View Full Version : Waves!
30-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I need to simulate wave of different formations.
I am not satisfied with reactor water, because i can not simulate waves on different shaped objects(sphere).
Is there any method to do it on sphere not using flex and any plugins?
30-05-2005, 04:39 PM
hmmm I dont really understand what your trying to do, there are ripple/wave modifiers you can use.
...or you can bind a ripple/wave spacewarp to a mesh(or part of a mesh) and get a wave effect.
30-05-2005, 09:56 PM
i want to do smth like this:
in the middle of scene there is a sphere.
drops of water fall from top and create waves on sphere.
ripple/wave modifier gives endless waves.
I mean waves must appear and go away=)
simple simulation of reactor water, but reactor water is a plane and i need sphere.
30-05-2005, 11:03 PM
I mean waves must appear and go away
Thats easy then with the ripple modifier, you just auto key your phase and decay.
Set your decay(0.2 or whatever nulls your wave) then autokey it down to zero and then back up to what you had it at.
heres the jist of it, about 2 secs worth of setup...
WAVE BALL (http://home.comcast.net/~dfart/wave.avi)
07-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, I agree with Deadly Freeze. If u take a look the 3ds Max Help file,it says:
"You need to provide reactor with a graphical representation for the water if you want it to appear in your final animation. To do this, you need to bind a plane (or any other planar geometry) to the water."
So reactor cannot create water waves on sphere. But u could simulate with other modifier.
07-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Well I think I'm wrong...
U still can create the "water ball" effect.... but there's no reasonable physique.
07-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Here's another "water ball". More "extreme" wave...
To "wave" and "ripple" enough, u could
1. increase Scale Strength for the Sphere's water world space modifier
2. increasing Max Ripple for water space warps
What's wrong in this animation is, the 2 pinks sphere supposed floating on the surface of the water ball, but they don't.
26-06-2005, 09:01 AM
hi, can you be a little more specific on how to make this efect with reactor, im trying to get something similar to this.(see pic). thanks in advance
27-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Ok HenryB, here's my step by step tutorial for "ball falling on the water surface" animation.
First the animation:
27-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Step 1: Prepare the models (1 sphere, and 1 plane)
Sphere (XYZ Position is 0,0,200)
Plane (XYZ Position is 0,0,0)
Length Segs: 50
Width Segs: 50
27-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Step 2: Add the sphere into Rigid Body Collection
1. Select the sphere > click Create Rigid Body Collection at the Reactor toolbar.
2. While the sphere still selected > Click Open Property Editor > Input 10.0 for Mass > Select Bounding Sphere.
27-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Step 3: Create Water Space Warp
1. Click Create Water on the Reactor toolbar > Drag a water space warp at top viewport.
2. Change the setting for water space warp at modifier panel:
27-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Step 4: Bind the plane to the water space warp
1. Select plane > Click Bind to Space Warp on main toolbar.
2. Press H > On the popup dialog select Water01 > Click Bind.
3. Click Create Animation at reactor toolbar.
28-06-2005, 04:21 AM
Wow .... Thank you so much!!
i really apreciate it!!
thanks a lot Maggie
28-06-2005, 06:02 PM
i am student can u give me water material. why i asking because my team project making.pls help
28-06-2005, 06:20 PM
It's already inside ur material library. For the second one, I just changed the color of Ambient to #465E7B, Diffuse to #587990, Opacity: 75, and remove the bump map.
13-07-2005, 11:48 AM
excellent tutorial MaggieQue
16-07-2005, 10:15 AM
can you use this same method using a particle effect? To show something like rain.
18-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi, so far Water Spacewarp work with Reactor only.
Take a look at this:
Interaction between Particle System and other object require Deflector. So far there are OmniFect and DynaFlect only. Omniflect has Refraction and Spawning capability, Dynaflect could let the particles strike and move the object.
If u take a look the Help File, there are POmniFect, PDynaFlect, SOmniFlect, SDynaFlect, UOmniFlect, UDynaFlect, SDeflector, UDeflector, and Deflector only. P means Planar, S means Sphere, U means Universal (use the model shape exactly).
So here's some solution for u:
1. Don't use Particle system, but add each drop of rain models into Rigid Body Collection, so they could interact with water spacewarp. (u could write maxscript to generate rain drop model at random time, random position, then add them into RB collection and give them weight).
2. Use Ripple modifier or Ripple spacewarp, since there are so many rain drop particle, who care that each drop generate each ripple?
3. Use plugin like 3DAliens' Glu3D or NextLimit's RealFlow
If I'm wrong please tell me.
vBulletin® v3.7.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.