View Full Version : constrain ground object
21-02-2005, 09:26 PM
This is probably really simple but I cant seem to get it to work.
How can I constrain an object at ground level to follow another object above it but not rise and fall with the higher object?
In other words I have a box up in the air that moves on all axis while the ground object below follows but is restricted to just two axis (in this case x and z ) Im trying to do this in 3dsmax 7.
22-02-2005, 06:36 AM
you'll be glad to hear that it's quite a quick and simple process
1. select the box in the air. right-click and select "wire-parameters" from the menu that pops up. then select "transform---->position---->x position"
2. a line appear coming from the box, so next you need to click on the ground object. from the menu that pops up, again select "transform---->position---->x position".
3. once this is done, the "parameter wiring" box appears. you simple click the arrow pointing to the right (in the middle of the 2 windows) which then turns yellow, and then hit "connect". close the parameter wiring box.
4. now when you move the box, the ground object should move with it in the x-axis (but not the y or z axis).
5. repeat this for any other axis you want.....making sure you wire the y position of the box to the y position of the ground object, or the z position to the z position (which ever axis you choose).
hope this helps :)
you can also wire rotation to position and vice versa (should the need ever arise) and even wire things like the radius of a sphere to the position or rotation of another object.
22-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Perfect. So simple. Thank you very much.
vBulletin® v3.7.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.