PDA

View Full Version : speed modelling challenge - week 68 - something fishy

Pages : [1] 2

Andy_k-3DT
13-10-2005, 02:55 AM
The rules are simple

1, Each week we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modelling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive.

How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief will be removed and the poster disqualified

2, You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified

3, Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframes we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified

4, You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containg the required information will be removed and the poster disqualified.

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 800x600 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 100k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images Files. larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified

6, time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the alocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizeable.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions

This weeks challenge;

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 19th of October 2005
Subject - fish

a whole lot more organic this week, any type of fish; freshwater, saltwater, tropical etc etc.

It's your call but we will be looking for accurate models which clearly represent the fish species you are modelling

good luck

Andy

here's a starter, a black bass

hammering3D
13-10-2005, 02:58 AM
hmm this week look's fishy ;P

hehe nice one, I model one a fish and is so fun...
Good luck Ppl ;P

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 02:59 AM
nice fish andy! lets do something fishy :>

Nehumanuscrede
13-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Here comes the organics!

Going to have to put Rhino aside this week and try to work solely in Softimage. :)

Assuming my system behaves of course. CMOS checksum error popped up last night and decided it wasn't gonna boot. Cleared it via jumper / battery removal and still same issue. Replacing the battery today. Hope it works, really don't want to flash the bios or *horrors* replace the motherboard. :(

Anyhoo, should be interesting to see what is done this week.

Good luck all !

DESPISTADO
13-10-2005, 03:17 AM
woww andy nice topic, this will be a very hard challenge.

best regards

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 03:26 AM
Yo hey, this is one Amazing topic! just what i need to model and learn hehe! (:

Good luck Everyone!

Black
13-10-2005, 03:37 AM
A "Black Bass" eh?

Pun un-intended :p
A very nice starter Andy.... though you know why I have to disqualify you don't you?

Andy_k-3DT
13-10-2005, 03:43 AM
A "Black Bass" eh?

Pun un-intended :p
A very nice starter Andy.... though you know why I have to disqualify you don't you?

oh, there's probably about 25 reasons but then again - I don't care :D

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Orkron
13-10-2005, 03:45 AM
that's so funny, I was going to model a fish when I got home from school today, then the challenge is a fish!!! Now I have 2 reasons to model one (a ton) :)

hammering3D
13-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Hey, maybe this will help somebody to see various species:
http://www.moosetrackadventures.com/fishing.species.html

alidanesh
13-10-2005, 03:54 AM
so nice model andy..and tnx for subject...lest go model

Dark_Sword
13-10-2005, 04:00 AM
I don't much know how to do organics yet...

So, with that in mind I tried to do something I knew how.

Turns out I didn't and this is what happened:

I tried to beat anyone going to do the "Christ-fish-thing" to the punch and, well...

I hope it's acceptable...

3Ds Max
Metal Ray
Modeling: 15 min.
Texturing & others: 10min.
Rendering: 5min.

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 04:06 AM
Dark_Sword: I guess that it wont be accepted because in description it says organic fish

Dark_Sword
13-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Poo. Well... Eh, I got up and did something...

I should probably get in the habit of reading the rules before making something based on the topic...

Black
13-10-2005, 04:09 AM
oh, there's probably about 25 reasons but then again - I don't care :D

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:The new generation kids... they just never care about anything :(
:p

Dark_Sword;
Please go through the concept once again.. you shall notice that you are expected to acurately model out an organic fish.

Black

Lighter
13-10-2005, 04:26 AM
Wow. This is going to be one tough week.

I'll see if I can't do this on 3D Studio with that trial, since that's what I'm focusing on learning now as opposed to Maya.

Good luck everyone!

Sydney075
13-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Little bit of inspiration I'm sure most have seen it but none the less it is amazing.
http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies.html
Angler video first one.

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 04:57 AM
OK fish it is. I did VERY simple model using some spacewarp and other effects to get fast result. I just wanted to throw out an entry before I go to bed, wich is now :D hope you like it

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Modeling 3D Studio MAX 6
time: 54 Minutes
Happy: yes
Rendering:

Boxmodeling used, this is my first fish ever! I think it looks cool, the fish is not based of a real fish species I just looked at fishes in general and came up with this. to bad I should have adjusted the eyes...

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 05:04 AM
Wow Omegan Urs looks really cool! wow How could u do that in 15 minutes? lol i need to learn... (:

Design
13-10-2005, 05:32 AM
OmegaN So real and perfect, well done buddy

Lakeoffire
13-10-2005, 06:06 AM
OmegaN, very cool how the thinner parts of the fish are more translucent than the parts covering its insides. Very nice. Maybe it's just the texture, but it's very convincing.

Makonde
13-10-2005, 08:40 AM
wow, great topic :D i suck at organic models, but this just means i'll get some practice :D. Already two really awesome models, good job to TheWinterLord and OmegaN - your materials are crazy, and i need to learn how to model something in 15 minutes...

i just have one question though, by organic fish, are other waterdwelling animals also included? like octopus, and sharks? because they're not fish... i think. was just wondering, my model will be up soon anyways :D

Aioria
13-10-2005, 11:35 AM
ohhhhhh here is my entry :dance:

GraphicDragon
13-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Nice topic.
hammering3D: Very good non-tropical reference material.
OmegaN: Yours is the one to beat so far. Good job.

Rooky
13-10-2005, 12:03 PM
wow - really smells like a fish party :D
OmegaN - NICE one you have there!!!!! I would say that it looks nearly real!!!
Aiora - a very nice model too - but I can't see a wire in your post :/ your shaded view of your fish hasn't no wire eather!! =\

Design
13-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Very nice guys, lots of nice models as starters, mine will be up in a while

Design
13-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Aioria Nice model but im wondering is it a real fish?
you need to show the mesh before smoothing it in your post

Design
13-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Here is my first Entry

3D Max 7 Modelling almost 60 Minutes
Rending & Texture 1:15

Hope you like it, Comments are welcomed

I changed the lights only and posted the new render.in within the old one.

alidanesh
13-10-2005, 01:21 PM
OmegaN :waw...cant belive ..its really nice.....and i think its simple manner of it is a +point of that..save time in animation...againg:its very nice

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Design I really like the lightning! can u tell me how you did it? (:

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 02:22 PM
TheWinterLord: thanks! ncie fish, he looks like a gangster boss :D well the key to this models speed was to model very simple and then use spacewarps and modifiers + paint deformation to get those wavy patterns. Best is to use diffrent techniques together because else it looks too mutch like a repeating pattern.

Design: thanks, i appriciate it. very nice shark. But the material looks a little black on the middle bottom shark.

Lakeoffire: thanks, glad you noticed! The secret behind that effect is a opacitymap (and the texture is a little brighter there aswell).

Makonde: thanks :D

Aioria: nice modelling. hes got authority and character =)

GraphicDragon: thank you for the nice words =)

Rooky: thanks! =)

alidanesh: thanks! yea its good to know how to model simple and still get some result.

Thanks all for your comments I get so happy everytime =) Its just inspires me to continue with 3D and never giveup etc etc :D

If someone want to know how I did that texture in only 30min I will share:
First I modeled after a reference picture. After modelling I put a planar uvw map to all my objects that was exactly the same in size and position. Then I just projected my reference picture to the mesh (and moved the uv so the fish texture overlapped my mesh). then I opened up the refpic in photoshop and made some adjustments where the texture didnt fit my mesh too good. When I was "satisfied" (im not really i did it a little too hasty so it got some bad texturing) I started to draw an opacity map (black and white) from the reference so I got the illusion of translucensy. I did that one also kinda hasty but it gave quite nice result.

If your fish is fat this way is not a good way to texture because your top and bottom of the fish will be stretched texture. It dosnt work on too complex things eather because of the texture is projected with a planar map, then you have to use uwv unwrap. And this is almost only possible if you get a nice highres reference picture. The key is to model as close to the reference as possible so your projection of the texture gets good and so you get to tweak as little as possible in photoshop. Then you can start making all kinds of maps if you like, like specularity,bump etc (I did only opacity because of lazyness). Hope this helps someone =)

Design
13-10-2005, 03:25 PM
OmegaN I used the Material from the refrnce pic i used to model. this is how it looks in real under water.
WinterLord More than happy to.sorry for the delay i just saw your post
it is abit tricky and it took me alot of trials to get the result i want.
here it goes

The Whole Scene :

Creat a box and set the length segment 75, width segment 75 Hight segment 1
add to it noise modifier, and set the Z buffer to 10 or more. for me i used 30. this will help get the small hills.i found out this is the best way to do it fast.
assign the ground sand material from the material editor.

Ok now make a spot light and in the spot light parameters set the Host Beam to 75 and make sure you place the light abit higher than usual to get a bigger area to light.

Now Here is the trick, in the advanced effect you will find Projector Map.it will open same way like the material editor and there chose bitmap and use the map i attached Below. i found out that it gives the best effect.
this will give you the dark shadows on the bottom.after that you can play with the aspect number from the spotlight parameter to get the best effect for the projector.

now from the render rollout chose environment, under the atmosphere press add and chose fog. underneath change the colour to the colour you wish i used R 64 G 166 B 175, in the standard rollout you will find far%. you can keep it a hundred for me i used 50 this will chose till how far you can see.

also the same way as the fog, from the add chose volume light. underneath it you will find a button labled picklight,click it and then chose the spot light. it will show in the empty box next to it.

now set the density to something low me i used 0.3, because a high density will spoil it.this will give the white rays from the light and exclude the black Shades from the projector map. and give the cool result.
thats about it Done
render and see how it comes.

Hope i explained it in a clear way

WinterLord I know your an excellent modeller but i went into details incase any of the newbies want to learn it

ENJOY!!!

xcessi
13-10-2005, 03:26 PM
OmegaN very nice job

Had trouble with my texturing.. so I abandoned it... :ugh:

Design
13-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Xcessi nice model.

MichaelM
13-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Good luck everyone! I might sit this one out - might be a bit tricky for me unless I get really motivated over the weekend.. We'll see.

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Design: oh sorry my bad then :)
xcessi: thanks. hehe cool fish, he looks like hes in a comedy =)

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 03:54 PM
THanx a lot Both Omegan and Design! Design I will try doing that lightning effect now ty, Xcessi nice fish.

xcessi
13-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks Omega & Design
It's supposed to be a Guppy

PKT
13-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Cool topic Andy
and really awsome entry OmegaN

Here is my first entry for this weeks challenge:
Software: 3d studio max 7
Modeling-time: 60 min
Scene and wobbler: 15 min
Rendering-time: 20 sec

I use Loft modifier to create the base shape.

qais
13-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Here is my first entry for this week,it's a red fishy :o
Software:Maya 5.0
Time Taken:40 min

Qais

Design
13-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Qais Vey Nice

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 05:41 PM
hey thanx a lot but there is a slight problem that took me some time to figure out...
You said: Design also the same way as the fog, from the add chose volume light. underneath it you will find a button labled picklight,click it and then chose the spot light. it will show in the empty box next to it.

now set the density to something low me i used 0.3, because a high density will spoil it.this will give the white rays from the light and exclude the black Shades from the projector map. and give the cool result.
thats about it Done
render and see how it comes.

U said set density to 0.3, well that should be 3... thats how i get the same results as u did in ur post. (:

v@la
13-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Liots of nice work here..

This is mine.

Poly M: 1h
Texture: 2h
Effects: 30min

Rendertime 2min

3Dsmax 7.0

TheWinterLord
13-10-2005, 05:54 PM
v@la Welcome to the Forum! wow thats the way to go! Nice entry, I really like that one!

SubCroC
13-10-2005, 06:15 PM
this week's subject is great.thanks Andy-3DT for this.

Omegan
wow!! impressive work.texturing is perfect.i want the render without wireframe.i wish i could add it into my 3d art collection made by great artists.

design

a great one . very good and dreadfull lol.

pkt
a cools scene.

qais
nice model. good work.

v@la
another impressive one.pretty fish,fish's lookin' eyes has sense,btw welcome to forum.

Design
13-10-2005, 06:29 PM
WinterLord i said for me i set it to 0.3 because my secene is abit small, but if you use a big scene yes set it higher. anyway glad i was of help and that it worked

V@la Very nice and welcome to the forum

MightyPlatypus
13-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Great models! The best so far: PKT and v@la :D

My entry:

Aerics
13-10-2005, 06:39 PM
really nice subject.
The modeling is no problem. But i`m a texture noob?
From where all the guys here get the textures and how you use them?
Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

Design
13-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Great Model Yall, i added a new render to the entry with new lights and kept the Old one too. check it out.

OmegaN check it out

Garner
13-10-2005, 07:36 PM
well not being an organic modeller found this one quite tough but got there in the end. found a great refrence image on the net and used it for the texture. heres my No.1 this week......good old.....goldy!!!

Yedan
13-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Organics is not my strong piont at all, but hey its all good fun, anyway here's my attempt at a mackerel.

sematic
13-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Here's my first attempt this week.
Its a really simple model.
I think I'll try something a bit more complex in a couple of days..

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 08:41 PM
PKT: thanks. Not an bad entry yourself, nice texture and model. I just have one little little critic and that is to make your scene a little brighter around the fish. I know its probably superdark where the fish is in its nature but it would make it easier for us (me) to see the nice texturing you have done =)

qais: nice texturing. looks like a jellyfish with its eye =)

v@la: nice fish model and texture. Gets a nice feeling with the bending of the fish, nice!

SubCroC: hehe thanks mate! If you really want one I can get one for you with some touchups =)

MightyPlatypus: nice fish =)

Design: that is much better! atleast I think so =)

Garner: nice model and texture, nice to see some specularity beeing used =)

Yedan: nice texture =) a little lowres ground tho thats all :)

mimi01
13-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi, everybody! Nice subject, Andy and great starter.

OmegaN - Wonderful entry! Congratulations!!!
Aioria - cute model!
Design - great shark
xcessi - nice modelling.
v@la - great entry. Welcome! Hope to see more from you.
Garner - Fantastic!!!

Here's my entry:

A brazilian piranha!

modelling time: 60min
textures: 50min
lights and render: 20min
3ds max5

Délé
13-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Holy Moley! If this start is any indication, we're in for a heck of a week. The models, texturing and renderings are outstanding.

OmegaN - Excellent work! I can't believe how fast you whipped that out.

TheWinterLord - Nice job!

Aioria - Looks good!

Design - Great job! Love the lighting.

xcessi - Nice model!

PKT - Excellent model and render!

qais - Nice work!

V@la - Welcome to the speed modeling forum. Very nice model and render!

MightyPlatypus - Great job! Nice model and excellent render!

Garner - Excellent goldfish!

Yedan - Looks like a good organic model to me. Nice fish!

sematic - Like the texturing and render. I look forward to seeing your next one.

mimi01 - Nice piranha! Both model and render are excellent!

VegaMan
13-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Darn, i thought id be the first to make a piranha hehe :P.
Great work so far everyone! Heres my entry:

SubCroC
13-10-2005, 10:58 PM
[B]SubCroC: hehe thanks mate! If you really want one I can get one for you with some touchups =)

:)

aye i meant that :D ,i will be very pleased if u post it(without wireframe) into my e-mail in high quality that signed by ur nick.will keep it in my collection.thank u for effort by postin' it.

subcrocodile26@yahoo.com

OmegaN
13-10-2005, 10:58 PM
mimi01: thanx! nice pirayah. I dont want to swim near that =)
Délé: thanks for the comment =) well I got lucky with good reference/texture material, thats all =)

VegaMan: good texture and pirayah. nice environment too, maybe a little dark =)

SubCroC: heres the picture! If you want higher resolution tell me, but it can take a little longer because I did composition of the fishes in photoshop for 800x600 =)
Click here for fish (http://www.omegan.se/cg/3dtotal68_fish_yellow.jpg)

AD-Max
13-10-2005, 11:53 PM
okay after the first post I've learn my lesson"read the rules before posting"..so here's my new entry..

Orkron
14-10-2005, 12:03 AM
really nice subject.
The modeling is no problem. But i`m a texture noob?
From where all the guys here get the textures and how you use them?
Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

An idea...Use the Alien Organic ttcd, I bet that would render some nice results! Some very tropical texture there!

antoniocc20
14-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Nice models , intresting subject..........this is going to be a hard one for noobies like me ...il try to come up with something.

Makonde
14-10-2005, 01:19 AM
hi all, :) i love the texturing on all your models, they look really great. I couldn't get a nice texture tho, and i don't know how to unwrap yet :( decided to make my fish a lil differently, hope u like it. good job to everyone :D

SubCroC
14-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Omegan
thank u for this. i have wallpapered it.:)

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey here is my second entry, thanxs to Design WHo learned me to set up this lightning! (:

I decided to make a swordfish with boxmodeling.
Nice Gold fish Makonde

Diabolos
14-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Autodesk Maya (sounds/looks wierd)
HDRi render (Maya)
Maya time: 60 min

Diabolos
14-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Welcome back Orkron. Did you escape from the Mad Scientist's Labs or were you let free - are you Orkron or one of Marty's inventions pretending to be you.

:smug: D

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 02:22 AM
Diabolos thats reall cool, i like the look of that fish with that style of lightnign and textureing!

Garner Amazing modeling and texturing, really imressive!

Diabolos
14-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Diabolos thats reall cool, i like the look of that fish with that style of lightnign and textureing!

Thanks TheWinterLord! I haven't been around much lately to comment on your stuff, but you make some cool models.

D,

adamos
14-10-2005, 02:29 AM
OmegaN- nice fishie man
And now my entry: Simple Gold Fish
Modeling time: :grr: 60 min :grr:
Software: Max 6.0

OmegaN
14-10-2005, 02:30 AM
AD-Max: nice material. but its to dark to se your scene detail =)
Makonde: its the golden fish! the new oscar statue =)
Diabolos: haha nice fish. good model and texture
TheWinterLord: hehe nice fish, now you just need a sword (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?p=393670#post393670) with the fish. a swordfish! hehe bad joke I know but its getting late, atleast its my sword ;)

adamos: thanks, nice fish yourself, nice texturing to

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 02:42 AM
haha OmegaN nice Sword! Diablolos thanx for ur comment.
Adamos nice entry, one question, how long did it take you to texture it? The fish is perfect, i love the colors hehe!

adamos
14-10-2005, 02:48 AM
THX TheWinterLord. Texture its put simple whit planar maping, thats all...

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 02:59 AM
but if its planar, then how come there is texture on the bottom of the fish? aah let me guess did you disconnect polygons and then mapped all different sections?

adamos
14-10-2005, 03:02 AM
No, as i say its planar maping from the side. Meybe i could send to you this model and then you can watch how it work??

wdl
14-10-2005, 03:12 AM
Adamos: Great model and texture!!

Seen some other great entries too already... keep em coming.

Here's my first for this week (will make another one if i can find some time)
Software: 3D max 7
Modelling time: 45 minutes

Tyson
14-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Hi.
I modeled a basic smallmouth bass for my entry.
Over the summer, I caught about 50 fish from various lakes on about 5 trips. I caught quite a few Kentucky bass, and an 8 pound largemouth bass from my uncle's pond. I love to fish. :)
As always, please excuse the lack of fancy materials and rendering.
Comments and critiques are appreciated and respected.
Edit: Attached a render onto the image. The texturing took about 5 minutes, and the render itself about 1 minute. Thanks.
-Tyson

THX Superman
14-10-2005, 04:45 AM
Hey everyone, great entries so far. Keep up the good work. Here's my teo cents. Or maybe three fifty. :drool:

Destroythenseek
14-10-2005, 05:57 AM
Where did you guys get the textures for the fish!?!?

THX Superman
14-10-2005, 06:02 AM
The thing about fish is that they are very symmetrical. Pretty much, one side looks like the other. If you don't want to/can't paint, google a type of fish and there you go. All you have to do is have a side shot of a fish and instant texture. :dance: :dance: :dance:

DT_art
14-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Ok, here's my first entry. An eel's a fish right? Ya, it is, isn't it? If I'm stupid and mistaken let me know.

Nehumanuscrede
14-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Okay, here comes first fish. Clownfish was the reference. Would look a whole lot LIKE a clownfish if the UV map hadn't driven me insane. In the end, after moving points for an hour or so, I elected to leave it untextured and use the time to think about another fish.

The fish is one hungry fish as I ran out of time and was unable to do the mouth :)

Not using Rhino this time around. Softimage only. Standard run-o-the-mill screenshot from within XSI.

*Hats off to you UV masters out there*

Orkron
14-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Welcome back Orkron. Did you escape from the Mad Scientist's Labs or were you let free - are you Orkron or one of Marty's inventions pretending to be you.

:smug: D
Thanks for the welcome, and it's me, oh ya!
Nice fish btw.

Design
14-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Mimi ive always had a thing for piranah.s nice modelling great teeth and texture..
Dele Cant wait to see yours.
AD ManVery nice fish man
Diabolos Great Model & Render.
AdamosLike Always great work
WinterLord Beautiful Model Man. and good render.
OmegaN Appreciate the bother and thanx for the feed back.

-R3D-
14-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Heya guys, great models so far. Keep them Coming

A couple of comments first:

@ OmegaN: Love your 1st entry, Good job.

@ Design: Cool Shark, Looks good.

@ PKT: Good model, Excellent Texture.

@ v@la: Nice 1st post, Nice textures and clean model, well done and welcome.

@ Garner: Great model, Perfect Render.

@ VegaMan: Nice piranha, Good Render.

@ TheWinterLord: Great swordfish man, I like the render too.

@ adamos: Nice and realistic gold fish, well done.

@ wdl & THX Superman: Nice entries guys and good renders.

__________________________________________________ ________

This is the first time I've attempted modelling in organic style, :wall: I don't think its my favourite type of modelling. :D

Anyway heres my 1st attempt, I might do another. :D

Design
14-10-2005, 08:28 AM
R3D great work, wow it is so perfect and nice. aiming for another first page post arent you? lol

Aioria
14-10-2005, 09:35 AM
my second entry ... wow everyone makes such a great modells :eek:

Covax
14-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi!

I have question. I have tried create fish yesterday but my skills didn't let me finish it in time.

So, can I try create it from the beginning (and it is allowed by rules) or must start thinking on new form and implement it in 60 mins?

For shaver contest I was creating each design once in 60 mins, but organic is harder ;)

Aioria
14-10-2005, 12:00 PM
it happend to me when i started competing here, search a photo of a fish u like, and try to mentalice how are u going to do it, before u even start ... so when you are doing it'll run smooh, also don try hard models, try something wich shape is easy to modell

Garner
14-10-2005, 12:27 PM
@ V@la = superb scene, the bend really gives it some character.

@ OmegaN = thanks although some of that is from the image i used for the texture, i didnt have to add much specualrity to get a watery feel

@ mimi01 = kewl piranha great modelling as always

@ Dele = thanks it helped finding a good refrence image

@ AD-Max = nice scene very dark and great textures

@ Winter Lord = thankyou, just wishing i would have put it in a scene now LOL. maybe a bowl or something

@ adamos = my new fav for sure, i just love it

@ wdl = Nice render scene, a bit too blue i think but nice to look at, makes me remeber my diving trip to Egypt

@ R3D = Superb and nice bumb mapping, and thanx for the comment like i say a good refrence image does work wonders

@ Aioria = Nice model and good scene

great work fomr everyone again already and so early in the compettion. now what to do next????

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 12:38 PM
-R3D- Thanx for the commentss, ur scene is perfect.
Design Thank you, I owe you something for being able to make that render.
Garner Yeh like you said, if you would put that in a bowl that would look really cool.

Renz
14-10-2005, 12:40 PM
wow.. what can I say about these speed challenges? they are really becoming tougher ... week after week.. truly amazing are some models & renders .. Texture too
This here is not an entry. cus I have used Maya's power full paint Effects tool to create this model.. cus nobody cared for the poor slow Star Fish..
Had been busy lately.. will try contributing at least one model this week .
GOOD LUCK every one. [Good Luck judges too.. cus they need it.. lot of work for them .. ]

hammering3D
14-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Covax - U can start over the same model how many time U wish, till U get it in 60 min.

In fact, now I model a fish in 60 min, but I' not posting it becasue I wish to start it over and to make more details in 60 min, cause second time or tird time U allways get better results in a short time.

So redo it till U are please with the result and U made it in 60 min.

Antievo-3DT
14-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I made this yesterday, but used way to much time on the model.
This is the first organic model I have ever Unwraped/Textured btw...
I will make another (valid) entry later this week.

Doggie2k
14-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys

Well this is my first speed challenge model ever but I had alot of fun doing it, this is a clown fish :)

Fish was Modeled in 50 mins but I did spend a little time with textures and the scene

Hope you like it

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Doggie2k hey welcome to the speed challenges, you have to put what software you used to model it.

great i see u edited it, or did I just miss it the information before... ?

MainlineX
14-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Heya peeps :)

Some really awesome looking fish in here. Nice job guys :)
Here is my contribution, the yellowfin tuna.

Doggie2k
14-10-2005, 02:19 PM
thanks winterlord, forgot to put that :P

hammering3D
14-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Hello ppl, I give little coment to all off U that post till now, but I hope I'm not ofended U, cause I try to give more constructive critics, not only to say to all "great model", and for now all my coments will be with critics, beacause only in this way we all learn, if we recive truly coments. Hope U will not hate me for now, and If I critic U'r model dose't meen that I model better, or something, it's just my opinion, and remember that I'm the guy that used to have in the signature "sorry for my bad model's". And now even if I critic so many models, I myself model a verry bad one, and try to remodel it and folow my own advices that I will give U next, and I know is hard and I don't know if I make it.
So REMEMBER if I critic U'r model dosen't meen that I can do it better.

Dark_Sword - U'r first model, I think U shood delete it or state it like an non entry, to keep U save from beeing DQ
OmegaN - U'r first entry looking nice, simple and with that texture look so real.
TheWinterLord - U'r first entry look funny, specialy for u'r first fish is good.
Aioria - funny litle one :D,I see U were so happy of it and post it, but I think if U model it over again one or two time's U manage to make the mouth and more details and it will look more nicer.
Design - scary thing U got there, it look nice, to bad U did't have the time to make that scary teeth.
xcessi - that fish look so happy :), to bad U not use u'r all full 60 min to make more details, and to make the fins more tiner cause I think in reality are more tiner than that.
PKT - nice fish, and nice ideea to use loft for the base. And with the texture give a real sensation.
qais - the image look nice, but again I think the back fin shood tiner, and in the rest 60 min U cood add more details on that.
v@la - welcome to the forum, look nice with the texture, but beeing u'r first post, I tell U that the teture don't count, and they judge the model, so In the future is nice to try make all the details from the mesh and not from the texture.
MightyPlatypus - I like it, U give some details to the fish,the fins are tiner, and with the texture look nice.
Garner - this are nice details and nice body shape and all modeled, good work, and with that texture U make a great entry.
Yedan - good start, I think If U'll do it again one or two time will mange to make the mouth and other details in 60min
sematic - like U said really simple, can't wait to se one more complex from U.
mimi01 - nice detailed model, and so nice that U mange to model the teeth make him more scary.
VegaMan - nice model, U mange the shape well a litle more details to the fins, and it's a verry good model. And with that texture and all scene render U make a verry real scarry senation.
AD-Max - nice start,but U have 30 minutes left to make all that details from mesh and not from texture.
Makonde - the base shape is nice, and like so many U have some minutes left (17min) to make more details to the fish.
TheWinterLord - In u'r second entry U mange more details, and a better shape, so keep working ;P
Diabolos - hehe nice fish, and nice that U model all the details, and a good chose of the background.
adamos - U'r model is great, u mange all the details from mesh, and U even make the organic imperfections the bump and all from the mesh, good work. And with that teture and render is so perfect.
wdl - U gave to u'r model a nice shape and preaty much details, and togeder with the texture, and render it look real
Tyson - Welcome to the forum, u'r fish is so perfect, u model fins details, head details, I like it so much, and only in 45 min, But MAN go quick back and delet the last iamge that U post it, U just transform U'r post from a LEGAL ONE in an not leagal post, U shood have only one image per entry, (Ur second image is U'r render ?, if YES U can edit u'r image with the wire and clay render, and add there the render fish,u ahve plenty of room in the right part of the image but don't make the image bigher that 800X600 rez, and not delete the information about software u use and tie U spent. And state in the
reson for editing, the reason that U add a render version of the fish and U not alter the MODEL. Plss do it, is a nice entry, u'r entry is on page 6 if U not remeber.
THX Superman - nice start, and look nice with the textures, but U haave 25 min left to make more details to the mesh.
DT_art - funny one, I don't know if it's a fish lol ;P, but i think so.
Nehumanuscrede - nice start, and like U said to bad U did't have time for the mouth.
-R3D- - Look nice for U'r first attempt to organic style, and U done it verry nice, U have a good shape, and U start puting nice details on the fins and mouth, to bad U did't have time to work more to the head.
Aioria - u'r second image look much better, U mange to model alot of details there, good work, and keep working ;P is better and better.
Renz - nice composition, I don't know nothing about Maya's power full paint Effects but sound interesting ;P, and wow U'r wire look so dens and I think because of that tehnik.
Antievo - nice doing in the first Unwraped organic model, and U start the shape nice, keep practice, and U'll be amazed how U'll mange to do it in 60 min with alot of details. (I keep trying that right now ;P)
Doggie2k - heheh U Find Nemo ;P, the model shape and with texture look nice and funny, It will be great if U manage to model all the fins details and not doing them only with texture's
MainlineX - model look nice, but from the small and smoot wire, I can't see wath is modeled and wath is texture.

Diabolos
14-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Maya 7
Maya Mental Ray (HDRi)
60 min

:smug: OmegaN, Design, Orkron, and Hammering3D - thank you for the comments.

-R3D-
14-10-2005, 03:45 PM
@ Design: Thanks man. Well I'd be surprised if I got homepage twice in a row. lol :D

@ Garner: Thanks, I done a big search for reference images, Good Hi-Res images are hard to come by that are from side on. :)

@ TheWinterLord: Thanks, but i wouldn't say perfect, lol

@ hammering3D: Cheers, I didn't do too bad for my 1st organic. :)

Tyson
14-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for giving me the heads-up regarding that, hammering3D.
I have indeed edited my post since then.
Thanks for the compliments; Most people do not recognize the insanely fast workflow of Anim8or. You should really download and give it a whirl.
-Tyson

hammering3D
14-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Tyson - yes, glad to see that U edit u'r entry, now U have a perfect valid entry, and a great model, nice details and clear wire, and more than that, u'r render is so real, I first thing that is u'r referance image, that way I ask U if is u'r render :D, I did't was shure ;P

v@la
14-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Hello and thanx for all the nice comments. Makes me wanna do more :D

I was just trying 2 make a life like scene. I didnt know that i was just the details in the mesh that was important. But my next mod. wil be more detailed.

(perhaps its a good thing 2 let the overall feel, have a say?)
(isnt that how it works in the real world?)

Lots of great work out there, and its all great fun 2 watch.
Keep up the exelent work.

hammering3D
14-10-2005, 04:58 PM
v@la - yes, ofcorse is nice to make a nice texture, and to make a real life scend and render, specialy if U'll use that in u'r portofoliu is nice to have a real looking image, But because that is not in the time limit, do that on a nice detailed mesh, because the mesh and not the texture is cont in judging, and the scene si for the rest off people to see nice image.
I don't want to upset U, just want to tell U that if U want to win, U must pay more atention on meshh details.

syQ
14-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone... guess its my turn to post a picture... here is my entry:

Whoops... forgot to post texture time... 15 minutes...

Its a Blowfish, or balloon fish.. or what U wanna call it...

Feel free to comment ;P

Yedan
14-10-2005, 06:27 PM
After not being very happy with my first i couldnt let it drop till i had one i liked, so here it is my attempt at a discus fish.

Garner
14-10-2005, 06:33 PM
@ Yedan = looks great, nice model and superb scene too

Renz
14-10-2005, 06:36 PM
HERE (http://fish-view.imr.no/files/thumbnails.php) is one that I found!
( Update)Gold Fish Line Art (http://www.goldfishpages.com/new_page_561111.htm)
Hope it helps some one & am not too late..

Lord_seth
14-10-2005, 07:03 PM
yeah babe!!

i had time to model early this week! but i guess there are too many posts already eh :)

hope you are all ok guys!

I apologize for my bad bad model but i never did had a thing in organic modeling,tried some year :hmm:

ago a few times but i guess its hard to see that you made a human head like an allien lol :o

so my model for this week is um ...a gigantic pufferfish,only its not alive but actually how do you

say it in english ,stuffed? and you could call it art coz you put it in your house(some piece of art huh?) .Anyway look the pic and you will understand :))

*i hope that is ok with the rules of the competition that is not alive anymore ok ? ;P

messed a little with the size of things but i really dont have time to make something more serious - good

Software : 3d studio max 6 / maxwell
Modeling : 42min
Texture /Light : 10 min
render : 1h (about)

p.s : thanks to the ppl that comment my last post in shave contest and in general thanks ppl for

giving me power to find time to model :)

p.s2 : to the 3dtotal stuff idea - the winner can choose the next subject ...what you think sirs?

and some comments please :

- OmegaN : wow man the best :)))

- design : really nice atmoshpere,and the model rocks!

- xcessi : too bad you didnt texture it man i would like to see it :)

- PKT : lol your great man :))

- gais : nice color and model although the smoothness is strange :)
-v@la : wow!! one of the best thump up!!

- MightyPlatypus : hahaha love ur avatar!!great textures man and model iam jealous :)

- Garner : just when you say you cant see better model,hereee comes garner!

- vegaMan : nice one m8!

- AD-Max : wow!looks like it was render with flashlight effect lights!really nice texture and render

just beatifull

- Diabolos : great one !looks like fish from a game i think

- Adamos : wow nice man :))

- R3D : i hope the put you on the front page :)

ok i continue in general coz i have lots of comments : guys you rock ..i hope someday i find my way

through even simple model techiques...coz i model about too much time to make things correct

..oh well

Have fun all thats the most important!

xcessi
14-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Great designs and models so far...Amazing textures!!!
and it's only Friday... cant wait to see what the weekend will bring..

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for Urwap UVW?

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey i made a third entry, i made an opacity map and everything for it, hope you like it.

after almost finishing modeling the fish shape, i must have pressed a button combination so now i can move stuff lol. (can anyone fix this) the combination is probably Ctrl or shift something and one more button that the left hand can reach. (i can move stuff but its really hard)

anyway i modeled this fish called Satanoperca cf. leucosticta "Speckle-Back" so now u probably know something u didnt know before. lol (:

comments are apreciated.

-R3D-
14-10-2005, 08:26 PM
@ Lord_seth: Well thanks man, It would be nice, but there's so many good entries to choose from to put on the front page..

PKT
14-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Thank you very much guys!, it really makes me exited and want to model more, hehe
Very well made entries from everybody this week, I really like AD-Max and Yedan's entries very much.

jazzik
14-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone....This is my first reply.

I like this page....and all pictures here:)
And so I decided to try it too....here is my attempt...

Justo
14-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey guys
Havnt been around lately, very busy. Great challenge with some amazing entries!!!
Seems lilke you were all hiding fish textures on your pc's!!! Good job, I will try to get one in!

Radulan
14-10-2005, 09:19 PM
this fish was done with no reference. and the texture is "Handpainted"
Though I'm still getting used to using the Gimp for more than just cut and paste.

Agamemnwn
14-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Some great entries this week. Organics is not my strong point. but i am getting better ( i think ) this is my first . A trout . after i found a reference of it on the internet and made my textures (color, bump, transparency, specular, reflectivity) i modelled it in maya after i thought first about how to modell it . (this really help). The trout was modelled in the time limit. The wood carved enviroment was modelled after. c&c always welcome :D

andoy
14-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi all,
Got this one done today and how i wish i had bodypaint for C4D, it would certainly make life easier. I could not find a decent high res picture so i had to make do with what i had for a texture. I used a camera projection of the side view which was then baked as a texture and i tried to get rid of the stretching in Photoshop.
Nothing special compared to some work on show already..

(Tincatinca) or Tench as it is more commonly known.
Modelled in C4D in 60 minutes
Textured in around 2 hours
rendered in the time it took for a cigarette..

Radulan
14-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I've done some fish before, but they took much longer than an hour. I was still learning things...For realism textures count. Remember the transparency of the fins really helps. Also the specularity.

as far a the modeling goes, Most fish ar bilateral so onec you get one half it can be mirrored. Also the pectorial, dorsal, and anal fins can often be just one plane thick.

macghost
14-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi guys,i wanted to be one of the first to post his model but couldn't because i'm still looking for some textures to use will here's the wireframe of the model(don't forget i'm still learning 3d). :hurt:

Taurus Anurag
14-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi,
It's my turn to submit my entry.
this is rendered with default scanline renderer. it took 05-06 sec.
rest every detail is in the image.
one more thing, I think it's name is EIl.

-R3D-
14-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Heya Guys, Keep up the great modeling, It's top notch this week.

Anyway, Today has been a very fishy day for me :) Why?
Well I went shopping this morning and decided to get some Smoked Haddock for my Dinner (Which Im thoroughly enjoying at this moment) And, I also got some very tasty ice cream which is called.... Yep you got it, "Phish Food" Oh and Iv made my second entry lol :D Hope you like it:

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 11:18 PM
-R3D- I like what you did with the side fens of ur fish. opacity map?

lol during the modeling of my last model, i messed up... :ugh:
the screen below, will further explain the problem,

Moving things in MAX have become much more difficult and Im sure some of you guys can help me out. what do I do to make it go back to normal?

thanx for all the help!
(this is not an entry)

Gamma12
14-10-2005, 11:26 PM
You probably mean you've disabled the movement gizmo... Try pressing X. I think that should make it active again.

-R3D-
14-10-2005, 11:27 PM
@ TheWinterLord: Cheers, Yea for that fin I used the same map in both the transparent channel and Alpha channel, I personaly think it comes out better with both :), Sorry I cant help out with MAX, I only know Cinema 4D and a bit of Rhino.

TheWinterLord
14-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Man thats why I love this place! just press "X" see if that works...

thank you Gamma12!!!! It Worked, thanx!

-R3D- I see ty.

Diabolos
14-10-2005, 11:35 PM
- Diabolos : great one !looks like fish from a game i think

Thank you Lord_seth - good eye, I used a 2d sketch a kind of game art portfolio, but I am not sure which game.

D,

Design
15-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Lord_Seth thanks man Appreciate it.
Andoy i think it turned out pretty fine. i like it.
Yedan pretty realistic, nice work

Brodix
15-10-2005, 12:18 AM
wow great job everyone. I just may have to pretend im too busy this week. Models are way to good for me. But I will just see what my busy schedule allows this week. ;p

v@la
15-10-2005, 12:53 AM
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY!
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY!
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY!

Hi there.. Again...

This time its a different approach. Hope this is accepted?..

Well, here are the details.

Model:47min
texture:50min
rendre:5min

edit poly and HDRI

Hammering 3D - U did not upset me dude. Dont worry. Thanks for the crits :p

adamos
15-10-2005, 12:57 AM
First of all dolphins are not fish.

andoy
15-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Design: Thanks, Hopefully i will have time for a few more entries this week.

Lord_seth
15-10-2005, 01:43 AM
v@la rules are that they want organic man sorry :(

but its great model and in one hour yeah its very cool :)

maybe think to put them skin material and doing that shape above sea in a jump ?that will do the job :)

v@la
15-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Ok.. Sorry for posting the wrong thing!..
I did forget that part of the rules. If admin wants 2 delete the post, go ahead ;)

Thanks for the reply

Yedan
15-10-2005, 03:07 AM
good models agian this week, the quality here just keeps going up and up,

@ Lord seth, liked ya puffa fish, nice clean model,

@ Jazzick, Nice model, loved the scene

@ Radulan, Nice model, loved ya texture

@ Agememnwn, Good work, nice scene loved the tank idea

@ andoy, Wow loved that tench, loverly details on the model

@ macghost, Nice looking wire, looking forward to seeing a render

@ R3d, good work as usual, love your models.

fastrak
15-10-2005, 03:08 AM
Radulan:
Nice comments on the textures needed. I'm sure many, including myself, have found that to be very useful information. Good Job and thanks for sharing.

V@la:
True, your second post does not qualify because it's not organic, but I do not wish to delete it. If you would be so kind as to edit the post and list it as a non-entry, that would be great. It is very acceptable to show the modeling you did. Just can't be an entry, however....sorry. Well done, all the same.

fastrak
15-10-2005, 03:22 AM
Where did you guys get the textures for the fish!?!?

Hey, it's your Birthday!
Have a great 17th!

Happy Birthday, DestroythenseeK!

-R3D-
15-10-2005, 04:21 AM
@ Yedan: Thanks, Im really starting to enjoy these speed modelling challenges now. Im learning a lot about what i can achieve if I put my mind to it. And Im Surprising myself in the process, lol :)

Happy Birthday Destroythenseek :)Have a good One:)

messiah khan
15-10-2005, 04:41 AM
What excellent work so far. I have to say, I do enjoy these organic challenges. Anyway, my entry this week is:

Design
15-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Ok this is my second entry but not an official Entry since i modeled it in more than 60 Minutes. Guys after 6 attepmts i manged to get it right. and i think the result is really cool. i tried to get it in 60 minutes. but i couldnt.

And trust me on this, seahorse is not a thing to be done in 60 minutes im not even sure if it classify as a fish but i found it in a fish list.

well SPLine modelling.no texture because i wanted to show how cool it looks.and this is a modeling challenge after all.

Modelling 3D Max 7 3:12 minutes
Rendering 10 minutes.

Hope you guys like it, comments are welcomed.

Design
15-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Happy birthday DestroythenseeK

TheWinterLord
15-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Happy birthday DestroythenseeK

messiah khan Good job on the top part of your fins, looking good.
Design NIce Sea Horse!

Radulan
15-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Design: I do believe that sea horses are fish.

Fastrak: thanks, I was worried a bit after I posted it, this is a modeling challenge afterall. If you judged the textures too then it would be much more fitting.

Yedan: Thanks. Maybe my next one will be from a photo texture...

andoy
15-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Yedan:Thanks, I like this fish as it is one of my favourites to catch, Hard to find and a strong fighter.

v@la
15-10-2005, 01:05 PM
@ - fastrak-3DT

Tank u.
I have edited the post.

I might show up with a second organic fish :p

SubCroC
15-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Design
very good model.why not texture?

here is my fish, "extrude along spline" worked well ,multipled spline(that r used for guiding poly face to extrude along and they r yellow splines in render) among the extension parts,
but eyes r made out of time, i tried glow effect on eyes a bit.

3dsmax7
modelling:60 min.
texture:45 min.
render:10 min.

Yedan
15-10-2005, 03:15 PM
@andoy, me too cant beat a nice big tench for putting up a fight, althought carp are my main species now.

andoy
15-10-2005, 03:25 PM
@andoy, me too cant beat a nice big tench for putting up a fight, althought carp are my main species now.

http://www.carpecarpio.com/exoticfishpictures.html ... check out the huge Carp you can catch in Thailand, We used to use sea fishing tackle there cos normal tackle is just not up to the job..

URs3D.net
15-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I saw no one yet modelling a clown fish...(Nemo) so I did.
Hope u like him, please give some comments

Information is on the pic

Design
15-10-2005, 04:43 PM
SubCroc Very nice model man pretty wicked, the best render is the one in the rigth corner. it looks pretty nice.

Lord_seth
15-10-2005, 05:00 PM
ok when you ppl know its someone birthday ? lol however thats cool to be so nice :)

Happy Happy birthday man DestroythenseeK :wave:

yedan thanks although its not so clean :)) but was a nice exercise

design (2nd maybe entry) : really nice skill modelling and also i always wanted to see um..dont know how you call it in english in greek its "ippokampos" and also i find it very nice that you tried many times but keep going until you got the right result :) we will see it with texture yes ?

subcroc : nice one man the head is awesome

Dr-BoF : nice design although i cant see it well,maybe a more clean bright render ?

Also is Nehumanuscrede ok ?? i mean with the strom and all ..:( i hope he is fine

UrsiNMC : someone else got to you man first :))) still very nice man :))

correct me if you have post ,but where are my fav ppl posting some fish ? hammering3D ??otacon ??artecnl ??justo ??
come on man i cant wait to see your models :)

wdl
15-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Design: Nice. I was thinking of doing a seahorse myself.... but I decided not too becuase I wasn't sure if it would be accepted as a fish. So, could a moderator tell me if its ok or not? To model it with the amount of detail Design put in, and stay under 60 minutes would be a challenge, but I was thinking of doing a less detailed version... to see how far i would get in 60 minutes.

Oh, and I see a lot of very very dark renders this week... why? I'm not a judge, so I don't care, but if you want people to give you some feeedback, you might want to post brighter renders. Its hard to see the details (if any ;) )

Design
15-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Lord_Seth Thank you man for your opinion. as for the texture well maybe later on i will, but not now for sure. i use 13 hours of my quality time on the weekend. so maybe later.
Wdl Appreciate it buddy.and like i said i saw the seahorse in fishes list.

Moderators. is the Octupous a fish?

sugararsenic
15-10-2005, 06:03 PM
here's my fighting fish

SubCroC
15-10-2005, 06:35 PM
SubCroc Very nice model man pretty wicked, the best render is the one in the rigth corner. it looks pretty nice.

aye,the render in right corner took 9,5 hours with Vray,but it does not show the whole body completely, so i rendered the others, each one in 10 min.
imo there is no much difference btw them,it was not neccesary to render 9 hours :xx:

Lord_Seth
thank u for comment.

wdl
15-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Here's another one. More detailed then the first I made. But this one took me the full hour.

Modelling time: 60 minutes
Software: 3D studio max 7

(shouldn't have used so much color... becuase of that I had to save the jpg in 30 % quality, so the quality of the image below is quit bad.)

Design
15-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Wdl Very nice man, and still the resolution is good, anyway very nice texutring.

Agamemnwn
15-10-2005, 11:05 PM
great models this week as well. Ok I made a Coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae Smith, 1939) I modelled it within the time limit the second time i tried it :D . I wanted to make it with as many of the characteristics that it has so i could put the texture on afterwards and it would look good.
Found the texture looking for a reference on the internet and after i fixed my maps i made used a desaturated version of the color map as a reference in maya to make the model.c&c always welcome

MAFIA
15-10-2005, 11:58 PM
wow very great models , I am so happy with this forum.
here is my model I tried to give it a cartoon look character but this is the best I can do,
I used G2 shader and its so confusing to get the right shader you want.

andoy
16-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Agamemnwn:excellent choice, i have been searching for references for a coelacanth myself, I think you did it justice with your model. nicely done.

spike3d
16-10-2005, 12:55 AM
And here is my fish.
Modeling: 60 minutes
Texturing: 10 minutes
Software: 3ds max 7

Design
16-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Agamemnwn great modeling. very nice details and the render is cool too.

TheWinterLord
16-10-2005, 01:13 AM
SubCroC that fish sure looks evil, really cool, i like ur avatar.
Agamemnwn Wicked sick! didnt miss a single detail there that I can think of, the fins are so nicely done!

spike3d and MAFIA U guys both catched the cartoony look, bot in seperate ways, I like the smiles of each fish hehe. Mafia the blue on really looks like its asking for something... :)

andoy
16-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Tried to get the fins a little more realistic this time , but i ran out of time and i feel there is still a lot of tidying up to do.

Anyhow this is my attempt at a Gadus Morhua or Atlantic Cod.
Very delicious fish done in Batter with a bag of Chips.... and loads of salt n vinegar. ( all wrapped up in newspaper!! )
Modelled in Cinema 4D in 60 minutes
Textured by using a camera mapped side view, then baking the texture and then trying to paint out the stretching in Photoshop, then re-apply the texture in a new material with uvw mapping.
Rendered in 4 minutes 32 seconds.

Design
16-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Andoy I love that fish. i eat it all the time. great model and render, did you use smooth by group??

MAFIA
16-10-2005, 02:13 AM
thanks :smug: TheWinterLord ,, iam just a beginner and i am still have to learn many things and be a really 3d artist like you and the other guys in the forum.

Agamemnwn
16-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Agamemnwn:excellent choice, i have been searching for references for a coelacanth myself, I think you did it justice with your model. nicely done.

Thanks andoy . I tried my best as always. You are making excellent models yourself. :D
Agamemnwn great modeling. very nice details and the render is cool too.

Thanks Design for the kind words

Agamemnwn Wicked sick! didnt miss a single detail there that I can think of, the fins are so nicely done!

more c&c to come :D keep modelling :D A little help on the fins for everyone.
I use curves the base with low number of cvs and the top with many. Then i use this curves to make a loft and then i move some of the cvs on the top curve to sumulate who the fins are. as i loft them the loft is NURBS to get the best amount of detail and then convert to polygons and extrude it to give it a little more depth . As for the gils just select the edges that define the gil and make a bevel delete the edges on the end that give triangles so u can have a smooth detail without pincing when u smooth the model afterwards.

Hope it helped :D

Orkron
16-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Hey guys, for anybody that's intersted, I just added 6 free models for download on Turbosquid, do whatever you like with them, they are free...Here's the link:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?FuseAction=ProcessSearch&intStartRow=1&istSearchKey=orkron&intMediaType=-1&Submit.x=57&Submit.y=9

adamos
16-10-2005, 03:02 AM
Not much but i like it any how.
Modeling time:56 min

syQ
16-10-2005, 04:44 AM
Hahaha ... I just love all the models... But I have a special thing about those cartoon looking models... especialy adamos' shark thingie... just love it ^^

Keep up the good work everyone..

-R3D-
16-10-2005, 06:09 AM
@ andoy: Nice Atlantic Cod there, Great model and texturing.

TheWinterLord
16-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Great entries everyone!

Here is a new entry of some big colorful fish, the scene is not included in the time limit. I was working harder on the lighning than the actuall fish because that aspect is something i need to improve in. :haha:
If someone have a tip for improving it, let me know, one thing i dont like is the dull colors, u can see on the small colorful render how much color it should have...

TheWinterLord
16-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Hey andoy, u live in Dubai, so do I! Really nice entry!

andoy
16-10-2005, 11:47 AM
-R3D-: Thanks
Design: Thanks, i don't use smooth by group no, Basically i modelled half the fish, used a symmetry modifier for the other half then dropped the whole mesh into a hypernurbs object.
TheWinterLord:Hi, I actual live in Ras Al Kaimah now, i moved over from Dubai a few months ago... less traffic here.

Design
16-10-2005, 02:04 PM
TheWinterLord Another nice entry buddy. nice modeling but the render is abit dark. still the model is cool.

TheWinterLord
16-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Design thanx, turn up ur screen brightness... hehe. Hey im actually having trouble with my screen because it changes the brightness depending on what I do, so what I see bright while rendering sumething, later on my same computer, it will be too dark. a little bit confusing? dont try to understand, I just have some minor problems with this...

Dr-BoF
16-10-2005, 05:26 PM
hi guys keep the good works up : )
the same model with a deffrant scene :dance:

Nehumanuscrede
16-10-2005, 08:46 PM
"Also is Nehumanuscrede ok ?? i mean with the strom and all .. i hope he is fine"

YUP !

Still alive :) Storm curved off *just* enough to the east of me to spare us. While I feel for the folks about 80 miles east, I'm elated it didn't come here :)
Thanks for the thought !!

I did one less than amazing version of a clown fish in the early pages, will try to do another one if I can. I picked up all the Digital Tutors training series on Softimage XSI and I've been messing with those most of the weekend now. I know most of what they try and show, but every now and then pick up something I didn't know or realize. Not half bad training material to be honest considering the extreme lack of it for Softimage as a whole.

Of course, this is CD package number one. There are four more sitting next to my monitor to go through covering everything from Mental Ray, particles, hard/soft bodies and the daunting render tree. Should keep me pretty busy for the next week at least. :)

I just saw what 3D-Max 8 is going to do for the texturing side of the house ( pelt mapping ) and my jaw nearly hit the floor. Softimage doesn't even have an unwrapper that I know of. . . so I *try* to use Deep UV. Still takes a lot of time to unwrap and get the mesh setup.

Anyhoo, enough of my rambling. See what I can do about getting another fish in here before the deadline :)

adamos
16-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Another one shark. More realistic but still whit some cartoon style. But this time 60min was not enought. But rules are rules and we must keep to them.
So here it is what i have made in 60 min.
Modeling time: 60 min
Software: max 6.0

James
16-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Yum ;P

fastrak
16-10-2005, 11:04 PM
hi guys keep the good works up : )
the same model with a deffrant scene :dance:

Dr-Bof:
Sorry, but this constitutes a double entry. Please make a choice of which one is the entry and delete the other. Thanks.

OmegaN
17-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Hello guys!

So many good models and renders! sry for not commenting now, will take a raid with that when I get the time :)

Heres my second model. Took a little more time modelling this time , soo many vertex in the fens to move that took most of the time =) Btw its a fish called sheapshead. Hope you like it.

TheWinterLord
17-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Nehumanuscrede Im happy to hear that werent affected as much as you could have been in a worser scenario, however I think things are pretty chaotic up there right now. :S Anyways good luck man!

OmegaN nice work, nice work with the materials especially on the side, the almost tranperant one. :)

adamos nice modeling, whats up with all the smiling sharks these days? :D

James Welcome to the forums, ur fish looks yummy (I have to eat something now..)!

adamos
17-10-2005, 12:58 AM
My god i`m fast or what? Next one from me this time sea horse. Still cartoon style. I thing i like it :)
Modeling Time:54 min
BTW Thx to syQ and to a WinterLord. Its nice to see that some one like my work :)

Diabolos
17-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Leedsichthys problematicus is the biggest fish known to science. At 22 meters (72 feet), it is almost twice as long as the whale shark, the biggest fish in the ocean today.

Maya 7
Maya Software Renderer (Caustics)
Maya Time: 30min

Diabolos
17-10-2005, 01:01 AM
My god i`m fast or what? Next one from me this time sea horse. Still cartoon style. I thing i like it :)
Modeling Time:54 min

nice entries adamos - right on track!

SubCroC
17-10-2005, 01:46 AM
adamos
very good cartoon textury and model.is this a he or she? ;P
the other sharky one is cool and dready.i think u used same water background for both,but matched well.

winterlord
a nice one ,5 hours render is a mess, it is worth maybe :roll:

omegan
very good model and how amazing texturing,professional.realistic render.

diabolos
great model .and caustics r nice.

james
welcome to forum.good one on table but not cooked :evil:

SubCroC
17-10-2005, 02:04 AM
nechumanuscrede
i think u'r livin a 3d software confusion,
i got softimage 5 and max8 demo versions from their hompages,i wanna comment some;
softimage has got a pirimitive character that can be variated in which shape u want,very easy way to model a character ,in 5 min. u can have ur character model(wat u prefer),this is very easy way to make a movie or kinda,polymodel environment and use syflex to wear ur char then animate ,the biped or skeleton rigging tools r easily matching on char,

but here i think this kinda art will not be applaused cuz there is no creativity.

3dsmax8 adds more tools and commands plus to older versions and there is not such a primitive char like in softimage.

but i prefer 3dsmax cuz i can use it very fast and addicted to interface of it,cannot leave this habit, this is like a marriage,after having some childs(models and works) it is impossible to divorce.
3dsmax is enough and more for me to do anything i want ,i don't think to use another software.

OmegaN
17-10-2005, 02:28 AM
adamos: you are very good at giving the models a cartoony character, nice

James: the poor fish is dead :/ good texture on the fish. A tip: the background is to blurry (or your fish is to sharp) so because of the contrast that effect is making the picture less trustworthy (or more 3d like, or make your fish and background look like 2 diffrent pictures). btw Welcome to the forum =)

fastrak-3DT: i miss your and martys models :(

Diabolos: hehe the wire picture reminds me of those dolls you pull over your hand :D nice render =)

SubCroC: thx for the comment =) btw nice new avatar.

TheWinterLord: thanks! btw if someone is intrested you can help me decide how my new sword should look like in my wip thread =)

Phew will continue to comment the other pages tomorrow or something =)

Agamemnwn
17-10-2005, 03:58 AM
fastrak-3DT: i miss your and martys models

so true. Most of all i miss fastrak's constructive critisism :ugh:

Aogor
17-10-2005, 05:19 AM
If I were able to model it as it is, it would be very nice. But I didn't have many reference of the fish. Just a picture of its face. The one I used for texturing. But now I've learnt a bit more about texturing. How to use methods such as planar, cylindrical to cut and arrange uvs. And also how to use UV snapshot to generate a template image to help you create the texture in photoshop.

Orkron
17-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Diabolos hehe, that reminds me of a playground whale in a local park.
http://orkron.com/photog/photog_sculpture02.jpg

peous
17-10-2005, 06:03 AM
First submit ever... done under Maya. What do you think ok it ?
quite different of all the work that has been done...

stevew
17-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Hello All! Great work this week by everyone...I think the puffer fish is the fish of choice by many people! I decided to do a cartoon version of my old green spotted puffer (rest his soul) :cry:

Anyhow, enjoy and here are the stats.
Model Time: 38 minutes
Software Used: 3dsMax 7
Texture Time: 55 minutes
Render Time: 2 minutes 32 seconds

Nehumanuscrede
17-10-2005, 07:29 AM
"softimage has got a pirimitive character that can be variated in which shape u want,very easy way to model a character ,in 5 min. u can have ur character model(wat u prefer),this is very easy way to make a movie or kinda,polymodel environment and use syflex to wear ur char then animate ,the biped or skeleton rigging tools r easily matching on char,"

Subcroc-

You are correct. XSI has a few models that can be loaded in, modified, rigged and whatnot fairly quickly. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer to build things from the ground up, thus I don't ever utilize their man / woman models. Now the rigs and or the skeletons ARE useful if you don't want to build a humanoid rig from scratch.

I personally have never used 3D-Studio Max or any of it's previous iterations. I have licenses for: Lightwave 3D v7.5, Rhinocerous v3.0 and now Softimage XSI v4.2 ( with 5.0 somewhere in shipping limbo ) and have liked all of them. Though the more I use XSI, the more I like it. It's all a matter of what package suits you personally I guess. All of em are capable of some amazing work in the right hands ( and a lot of em are here in the forums ), just so happens my hands still need a lot of practice to reach that potential :)

Over the years I have come to realize that the tools don't make the artist. They only make them more efficient.

My only complaint about XSI is the lack of training material out there. Since the established user base isn't nearly the size that Max or Lightwave or even Maya enjoys, the training material suffers a bit, but it's slowly getting there.

Now tonight, I reached a state of elation when I discovered the time saving power of using unique UV's in conjunction with Deep Paint 3D. Built a model ( in my case I was still experimenting with my less than amazing clownfish model around page five ) assigned it a unique UV map and exported it to Deep Paint 3D. Pick up the Wacom tablet, jumped into projection paint mode and started painting. Didn't move a single point around on the UV map.

*Keep in mind I spent nearly 2-3 hours pushing points around in Deep UV earlier in the week in an attempt to do the same thing which was putting color on the aforementioned clownfish model*

I was sitting here the whole time thinking, nah. . . surely this isn't gonna work. It's NOT gonna be this easy. When I connected the render tree together in XSI and the texture I slapped together rendered on the fish model the way it was supposed to, I nearly fell out of my chair. :)

I may go back and add some color to the mouthless fish of mine just to see if I can :)

Lord_seth
17-10-2005, 11:55 AM
so nice entrys :)

i think the contest should be for cartoon fishes,i wonder what i could make :)

- Nehumanuscrede : so nice to see your ok man :)

- Orkron : from your free 3d models i really like the telephone man :)

- Adamos : the seahorse is beatifull!

Also i checked out 3d studio max 8 today ,the cover is like wow!! but i hate they put things that should be from 3d studio max 5 version already.

anyway goodmorning all!

Orkron
17-10-2005, 12:29 PM
- Orkron : from your free 3d models i really like the telephone man :)

:D I'm glad you like it! Feel free to rate it if you DL'd it!

Diabolos
17-10-2005, 12:46 PM
SubCroC - Thank you - as already mentioned "nice avatar".

OmegaN - After looking at it you're right, I had to laugh, but we have to amputate the last 1/3 of its body to make room for a hand :smug:

Orkron - Cool photo reference - have to add that to my stock photo library - if I may? But it's really a fish! :roll:

D,

Dr-BoF
17-10-2005, 02:05 PM
i delete it allready :)

peous
17-10-2005, 05:50 PM
stevew your fish is so cool...
well for submission#2 i tried something else, but still cartoon style

Vhector
17-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Adamos youre on roll dude, keep them comming.

Edit: flipped the texture. Thanx to Arius
Question, this is my first try with Zbrush. When I import it into max, how can I put the texture from zbrush correct on the model, it is shifted or something of that kind?
modeled in zbrush: 45min
texturing: zbrush an ps: tolong
rendered in max with mental ray

OmegaN
17-10-2005, 07:18 PM
wdl: nice fish. good that you made the fish in a turquoise colortone to fit the background =) second: really nice fish. looks good with the texture too, realistic.

Tyson: nice model and texture

THX Superman: nice, try to make the fishes that goes futher from camera a more turquiose color to simulate the density of water =) and use full size 800x600 in your pictures. In photoshop you can "save to web" and optimize to filesize if you have trouble getting 100kb :)

DT_art: nice eel. is it electric? =)

Nehumanuscrede: nice, to bad you didnt get the uvs working the way you wanted.

-R3D-: nice texturing =)

Aioria: nice modelling on the fish.

Doggie2k: nice fish =) but it looks sad it should make a joke ! :D

MainlineX: think you got a little lowres texture on your fish.

Diabolos: colorfull fish you got there =)

syQ: cool cartoony. But you have a seam in the middle, proabably because you are smoothing the model before the symmetry (or mirror obj).

Yedan: nice texture and model.

Lord_seth: thanks for the comment. hehe a diffrent entry (the blowfish).

TheWinterLord: nice model in 3rd entry. But I think the picture is very dark, cant see anything else than a silouette of a fish and looking in. Fourth entry: nice, good deapth in the picture.

jazzik: nice smile the fish got =)

Radulan: cool fish, he looks quite angry, did you upset him? :D

Agamemnwn: nice texturing on the fish. Nice idea with a aquarium tho it looks empty =) second: really nice modelling on this one, great job

andoy: nice model! second: nice modeling and texture, i miss a scene tho

-R3D-: nice fish good with the composition =)

Taurus Anurag: nice modelling on the eel

messiah khan: hmm where have I seen that fish before.. hmm.. :) you found same reference picture as me I can see =)

Design: really nice modelling on the non entry =) tobad it took more than 60min because it looks cool

SubCroC: wow cool scary fish you got going there! (the one in your avatar)

UrsiNMC: nice fish. A little bad resolution on your ground.

sugararsenic: its a little dark in front and lowres texture =)

MAFIA: cool fishes, they got character =)

spike3d: hehe funny entry

Dr-BoF: on your red fish in page 12 you lacks wireframe, modelling time, software

peous: hehe this is also a funny entry.

Vhector: nice fish, also a cartoony feeling.

its many cartoon style in this challenge =)

roach105
17-10-2005, 07:52 PM
enjoyed this weeks comp. I haven't nade a fish in a long while. Just want to send shout outs to some of the nice models.
Omegan
Garner
Diabolos
R3d
Messiah lehan
Design
Subcroc
Agamemnwan
Steven
and

Adamos, I have never seen so many enries by one person.

Anyways, here is mine

Eve
17-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi ,had saw lot of very nice model on this forum.&this is my first post,hope im not too late for this challenge. :lame:

Arius
17-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Adamos youre on roll dude, keep them comming.

Question, this is my first try with Zbrush. When I import it into max, how can I put the texture from zbrush correct on the model, it is shifted or something of that kind?

modeled in zbrush: 45min
texturing: zbrush an ps: tolong
rendered in max with mental ray

Flip either the U or the V inside zB2 before exporting the tool. I can't remember whether it is U or V. But thats the solution. Or of course, flip it in max.

Vhector
17-10-2005, 08:19 PM
k, thanx Arius

Ragatol
17-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Hello there, nice entries everyone.

This is my first entry ever here, and my 4th "beyond primitives" model. i spend too much time only experimenting with lights and shadows, so i don't have experience modeling.

I had problems with my texture (which is horrible). :wall:

Lord_seth
17-10-2005, 09:48 PM
welcome eve nice model there :)) and clean ..maybe to much specular but its cool!

welcome ragatol :) your model is just fine!but you know you had like 25min as well to improve it if you like :)

SubCroC
17-10-2005, 10:12 PM
SubCroC - Thank you - as already mentioned "nice avatar".

D,

likewise :)

[B]SubCroC: wow cool scary fish you got going there! (the one in your avatar)
=)

thank u for comment. :o

My only complaint about XSI is the lack of training material out there. Since the established user base isn't nearly the size that Max or Lightwave or even Maya enjoys, the training material suffers a bit, but it's slowly getting there.

here i wanna say that i got 4 dvd from one of my friends here,they r about training for xsi ; modelling, texturing, light&rendering, animating it is in flash kinda mode DVDs, lesson by lesson ,i suggest them.if a person studies them all i am sure the person will be a professional in xsi.

SubCroC
17-10-2005, 10:23 PM
aogor
a nice one.it is like an old wise fish that seemed to me will tell his stories; how he escaped from hooks etc.:D

peous
dogfish is well funny lookin'.here i think u must haf a bloodline relation with turks, in turkish shark=dog fish. btw. welcome to forum.

ragatol
good work.welcome to forum.texturing is clear great.

stevew
a good cartoon work.and pretty.

Eve
very nice one.welcome to forum.U'll do great works like tihs after imo.the challenge is over on wednesdays.:)

roach150
shark is very well modelled,texturing is nice either.

Vhector
is that blood in the sharks mouth or is it lipstick?,i think it is lipsticked female shark.very funny idea.

AD-Max
17-10-2005, 11:06 PM
login my friends name just .. :o wow so many nice model since I've post my entry.. :eek: need to work on one more if i've time..

Aogor
17-10-2005, 11:10 PM
It's good to see your entry here, Ragatol. Good Texturing.
I think Diabolos' fantasy fish and subcroc's entry are good models for games. They could take part in an underwater stage from a realy nice game.
Adamos' ones are specialy good for animation. Their cartoonish look are very great. They seem realy professional models.

Orkron
17-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Orkron - Cool photo reference - have to add that to my stock photo library - if I may? But it's really a fish! :roll:

D,

Please do so! I'd be honored :)

roach105
17-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Saw a poster with a man fish for some concert over the weekend and decided to give it a try. I am not totally pleased with it but was running out of time so had to do what I could. Texture was something I just did a google search on.

MAFIA
18-10-2005, 01:00 AM
great models everyone, this is the second entry I did for this challenge, this one is better than the last one
everything done by lightwave

Arius
18-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Saw a poster with a man fish for some concert over the weekend and decided to give it a try. I am not totally pleased with it but was running out of time so had to do what I could. Texture was something I just did a google search on.

Nice, reminds of the mermaid "the cat" falls in love with in Red Dwarf. :haha:

peous
18-10-2005, 02:08 AM
this is the second entry I did for this challenge, this one is better than the last one everything done by lightwave
quite nice, but the glow looks strage ? is there some kind of radioactivity ? :D

peous
18-10-2005, 02:24 AM
roach105 like this, especially the spec around the eye
OmegaN thanks, but i didn't intended to do anything related with a dog, but with the bone it's true that it looks like this
MAFIA are your caustics real ?

i made this try to understand how caustics work, but its not easy... anyway, i like the look of the scene. the only problem is the sky -black- that reflects in the glass an so its ugly... i don't know how to do, if i set a brighter texture to my image based lightning shape, it burns my scene...

Leto
18-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Hi there,
here is my fish it is a wels. I tried texturing but i couldn't get it look right.
I like the model anyway so here it is.

Software used: Cinema 4D
modeling time: 60 min

Sorry, next time i will not forget to state every needed details

Nehumanuscrede
18-10-2005, 03:10 AM
"here i wanna say that i got 4 dvd from one of my friends here,they r about training for xsi ; modelling, texturing, light&rendering, animating it is in flash kinda mode DVDs, lesson by lesson ,i suggest them.if a person studies them all i am sure the person will be a professional in xsi."

I am currently going through the series I found from Digital Tutors. Approximately 20 hours of training material on XSI. Some of the initial basics were kinda dry, but once into the Mental Ray stuff, it became interesting quickly. It touched on areas that are tough to find such as caustics, HDRI lighting, how Final Gathering and Global Illumination works, Sub Surface Scattering, etc. etc. I haven't seen anything touch on the cloth and hair / fur engine yet, but I'm looking :) It really opened my eyes on just how powerful a package I have at my disposal if only I can ever master it.

I have found one more on XSI from Gnomon workshop that I will likely pick up as well since it covers the use of XSI and Deep Paint together. If anyone here knows of additional training DVD / CD's that cover Softimage please let me know. Can't get enough of em :)

Design
18-10-2005, 03:18 AM
SubCroc i got to admit, that image for your avatar is cool. when ever i look into the posts i always get to it and i hang there and check it out. there is something that keeps attracting me to it. its just perfect in my eyes.

GraphicDragon
18-10-2005, 03:54 AM
With all the underwater scenes in this challenge I thought I'd pass along the link to this free little goodie. It's a program that creates water surface caustics. It has lots of nice features and even saves out looping animations or an image sequence. The really cool thing is that you can make projectors (or light masks or whatever your software calls it) with the output. That way you can have animated water surface caustics on all your underwater scene objects without the high simulation and render times. Fun Stuff!

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~kand/caustics/

OmegaN
18-10-2005, 03:56 AM
roach105: nice shark model and texture =)

Eve: welcome to the forums and a nice first entry

Ragatol: nice texturing. Just that the highlights feels wrong, it got window specular instead of scale

MAFIA: cute one

peous: you forgot wire in your scene =) btw the black in your glass is because you dont have an environment for the glass to reflect. use a HDRI (theres alot of tutorials how out there) or make a simple scene. So the black in your glass is the reflection of the surrounding and in your case its black or dark green.

EDIT: removed my post so its no entry anymore since cartoons wasnt part of subject :o (if its OK to do that, otherwise tell me =) )

THX Superman
18-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Okay, here's my second try. I've been viewing these challenges for over a year but this topic really got me motivated. So hats off to mods. Still got two days till it ends, maybe I'll try another! Thanks for the comments on my last entry and great work from everyone!

Orkron
18-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Nice one THX Superman, looks real good.

MichaelM
18-10-2005, 10:19 AM
OK, I got around to doing something. I originally wanted to do a kindof real looking goldfish, but realized I couldn't texture that well, so I did this :)

Lighter
18-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, here's my entry for this week!

I wanted to get it all done sooner, but I've been quite busy.

If anyone saw my past entries, I'm one of the few Maya users on the site (well, compared to the 3DS users) but I've been considering switching to a different program... I downloaded the 3DS trial, and went through the tutorials, and thought I'd try this week's challenge in 3DS.

Modelling took juuuuuuuuuuust the right amount of time, but overall, it seemed to be a little bit faster to put things together in 3DS. Maybe my imagination. The body of the fish was modelled from splines and mirrored, the teeth are clones of three basic modified cone shapes, and the fins are simple geometry. I used transparency maps +to get the flowy shape of the fins. It's not cheating to do that! :D

Now, here's my fish. It's an Angler Fish, typically found in the Mariana Trench. No one else seems to have done this evil, evil fish, so I though it was up to me to take up the challenge. If someone else has made this fish, I might have missed it... :p

peous
18-10-2005, 12:33 PM
GraphicDragon Thanks it will increase greatly render times of underwater scenes !
OmegaN Thanks for the advices, you say if i put my scene in a box (for example), it should be ok ? Cause i still want to have a global illumination it gives a realistic look...
Lighter What about a big glow on your "light" ?
MichaelM I'd like to ask you if you used some special plug to render glass ?

Orkron
18-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Lighter, good idea switching to max...there's a distict possibility that autodesk may in time fade maya out of the equation alltogether since they aquired alias...then again maybe not - but very possible.

OmegaN
18-10-2005, 12:54 PM
peous: well you can put your scene in a box with inverted normals (normal modifier) but dont forget then to light up the parts of the box that isnt in your cameraview becuase if it dosnt have any light it will still be black. But best result for you with a glass would be imo to make a box around your scene (to speed up the GI calculations, because no photons gets away in infinity space then) and select properties for the box and uncheck "visible to reflection/refraction" (and you dont have to light up the box because it wont be visible to reflection refraction anyway). Then in the environment dialouge (hotkey 8), put a bitmap map and select a hdr image (goto orkons site or search the net for tutorials how to setup hdri, and theres a ton free hdr images to out there). Then you will have a nice looking glass =)

Lighter
18-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, Orkon. That is one of several reasons that I'm doing the switch.

I'm also going to give a shot to C4D, since I've heard such glorious things said of it, heh. Downloaded the trial tonight, so in the end, it'll be one of the two.

And peous, I was definetely having a little trouble figuring out how to fix that bright, bright light. I set the shader to self-illuminate, but is came out pretty strong. Changing the color of the self-illumination didn't do much at all, and just having the light source inside of it didn't get it glowing quite right either... Out of all my experimentation, the exaggerated glow as you see there now seemed to be the best trade-off, even if it *is* much too bright... :/

MichaelM
18-10-2005, 02:25 PM
peous. Nah I didn't use any special plugin for the glass. My glass is a standard maya phong material. The colour is almost black, transparancy is set to a very light grey. Tweaked the reflections and specular settings, turned refractions on under raytracing and tweaked the refractive index a bit. It was rendered with global illumination and caustics turned on.

peous
18-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Lighter glow is post rendering usually (environnement). i don't remember how to do this in max, maybe in "special effects" likned to a light... no, just set the blow buffer index of the object to "1" for example, and in environnement (key 8) setup some glow using this channel. maybe someone mose used to max can explain better (i use Maya actually)

Design
18-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Lighter You can get the Glow effect with Video Post rendering. if you want i can tell you how.

MAFIA
18-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by peous
quite nice, but the glow looks strage ? is there some kind of radioactivity ?
there is no glow and the the two fishes on the left and right sides of the image are separated renders, the blue color around the two fishes is the background and didn't erased it completely in PhotoShop. thanks

its not real caustics, its the two layers that are in the red rectangle
Click here to see the image (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29006492894.jpg&s=x2)

OmegaN: I like your idea

Vhector
18-10-2005, 09:07 PM
second entry: FishyWichy

modeled in Zbrush: 60min
texture: ps
rendered with mental ray in max

Lighter
18-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Mafia, Peous: Cool, thanks for the offer. I think I'll take you guys up on it. Ir'd definetely be nice to know how to pull that off in Max. I remember how in Maya, but it didn't work quite the same in Max. :p

MAFIA
18-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Vhector oooo wat a nice model and texture

MAFIA
18-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Lighter- stay on the program that you like working on it , and what your heart tells you is best for you, try to learn one program first and and improve your skills in it , after you learned that program,, go and try to learn another if you want to get more experience.
- and sorry if I said anything bad -

Kazha
19-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Banditfish

Modelling time : 50 min
Texturing time : 20 min
Lightning : 5 min
Render :0.32 min
Software : 3ds max 7

SubCroC
19-10-2005, 02:16 AM
SubCroc i got to admit, that image for your avatar is cool. when ever i look into the posts i always get to it and i hang there and check it out. there is something that keeps attracting me to it. its just perfect in my eyes.

i thought that the avatar will accord to my nick.

Lighter
if u r searchin' a program to switch from maya i suggest u the Softimage xsi.
xsi has got a large amount of tools and abilities more than 3dsmax.

i think u have lived a stuck in maya,and cuz of that u wanted to switch the software,u must think that first;for all past times u wasted many time to learn maya will be lost and u'll begin to a new software from zero (0,0,0,),

i suggest u; take advices of Black-3DT ,he will solve ur problems in maya and ur way will be clear open to use ur own software.and gain back ur spent times on maya.

OmegaN
19-10-2005, 02:36 AM
And in the end its not the software that makes the artist =)

hammering3D
19-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Happy Birthday to my sweetie Missyella :wave: and Happy Birthday B3ta (http://www.wrapwithus.com/Merchant2/graphics/Pics/Fullsize/CP-54406.jpg)

Rubbermade
19-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Piranha

modelling time - 55 minutes
texturing time - 30 minutes
software used - 3dmax7/zbrush/vray

theeman
19-10-2005, 07:51 AM
this times topic is something fishy so i made this up :-).the entries of you guys are simply amazing. :crazy:
here is a scene where something fishy took place. :smug: .well modeling 25 min texturing 10min rendering 3 min

fastrak
19-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Piranha

modelling time - 55 minutes
texturing time - 30 minutes
software used - 3dmax7/zbrush/vray

Welcome Rubbermade. I hope we will see more!
Just a note on your post. Although you have correctly submitted all the information required, your wireframe may not pass. The judges need to see a clear wire, not blended. Please edit your post with a revision. It would be a shame that your first entry may be passed over because of this small, be very important detail.
Thanks
Fastrak

b3ta
19-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks hammering3D, and many happy returns to your Missyella !!

Ger22
19-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Hello All! Great work this week by everyone...I think the puffer fish is the fish of choice by many people! I decided to do a cartoon version of my old green spotted puffer (rest his soul) :cry:

Anyhow, enjoy and here are the stats.
Model Time: 38 minutes
Software Used: 3dsMax 7
Texture Time: 55 minutes
Render Time: 2 minutes 32 seconds

Hey SteveW

Great model. How did you get the cartoon look? Is it a render effect or hand painted.

Tnx
Ger22

Black
19-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Hello Everyone...

Sorry for missing out on the week. my schedual in hand was not allowing me any time for other things. :(
There are some suprisingly good models from some that are above what I would have expected. It is great to see that you guys are improving on your styles. Unfortunately though due to the concept Andy has presented on the first page a few of the entries lack the part of "accurate models which clearly represent a fish species" in them... and shall suffer disqualification in the end of this week.

Please do take care on your concepts. Such hard work would be a pity to have gone to waste.

Good Luck;

Black