PDA

View Full Version : speed modelling challenge - week 48 - Star Wars

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Andy_k-3DT
26-05-2005, 04:49 AM
The rules are simple

1, Each week we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modelling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive.

How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief will be removed and the poster disqualified

2, You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries.Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified

3, Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframes we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified

4, You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containg the required information will be removed and the poster disqualified.

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 800x600 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 100k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images Files. larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified

6, time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the alocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizeable.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions

this weeks challenge

time limit - 60 minutes
deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 1st June 2005
subject - Star Wars

To coincide with the latest Star wars geekfest - sorry film :D we are going for a topical challenge.

Anything to do with Star Wars from a light sabre to a death star etc etc etc

No starter from me this week - I'm sure you all have plenty of ideas :)

Andy

Edit: SO SORRY Andy ... I just HAD to! Feel free to spam my mailbox as a punishment or something :D
Here's a starter with a very old post;
I shall be posting more Star Wars stuff but this seemed so fitting here!
Done in MaYA...
All there was done within the hour,
The Andy-Bot was sort of a cheet :o . (I used a model Andy had trusted in giving me as a base to remodel from...)

Black

Brodix
26-05-2005, 04:52 AM
O crap... This is gonna get nuts, Good Idea tho. The more i think about this the more excited I am getting.

Marty_McFly-3DT
26-05-2005, 04:53 AM
After the Lego challenge... Now I have to actually make Star Wars stuff for real? :D This will be fun!

hammering3D
26-05-2005, 04:53 AM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwww
this is more then grate, this is amazing, if I don't have time for this I'll hit myself with the mouse ;P,
Hell I'll quit my job, hmm I'm my own boss, I'll fire myself

fastrak
26-05-2005, 05:03 AM
wow!

mr_lemon
26-05-2005, 05:09 AM
agh :O hard one for me

Jannik
26-05-2005, 05:11 AM
this will be crazy... really nice subject

Henry_B
26-05-2005, 05:24 AM
hahahaha i dont know why, but i knew this was going to be the subject..
good luck everyone, i know there are going to be really good entries this geek..sorry week :D

Agamemnwn
26-05-2005, 05:36 AM
so many ideas. have to see which is feesable in the 1 h limit :o) good luck eveyone

K-Walk Studios
26-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Nice subject! Will be really hard for me though...

Hahaha... I come to think about a Conan O'Brian clip when saw the title Star Wars, hope you have seen >>this (http://www.starterupsteve.com/video/Conan-Triumph-Star-Wars.html)<< ! The comic dog in Conan dissing the star wars nerds...It's so funny, watch it!

Well I guess I'll have to start modelling now.
Good luck everyone!

tokai
26-05-2005, 05:48 AM
tbh, i do not share the euphorish opinion of the others here. IMHO it's a **** topic. :)

Really, I do not like all this star wars hype stuff at all (I'm more the B5 and Dune guy ;) ). This will make it hard when not impossible for me to participate in this challenge with any creative ideas I can happy myself with. :(

HooDLuM
26-05-2005, 06:06 AM
tokai, booooooooo! :)

Honestly though, this is a really open subject, model anything from the starwars universe!, I'm looking forward to this one especially as I absolutely SUCKED at shoes, I modelled about 10 pairs, and they were all crap, not even good enough to post. Hopefully I'll get something done this week as I want to get into modelling as a profession, but I've got another mcp exam so revision comes first (playing it safe for when I'm not good enough at 3d!).

Good luck all, can't wait to see this week's entries!

pixel pimp
26-05-2005, 06:16 AM
no way. im moving house this weekend so im going to be off line for two weeks and you have star wars as the theme when im not able to do it. dag nam it. can you postpone it for two weeks?

adamos
26-05-2005, 06:23 AM
I have alomoste finisht my first model for this week. ANDY you are the best. VERY nice topic. It will be greate week. Let the force be whit as.

S T A R W A R S

antto
26-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Okay now this ones a great subject, you can expect me to spam this challenge with my "amazing" models =). Okay here's my first anyway.

Henry_B
26-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Nice subject! Will be really hard for me though...

Hahaha... I come to think about a Conan O'Brian clip when saw the title Star Wars, hope you have seen >>this (http://www.starterupsteve.com/video/Conan-Triumph-Star-Wars.html)<< ! The comic dog in Conan dissing the star wars nerds...It's so funny, watch it!

man!!! i cant stop laughing!!! that is really funny SH@!@#$ heheheheheeheh

balukat
26-05-2005, 06:42 AM
great subject!!!....sure we can expecting amazing models this week!!!

Smirn0ff
26-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Yeah this is going to be crazy! I am seeing the movie this week just been to busy.. Ill have some more ideas then!

Peace

adamos
26-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Ok its now finisht. First ship from the long list of ships from STAR WARS uniwerse.

Henry_B
26-05-2005, 07:10 AM
nice starter adamos!!

Marty_McFly-3DT
26-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Oh the Irony... My model is almost finished... but now my girlfriend wants to leave like Right Now to go see Episode III in the theater! (My second time... her first.) Bitter sweet.... oh somebody please help me! :eek:

Smirn0ff
26-05-2005, 07:13 AM
wow, I found a nice ref. photo If anyone can model this in an hour to this detail there good.

Here: http://www.culttvman.com/joe_valeriote_s_trade_federati.html

Peace~ Smirn0ff

frost000
26-05-2005, 07:47 AM
I found quite a few Star Wars references on http://blueprints.onnovanbraam.com/ theres starships, characters, droids.

Brodix
26-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Well I tried and couldn't get it done in a hour. But here is the model Just for fun

ChupaCabra
26-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Nice Wookie Bowcaster

Brodix
26-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks it is far from done though. So I didnt enter it. Where in Ok are you at? Im in Ks

ChupaCabra
26-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Tulsa :(

Though we are proud to have the best high school in OK Booker T. Washington (yes, I go there)

Brodix
26-05-2005, 08:30 AM
cool not terribly far from me, Im in the wichita area

adamos
26-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Ok last one to night and its time to bed.
This is Taxi Droid from Mouse Eisley.
BTW THX Hanry_B.

ChupaCabra
26-05-2005, 08:51 AM
sweeeet.. that 1 is nice

frost000
26-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Wow man, your going all out this week! Nice job so far :D

adamos
26-05-2005, 08:59 AM
THX guys but no more to day or in my case to night. Its 04:16 and its time to go sleep. BTW i`m big fan of this movie. STAR WARS RULES !!!

DaddyMack
26-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Whoah! You guys move fast!
This is gonna be my first challenge with you Threedy speedies...
Looking forward to a fun week;)

Ilkejav mk5
26-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Although I think the movie sucked ass(except for the CG parts), I think we'll see very cool models this week.

Henry_B
26-05-2005, 10:00 AM
ok here is my starter for this week
hope U like it
C&C

info on the pic

Neomax
26-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Wow nice topic,a lot of scope for Organic modeling (which i love the most)!

Hey guys just take a lil time out n try to solve this prob...
>> http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=31380
thnx,

NEO:max:

DaddyMack
26-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Daddymack enters the fray with a dour attempt... Plans to redeem himself in a few days...

It's the humble beginnings of a speeder... The crunch came down hard... Great challenge;)

Modelled in Maya... Right down to the 60min mark

Brodix
26-05-2005, 12:18 PM
DaddyMack: Looking pretty good. Marty Im still waiting for yours mines almost done :smug: And Im liking how it looks thus far :dance:

PKT
26-05-2005, 01:05 PM
YAHOO!
I love Star Wars, this is going to be a challenge I will get into!
Good Luck guys. Even some nice entries allready.
Good Job!

bentura
26-05-2005, 03:09 PM
yeeee haaaaaah. This should be cool. am definetly taking part in this one after my failure at shoes. Should be good.

Well done to those submitted so far. :drool:

Black
26-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Adamos;

Was everything in the scene modeled in the given time? Or was only the droid?
I aould like it stated for the records.

Heheeey.. Welcome abourd DaddyMack;
I knew you couldn't resist a good competition :)

Black

adamos
26-05-2005, 05:22 PM
All what i have made for this entry whit taxi droid was model in given time. There is no cheating. Full 60 min, no second more. Thats why its not finisht.

Black
26-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Adamos;
Care to read what I have asked for and how it was asked please.

Many times I have repeated for you guys to state if all the props in scenes provided or not are entries.
The reason being very simple. Had it not been noted down your taxi carrier was going to be left aside and you presumed to have modeled the droid only in the given time.
My asking you is only and only doing you a favour.

Just so that you keep in mind for the next time:
I only accuse after I try modeling an entry and fail a few times.. Trust me on that.

Black

adamos
26-05-2005, 05:34 PM
So i understud you dont believe me. How can i make you believe. complete model take me just 60 min or 1h. Realy. My god please dont DQ my entry.

Stylus
26-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I believe I am subscribing to this. :-D

stylus...

Black
26-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Ok.. now this is getting out of hand!!

I'll try to make it a bit more simpler.. I am sorry for confusing you.

Adamos; I have NOT intended on accusing you with cheeting do NOT worry!!
I don't think you did anything such. Your model is very impressive but is possible to have been done in the time as far as I am concerned.
So I believe you!

NOW...
If you do more than one object as an entry; make a habbit to state that the second object is also an entry.
Had I not asked.. your entry was going to be thought as to be ONLY the droid... Thats why I asked you.

Is it a bit more clear now?

Black

adamos
26-05-2005, 05:41 PM
YES Black-3DT now i know whot you have in mind. Sorry for this misunderstood.

Ger22
26-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I haven't had a chance to take part in any challenges recently. Hopefully I'll get some time to enter this one.

In the meantime here is a link to a Star Wars blueprint site for anyone who feels the need to model some Episode IV, V and V1 vehicles.

http://www.drfreund.net/gallery_blueprint.htm

RideStowe
26-05-2005, 06:09 PM
this is such a fantastic topic this week, i need to brainstorm what to make.

adamos
26-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Hope that you now whos that. Well modeling organic form its not that eazy. What you see its a full time project and its still not finisht.

adamos
26-05-2005, 08:10 PM
BTW where are the other entries. Come one people its such nice topic.

Antievo-3DT
26-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Now this is what I call a sweet topic!
Only problem is, I have to much respect for Star Wars to make something "half-ass" out of it. Huge fan! And as we all know,
I am not the modeling-champion yet. I will try to make something worth posting in one hour. Not going to be easy for me.

Marty_McFly-3DT
26-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Here we go... I finally got a chance to sit down and finish this thing up. Nice entries so far...

3D Studio Max 7, 55 mins modelling, 1.5 - 2 hrs texturing and render tests:

adamos
26-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Very nice light saber MARTY.
BTW now i starting model KAMINO CLONER. Hope this will be eazyer to model.
SORRY MARTY.

fastrak
26-05-2005, 08:50 PM
FireFly, Henry_B, Adamos, Marty
Excellant entries. Good going.

the_bully
26-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Cool subject
I want to model something but I must be honest i dont know much about star wars.
I never seen any of the movies.Well we will see, Some nice work up already:0

Marty_McFly-3DT
26-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Adamos: Thanks... it's funny that you abbreviated my name that's already abbreviated. ;P A Kamino Cloner would be interesting... good luck on that one.

Fastrak: Thanks... btw... where's your entry?

Firefly: Same goes for you... where's your entry? Faster faster... Make that bow happen!

Antto: Nice Light Saber... Rhino is great isn't it? :)

Henry_B: Nice Light Saber... Hmm... I feel like I just said that.

Black-3DT: Dude... you're my hero! I LOVE your non-entry entry!

Bully: Even if you're not a fan... there have been a few good sites with references posted in this thread. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Black
26-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Hehehehee.. :o Thanks Marty... Isn't he cute? :)

I had this as my desjtop image for a while...
If it is Star Wars, it would be an insult to my own person not to submit a few non-entry entries... All done in an hour ofcourse.

I just gave a try (And a halve) on something I thought would be easy to model.. mmm must be getting rusty. Didn't get close.
Too much respect to the movie to allow myself to drop off the details! :cry:

Great models everyone! Star-Wars people like you help me feel 'not alone' :D

Black

Ps; The_Bully; Don't worry, no body is perfect... you had to boo boo some where! (Yeah, a Fan/Geek here)

smallpiece
26-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Nice subject, and a tough one at that....with such a high degree of intricacy in anything Starwars related, I think i'm going to find this one a challenge indeed...
Everyone so far seems to be doing a nice job though, great models people.. :)

Marty_McFly-3DT
26-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey guys... this was original inspiration/intention for my model. In the end I decided to go with a serious entry... but my mom "Forced" me to share this with you guys! :D

K-Walk Studios
26-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Nice work so far! I can tell there are going to be a lot of light sabers this week :)
I hope I can start with mine tomorrow...

Henry_B: The guy that does that dog is a genius! "You dont deal whit lesser lifeforms?.. You must be a lonely man." PRICELESS!

Marty_McFly: HAHA nice! - May the fork be with you! -

Brodix
26-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Thats funny, But you can actually get those with cerel, now

Brodix
26-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Well here is Boba Fett's Rifle

Maya 6
Modeled in 60 minutes

Marty_McFly-3DT
26-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Now that's using the Force FireFly... you moved my image to page 4 and yours to page 5! Interesting... indeed. Nice gun. (Btw, guns are for sissies. Everyone knows that the Sabers are where it's at!) ;P

Brodix
26-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Marty: I didnt like the old angle of the gun. Yes sabers are deadly, but I bet this gun killed more people than Obiwans saber :dance: I dont know im not a star wars freak

Antievo-3DT
26-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Nice rifle FireFly. PKT is gonna' have a fit when he sees it. We talked about the challange topic at school today, and he said he was going to make that when he got home, lol. And here it is already, hehe.
So funny.

antto
26-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks Marty, and yes, rhino is exellent in these kind of models.

fastrak
26-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Fastrak: Thanks... btw... where's your entry?

Don't know if I'll enter this one. You guys are really rockin' on this. Keep it up!

adamos
26-05-2005, 10:55 PM
The last one from organic. Sorry but 60 min its not enought. I dont like it but if you say A you must sey B.

AtomAnt
26-05-2005, 10:58 PM
This is my first try at the speed challenge. I hope I didn't do to bad

Brodix
26-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Antievo: Lol that always happens to me. I didnt do a very good job. So hopefully he will get it good.

Ilkejav mk5
26-05-2005, 11:36 PM
This is my first try at the speed challenge. I hope I didn't do to bad

Hey that's pretty good for a beginner. only crit is the smoothing. but good job anyway, keep it up.

Puckducker
26-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Hmmm, seems everyone is doing lightsabers so far....well, guess I'm not going to be helping much.

These are Asajj Ventress's lightsabers. They are the same design as Count Dooku's.

For a little background, while Attack of the Clones was in the early production stages, Dooku's character was originally going to be a female sith lord. Designed around a east Indian/ African art styles, the final design was of a bald, grey skinned young woman, with a large black dress grounding her design. As the script evolved, the sith character was changed to a more military leader, and the Sith Woman was re-designed into what would later become Count Dooku. However, her curved saber handles (reminiscent of her eastern art style) stuck, and the same saber was used for Dooku.

Fortunately, this excellent character design was not scrapped entirely, as the design was used for the character of Asajj Ventress in the Clone Wars cartoon series. She wields the same saber that Dooku does, only she has two of them.

Little info on the model....I thought a nice easy Lightsaber would be fun for starters, but cause of the curvature in the handle I was just able to pump it out in under 60 (had to start twice). I had a terrible time texturing cause for some reason my "shrink/grow selection" function wasn't working, making selecting all the smoothed out polys for texturing difficult. Anways, hope you enjoy!

Modeling: 58 min
Texturing: 96 min
Lighting/Rendering: 2 hours

Made with Maya 6.01 and rendered with Mental Ray.

RideStowe
26-05-2005, 11:57 PM
hahaha marty, that's a real nice spoon-saber

Pawz
27-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Does anyone know of any good references for the 'new' star wars movies? I'm especially interested in the vehicles used.. Just about the only vehicle I can find reference material for is the Republic gunship.

Black
27-05-2005, 12:22 AM
hmmmm.. depends.. any vehicle in particular?

Brodix
27-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Black: could I get you to do me a favor and E-mail me a copy of your boot? So i can examine it. For some reason I couldnt quite figure out how to make a good boot.

the_bully
27-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Marty_McFly

Hey i found your spoon.
One question why is Samuel L jackson face so tight :crazy:

eagle4
27-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Kellogs are also giving away that spoon in Australia, just a different cerial

eagle4

Black
27-05-2005, 01:00 AM
FireFly;
Which one the one for last weeks challange?

That boot is going to be used for a cartoon character (An Egyptian Tour-guid)... So I may not exactly be able to send it... yet.
I'll see what I can do.. give me a day or two. Else I can just model one for you to examine.

Black

Ps: Would a Wire lay out be good enough for you? (Front-top-side-etc...?) That I could do right away

Brodix
27-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Its up to you, I could use both. I wanted to look and see if it was multiple pieces, etc... Could you possibly post the wires without the back faces?

Villane
27-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Here we go... I finally got a chance to sit down and finish this thing up. Nice entries so far...

3D Studio Max 7, 55 mins modelling, 1.5 - 2 hrs texturing and render tests:

ah so you have created a new light sabre.....now your skill's are complete! :o

Sorry had to be said, nice one!

V

Villane
27-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Marty_McFly

Hey i found your spoon.
One question why is Samuel L jackson face so tight :crazy:
lol lightsabre spoon, how ridiculous! :smug:

Mace windoo is supposed to be a badass, his depiction in the animated clone wars series is much better, he rocks in that!
if you haven't seen them i suggest you do so.

Cheers
Villane

Villane
27-05-2005, 01:20 AM
The last one from organic. Sorry but 60 min its not enought. I dont like it but if you say A you must sey B.

Hey mate, i like this character alot, but is that not a tri i spot in the wire?

Looks good for 60 mins well done

V

Puckducker
27-05-2005, 01:44 AM
"Does anyone know of any good references for the 'new' star wars movies?"

The Art of Star Wars books are the best places to get refrences for the Prequel Trilogy art designs.

Otherwise, if you know the name of a specific ship, you should be able to just google it.

adamos: That's a great texture you've got started for your Sebulba. Is it all by hand, or patched together from shots of him in Ep.1??

Sebulba was one of the best realized characters in Ep.1 (digitally speaking I mean). Fantastic animation work on him, especially difficult for such an "off balance" character. That's the character I always use as an example of way Digital Characters are just so much more capable than puppets. Sebulba would have been a mess as a puppet.

The Kamenoian is also nice. They were one of my favorite species for the PT's. Such an amazing design. So aloof...you had no idea if they were good or bad when you first met them. They seamed nice enough, but those dead black eyes were too haunting.

Marty_McFly Great looking lightsaber. Who's is it?? It's got a red blade, so it's a sith, but it's not Mauls, Dooku's or Sidious...it sorta looks like Vaders, but the top to Vaders is quite different. It doesn't end with a flush straight edge.

FireFly Sweet Fett rifle....you going to texture it?? You may want to bevel some more of those hard edges though for next time....doesn't take very long, and it's the difference between a good model and a photorealistic one.

AtomAnt Nice work for your first entry. You may want to just throw some colour into it though, to give it a slightly nicer look to it. Would only take a minute or so.

Brodix
27-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Here is Mace Windu's lightsaber. I was running out of time so the buttons dont have the detail I was wanting them to have. :ugh: O Well ;P

Maya 6
Modeled in 60 minutes

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Bully: Well... Samuel L. Jack... I... I mean Mace Windu's face is a look of extreme concentration. That's pretty much what he looked like when he was about to strike down the Lord of the Sith. (I could come up with more vulgar ways of describing his facial expression... but... :p)

Eagle4: Yeah... mine came in a box of Apple Jacks that my friend got me for my birthday. (He got it for me for the Saber... not the cereal!)

Villane: Hehehe... Thanks. It was fun to make... now... on to the next one!

Puckducker: It's for a character yet to be named. (Or I can just say I don't know... it was just a design I liked!) :)

FireFly: Very cool... now if I could just get you to swtich from the Drak side of the Force and Join the Light. :roll:

Glottis
27-05-2005, 02:19 AM
most people are doing lightsaber etc, well.. originally this was ment to be Yoda, but.. as I went along, It became a Sith Warrior :

(I donīt know how to work SKinShader, so he looks like plastic :S)

EDIT:
Damn, I forgot to write the time

3D Studio Max 6.0
Photoshop 5.0
modelling time 47 minutes

Brodix
27-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Marty: Are you talking about switching from Maya to Max? Na I might as well stick with this one untill I learn it. Then switching over should be easy as pie. Or so I'm told.

Antievo-3DT
27-05-2005, 02:40 AM
I would like to strart out by telling you guys what a holocron is (if you did not know):
- Holocrons are custom built instructional tools used by the Jedi Master. The
small crystaline cubes store holographic records documenting the history and
lore of the Jedi Knights.

This is my first entry this month.
The textures took a long time, and the model is very simple. Kind of the wrong
focus you might say, but these small cubes are prime Star Wars Essentials.

The texturing took me so long because this was my first texturing job.
I made many maps before I got it right :D

(I can also understand that this model does not compete in the
model complexity, so don't take this entry 100% seriously.
I just really wanted to share it with you guys. Beeing my first texture and all.)

(Thanks to PKT for teaching me how to texture/map my models, hehe)

Henry_B
27-05-2005, 02:54 AM
I would like to strart out by telling you guys what a holocron is (if you did not know):
- Holocrons are custom built instructional tools used by the Jedi Master. The
small crystaline cubes store holographic records documenting the history and
lore of the Jedi Knights.

This is my first entry this month.
The textures took a long time, and the model is very simple. Kind of the wrong
focus you might say, but these small cubes are prime Star Wars Essentials.

The texturing took me so long because this was my first texturing job.
I made many maps before I got it right :D

(Thanks to PKT for teaching me how to texture/map my models, hehe)

Dont take this the wrong way man, but this is a Modelling challenge not a texturing challenge. and a box primitive is not what i can call a model, as i said before, dont take this the wrong way.

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Dont take this the wrong way man, but this is a Modelling challenge not a texturing challenge. and a box primitive is not what i can call a model, as i said before, dont take this the wrong way.

What's more interesting is that he took the time to model his primitive in Wings3D and export it to Max for texturing and rendering. :)

Antievo-3DT
27-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Lol! Sorry guys. I know. I just wanted to share it with you.
No harm meant.

And yes, I actually did export it from Wings3D to 3dsm, whats wrong with that?!
That is how I handle my stuff! Hehe. (That was just another way of saying:
"I know almost nothing about 3dsm yet, and use Wings3D because I know how.)
Pathetic you might say :(

Please withdraw the "holocron" entry from the contest if the model is to weak.
Atleast I posted it... I never expected it to win the after all...

Please don't take my primates as a threat, lol.
*Peace*

Some comments:
Andy_k-3DT - Haha, I love that helmet man. Good job!
antto - I see you made Luke's "oldschool" Lightsaber. Nicely done man!
adamos - Lovin' that ship man. Nice model.
FireFly - Everyone loves the Wookie Bowcaster! Lovin' it!
DaddyMack - Nice speeder!
Marty_McFly - You made a nice lightsaber! Haha, That spoon... *laugh* Funny...
Puckducker - Nice pair og light-sabers. I like the design, and everything is well done. Nice job!
Glottis - That is one scary lookin' Sith Warrior

Black
27-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Its up to you, I could use both. I wanted to look and see if it was multiple pieces, etc... Could you possibly post the wires without the back faces?Sorry for getting back at you late... had to eat drink and star a new thread :)

Now the boot actually has a story attached to it.. It's first attempt was from four or so years ago as to be my first competing model for a character contest in 3DValley.. But had connection problems and couldn't submit it. (Yes it was actually one of my first models)

But the cool thing was that I had a habbit back then on making short tutorials on how I did things. I literally used that as a guidline on making this entry now.
I am going to now post a set lay-out of the boot and sole.. (The little attachment thingy for the lace is straight forward.. I don't think you would be needing it) Actually I am not sure if you need the sole either?!
AND I'll post the walk through on how I made the boot... I hope that will be of some use to you. Just give me about halve an hour or so.

Antievo;
I am going to allow your post to remain since it can be fitted under the title. How ever they have a point here.
Many have worked very hard to get to the level they are presenting... and it seems sort of mocking to post an entry such to compair.
Just try keeping that in mind next time. It will help you get along easier.

And BTW, thank you.. I am glad you liked my helmet.

Black

Rashika-3DT
27-05-2005, 03:49 AM
i have a question to pose upon everyone... how do each of you model? would you say you begin by creating a basis and then detailing it, or do you detail as you go?

also, on a model with more than one "part" do you create each piece, detail them, and then move on to the next piece? or do you create all the pieces first, and then detail them?

i only ask, so that i can see how each person models, and if i can tell the difference in modelling style. plus, curiosity.

Black
27-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Hmm well I certainly try to keep things to be extruded all from one model. I find creating than placing a mesh too much time loss so I either work with the base I have or I set things to be able to dublicate as I go.

A very good practice is to try to sketch out the model first.. than you are already a bit more familiar with it.... hmm you might want to take a look at ThisThread (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24482)... could give you some idea on my methods for a sample.

I personally leave the detailing to the last... But if the model has something very distinctive and that would show the whole thing a lot better I go for that.. things like tire tracks, keyboard ... dials and etc then I sort of set the model around those details.. IT is all about sugar candy in a way at this point... so it is a matter of choice/taste. You sort of have to be the judge at that.

Now this is only on how I start my first attempt on speed modeling. very rarely does the first attempt work out as good as I want.. as I work I take mental notes. Even if I don't have redo the model; it helps in next attempts.

The next most important things to do is to try to disect other entries... that really helps a lot.

Hope this was sort of what you were asking for
Now back to FireFly's thing :)

Black

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Rashika: For my last entry... I modelled it in pieces and then added the details afterwards. Most times I find it best it "flesh" out a model first then come back for the "meaty" parts. At least then you have a sense of scale to work with.
Then if I'm making something similar to something made in the past... I'll use that previous model for reference in scale... keeping the previous object frozen in your viewports really helps sometimes.

Antievo: Personally... I just found it rather funny to export and import a cube from one program to another rather than take the 10 or so seconds it would take to model it in Max. That's just so funny to me... but I do understand your reasoning behind it. Thanks for the mention too... I'm glad you got a laugh out of the spoon! Just please... don't try to actually eat with it! :D

Antievo-3DT
27-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Antievo;
I am going to allow your post to remain since it can be fitted under the title. How ever they have a point here.
Many have worked very hard to get to the level they are presenting... and it seems sort of mocking to post an entry such to compair.
Just try keeping that in mind next time. It will help you get along easier.

And BTW, thank you.. I am glad you liked my helmet.
Black

Thank you for letting it stay Black, and I am sorry if people found my post to be
mocking. That was not my intentions at all.

I am surely enough a nice guy, and respect each and every one of you fellow 3d-people.
Nothing I say will ever be with negative intentions. Remember that guys :D

Henry_B
27-05-2005, 04:10 AM
I am surely enough a nice guy, and respect each and every one of you fellow 3d-people........

you better! heheheh j/k :D

did you really export the box and import it in max?????? heheheh

Agamemnwn
27-05-2005, 04:12 AM
Hello to everyone. Great models so far. I made this just to relax (still exams) no time to mess with texturing and lighting thow, just modelling. Made a hailfire droid

Brodix
27-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Black: Thanks I really appreciate it.

Antievo-3DT
27-05-2005, 04:21 AM
you better! heheheh j/k :D

did you really export the box and import it in max?????? heheheh

I actually did, lol! I know it's pathetic. I just "have to" go through Wings3D. I got
used to model in Wingd3D, so now I got this twisted idea that I have to model
everything I want to make there, hehe. (Wings3D is 100% freeware btw.)

Puckducker
27-05-2005, 04:25 AM
rashika

I almost always extrude the whole object/character first, and then go in and refine. Obviously this has it's advantages with speed modeling, since not matter what the time limit, you'll always have something that resembles the original idea....the more time, the more details you can add.

The main reason to do this though is because it's next to impossible to fully imagine what your model is going to look like. You may model the foot for a character and spend days creating the perfect foot, without having done anything else for the body...but when the whole body is done you realize the foot doesn't fit with the rest of the character. It's the same way in life drawing and painting. You can't just detail certain sections and leave the rest untouched...everything should be brought forward at the same time...otherwise your model will end up looking disjointed.

I basically follow 3 passes. 1st pass is that you rough it in...get the full shape in, no matter how silly it looks. Basically if your just modeling a boot, you're finished this stage when it actually kinda looks like a boot. The second pass is to start to flesh out the design. So that it no longer just looks like a boot, but no you can tell what type of boot it is (cowboy, army, platform)....the final pass is when you give the object it's character in the final details. Where has the boot been, is it old or new? It's the final details that will really sell the object...but they can't be added until your comfortable with the initial design youself.

For my lightsaber on page 5 however, I had a fairly good idea of the schedule I was going to be on, so I did model individual pieces and detailed them one at a time...but that's not what I'd do for a character model.

electroglyph
27-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Reference for starwars

The Force net technical commentaries (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/index.html) has some excellent pictures.

antto
27-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Nice models everyone keep up the good work. Also here's my second to this challenge, Im very disappointed on it but I will start working on second improved one at this very moment.

Black
27-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Black: Thanks I really appreciate it.Lol; when have I EVER turned down a request :D

The bad news is that the earlier 'in-between' screen grabs were not as discriptive as I recalled them to be. Funny I was VERY unhelathy at the week I had done the boot... guess I was ciluted as well?!
In any case this is it.. I4ll see if I can run a step by step later on and post it in the tutorials section.
Ok now the first image (being the one I refferenced from) is a little bit more sophisticated than the boot I entered, and a bit more cartoonish.
Beacuse I didn't really have enough time to make the carefull details you see here (Like the 'BLACK Co' had to be simply boxes only around the rim where you guys see it)

In the second image you can see how I modeled the first version. I had the tip and the heal placed and the rest of it appended accordingly.

The third one is simply the one I posted here.
I had to follow a more diffrent method than the heel and toe method.. Simply kept on extruding (as you can see from the bottom view) Until I had halve the sole from the heel to the center; while the rest was three faces high. Then I extruded these in three sections upwards to get the heel ball and the 'Sock' bit. Do note that the model is not symetric.
I subdivided the whole thing to get some more geometri. This gave me all quads on places like around the button. And then I extruded the flaps to make holes for the laces.
I tried one on one copy the topology as best as I can of the earlier... But well didnn't do TOO bad a job around the toe at least. I wasn't so sure about the triangulating on the tip.. But I kept to it since there must have been a reason I chose to do that when I had the time to calculate things to compair.

As for the sock part of it... It was a real mess. As you can see here (Where you do not see it in the angle I had presented the entry back then) It was all just extruding as I go.. trying to make out something like the original.. The original was revolved and lofted and off-set and etc.. So it is a dear bit more cleaner.

I hope this gives you SOME starters.. as I said.. when I have free time I shall try and update some more useful data on it's making.

Black

D-Russ
27-05-2005, 05:21 AM
I had to really think about what I could get done in an hour. This worked out well. The basic body is a poly edited sphere with a few booleans. Much of the detailing is primitives, simple lathed splines or renderable splines. I just kept adding details until the hour timer went off.

Lighting and texturing took a few hours though.

This is, of course, the evil interrogation droid used on princess Leia Organa in StarWars (a new hope) Episode 4.

Until my demands on my post #151 (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=344048&postcount=151) your entries for this week have also been disqualitifed.

Shall you preffer to ignore this specific event, I would like to mark that personally I am personally not on the easy side on trusting you for any futur entry. So unless you manage to clear things up one way or the other, please do not be too hopeful in participating the following challanges.

Thank you

Black

noyb
27-05-2005, 05:27 AM
I don't remember this from any of the movies, but I found a reference for it so here it is:

Shieldship
Modeled in Inventor: 60 min
Texture: 15 min
Render: 5 min
Photoshop: 10 min

Henry_B
27-05-2005, 05:31 AM
very nice D-Russ!!
great textures and render, not to mention the model. good work!

Rashika-3DT
27-05-2005, 06:21 AM
AAAAAGH!!! DONT DO IT ANTTO!!!

i'll show you my tie fighter. the whole thing as completley done in about 12 minutes, and the rest of the hour was used up pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to make the front window without the mesh errors, and still be able to model it in "one piece"

if ANYONE can tell me how i can fix this, i will re-attempt this model.

okay, the way that i fixed it works (kinda) but only along the top edge. along the sides, it creates this rather large indentation here the wondow is no longer flush with the cockpit. i realize that i could fix that with a few horizontal edges, but that adds another mesh error because of the inherent 5 edged poly it creates. is there an easier way?

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-05-2005, 06:26 AM
D-Russ: Very cool... although it's kind of mean to call a droid "evil" isn't it? ;P

RideStowe
27-05-2005, 07:46 AM
D-Russ you rock !!!

Puckducker
27-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I concur...your model is excellent D-Russ. I really like the middle, where you get a glimpse of what could be going on in the interior.

Any thoughts on my entry so far, guys??

RideStowe
27-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Any thoughts on my entry so far, guys??

i'm assuming that yours is similar to dooku's? obviously the person's saber is a novel-based character, or someone i've never seen in the movies for some reason....

Glottis
27-05-2005, 08:10 AM
"Glottis - That is one scary lookin' Sith Warrior"

Thank you Antievo :)

funny thing, completed his face in 20 mintues, have spent 8+ hours on my Termagaunt (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=31147)

But guys, can you link me to a Skin Shader tut? dunno how to do it in 3D Studio Max

Puckducker
27-05-2005, 08:13 AM
"i'm assuming that yours is similar to dooku's? obviously the person's saber is a novel-based character, or someone i've never seen in the movies for some reason...."

It says it all in my original post...

Technically the sabers belong to Asajj Ventress's, a character from the Clone Wars Cartoon series, however the actual design of the handles is the EXACT same as the one Dooku used in Attack of the Clones.

So, yes, the saber design is actually in the movies...however, Asajj uses two of them, which is why I labelled it as her lightsabers.

RideStowe
27-05-2005, 08:23 AM
ahh i see puck, sorry i didnt read your post, i jsut look at the pretty pictures :)

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Puckducker: Those are nice Lightsabers... very fancy. Unfortunately for me... I go for the more simplistic ones. :roll:

Here's my 2nd entry: Dual Lightsaber

Obviously based off of Darth Maul's infamous blades... there were a few things about them that I didn't like. So I made some changes to make them fit to my liking.

3D Studio Max 7, 55 mins modelling: (Some wire parts were scaled up to make them easier to see... they're not really that big on the model.)

D-Russ
27-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Here's the escape pod that carried Artoo and Threepio to Tatooine. Modeled in MAX with almost exlusively lathed splines and a few extruded splines. Poly edited to separate UV groups and textured with modified sci-fi maps from other StarWars models.

Backdrop is Tatooine jpeg from a scan. MAX's Fire Effect used to create the exhaust plumes. Lighting consists of one raytraced directional spot and two omni lights to provide reflected light from the rocket glow and the planet.

Damn this 100 KB limit. :wall:

Until my demands on my post #151 (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=344048&postcount=151) your entries for this week have also been disqualitifed.

Shall you preffer to ignore this specific event, I would like to mark that personally I am personally not on the easy side on trusting you for any futur entry. So unless you manage to clear things up one way or the other, please do not be too hopeful in participating the following challanges.

Thank you

Black

Black
27-05-2005, 09:22 AM
D-Russ;
These are two impressive models and impressive textures all created atop of each other. I am really very impressed.
In such a short time how did you achieve the textures you have here?
I am a great StarWars fan myself and would really like you to help me follow on your techniques or sources.

Black

Brodix
27-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Any one know of any good blueprint sites for droids, and ships?

Black: And thanks for the broke down wires that really helped out a bunch.

D-Russ
27-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Black: Since it's not a texturing contest, I reworked existing textures. I'm a big Star Wars geek, so I've D/L'd a lot of models and textures over the years. These original textures were created for a similar model by fellow modeler Dan North.

I performed hue corrections, and additional weathering to create a visual continuity between the separate images.

Black
27-05-2005, 10:04 AM
D-Russ;
Thanks for the lead.. I have now a file open infront of me from that particular modeler which I have downloaded from: http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=10&key=141
So I guess you have an explanation also for how come there is a great similarity in the topology aswel? Was that for the UV's to match?
The texturing is part of the story.. which leads to more. I would preffer to belive you and would like you to give me a good reason to.

FireFly;
here (http://scifi3d.theforce.net/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=4) you can find a free collection of the best StarWars mesh's I have found.
If it has to do with StarWars.. and it is good... it is most definately linked to Here (http://www.theforce.net/)
From there you can link to sites for BluePrints.. some one had already posted a link to one of them a bit earlier.

Just message me shen ever you get stuck on the boot.

DanN
27-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi D-Russ,
I got a message on this from someone who watches out on such matters;
from what I can see online here, it appears that this is the same mesh that I created from Scifi-3D a few years ago.

thoughtforms
27-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi all.. this is the first time i'm actually posting an entry for the speed challenge, although i've been following it for some time. Howver, I've never been able to complete a model under an hour though.. in fact, this one is not quite complete either, but I've just decided to go ahead and post it. Its missing some parts/details and there're few glitches which i didn't have time to correct. Any tips from the pros on how to model quickly? Do you guys set up references and stuff before you model in these challenges, or do you just play by ear?

i'm using 3DSMAx btw.. forgot to add that into the image... cheers and I intend to keep trying for all future challenges..

edit: just one final note on the model.. it's my tribute to one of my fav scenes in the entire STar WArs saga... when YODA in his crumpled rags and walking stick draws out his lightsaber to fight Dooku and surprised everyone with his mad lightsaber skills.... all thanks to advancements in CG!

Puckducker
27-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Oh! Beauty lightsaber Thoughtforms! ...great work with Yoda's design (one of the trickier ones to get the specs for)

If your looking for tips for quick modelling, paticularly with your lightsaber, if at anytime possible, always duplicate your work. If you ever have any details that are remotely similar to something else you already did, just copy the faces and merge them back into the mesh in a new spot.

Your saber for example....any time the end of one "tube" part is the exact same as another end, just do the one end (take the time to make the nice beveled edges) and then just mirror the geometery to the other side. That way, not only do you save time, but you also get to add more detail in the new time you have. Planning also helps a good deal....

Perhaps this weeks theme should have been lightsabers :)

Black
27-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Perhaps this weeks theme should have been lightsabers :)Hehehehe.. I guess the one hour limit sort of narrows down the options now doesn't it? Literally the survival of the 'fit'est

There ARE a variaty of options out there... but not too easy to drop the details and preserve a good model.

Well good luck everybody.. so far the models are going great.

Black

Justo
27-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Nice Render Thoughforms
Yoda is the man :D

Brodix
27-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Justo: Manage attachments under the comment area

thoughtforms
27-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the encouraging replies! :)

puckducker i love your rendition of Dooku's lightsabers! its one of the most complex lightsabers to model and you did such a great job with everything... *cheers*

Justo
27-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Heya guys, this is my first post here :D see some great models, im new to 3d but hope with all your help and opinions i will further develop my modeling skills. :D
Btw Episode III was awesome :dance: !!
Oh btw2, i had to make the quality of the file to 73, it was to large, if you want a higher quality one ask me for a link!
Thanks
C4D
15 min to render, have a crappy pc :p
model time : 45 min, textures : 10

Black
27-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Mmm no the quality is fine for the judging...

It is that some times entries tend to be too dark and fail to display the model. It is only then that things get messy.
Welcome aboard... you seem to have obbeyed most of the rules...
You may want to edit your post and add in your modeling time. This sort of certifies that you are admitting to the time spent.

Good Luck;

Black

Brodix
27-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi D-Russ,
I got a message on this from someone who watches out on such matters;
from what I can see online here, it appears that this is the same mesh that I created from Scifi-3D a few years ago.

That would not be a good thing

PKT
27-05-2005, 01:49 PM
D-Russ, that is very impressive, I love them both 100%, keep sending inspirational material.
Hehe, nice Holocrons Antievo, very cool texture :D

btw, I just reasently got a message about my application to a 3d school in norway, and I got in! woot, bachelor degree here I come! Maybe Iīll be able to learn 3d studio max better now, hope so, so I can be able to start compeating with you guys, you are all very good.

JanJaap
27-05-2005, 02:54 PM
That would not be a good thing

That would be an understatement.

anyway there are lot of good entries.

I'm now waiting for the hamburger with an olive on the side considering the myth. :D

Jan-Jaap

URs3D.net
27-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Heys so much excellent models here!!!
I'll hope you enjoy this one
Did no textures, because when I would the whole thing wouldn't look so great :cry:

Mmmh , can someone tell if there is an hair modifier in 3dsMax 7, because I couldn't find one

Info on the picture:
I create this one just with simple box modeling

Glottis
27-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Cool model :)

But arenīt the feet supposed to be round? or am I confused?

tokai
27-05-2005, 05:59 PM
I'll hope you enjoy this one
Did no textures, because when I would the whole thing wouldn't look so great :cry:

Info on the picture:
I create this one just with simple box modeling

great model, was going to make the same too (but not now anymore, idea taken, tokai needs something else :-P )

But what a disappointing presentation. Really. :-) You could have done a lot better IMHO, even w/o too much texturing etc. Attached my concept scetch which I made yesterday to show you my idea. Sadly was yesterday too tired to start the modelling (wouldn't have done it in 1h then).

regards,
tokai

PKT
27-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Fastrak, rubbish! You MUST send in an entry, since I saw the Jango Fett boots, and this weeks topic is Star Wars, I thought about what you are going to make.

URs3D.net
27-05-2005, 06:38 PM
thanks tokai for your words.
I don't have a problem when you model another at - walker. Then I can see how I could have done it.
I would love to see yours

pixel pimp
27-05-2005, 06:39 PM
i managed to make a bit a time to produce an entry for this week, so here it is. its princess leia's slave outfit, mmmmm. modelled in max and rendered with final render which i am just learning at the moment. enjoy!

Puckducker
27-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Justo Nice work! You're new to 3D though? That's some bitchin texture work on your entry....looks like you've been doing 3D for quite a while.

But I'm unfamiliar with the model you did....where was it in Star Wars?? Kinda looks like one of Mauls probe droids, but it's not the same design.

UrsiNMC That's a great looking model for 1 hour. Like how one of your views emulates one of the shots from ESB.

I do agree with Tokai a bit though, in some of your presentation could do with some punching up. Just through in a couple of coloured lights (hot keys, and cool fills/rims) to give the image more depth than just a GI renderer will give you.

pixel pimp Ahh, what would a star wars competition be without a slave leia golden bikini outfit? Nice work on it. How did you accomplish the cloth? Pulled out the edges to make the folds?

Hehehehe.. I guess the one hour limit sort of narrows down the options now doesn't it? Literally the survival of the 'fit'est

There ARE a variaty of options out there... but not too easy to drop the details and preserve a good model.

Yeah, I figured a lot of people would be doing lightsabers....it's just tricky cause so much of the models you could do would need a fair bit of texturing in order to really make the final image look great. Lightsabers are just nice and shinny metal, and so take no time at all.

Jannik
27-05-2005, 07:33 PM
adamos love your 1st and 2nd entry, specially the Taxi Droid, great job

antto, Marty_McFly and Puckducker love your modelling job og light sabers...

D-Russ Considered not participating when you postet your first entry hehe, awesome...

Justo really nice job on the materials you got there

UrsiNMC wow, great model... this is the one of the first things along with light sabers I thought about modelling...

generally nice job everyone, thumbs up

fastrak
27-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Fastrak, rubbish! You MUST send in an entry, since I saw the Jango Fett boots, and this weeks topic is Star Wars, I thought about what you are going to make.

Thanks PKT
I try to give it a shot. I agree with Black....many oportunities in this challenge. Just need to find one that suits me.

D-Russ
27-05-2005, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Black-3DT]D-Russ;
Thanks for the lead.. I have now a file open infront of me from that particular modeler which I have downloaded from: http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=10&key=141
So I guess you have an explanation also for how come there is a great similarity in the topology aswel? Was that for the UV's to match?
The texturing is part of the story.. which leads to more. I would preffer to belive you and would like you to give me a good reason to.

Dan's model was certainly a reference for mine. All geometry is new and created within the designated hour. My approach was to render "blueprint" views from Dan's model and use them to construct my own, as if I had access to ortho drawings and nothing else. I'd be happy to provide my mesh for comparison, Just ask. Mine is differently detailed in several areas - notably in the engine bulkhead and exhaust nozzles, and more polygonally dense.

As these contests are structured to mimic real world cases, under a deadline, a resourceful artist will use every legal trick in the book to produce under that deadline. I simply used resources at my disposal to assist in the creation of an all new model. The UV's are similar since the entire model uses nothing but cylindrical mapping on various sections. It was purposely sectioned to make use of the existing texture maps.

If you and other mods deem I used an unfair advantage, that's unfortunate. I'll repectfully disagree, but it's your show, and I'll play nice. Previous entries and my body of work indicate that I can produce passable work, so why would I stoop to cheating to win fun internet contest?

the_bully
27-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks PKT
I try to give it a shot. I agree with Black....many oportunities in this challenge. Just need to find one that suits me.

Dude you have to enter one.Im going to at least do one today on my lunch break and like stated before i know nothing about star wars :ugh:

Justo
27-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks Jannik and Puckducker, :dance: yea i put a bit of work into texturing, more than anything though, im new to 3d, been playing with it for about 3 weeks now. I know the theme was star wars so i decided to try to make something i would imagine would be in star wars, :D Im not exactly sure if thats allowed but i hope you like it :)
Thanks.:dance:

Antievo-3DT
27-05-2005, 08:25 PM
- D-Russ and UrsiNMC: Grate models.
- Fastrak: You have got to join in on this man. I am expecting something nice :D

Looks like people are getting better every day. Good job everyone.
PKT and myself are starting on our 1st year to our Bachelor in 3D Design and Animation next semester. So look out, Hehe :D

DaftPunk
27-05-2005, 08:43 PM
D-Russ, I cant believe youre trying to justify copying someone elses modle and textures. And honestly, the only REAL difference between the modles is you cut a line through the center of the body and extruded it in for an added bump. The rest of the geometry matches up to the original, how each cylindrical section was modled individualy rather than 1 spline, which would have been done just as easy, and UV'd just the same, which is something you wouldnt see from image renders, youd have to be modeling from the mesh itself.

I personaly could not trust you to do anything.

And that whole thing about professionals modeling over someone elses object is BS, I work as a 3d architectural visual renderer, and all the furniture and such I do is strait from images and plans if I can get my hands on em, Im not going to go to places like Evermotion.com, download a chair, and modle around it.

I know its the mods choice as to weither or not youre being honest, but I dont trust you after seeing the original and turning the bump maps up since they arent on in default.

DaftPunk;
You are a valued member and have showed the kindness to help many in these threads that were less fortunate in talent or skill to compair to yourself.
But please reffer to keeping such matters to private messaging. We know through past experiences all too well that this gets uglier this way.
I shall have to allow your post to remain unmodified since it was before my warning. And since it has not gone out of hand.
I hope you can understand my personal reasonings of trying to keep this situation calm.

Thank you

Black

conga
27-05-2005, 09:08 PM
This is my second entry onto a speed modelling challenge :D
Its good practice for me.

Software: 3ds Max 7 (Brazil R/S)
Model: 24 Minutes
Texturing: 35 Minutes
Rendering: 1 Minute

Black
27-05-2005, 09:08 PM
... Previous entries and my body of work indicate that I can produce passable work, so why would I stoop to cheating to win fun internet contest?Because you have already have posted things that don't add up.
I am right now looking at a screen grab from this thread of your last post where as you have successfully modelled the model in the hour but have spent about 2 hours for the texturing and effects.. the textures that you confess a few posts later that you did not create.
You have already posted an Espona model completely consistent of tri's with out even bothering to remodel it. And it has caught my attention as I went back that a dear amount of your entries have been always at some point similar to existing models.
I agree that an existing model can up to a VERY thin line be used as a reference. But you seem to have crossed that thin line a few times too many.

Dan has already gone out of his way to check up on your entry. And I am personally obligated to go with his words... since I do not find your 'modifications' enough for you to be able to call it your own.

I'll put it VERY simply now: You have a shoe posted last week that I am convinced is not a modified enough De Espona model. And an escape pod that I think the same of. They were both submitted at a specific date that I have recorded down.
If you happen to send an email to Dan, firstly apologising for not once mentioning his name or crediting his donated works which you now say you used as a 'base' when you posted your entry. And present him a mesh that has a 'file creation' date that is from a period earlier than your post...
And do the exact same to De Espona's model, to have them both provide me a notification stating that you have modified the model efficient enough to be able to call it your own.

I will announce in big bold letters that I was very wrong and that you are not only a great modeller but a wonderful person who has been falsely accused.
And to compensate for my rude behaviour I shall from my own pocket offer you a texture CD/DVD of your choice for this week and for last, asking for your forgiveness.

D-Russ... this is a good time to come clean. If you have other models that you have also used as base... or only for reference as you say, it would be a good idea to state them as well.

Everybody Else;
This is NOT a witch -hunt. I shall edit and remove context from posts that contain anything that would offer to degrade D-Russ's reputation any further. Those that come with proof may have a word, but otherwise I am going to have to INSIST that you leave him/her alone.

There are a few more models in this thread that have apparently used 'reference mesh's as well. Even if you remodelled it from scratch it is only right that you credit the persons model you based your entry on.
If it is Star Wars and it is out there. Trust me I most possibly already have it... (if not that I was already the one who made it).
And I do have a good knowledge of the variations that can come out of the most of them.

This subject is now closed... please people try to keep from it happening again.

Black

Oto
27-05-2005, 09:10 PM
.... i am not Star Wars fan.... but... here is one of mine :blah:

Black
27-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Oto;
Thank you for your contribution to the contest.. but shall you agree the material/Shader/texture being black and in the shadows does not exactly desplay your entry at it's best.

You may want to add in a grey 'Clay render' aswel. If not for this entry for the next time. We can only judge what we can see.

Black

DaddyMack
27-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Oooh controversy... I love it!
Black starts to show his horns, Good to see sir;)
This is clearly turning out to be a very interesting corner of the world!
I realise that I haven't had much to say yet, I'm still trying to get a feel for this place, but I am following this thread intently each visit and I see some great talent and clearly skilled outputs...

Anyways here's my second, slightly more acceptable effort...An hour can sometimes feel like so long... not this time... I'll try another soon, see if I can squeeze a bit more of the noob out of me..

Cheers guys, and thanks threedy and all for a great way to excercise my grey matter... Much appreciated

the_bully
27-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey folks i need help :wall:
Im planing out my model now doing one of those racers and i played the old game for the n64. Theres this electric beam between the engines things
do all of them have that? And is that really in the movie i can not find any
reference pics on the web
please help

Antievo-3DT
27-05-2005, 09:44 PM
This is indeed an "interesting corner of the world" Daddy Mack.
Nice entry.

DaddyMack
27-05-2005, 09:49 PM
indeed :wave: Antievo
Cheers

fastrak
27-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey folks i need help :wall:
Im planing out my model now doing one of those racers and i played the old game for the n64. Theres this electric beam between the engines things
do all of them have that? And is that really in the movie i can not find any
reference pics on the web
please help
Are your referring to the pod-racers from episode 1? Then Yes they do. I could post some reference pics if needed.

the_bully
27-05-2005, 10:01 PM
fastrak

Yeah thats the one. Can please give me a link or a couple of pics to go by thanks
man i owe you one

fastrak
27-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Here is the link (http://www.planet.eon.net/~rborle/nickweb/nick.htm)
I just did a google search and this was first place I went....terrible site but a couple of nice pics.
Hope it helps. :)

fastrak
27-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Hello to everyone. Great models so far. I made this just to relax (still exams) no time to mess with texturing and lighting thow, just modelling. Made a hailfire droid

Sorry for not mentioning this earlier dude. Great job. You tackled a tough one. Kudos to your work. :)

UrsiNMC
Wow. Cool..good job

pixel pimp
Very nice indeed. What did you do for the cloth? extruded spline?
Looks great.

Conga, OtoGood job...keep it up

DaddyMack
Very nice indeed. I was thinking of that, but naaaaa. You did excellant with it.

the_bully
27-05-2005, 10:17 PM
fastrak

Thank you so much. That will help big time, Im playing the game now and pausing to get screen caps. Which are not that clear since Im playing on a super slow mac

Brodix
27-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Bully: You cant do the pod racer... The uuuhhhh... rules, yeah the rules state, uhhhh, Dang it. I have been looking for ref pics for ever lol good luck with your model.

the_bully
27-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Bully: You cant do the pod racer... The uuuhhhh... rules, yeah the rules state, uhhhh, Dang it. I have been looking for ref pics for ever lol good luck with your model.

Ohh so your doing one too i see :wall:
Well im going to start mine in a few on my break
And im looking forward to yours.I think one of the biggest problems im going to have is texturing it. The details are insane but ill give it a go :)

Brodix
27-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Heck I cant even find any good blueprints so I have yet to start

Black
27-05-2005, 10:58 PM
DaddyMack;
Hehehe.. lol now you get why I got hospitalised? :D
Well you now know two places that I hang out and try to help.. lets see if you can find the rest :) (Always helps to have clones of yourelf running around doesn't it? )

FireFly;
I had asked earlier when this question had come up.. what are you looking for? A weapon? a vehicle? a character?

The_Bully;
I have scanned and put together these from my series from the StarWars Fact-Files.. which is an outstanding collection of everything you can ask for about Star-Wars.
I am sure there are copywrite issues attached so I trust these shall be used for personal stuf only.
I have your email now and can always send you the higher res of this gathered set. I have this as only a sample; wasn't sure if you had wanted Anakin's PodRacer. In this image you can clearly see how the the bolts relate.
Shall you ask for other PodRacers you have to give me a name.. there are too many to go through and scan.

I have above also added the blueprints of Anakin's pod ... the thing at the right side is what his display console sort of looks like.

Well I hope this helps some of you.

Black

Brodix
27-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Black: Bully and I were both looking for Pod Racer Blueprints.

EDIT: Now The Rules didnt say it had to be actual models from star wars. Does that mean we can make our own design, as long as it fits in the starwars universe

the_bully
27-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Black

Thank you so much and you can rest a sure that i wont give out or use the attached picture for anything that would break the copyright.I have now started my model of one of the other pods but this image is great for the detail that i can not see,and textures, Thank once again:)

Black
27-05-2005, 11:12 PM
FireFly;
Hmm ok then tell me which one it is you need. I have to warn you though.. they ARE a devil to make!
As for the subject title.. you are definately right. Andy had put an explanatory statement reffering to the movie. But none the less they were not as limiting this time in the manner he used it? So the title it self is StarWars And you can deal with it best you can. Ronald Reagon had started a project 2 decades back carrying the same name. Shall you find access to their files you may model even one of those laser defence satalites :)

The_Bully;
Lol, I have no doubt you will... You are one of a kind.
You have to understand that I have to state that what so ever. It is posted none the less not emailed ;)

Best of luck to the all of you!

Black

mestes
27-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Software: 3ds Max 7 (Scanline R/S)
Model: 30 Minutes
Texturing: 15 Minutes
Rendering: 2 Minutes

ElMegnifico
27-05-2005, 11:39 PM
My version of the lightsaber :halo:

Zerzil
28-05-2005, 12:00 AM
I really wanted to try to find a decent material for R2 - with the lines etc already drawn in, which would make this a lot easier. I painted his top, but that's about it - have too much other stuff on the go, but here's what I have so far.

Software: Truespace 6
Model: 55 mins
Painting/Material: 2 mins - not enough :(
Rendering: < 2 mins

Black
28-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Lol; When R2 is concerned.. TRUST me.. there is a LOT of information on the net... even up to the amount of dents it got from which episode and etc...

Let me know if you still wish to work on it further and need refferences.

Pawz
28-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Black,

You wouldn't happen to have any blueprints of the Republic assualt vehicles, would you? Or some of the droid army vehicles as well? I'm not sure what the names are of the vehicles.. but for example, there's the huge tracked vehicle in ROTS, the rolling droid vehicle General Grievous drives off in, the amphibious droid vehicles involved in the fight on the Wookie planet, and so on..

Any information for these 'new' vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

pixel pimp
28-05-2005, 12:15 AM
just had time for a second one, so i thought id do something original. the lightsaber. this apparently is obi-wans lightsaber.

pixel pimp
28-05-2005, 12:26 AM
pixel pimp
Very nice indeed. What did you do for the cloth? extruded spline?
Looks great.

cheers fasttrack, i made the cloth by creating four wavy splines then using the 2-rail system thing to get the mesh. simple but effective.

Zerzil
28-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Lol; When R2 is concerned.. TRUST me.. there is a LOT of information on the net... even up to the amount of dents it got from which episode and etc...

Let me know if you still wish to work on it further and need refferences.

Oh, I trust ya - I just haven't had the time to look yet. :)
Thanks.

Z.

TRANCER
28-05-2005, 12:40 AM
hello all , your work is totally amazing!
i'am new here , and i came to this forum to learn 3d & to be like you :D

anyway i was wondering if any of you could plz make a tut to how make those awesome models

thx in advance mates

Oto
28-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Oto;
Thank you for your contribution to the contest.. but shall you agree the material/Shader/texture being black and in the shadows does not exactly desplay your entry at it's best.

You may want to add in a grey 'Clay render' aswel. If not for this entry for the next time. We can only judge what we can see.

Black

...i agree......

Smack Monkey
28-05-2005, 01:06 AM
wow, it's been a while since I had the time to post anything to these challenges but for this I will make the time.

fun, fun, fun

a.

Black
28-05-2005, 01:07 AM
So is the Monkey back?
To Smack?!

:D

We missed you Smack Monkey.. that would be great!

DaftPunk
28-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Ey black, earlier you mentioned you had collected and made a lot of SW 3d stuff, just wondering where one could find your contributions to the StarWars modeling out here on the net.

fastrak
28-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Black
You certainly are getting a work out from all the challengers on this one.
BTW...glad to see you hangin' with us. Always appreciate observations from the "master". :)

ferron
28-05-2005, 02:05 AM
this is my entry ...its the first one i have done.

the_bully
28-05-2005, 02:17 AM
There a lot of light sabers this week :dunno:
I finished my model but its going to take me a long time to texture it so i dont think ill be posting today :wall:

DawizNJ
28-05-2005, 02:40 AM
Hiyas!

I've been reading this thread with interest, and well...longing. I've just started using 3ds max, and although this topic intrigues me, I don't have the skills or skin thickness to participate.

However, I'd like to paste a link to a site I found while searching for some blueprints. It doesn't have a large selection, but it might help...even if it's for future reference. There's also some decent pictures.

A German (I think) site with some blueprints (http://www.drfreund.net/mainframe.htm?main#gallery_blueprint.htm)

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted.

Keep up the good work, I'm glued to this week's challenge.

Bill

Black
28-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Pawz;
Are you sure you are asking this for use for Speed modeling? Sure doesn't sound like it.

DaftPunk;
Mmm you would have to do Pear2Pear/Torrent searches for that... my contributions have gone through a funny story and are now only available in the pirate market.
As I have stated a few weeks back I am going to make a sections for most of my models free to be downloaded, when I finally manage to get our sites up and running...
Trying to gather things up befor then... will let you know.

Fastrak;
Boy are you right there! :D
As funny as this may sound to you I have also got this dirsturbing guy on my tail from another forum. had to reply through a MASS of private messages today, And even did some modeling in the same while. I guess I should kill Andy or something for the choice of the subject title.. :)
But naaa.. you know me; I have always loved to help out if I could.
Edit:I am sure you already know my answer to the Master bit.. I am far from earning any credit such... Maybe one day :)

DawizNJ;
There can never be a link too many :)
thank you for your participation!

Everyone;
I have just gone through a mail regarding to a StarWars fan film which was modest enough to ask me to take part...
It seems they shall be needing two models.
Both things that I don't already have.
I thought that I could do two things at once by preparing the base model in an hour to be contributed for you guys and then to work on it further later on.
They are not easy things to do, especially within an hour. So I shall be doing a lot of try-outs on them first...
I had another model in mind that I had prepared my ref images for. But in two attempts yesterday I couldn't model it to my liking within the hour. And now it seems I won't have the time to do it this time either.
I am posting the ref images I have prepared for my attempt; hoping it would be of use to one of you instead. (Ps the triangular thing is the display)

Good Luck!

Black

subcrocodile
28-05-2005, 02:44 AM
this is my first of this star wars challenge.i think that 1 hour is very little time for star wars models,i cannot do most of them each one in one hour.so i choosed the simplest one; lightsaber.

3dsmax7+finalrender
25 min modelling
nearly 1 hour texturing
0,5 min. each render scene.
compose:20 min.

Black
28-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Oh A small note about the model:
It is a Sith-Speeder that you can see in the first episode.

One method I found VERY useful was to have a polygon for the display screen have an extrusion to get the monitors shape and then to try and extrude a thin face along a curve.. in this case a semi circle.
Then to extrude the rest of the chasis from here.
It may sound a bit too radicle to compare to just using a cylinder.. but it really helps gain time..

Well best of luck for those that are going to attmpt it. I KNOW you are going to be needing it.

Black

Marty_McFly-3DT
28-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Alright now... I've seen at least two people say that making Lightsabers are "easy". Knock it off! Yeah... it might just be a cylindical shape... but there are many little details that go into making them look good/realistic. Proper planning is key... as it is for all Speed Modelling... but without knowing what you want and where you want it ahead of time... you'll find yourself struggling in the end. I only take minor offence to those statements because my first two models were Lightsabers... and although they may not be masterpieces... they shouldn't just be considered "easy".

Brodix
28-05-2005, 03:50 AM
I dunno Black that sith speeder May be better of starting as a torus,

<Rant> </Rant> <----Thats Funny that your posted it like that lol

fastrak
28-05-2005, 03:55 AM
Alright now... I've seen at least two people say that making Lightsabers are "easy". Knock it off! Yeah... it might just be a cylindical shape... but there are many little details that go into making them look good/realistic. Proper planning is key... as it is for all Speed Modelling... but without knowing what you want and where you want it ahead of time... you'll find yourself struggling in the end. I only take minor offence to those statements because my first two models were Lightsabers... and although they may not be masterpieces... they shouldn't just be considered "easy".

I second that!

Brodix
28-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Don't get me wrong I definately agree.

DaddyMack
28-05-2005, 04:21 AM
DaddyMack;
Hehehe.. lol now you get why I got hospitalised? :D
Well you now know two places that I hang out and try to help.. lets see if you can find the rest :) (Always helps to have clones of yourelf running around doesn't it? )

Black

*Blushes because Black may have discovered that there's more than one of me too*
lol... And you said you didn't have any kids yet... lol
I gave my best (albeit brief) effort at searching for ways to stalk you further but to no avail as yet... I shall add it to my todolist
BTW thanks Black for the headsup about this place... It really is a great measure of my current skillset, and just what I need at this stage :*poly:
Hey Cheers for Ani's pod too.. I was hunting that myself and will give it a shot!

And thanks to all you Threedy folk who participate in these challenges.. You guys ROCK!

Brodix
28-05-2005, 04:31 AM
phr34kz0r: Need to double check the rules bud

Black
28-05-2005, 04:57 AM
Daddy Mack;
Well what can say...
you are always good to have around. :)

Thank you for contributing to here as well!

phr34kz0r;
I would really listen to FireFly's advice.. I shall have to disqualify you if you fail to play along with the rules.
Go back; read through and try again please.

Black

antto
28-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Okay here's the better tie fighter model I said I'll do. Im still not too satisfied with it but its much better than the first. Good work on models people.

Marty_McFly-3DT
28-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Marty_McFly - You made a nice lightsaber! Haha, That spoon... *laugh* Funny...

Thanks alot dude! :D

Antto: Great improvement over your previous attempt! Kudos to you!!

Fastrak & FireFly: Thanks for standing by me. I hope I didn't come off as rude or anything like that because it was not my intention. I just didn't want my models to be written off by fellow modellers here just because they were "easy" Lightsabers. :roll:

Smack Monkey: Yay! Nice to see you commin back around man! Now get to modellin before I fetch my Vacuum Cleaner! ;P

Mestes, ElMegnifico, Pixel Pimp, Ferron, Subcrocodile, conga, Thoughtforms, FireFly, Puckducker, Henry_B, Antto:

Thanks for making sure that our fine Jedi and Sith will always have weapons to fight with! Keep up the good work! :)

Puckducker
28-05-2005, 06:43 AM
"Thanks for making sure that our fine Jedis and Siths will always have weapons to fight with! Keep up the good work!"

Hey, lets face it...Lightsabers are arguabely the coolest thing to come out of the Star Wars universe. I don't think there is a person alive who saw them in use in the films and didn't say "Damn, I'd love to have me one of those!"

Brodix
28-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Hey, lets face it...Lightsabers are arguabely the coolest thing to come out of the Star Wars universe. I don't think there is a person alive who saw them in use in the films and didn't say "Damn, I'd love to have me one of those!"

What?!?!?! You don't have one??? :lame:

No problem Marty, someone has to pay me :dance: :dunno:

thegimp
28-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Lots of great models so far...tons of lightsabers...so I went with a different weapon that played a major bargaining chip in the earlier movies. The thermal detonator. Not perfect...but..still learning. I'll attempt something else later. Lemme know what ya think.

Brodix
28-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Nice Boomer Gimpy :wave:

RideStowe
28-05-2005, 07:22 AM
thegimp: you are my hero, now lets see a clip of a biped covered in fur throwing it at jabba and watching him explode.

fastrak
28-05-2005, 08:58 AM
"Gonk" Power Droid
There were so many variations to this droid, I had a hard time finding more than 1 of the same. Hope this is ok. C&C welcome, since I don't know what I'm doing with the Star Wars stuff.

info on the pic

RideStowe
28-05-2005, 09:27 AM
/me gives endless praise to fastrak. i'm glad you didn't jump into this one, and you finally chose something to model. this is fantastic, i was thinking about doing this guy today, but didn't have the time and probably would've lost to yours anyways :P

phr34kz0r
28-05-2005, 09:40 AM
phr34kz0r;
I would really listen to FireFly's advice.. I shall have to disqualify you if you fail to play along with the rules.
Go back; read through and try again please.

Black

:o Ok, I see now. sorry :o I don't have photo shop or any other other photo editing software :cry: , so I'll try with MS Paint. If I get everything down to one pic can I still post?

Brodix
28-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Just make sure you delete your old stuff, But ill shut up and let Black Mod Now :wave:

phr34kz0r
28-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Ok, thanks. Sorry about the whole mess up. I deleted my first post and will have a correct one later tonight. I know the renders can't over lap each other but is it ok to leave in a little bit of the backgground? Cut and paste options are very limited for me. I'll explain it a little better. I have the scene with all the textures and lighting. I go in and cut the grey shade and the wire and paste it into the scene and there is still a little bit of the black background showing from the previous renders. Is that OK?

Brodix
28-05-2005, 10:01 AM
And......... IM SPENT!! I have made this dang thing 3 times and this is as close as I am going to get :grr: . So It is In great FireFly fashion Unfinished... :dunno:

Maya 6
Modeled in 60 minutes

phr34kz0r
28-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Ok...I hope I've finally done this right. If not, inform me and I'll just give up on this whole thing :cry: .

Software: 3d studio max 5
Modeling time: 30 minutes
Textures: around 20 minutes

Brodix
28-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Looks good to me. Nice model

phr34kz0r
28-05-2005, 10:15 AM
(insert cheers and happiness here) Thanks. :smug: Yours is good too.

fastrak
28-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Ok...I hope I've finally done this right. If not, inform me and I'll just give up on this whole thing :cry: .

Software: 3d studio max 5
Modeling time: 30 minutes
Textures: around 20 minutes

Don't quit. Your did great. Good Job. If you need a imaging program, go to downloads.com. Look for "the gimp". FREE editing program. Worth a look.

FireFly
Well done m8. Good job on tackling a tough one for sure. Kudos.

Ridestowe
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate that.

phr34kz0r
28-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't quit. Your did great. Good Job. If you need a imaging program, go to downloads.com. Look for "the gimp". FREE editing program. Worth a look.

I shall. Thanks alot. :smug: :smug:

RideStowe
28-05-2005, 10:36 AM
i need to find some good solid time to sit down and actually do these contests. but it's so close to the end of school, trying to get so much stuff done!

Black
28-05-2005, 10:59 AM
TheGimp;
Thank you for contributing to this weeks challange.
We often tend to try and share our refferences for us all to be able to make best use of... was your refference publically accessable for us to take a look at as well?

Phr34kz0r;
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Welcome to the game.

FireFly;
I hear ya.. wasn't an easy one... I know!

RideStowe;
Things should come in an order of priority... go on and do your studies decently.. you know that the competition will be here inyour vacation :)
Then we will have you ful powered!

Great entries so far.. good luck all of you!

Black

Oto
28-05-2005, 03:17 PM
3d sTUDIO mAX

mODELING: 60 mIN
tEXTURING & LiGHTING: 15 mIN
rENDERING: 5 mIN
pHOTOSHOP: 10 mIN

Oto
28-05-2005, 03:44 PM
3d sTUDIO mAX

mODELING: 2 mIN
tEXTURING: 1 mIN
rENDERING: 3 sEC
pHOTOSHOP: 1 mIN

TOTAL: 4.3 mIN............. anybody faster ?????? :evil:

Jannik
28-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Oto please care to read post #90 -#94...
next time it might be a great idea to read the thread through before posting, maybe something like this would pop up :roll:

cheers

Antievo-3DT
28-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow, so many good models. As soon as I get home from my fathers house I will whip
up something worth looking at (I hope.) I don't have any 3D aps here, hehe - and it
really sucks. You guys are taking all the good ideas! Hehe.

And btw Antto. I see you also found Wings3D as a usefull tool?
I love that wonderfull piece of freeware. Good model also btw.

----

Oto - Have a look at my 1st entry on page 6 I think. It was faster, hehe.
(please note that the "holocrons" were not a serious entry from my side.
Just a joke gone bad, lol)

Black
28-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Jannik;
It is impossible to always keep up onto the forums, and imputs of people like you happen to make it so much easier. It helps the forum move on on it's own with a lot much less problems.
But the diffrence of Oto here would be that he has already contributed a few times to the threads,
and we all have humour intended posts some times accompanied by humour intended entries.
There IS a thin line how ever...
I am preffering to trust that that line will not be crossed that easily since in both occasions the situation was protected by you guys.

Antievo;
There are many related to the movies.. and none the less you can always model something a second time. :)

Antievo-3DT
28-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Antievo;
There are many related to the movies.. and none the less you can always model something a second time. :)

Thank's for the encouraging words mate. I will enter with something else later this week.
And now I "know how" to texture! Hehe.

onemore
28-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi all!

This is my fast model. Info on pic.

RideStowe
28-05-2005, 08:43 PM
nice onemore!

Marty_McFly-3DT
28-05-2005, 10:43 PM
nice onemore!

Hmm... are you congratulating him/her... or are you asking for him/her to make another model? :smug:

(Sorry... they just jump out of me I swear! There's a malfunction in my V-Chip or something...)

Oh... btw, I agree with RideStowe... Uhh... I think. Nice Onemore!? Hmm...

Rashika-3DT
28-05-2005, 11:39 PM
hey onemore, good job on that pod racer. did you use the dynamics spring for the connection wires?

b3ta
29-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi,

As usaual, so many great models this week, a good but tricky subject!

UrsiNMC Your AT Walker is great, was thinking of trying that myself, glad I didn't now - nice job

pixel pimp Good cloth, and lots of detailing, solid entry

Justo No idea what it is, but I like it!

Adamos Your Sebulba models great, did you use planar projection from a screen grab for the texture, and set the model at the same angle? - any way - very good

onemore Unbelievable! - So much detail - congrats

Everyone else, also good work

So now my (poor) attempt, kind of ran out of time, camera angle hides a multitude of sins!!

thegimp
29-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah Black..i went to The Force.Net (http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Weapons/Thermal_Detonator) like you mentioned. I'll admit that it doesn't look exactly like the one in the image..but it was as close as I could get.

the_bully
29-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Had a hard time with this one.Ill post it any way

Software : Cinema 4d
Modeling time: all 60
rendering time: 8mins
texturing time: lost track
Post effects: 15 mins

Brodix
29-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Wow very nice everyone. Everyone is comming full swing now. I guess I'll quit sissing around and step it up a notch! My next one is gonna be sweet. :D

JAPO
29-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Great topic indeed and great entries indeed :)

To all who tried TIE fighter: I bow to your effort. I created TIE couple of times in the past, so I know how hard it is. I may try it for this competition as well, but... I will see :)

To all lightsaber makers: Great work. Jedis would turn to the Dark side to get their hands on some of those :).

To Puckducker: I may think bent lightsaber is an abomination, but that picture is great. Just great.

To D-Russ: Great interrogation droid. I saw the image... and I confessed everything :)

To Black: Do not kill Andy or whoever came with this topic :) It is soooooo great :wave:

I already have my model. I have been practising it for some time so I would not waste any minute and now it is finished. Practice makes perfect :) Only texturing remains. But texturing kills me (rendering then takes my corpse and mutilates it further) :)

Anyway, back to work. Just wanted to say hello :)

Brodix
29-05-2005, 01:52 AM
I am having technical diffulties... I know I should put this in the Modeling Forum but It has to do with this challange. I am Using Maya 6, I have made some lofted surfaces, and attached them, but when i try to attach the final 2 pieces, it is connecting top to bottom, but i want it to attach side to side. I have tried to change surface directions, curve direcetions. But no success. It just changes top to bottm or bottom to top. If you need a pic just holler

adamos
29-05-2005, 01:59 AM
This is a TIE INTERCEPTOR. At last it sholud be.
Ahy how. Modeling time:60 min
Software: MAX 6.0+ Vrey(free)
And one thing about SEBULBA i have use ref pics from tutorial which i found here on 3DTOTAL. This same pics a put as e texture.

gimmix
29-05-2005, 02:07 AM
i wonder why nobody did this yet ;)

Rashika-3DT
29-05-2005, 02:10 AM
Fantastic job on that tie interceptor Adamos. some great detail there. how did you accomplish the front window? i had some trouble extruding from the sphere, is it a seperate object?

POST 100! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Renz
29-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi! Andy , Black
...time limit - 2 x 60 minutes = 2 hours
deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 27th April 2005
subject - Board/table game

let's see some spectacular models this challenge. You've got two hours to create a model of a board game..........

Wow,... Real good models/try from everyone.. I feel Andy should have taken this week off. so everybody could have had one more hour to model some more fantastic droids , Ships/pods, Light sabers.. etc...

Hope i can find time to join this week's speed challenge. Good luck every one..

Black your continuous presence is cheering every one this week. THX..

adamos
29-05-2005, 02:18 AM
THX RASHIKA, you aks you have.
This is how i make this.

MorpheusCarcara
29-05-2005, 02:23 AM
My first post here ....
modelled a gun.

Brodix
29-05-2005, 02:26 AM
Adamos: Very nice... when I said it was time for me to step it up, you make this?!?! My ladder does not go that high. You need to delete the TIE step it down a notch, and try again, lol j\k good job

adamos
29-05-2005, 02:36 AM
And now its time for R-TWO

barakefi10
29-05-2005, 02:41 AM
modeling 55 minutes in poly

maya 6.0

1. the wirefarme
2. the photo

barakefi10
29-05-2005, 02:46 AM
sorry i forgot the wireframe
so here it is

adamos
29-05-2005, 02:51 AM
you must put wire and render in one picture. Please read the rules. They are realy simple.

barakefi10
29-05-2005, 02:58 AM
yes i know but i have a problem with my photoshop and i can't pu them together.

adamos
29-05-2005, 02:59 AM
well then its look to me like a DQ.

barakefi10
29-05-2005, 03:06 AM
here it is

adamos
29-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Please stop it. Use edit option dont post new reply couse they are empty there is no wire.

onemore
29-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Hi rashika, my model have not any connected parts:)

Adamos you have really good models in this week.

sorry for my english!

Black
29-05-2005, 03:24 AM
TheGimp;
Did you use the photo's as ref or the 3D object? I had a mind to go for a replica.. I love that prop.
Don't worry.. the time is short for any of us to be too precise.

Japo;
Don't worry.. I will let him live a little bit more...
And his not being around is not related to my actions :roll:
:)

Renz;
I actually had a mind of doing that.. was thinking of contacting Andy on the matter. Just couldn't get around.
I too agree that it would be cool to have you guys really be able to investigate things and do them the best you can.

Barakefi10;
Posting a wire frame is like getting disqualified... "you do... or you do not".
No excuse

Sorry for the delay guys..
had things to do and I was away from the computer

Black

Brodix
29-05-2005, 03:28 AM
Black: do you know how to fix my problem on page 16?