthin seemed to work to get that flicker off....and like other things..this again was only noticed after the final render......:(..although i'm still not sure how to gt rid of it.

4.i'll check up on the tail again...but like u said ...it probably is coz o the angle....due to the length of the tail...it wouldnt look nice if i made an extra sway in the mid section...this way then the tail would start goin though the ground....

thanks a ton though.... were a great help...its crits like this that have helped me so far on this project(u've probably seen the change in quaity over the starting few pages)....and i'm always lookin forard to suggestions like these......although i will have to dissapoint u...there is no short film to this character in the pipeline......my next character which i start in a week is a mythical god too...so maybe i'll pit both against each other..........i'd like to know more about u and ur film background coz i'm sure i can learn more from u.....do pm me some time.....thanks again.....cya'all..tc...bye:)

prats
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi Vivek.....

Finally downloaded ur animation...and I must say, the final output is very interesting....I have one crit though...don't know if its intended to be like that....but when the character beats his chest and shouts..its looking a lil unnatural...

The way the dhoti's vastra moves with the wind is awsome....its so beautifully textured too......loved that..

So what do u teach at Arena? I just finished a short course from Arena at Bangalore.

hells angel
04-08-2004, 12:42 AM
hey prats:)....
good to know u liked it:)....and that i've lived up to expectations:)...
well dunno what exactly u meant by unnatural...coz i spent hours shouting and beating my chest in front of the mirror to get the hand motion right....u should have seen the initial movement!!...looked like he was shakin salt!!:P...hehehe.....

anyways...i teach 3dsmax at arena .....just started teachin a month ago.....a whole new experience,...its not like i gotta be a pro to teach...coz i'm sure i can impart "some " knowledge:)........thanks for checkin this out...do keep an eye out for my next project which is gonna start soon:)

keeper01in
04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
U teach in arena thats great and ur character is also great just awesome. I am just two months old in max. i have posted my second character under the subject "Demon lost his skin" and can't texture it. it would be great if u could give me some insights on how u textured the face of Hanuman or atleast tell me where i could find some tutorial for character texturing

keeper01in
04-08-2004, 12:36 PM
did u use skin or physique. Also would be great i f u could attach some photos showing the envelope.

hells angel
08-08-2004, 12:18 PM
hey keeper.....thanks a lot man:)
firstly..all the best with ur 3d endeavour......threedy is the best place to learn.....i'll check up ur post for sure....although i've been really killed for time lately:)...if u need to know how i textured the face u can go through the first few pages of this thread.....i've explained it all there as and when i upgraded my texturing skills......actually u can find my complete progress in this thread......i used physique .....i'll try and attach some images soon.....cya around bro.....tc:)

hells angel
15-08-2004, 09:32 PM
hey guys...been gettin a lot of complaints regardin my links to the prohosting server....and now they've disabled it...guess its coz of traffic limitations......well...i've put it up on my geocities space...so u can check my work here too....
my site (http://www.geocities.com/keviv_98)

the animation can be found on the animation section....u'll have to run a "save target as" when u see the thumbnail image..heres a direct link to the animation page..
animation (http://www.geocities.com/keviv_98/animation_2004.htm)

havent started on the next character yet....but will soon.....cya:)

Mwhahaha
17-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Hey Angel,

I was checking the web stats and all seems fine on my server. It may have been down or something while some were trying to download but I have only used about 7% of my monthly bandwidth so far. So keep serving up, we have plenty of traffic space.

http://www.phantom-works.com/monkeygod/baahubali.avi

hells angel
22-08-2004, 04:56 AM
thanks Mwhahaha....i checked it on my end too...seems to wokr without a glitch.....anyways.....been reworkin that character a bit so guys should be seein somethin again soon......will tell u why soon...(hush hush!!:P)........as for ur comment....well...i am plannin a bigger animation of this character......including a fight scene of sorts....although this will be a while.....do watch this space though.....update comin up in a few days......cya:)

hells angel
24-08-2004, 12:12 AM
rejection can be a very funny thing....well i submitted the 2nd image on this thread for a gallery entry but was rejected....thought it probably was a problem with composition so took it up as a challenge and reworked the whole characters feel.......but gettin rejected a second time was kindofa a surprise and definitely not anymore motivation....i do understand the guys who handle the galleries have loads of images to check and an automated response is justified.....but as for me....i'm callin and end to this character and moving on........so heres a close up face render to see what motivation did to me....and the final piece.....cya in my next thread....thaks all:)

hells angel
24-08-2004, 12:14 AM
and the final image....

nico3d
24-08-2004, 01:15 AM
Don't let yourself down Vivek, you have done a fantastic job, an amazing improvement from time to time.
The fact that the ones that select the images that apply for the gallery or not rejected you, that doesn't mean that your work isn't amazing.
There is a lot of subjectivity when it comes to art and design. THe works exhibited in the 3dtotal gallery are mostly amazing but there are quite a lot too that, to me, don't deserve a gallery place at all. I've seen images that are far inferior in quality.

So don't worry, you have done a terrific job and probably your next one will be even better. Not being accepted in the gallery means less than nothing.

dhruvsm
24-08-2004, 02:13 PM
hi...first congratulation for working on such a subject and a project of indian mythology...i think Hanumaan is one of the most interesting character in the Indian Epic...anyway...i've been following this link for a long long time and always wanted to reply...i think this is the time now!!!...very well done...i'm treing to load the animation...i hope it won't be less good!!!...keep it up...want to see some more of ur work!!!.....

i tried to follow ur siet link...i think there's some problem...can u fix it...!!??

dhruv

dhruvsm@yahoo.com

ps...from which part of India r u from!!!??...

Woody
24-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Much better the "after" version. I specially like the hair (probably cause now I'm working on it), it looks real. I now who I can ask if I have problems with shag... as the hair light position, for example... :mad:

rjsmal
24-08-2004, 05:54 PM
hells angel dont worry your work is a lot better then most of the pic's that are in the gallery's man 4 real keep doing your thang man.

peace

hells angel
25-08-2004, 03:00 AM
thank you nico3d,dhruvsm,woody and rjsmal...those are the kindest words:)
nico: my next ones definitely gonna be better man.....i promise..:)

dhruvsm: thanks man...well the animation quality isnt as good as the image...but i will work on it soon.....as for the link....i've put up my site on www.geocities.com/keviv_98

woody:feel free to ask man...although i'm, not sure how much i can help...this is my first time with shag too:)

rjsmal:,,thanks a lot....hope to see u again on my next thread:)

hells angel
26-08-2004, 02:21 AM
hey guys...well....a door does open somewhere!!....just got plugged on this site..
plug (http://www.digitalbacklot.com)
check it out.....cheers:)

ColeKindred
26-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Congrats :)

hells angel
29-08-2004, 04:54 AM
hey guys....well.....got another plug(www.evermotion.org)....and only a few complaints....(which i will be fixing only after a few months)....also will be reworkin the final look of my animation in a few months....but i guess with 200 replies on this........this is me signing off from this thread...and onto my next character.......thank u all for ur support...the experience has been great....thanks:)

30-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Well, you had an interesting trip with this one, didn't you. Anyways, I for one I'll be around to keep bugging you about a new character (or more) and perhaps another animation. Good luck with your next one!

Cyrenn
31-08-2004, 07:21 PM
I happen to download your animation. To be honest I was pretty impressed by it. I thought it was well put together. Good hussle on this character. That will be one for the portfolio.

Also I tip my hat off to you for going through and finishing your prodject from start to finish. : )Five stars for that as well as 5 for your model. :D

Good luck on your next model, looking forward to seeing what you will come up with next.

hells angel
05-09-2004, 10:40 PM
thanks avatar.....yeah..this was one helluva trip!!...learnt so much!!!!...and i do hope u bug me on my next character...:).....next one comin up in a few weeks....just a little tied up right now.....thanks a lot buddy.

thanks Cyrenn....well..this is the first project i went from start to finish with....and i'm really happy i did!!......although it looked like it would never have finished for me considerin how i kept reworkin...as a matter of fact..do plan to polish this up a little more in a few months..when i compile my full demo.......my next character is comin up in a few weeks...so stay tuned man...

for all those iinterested...i have a bio on the character..and a design workflow at this link...check it out...enjoy :)

bio and workflow of design (http://surfunion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1670&st=15&#entry21141)

truthhunter
09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
hells angel

hanuman had his hanu split by indra in a small fight over the sun god
so i think you should have maintained that look(split below the nose)
your hanuman seems angry where as all our good got a cute smiley face
you can feel the charm even if they are angry

the feet too looks more oversized than the actual

i say that hanuman of yours looks more like a ROUDRA ROOP (WAR AMBIGUATION)

BUT YOU KNOW
1.the work is great
2.texturing is great
3.physique is great (look more mightier than the original i like that)
4.the poses are great
5.the GADA (MACE IS GREAT)
6.the other ornaments are also great
7.clothes are well put

overall isay you rocked me i am your die hard fan now

it would be great if u could just as well post the whole tutorial in detail

Neomax
10-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Ohh man!
you going pertty nice!
I really liked the face of Hanuman it loooks damn Neat
5 stars from me too!

Neomax
10-08-2005, 12:29 AM
btw truthhunter: i agree to u... (r u maharshtrian?....just asking.)

hells angel
10-08-2005, 05:26 AM
woah!!!..major bounce.........this thread was down and out a yr ago!!!
neo max.....buddy...ur lookin at a year old thread......this isnt a latest update.....if u guys are lookin for latest updates follow my signature....cos this thread has been closed for ages.
truth hunter: hi....glad u liked my work....
about the description....well......i've explained that in the bios...u can check out why the angry look.....and the new one has a calmer feel anyways...
the broken bone was not under the nose...he breaks his left cheek bone on the fall as he hits a mountain...after being hit by indra's vajra...(valmiki ramayan)....which leads to a swollen jaw which leads to his name(hanu=jaw).....thats pretty much the reason i have his lower jaw protruding unlike an monkey..

anyways....i have to say this thread will not be seeing any updates..........:)any one else with queries on the conept please put it up in the new version or pm please:)...tc ppl.

truthhunter
17-08-2005, 01:19 PM
neo max right guess i am a maharastrian buddy

meramailboxx
25-05-2006, 12:44 AM
well....my sites up with the animation.....finally completed it...and checked the link on the site to see that everythings ok.....heres the link..
my site (http://cloud.prohosting.com/vivekr)

the site design is very basic...did it in a hurry.....i've also put up this link on the final animations section.and the final 3d art section........anyways...lemme know what u guys think.....this image is from the animation.....thanks for all the support...this is me signin off:)

nice work guyz but don u think gods use 2 wear crowns , i think u hv to use a crown in ur hanuman concept n plz uuse a little small feet well if u don hv crown ask me ill give u one in max format

bruce

sendhil
27-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Hells angel, Nice work... Keep it up.... Have a nice day....

Regards,

chiragtrivedi
14-09-2009, 03:08 PM
vivek bhai muje aap ke pic. achhe lagte he
aap aur achhe hanuman or shiva ke pic banaiye