PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge 91 - Windmill

Marty_McFly-3DT
23-03-2006, 02:47 AM
The rules are simple

1, Each week we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modelling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive.

How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief will be removed and the poster disqualified

2, You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified

3, Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframe we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified

4, You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information will be removed and the poster disqualified.

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 800x600 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 100k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images Files. larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified

6, Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 29th of March 2006
Subject - Windmill

Windmill

There are different types of windmills that are made with different types of uses in mind, so we are definately expecting to see some great entries this week from everyone. Last week was a good one... let's keep it going!

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Marty, Fastrak, and Andy

Marty_McFly-3DT
23-03-2006, 02:48 AM
My starter...

H2O-3DT
23-03-2006, 02:51 AM
guys.. :) :) :) Time limit - 60 minutes
Subject - Lantern

Wys|wyG
23-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Was watching these forums a long time wanted to participate.. hope i can start this week...

I am a bit confused with the subject....

Time limit - 60 minutes
Subject - Lantern

Windmill

There are different types of windmills that are made with different types of uses in mind, so we are definately expecting to see some great entries this week from everyone. Last week was a good one... let's keep it going!

Lantern or Windmill!! :wall:

can some one xplain pls.. good luck everyone...

Sydney075
23-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Subject is windmill. The lantern was last week. This is just the result of some copy paste and forgetting to edit a part that needed to be edited.

Marty_McFly-3DT
23-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Lol.... I thought I got that little bugger.... but it slipped past me! Good eye guys! Yes.... the subject is Windmill!

Marty

Wys|wyG
23-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Lol.... I thought I got that little bugger.... but it slipped past me! Good eye guys! Yes.... the subject is Windmill!

Marty
Thnx. I like the subject. but I am a bit scary now... the ppl here are fast, nice models and renders in this forum.

mim
23-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Windmill?! nice; this week may be a nice one! but is your mean allthing like Windmill or just that who used to build energy ( electric or ... )
Wys|wyG- wellcome, don't scar; just do your work and try to impove it, I have a eye to see yours, man.
cya. mim :max:

Marty_McFly-3DT
23-03-2006, 03:17 AM
mim: No... it doesn't have to just build energy... like I mentioned... windmills can be used for different things. Feel free to experiment. :)

Marty

Gamma12
23-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Interesting subject. :)

I should find enough inspiration around me... The Netherlands is full of windmills. :P

moleeth
23-03-2006, 05:03 AM
heres my first entry for this week
tried to make it a little more detailed by adding a little part at the bottom with a ladder, platform + door part. but im really not happy with how the door came out.
but oh well we learn from our mistakes :p

time to model: 60 minutes
software used: 3ds max 8

Mousek
23-03-2006, 05:07 AM
moleeth nice start :dance:

tomkpunkt
23-03-2006, 05:10 AM
My first entry this week

modeling time: 55min
texture & render: 15min

EDIT:
Software: 3ds Max
renderer: Mental Ray

spidermax
23-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Hi guys,here is my first entry for this week

Wys|wyG
23-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge 91 - Windmill
My Ist speed model. hope members like it. critz welcome.. :blah:
software: Maya, Modeled in 60 Mins. Texture-render: 20 mins.
Hope I have followed the rules.

tomkpunkt wow I like your model, lighting and render. Nicely done.
moleeth looks simple.. good model.. I like your sense of scale.

-R3D-
23-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Heya guys, Good work so far. Loads of entries at such an early stage. I'll leave some comments in the morning some time, It's 2:10am, And i'm shattered. :)

Anyway, I'm busy friday and I'm away this weekend so I thought I'd get one in now and maybe one in the morning or afternoon.

It's only a quick entry, Quite simple too, Mainly primative objects and a few deformers.

So.... I hope you like :) See ya :wave:

App:: Cinema 4D
Modelling:: 25-30 Mins
Textures & Lighting:: ~30 Mins
Render:: 10-15 Mins

McRed
23-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Decided to join this week.

ozi
23-03-2006, 11:04 AM
nice subject and really nice start, i really like yours, Tomkpunkt, simple but very clean and very good render...

rivard
23-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Here's my first go at this.

al3x
23-03-2006, 11:58 AM
thats more like it i'm sure of posting in this week i like the subject verry much ...:evil:

mim
23-03-2006, 01:42 PM
wow, nice models n good starters ! :D then what will be up in future posts?! :eek:

Rooky
23-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Nice subject! :] Hopefully will get some ideas and Time to model one from me too! R3D ; spidermax and others.. great starters!! :>

gan3d
23-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey! this one is different and nice subject. Nice starters from Mad scientist n Fastrak :) . Windmill hmm is that mean we can model anything that has 3-4 blades to rotate and uses wind power??

tomkpunkt: u have forgotten to mention the software used.
Wys|wyG good start.
R3D nice composition.
McRed Good model man although it looks like the lower blade is touching the wall.
rivard nice work. you can post the image upto w800/h600 pixels or w600/h800 it makes the details more visible for the judges and also for everyone to see it clearly.

ClassicGamer-3DT
23-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Wahey, some very beautiful looking models already! i'm in, not sure i'll manage it all in 1 hour, but i'll try, i'm gonna research as much as possible before i start!

Cheers

Classic Gamer

Rooky
23-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I would agree with the time limit.. I think this subject would need some more 30 min or something! :) But of course it doesn't stop me from giving a try! :]

tomkpunkt
23-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi guys....

this is my second entry, its a very modern and flying windmill :)

modeling: stopped @60min :((((
texture, light, rendering: 40min
software: max and mental ray

twiddlefinger
23-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Very nice render R3D!

Rooky
23-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Ok! My 1st this week!
Hopefully the wire counts :dunno: !

wocam
23-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Hello everybody,
my first entry ever!

ClassicGamer-3DT
23-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Edited, i apologise i didn't read the rules properly, so sorry, here is my first entry.

Cheers

Classic Gamer

Rooky
23-03-2006, 10:42 PM
ClassicGamer
Please read the rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

SithLord_Steve
23-03-2006, 11:03 PM
ClassicGamer, what Rooky meant to say was that your image has no wire-frame displayed in it and is the wrong size for a post in these forums. Thus making your entry DQ'd unless you edit your post and put a wireframe in your picture.

The rules are there for everyone to read at the beginning of each brief. Everyone at some time has skipped over the rules to start modeling. Just next time you post please make sure you do read them.

Cheers
Steve

arneoog
23-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, now it's my turn! :smug:

Orkron
23-03-2006, 11:30 PM
and here is the final result of attempt 1

Cheers

Classic Gamer
You need to see this rule in particular:

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 800x600 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 100k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images Files. larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified

hammering3D
24-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Hello ppl, :wave:

I see that U already start to bring in nice renders compositions and models, hope U don't stop and will see alot of WindMill's this week,

This is my try.

see U :wave:

DahWan
24-03-2006, 12:13 AM
here is my try. and moderators:

pleease give me a honorable mention!!!! :halo:

i think it deserves it... that migh be because its mine, but can i get some feedback on it, now that i made it?? :D

PKT
24-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Ok, this is my first (if not only) entry this week.
Modeling time: 50 min
Texturing time: 15 min
Rendering time: 2 min
Lighting time: 2 min (Vray sphear and plane light.)
Software: 3d studio max 7 and Adobe Photoshop for textures.

the_bully
24-03-2006, 01:37 AM
ClassicGamer
OMG READ THE RULES
OMG READ THE RULES
OMG READ THE RULES
OMG READ THE RULES
:haha: Just kidding felt like joining in and screaming on some one

betasoft
24-03-2006, 01:54 AM
Here is my first entery for this week. Ps good topic... and this that all in post is truly modeled grass too (1340000 polygons of grass!!! and 44000 blades of grass!!!) hope you like it // (middle image is only with depth of field) // sorry for wire of grass, but it is really height polygoned as I wrote yet //

betasoft
24-03-2006, 01:56 AM
to hammering 3d: im looking that your refer image is same as mine :), otherwise good work all ... and as I'm looking now, martys respektive fastraks entery have same refer image too

hammering3D
24-03-2006, 02:01 AM
hehe betasoft, yes I think same referance, but u done it right, I made stupid proportions and all ;P

U'rs look verry nice, good job.

hahah loool, I look at Fastrak entry and like it, and did't saw is same referance, gee

but Marty entry is one post down, and is diferent ;P

ClassicGamer-3DT
24-03-2006, 02:02 AM
I have edited my post, my picture is updated, and is smaller than 800 x 600, i hope all is ok now, and i apologise once again, i will not be making the same mistake again honest, i'm a newbie to all of this, once again i apologise.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

betasoft
24-03-2006, 02:05 AM
to hammering 3d: my proportions is not as in image too, cause i wasn't able to recognize shape (form) of base of the mill. I think that best proportions have model of fastrak... i was thoughted about fastraks image, but it was posted by marty.

visit http://beta-soft.net

i mean this refere, and it is in fastraks image used too...

Rooky
24-03-2006, 02:14 AM
@ ClassicGamer

The rules are simple

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 800x600 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 100k.

The largest available image resolution ir 800x600 or the image has to be less than or equal with 100 kb. You don't have to make smaller as you have done.
Cheers!! Great entry btw!! :)

ClassicGamer-3DT
24-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Rooky in this case i did have to make it smaller than 800 x 600 becuase once i composed and rendered the image i was higher than 100k.

But thanks for your comments

I hope people like my entry now that it's all sorted out.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

al3x
24-03-2006, 02:24 AM
k guis here 's my first wind mill ,a simple and whathever the detailes o the pic ;)......any comments r verry welcomed , :crazy:

BTW ive used 3dsmax8 ....I alllway forget :kiss: :crazy: thanks man... :wave:

al3x
24-03-2006, 02:26 AM
ive tried to make the mills to fith with the bacground do ya think ive succeded .k im done :smile:

betasoft
24-03-2006, 02:31 AM
i think good enterys by now, keep it up all of you

fastrak (martys post): looking very good lol... very similar to refer image... really good work man

marty: good too, but i could be looking much better textured, nothing doing...

spidermax: good modeling and render... but planes on the shovels are looking little bit strange, other way nice entery

-r3d-: fantastic entery here again, and nice clean wire

classicgamer: good one, nice textures looking very interesting... and it's good you are using c4d too.

thegimp
24-03-2006, 02:52 AM
tomkpunkt... i dont mean to pick on anyones design...especially since i havent participated in a while..but...wouldn't your design be considered more a turbine than a windmill? didn't look like there was a functioning drive shaft for it.. i may be talking outta my arse...

adamos
24-03-2006, 04:18 AM
Finaly its time for my entry. Very simple modeling, but at last i have chance to use 3dtotal texture cd`s, and you know what ?? This week geve me an inspiration for a biger project so this is my first and only entry for this week.
Modeling time: 60 min
Software: Max 6.0

izmal
24-03-2006, 09:03 AM
hye guys...this is my first post here.c&C are welcome...

Conkrys
24-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Betasoft that a great render man!

spidermax
24-03-2006, 02:28 PM
hye guys...this is my first post here.c&C are welcome...

good one izmal...i can see this is your first post in THREEDY FORUMS ...welcome :)

JAPO
24-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Now this is a topic I must participate in.

Rooky
24-03-2006, 04:15 PM
izmal
great first entry!! welcome 2 forums =]
adamos
amazing texturing!!! love this one!!! :)
al3x
good start :] btw - what software did u use :P ;)

-R3D-
24-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Well here's my 2nd one, Not much to get excited over. I'm not expecting to get anywhere this week. I'm just plodding along :dunno::)

To me, there only seems to be a few types of "windmill" so I can't seem to get much inspiration unfortunatly :(

Anyway here it is... :dunno:

Modelling:: ~50 Mins
Textures & Light:: ~2 Hours on and off
Render:: ~20 Mins

Saturnfirefly
24-03-2006, 04:42 PM
R3D: Everytime i see you do something new, you do something amazing. Perfect clean and simple wire, you cant get better. Good job.

fasth
24-03-2006, 04:45 PM
w00t w00t, it's me w00t!
:dance:
I am trying to find my way back to these contests! w00t
I've been returning to the 2d part of this forum... and now I'm back here too! at least I hope so. Can't promise I'll participate every week, but I'll try as good as I can to get back in touch with my 3dimensional self :)

Some cool entries so far, hoping to see a lot more cool stufff.

Oh, and I've checked out some of the previous weeks, and damn! I can really see improvements from the lot of you! :smug:

Anyway, here's mine; simple modeling, but I thought more of the endproduct than actual details that won't be noticed in the render anyway. I reckon that's the smartest way to work (if you know what you want in the end scene)

Also, I went ahead and textured it with the textures that ship with max

'nuff talking!

Stanloshka
24-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi, here is my post

modeling about 60min
no texturing
rendering with skylight and light tracer
3DS MAX 7

ApeiNe
24-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Excellent work this week :o
luv' your first one R3d ;)
Great textures and render 8)

I'll try to make my one.. but I don't really got time these weels :s

ClassicGamer-3DT
24-03-2006, 08:27 PM
betasoft thanks alot i love C4D, i'm not anywhere near as the standard of modelling and texturing that -R3D- is, that guy is amazingly talented as are many more on here.

as for my textures they took me long enough to ork out!

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Bask
24-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Nice works so far. Especially R3D, Tompunkt, PKT and adamos

This is my entry for this week. Today I watched The Lord of the Rings. I got inspired after seeing all those Elven architecture. Very simple compared to all the other entries.

ienrdna
24-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Here is my contribution.
Modelled in Blender 2.41, in some 40 minutes.
Rendered in 6.27 minutes

fastrak
24-03-2006, 09:31 PM
ienrdana
Thanks for your contribution to this challenge, however, you have overlooked several aspects of the rules that you will need to comply with for this to be a valid entry.
Such as...no linking....render and wireframe in one image.....listing of important info such as software and modeling times.
Look to previous entries for some great examples of this and also review the rules.
Thanks
Fastrak

SithLord_Steve
24-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Haven't done a 3d model in a while on here. This week's subject is really interesting, and everybody has made such great models already! Here is my contribution.

Model Time: Full hour
Software: Max 7
Texturing 1 hour

Cheers,
Steve

Stanloshka
24-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi, very nice posts. Keep workin. What will be next? :)

Aleg8r
25-03-2006, 12:45 AM
:evil:

betasoft
25-03-2006, 01:18 AM
It's my second entery here, i spent on it very long time, especialy on texturing, modeling was quite simple (from my point of view).

I have to commend adamnos for his nice fairy windmill and again -r3d-, good work, guys... good work at all

visit http://beta-soft.net

So, I won't be restraining, here it is, hope you like it:

DraB.
25-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Hi. This is my first try here.
3DS + VraY

bugsbunny
25-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Great entries, here is mine hope u will Like it.
The arcade poles should have been wider I think but ran out of time to fix them :wall:

Lightwave 8.0
Modeling 60min
Texturing, lightning, Photoshop: 2h
Rendering: 5min

Stargazy
25-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Great models so far.

I tried this simple one ...

betasoft
25-03-2006, 03:02 AM
bugsbunny: very good model, very similar to reference photo... really nice

PKT
25-03-2006, 03:13 AM
This is my second entry this week. I was inspired by betasoft's referance picture, I hope it's ok that I used it.

Modeling time: 40 min
Texturing time: 1 hour 30 min
Rendering time: 5 min 50 sec
Software: 3d studio max 7, Vray, Photoshop CS.
The grass around the windmill is Vray fur on a tube.

Alot of nice entrys so far btw.

Orkron
25-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Last week and this week seem to have introduced a large number of newcomers to the SMC...Let me take a moment and welcome all new members and new contestants to the SMC.

inspired
25-03-2006, 03:30 AM
After weeks of absence, Inspired AKA Magwai returns to the SMC, to spam and enter once again. Keep your eyes open the coming weeks!

Magwai Windmills presents: MW ENIGMA 500

Magwai Windmills is proud to present you, the newest design from the young dutch company: the Magwai Windmills ENIGMA 500. The ENIGMA is the ultimate windmill for companies and households. the ENIGMA is equipped with the newest technology, for ultimate power collection. The ENIGMA seeks the best stance and height to get the most wind, and will automaticly adjust to receive the most power. The ENIGMA also has sun panels, to collect energy from the sun, if the wind isn't co÷perating.
All in all, the MG ENIGMA 500 is THE ultimate powercollector for every company or household. A one time investment of only $35000,- and you'll never have to pay the bills again! Smart people will order now, because the first 5 orders will also receive a MAGWAI remote control (c) to switch the ENIGMA on or off, fromout your house for free!

For more information, Spam Marty Mc_fly...:roll: err, I mean, check the website!

Modeling Time - 60 Minutes
Textures and lights - 1 minute ;)
Software - 3DSMax 6

3DMADNESS!!!

Orkron
25-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Nice job Inspired...great comeback!

inspired
25-03-2006, 03:54 AM
EVERY1 - Hello people from the SMC! If you are new, Welcome! After a lot of weeks of absence, i finally have a new copy of 3dsmax, and more important, TIME, to get back to the SMC's again. For the people who know me, i hope you missed me, because i missed you..(well actually i just missed messing around in the SMCs, and getting on Blacks nerves... but you know..:roll:) And for the people who don't know me, I hope to get to know you all soon. Ive seen some real great and inspiring modelers around! Good luck every1!

Marty - Hey man, Glad to see you are a Mod now! You know i love you, don't you? Whehe, I'll try to take it easy, and don't spam too much.. But you know what they say about old habbits... :roll:
oh, and btw, where is black? did he stopped? :o

-R3D- - Hey man, nice entries! I really love your lighting!

ClassicGamer - Gotta Love your style man! looks amazing! keep it up!

PKT - Nice original Entry! Love the whole thing (lighting, modeling etc.)!

Bully - Lol! whehe long time no see man, how are you doing?

Stargazy - whehe nice and orignal! Good job!

Betasoft - What can i say? Ive seen your name around in some other weeks i browsed trough quickly. Youve got quite some amazing style! Your renders look very professional! Love your entries this week, especially the last one! Looking forward to see more entries from you, this, and the coming weeks! keep it up!

Hammering - Hey man, you are still around too huh? Nice one, and hope to see you around often here!

Adamos - aha, You're still here too huh? GREAT entry man, the textures are amazing! so is the modeling! see you around man!

al3x -Nice one! Great entry!

Fasth - Fasth! another comebacker huh ;)? Nice to see you are getting back to the SMC aswell. And with style i might say! Great entry my man! see you around!

Orkron - The Legend! The one who have been here since the beginning! I think youve been around the longest now orkron! Great to still have you around, and watch over us ;) looking forward to see your entries again! Oh, and thnx for the compliment! You know i love you ;)!

Every1 I missed - Saw some great entries, while browsing! Nice job you all, keep sending in those entries!

Inspired OUT!

3DMADNESS!!!

inspired
25-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Cfaniak, I'm affraid your entry doesn't apply to the rules. I think you have to delete your post, and get a look at the rules again, READ THE RULES HERE (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=40487&page=1&pp=15).

You have to upload your entry here. It has to be less the 600x800, and smaller then 100k. You also need to include a good wireframe in your entry!

good luck!

DerekSc
25-03-2006, 04:01 AM
cfaniak: Please review the rules regarding submissions. Namely:
a) image size (dimensions and bytes)
b) posting the image vs. linking
c) clear wireframe in the same image
d) information required (software, time, etc...)
Take a look at the other submissions for good examples. (ex: -R3D-, adamos, al3x,...)

We seem to be getting a lot of new people the last couple of challenges. First of all, welcome. Second, let's give Marty and Fastrak a break. Please, if you are new, read the rules first. Review them again before posting. Thanks.

Orkron
25-03-2006, 04:10 AM
Orkron - The Legend! The one who have been here since the beginning! I think youve been around the longest now orkron! Great to still have you around, and watch over us ;) looking forward to see your entries again! Oh, and thnx for the compliment! You know i love you ;)!

You too buddy :)
And ya, I've been involved since week 2 :)
I wasn't able to compete every week but have been around for sure. I'm going to be out of the SMC for maybe a month or more since I'm focusing on My lastest project (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=40517) and want to devote my full attention to it...

betasoft
25-03-2006, 04:23 AM
to isnpired: check link to your second work in the older projects (it is unavilable). ps good entery and thanks for compliment :)

DahWan
25-03-2006, 04:43 AM
here is my #2

C&C welcome!!

cheers

maya 7
modeling time 60 min
render time 10 min
setup time 20 min

PS: i got kinda pissed when i saw about everyone getting C&C on their enters exept me, even when i specially ask for it

LostBear
25-03-2006, 05:15 AM
hey guys...this is a good topic. not participated for ages since to much work to do. have some spare time now so shud be posting my shot at this weeks challenge tomorrow.

Just a quick hi to all i know .....and welcome to all newcomers.

Bringmann
25-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Here is my try...also my first time in speedmodeling and my first time on this forum...

Azza
25-03-2006, 07:50 AM
This is my first post and I have to say there are some very inspiring images here, for the time spent on them, way cool, I think I'll give it a go.

See ya all soon,

Azza.

--Strattus--
25-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey everyone! here`s my attempt for this week

DerekSc
25-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Dahwan: Ok, begging to the judges for an honorable mention really didn't make me want to comment, but since you asked...

For both it would be better if you put an unsmoothed version of your wireframe, would help us see it better.

About your first entry, there seem to be a number of 5 sided polys, you really need to clean that up. Also, with the presentation of the wireframe, I can't tell what some of the pieces are (what is that rubber band thing on the bottom?). Best to keep things as quads with some tris where unavoidable. This also makes the smooth work a lot better (you don't get those starfish like things). Like the lighting and the compositing.

Second entry: like the design better than the first. Good presentation (just unsmooth the wire), maybe put a bit more of a shadow in Photoshop, but overall it looks nice.

Keep it up, and don't get discouraged about a lack of C&C, there's a lot of entries to comment on here.

sivakumar_sm
25-03-2006, 09:31 AM
heres my first entry for this week
tried to make it a little more detailed by adding a little part at the bottom with a ladder, platform + door part. but im really not happy with how the door came out.
but oh well we learn from our mistakes :p

time to model: 60 minutes
software used: 3ds max 8

good, but lighting is needed :lame:

Jediego
25-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I made this windmill scene last year, just wanted to show you.
Really good works this week.

Jediego
25-03-2006, 09:44 AM
...still got to do a lot of practice with mappings...

bugsbunny
25-03-2006, 11:44 AM
bugsbunny: very good model, very similar to reference photo... really nice

Betasoft: thanks for the comment i'm glad you liked it.
You have an interesting second entry too it's nice to see some unusual windmills.

And regarding the similarity you are right it is quite similar to the reference pic, as a matter of fact the background image is the same :haha:

My only concern is it might fall because of the thin poles holding the structure. Everyone look at it from a distance it's dangerous :xx: :)

PKT
25-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the comments Bask and inspired, you both got very nice entrys aswell.

gan3d
25-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey inspired welcome back on smc, i missed u too ;). very nice model, just wondering how do u manage to comeup with ur own design ideas for every entry u make ;). by the way did u see my entry!

inspired
25-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Orkron - hey man, "I'm focusing on My lastest project and want to devote my full attention to it..."
You should! Its a great project, and im sure you gonna learn alot from it! Im following it closely anyways! But still nice to have you around inhere, and suck up on me :p naah just kidding, thnx for your everlasting support buddy!

Betasoft - Thnx man, but i just checked my link, and it worked for me...:roll: are we gonna see more from you this week?

gan3D - Hey man! I missed you too ;) and about the own design.. i just like to design stuff, i think... More then modeling and lighting :p I know, i will never be a real 3D-artist... who cares :p and where is your entry man? ive just browsed all the pages...:roll: maybe its because im just awake for 5 minutes :p

tecsun
25-03-2006, 04:07 PM
My first entry~

wireframe:
http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wireframe8ad.jpg

inspired
25-03-2006, 04:55 PM
hey tecsun! nice one!
I really like the style of your lighting, can you tell me how you did it? it looks simple, but in a good way! simple and effective!

thnx!

:wave:

URs3D.net
25-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Finally i got the mood again to participate in the speed challenges :)))
So what do you think....the information is on the pic, as usual.
See below

gan3d
25-03-2006, 06:00 PM
my simple entry :p

Inspired here is the link (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443384&postcount=98) for my entry.

_

Rooky
25-03-2006, 06:09 PM
2nd one!
Nothing much!
Everything made out of splines!
Hope you`ll like it! :]

betasoft
25-03-2006, 06:18 PM
To Inspired: yes, i'm working on new one, now its completed in my next post...

betasoft
25-03-2006, 06:22 PM
to inspired: first link is working well, but second is not working (in me)...

SubCroC
25-03-2006, 06:37 PM
3dsmax8

modelling:60 min
texturing:10 min.
render:1 min.

DahWan
25-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Dahwan: Ok, begging to the judges for an honorable mention really didn't make me want to comment, but since you asked...

For both it would be better if you put an unsmoothed version of your wireframe, would help us see it better.

About your first entry, there seem to be a number of 5 sided polys, you really need to clean that up. Also, with the presentation of the wireframe, I can't tell what some of the pieces are (what is that rubber band thing on the bottom?). Best to keep things as quads with some tris where unavoidable. This also makes the smooth work a lot better (you don't get those starfish like things). Like the lighting and the compositing.

Second entry: like the design better than the first. Good presentation (just unsmooth the wire), maybe put a bit more of a shadow in Photoshop, but overall it looks nice.

Keep it up, and don't get discouraged about a lack of C&C, there's a lot of entries to comment on here.

well, its not smoothed, its sub-d. and its not 5 sided polys, its sub-d. other than that, thanks for the feedback :wave:

betasoft
25-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Ok, as I said, i'm working on new one, and now it is completed... here is it, and hope you like it...

TASan
25-03-2006, 10:10 PM
UrsiNMC! It's just like mine (only better:P it's my first. No planning in posting it:P) How did you get that texture?:)

URs3D.net
25-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Its a standard wood texture from Max 7 , probably 8 too. Its nothing special ;)

fastrak
25-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Ok, as I said, i'm working on new one, and now it is completed... here is it, and hope you like it...

You may want to delete your first image of this, as it will be considered a double post.
Fastrak

mim
25-03-2006, 11:56 PM
hi, I want to complete it as a 3d concept art and add this in my new project titled "ConceptLand", although I know it needs many work; anyway I start it for SMC and hope finish it here (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?p=443465#post443465) in conceptland thread.

title: "windmill town"
time: 1:20" (whole scene, but just windmill takes less than 60")
software: max 8 (mr)
you can find some shots & also first sketch of my idea here (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?p=443465#post443465) ;)

I'll be glad to hear c&cs.
mim.Armand :max:

roach105
26-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Here is my submission for the week.

betasoft
26-03-2006, 03:37 AM
to fastrak: ok, my third post was deleted, but i don't understand one think... why i can't post it twice if the first post is named as non entery... really i don't understand it (first was just part of work as non entery)... sorry for my bad english i was little hang up...

alexus
26-03-2006, 03:39 AM
This is my debut in Speed Modeling, I did what I can. Hope you will like it.

ClassicGamer-3DT
26-03-2006, 04:23 AM
inspired welcome back, and thank you very very much coming from an old time vistor and competitor on this site, i am very happy you gave me a mention, and my goodness there is such an amazing ecletic array of different styles of windmills, truely and genuinly inspiring to all of you entering, i'm in awe at the level of talent on here.

Great to see so many people contributing too, makes for a better experience in my opinion!

Having said that though, i'd find it incredibly hard to judge this, the artwork and detail displayed on here is astonishing!

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

the_bully
26-03-2006, 04:43 AM
mim

I really like your idea. Kind of reminds me of something from batman and
gotham city

There are a lot of good ones and welcome back Inspired
Hows it going bud?
Seems like i might have to get down this week since the old clan is here :evil:

--Strattus--
26-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Hi again! another entry from me :D

demu
26-03-2006, 06:06 AM
This it is the first time that I participate in this section of the forum.
I hope they like this windmill model..
I send a hug to all from Argentinean and a lot of luck!!!
Demian.

TITLE: WINDMILL
SOFTWARE: 3DMAX 7 AND VRAY
TIME: 56 MIN
TEXTURING : 15 MIN
RENDER: 5 MIN 32 SEC.

ClassicGamer-3DT
26-03-2006, 07:48 AM
wow!! some excellent compositing of models into thereal world on diplay here, my second entry will try to do the same

Excellent artworks!

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

ApeiNe
26-03-2006, 09:32 AM
really nice demu, but all the same texture on every "winds"..
that's the only thing told me that it's CG ;)
Nice composite m8

edit : Yan :eek:

mim
26-03-2006, 10:04 AM
grat works from all :dance:
the_bully - thanks for kind words dude ;)
I am working on a wheelchair now for my company; known anyone some refrence pic or bluprints for this? I can't find any :(
thanks,

fastrak
26-03-2006, 10:08 AM
to fastrak: ok, my third post was deleted, but i don't understand one think... why i can't post it twice if the first post is named as non entery... really i don't understand it (first was just part of work as non entery)... sorry for my bad english i was little hang up...
Betasoft,
your non-entry would have been fine, had you not actually then posted it again as an entry...that qualifies as a double-post. Your non-entry then became a WIP which is not allowed in this competition. If you wish to post early images of your work, use other sections of threedy to do so. My concern, if I did not make mention of it to you, was your double post could have lead to all of your entries to be disqualified for the week, and I did not wish to see that happen.
Cheers
Fastrak

ozi
26-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi everybody
Here's my entry fir this week.
Really great works again this week.
Yan, it's my favorite one at the moment, great texture and environment, Roach yours is really good too.
Good luck everyone
Cheers

Azza
26-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi All

As i said yesterday, I thought i would give it go, hope you like,

Any advice, comments, very welcomed

Cheers

Azza.

tecsun
26-03-2006, 03:35 PM
to inspired - glad you like my lighting. It is just a simple directlight + vray GI rendering + ACDSee Sepia effect. ;P

TASan
26-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Its a standard wood texture from Max 7 , probably 8 too. Its nothing special ;)

OK...heh, I have Maya 7.0, but my friend got it from you and sending to me:P :wave:

inspired
26-03-2006, 04:28 PM
mim - Nice entry! Great concept, and Good modeling!

Alexus - Welcome to the SMC's! nice opener!

Bully - Hey man, im doing fine!
'Seems like i might have to get down this week since the old clan is here'
Yeah, would be great if you entered again man! looking forward to it!
and btw, how is your pixelstyle 3d doing? (was the last thing i saw from you, since i left couple of months ago ;))

Yan - Welcome Yan! Looks Great your first entry! hope to see more of you the coming weeks!

Strattus - whehe cute! nice one!

Demu ouch, first thought it was a photograph! (i know everything besides the windmill IS a photograph...:p) Windmill fits perfectly at first sight!
nice one!

Fastrak - Hello mister Fastrak...:wave:

Tecsun - Whehe thnx. Im not very good with lighting yet, never tried much. But thnx anyway, looks nice!

Well, every1! ive seen some great entries! I might throw in one more today... good luck to you all!

3DMADNESS!!!

Antievo-3DT
26-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Wow guys! I am seeing some awsome work this week! Maby I will make a last minute entry as well.
Nice to see you again Fastrak :)

Antievo.

Bringmann
26-03-2006, 05:53 PM
a lot of great images... :drool: .....cant wait til the next Speedmodeling

Saturnfirefly
26-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Yan, very nice. And all other too, very good entries. I will do something in the week when i learn more about UVW Mapping, so i can show out my Photoshop skills.. raarrr ^^

gyps
27-03-2006, 12:02 AM
So many works!!! And I can see very nice among them.
Look at my render
All info is on IMAGE.
thanks.

fastrak
27-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Gyps,
You have a couple of items that need to be addressed for this to be an entry.
Please review the rules, and check out other entries...
Fastrak

fastrak
27-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Hello mister inspired and mister Antievo :wave:

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Hello Fastrak, Inspired, Antievo, and Sparky! :wave:

Justo
27-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I just saw the topic, great entires guys and great compsoiting to.
cheers!

Antievo-3DT
27-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Heeeey Marty!!
Heeeey Justo :) (Are you entering this week?)

I have been busy working with biped/animation and rigging this weekend XD
(As well as a fair portion of Final Fantasy XI :p)

Rooky
27-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Nice going guys!!!! This one again seems to be a week full of great and outstanding entry`s!!! Keep up the good work!! :)

3rd one :] My own concept! Of course had to skip many details because of the time limit! But I tried hard with the textures :>

demu
27-03-2006, 02:09 AM
APEINE: thank you to respond me..that of the textures of the yokels of the mill was because I wanted quick texturing and he didn't want to lose time in that..
so thank you, greetings.. ;P

INSPIRED: thank you for the answer, I am happy that you have liked.
I wanted to integrate it to the picture but I also wanted to show that it had modeled it that was not a picture.. :)
a hug..

adamos
27-03-2006, 02:32 AM
As i have promised i have done some small scene for my model from this week. You can find it HERE (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?p=443736#post443736)

v@la
27-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi guys, love this topic. dont think i have the time to join in :(

But i love the mix with, real background and the wind mill.. keep it going

NICE.

Rooky
27-03-2006, 03:46 AM
GREAT one adamos !!!!
Love the feeling of this scene!! Amazing textures and nice details!!

demise937
27-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Hey guys
heres my model, feel free to post any comments...
Thanks
:wave:

Shuggie
27-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Howdy peeps, here is my windmill, I've missed a few weeks so I'm glad I got the time to have a go at this one. I used scattered image mapped planes for the wheat and the grass, and also an image mapped plane for the weathervane cockerel. I modeled it in 3ds max 7, and it was modeled in around 50 minutes, I took around 3 hours to produce the texturing. Cheers.

spidermax
27-03-2006, 05:46 AM
look great Shuggie...i really like what u did here :)

the_bully
27-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Hello

One from me

Software: Cinema 4d 9.5
Modeling time: 60 mins
rendering time : 5 mins
Touch up : forever

demu
27-03-2006, 05:57 AM
the-bully: very good that mill!!!
this spectacular one the taking of camera and like it fits in the scene, congratulations.. :)
a hug..

XYZ
27-03-2006, 06:14 AM
my first time around here, hope it is ok.

60 minutes approximately modelling.

Marty_McFly-3DT
27-03-2006, 06:43 AM
A very big Welcome to all the newcomers this week!

(And that's a very nice Radiohead avatar you have there XYZ ;))

Marty

TheoTheAnimator
27-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Wow, there have been some amazing posts on this challenge. I think this will be my first time entering into a competition. I've always wanted to, but have never had time. I'm almost done with mine, though it isn't that great so don't get your hopes up. I have to wait for the animation to complete so I can render a few stills. I got excited while making it and went ahead and rendered 1000 frames. About 4/10 of the way done. :dance:

spidermax
27-03-2006, 09:10 AM
the bully,xyz,sood stuff..i like it :)

Orkron
27-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaamn Bully, that kicks a$$! Great cam angle, great lighting, great textures...way to go man...That doesn't look like maxwell...did you go to vray or just regular C4D renderer?

DerekSc
27-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi all!
Wow, some really tough acts to follow... as usual.
Judges, let me know if you don't like the wire, faded it out a bit so it didn't kill the mood in the scene (took a while to get the light to hit the hill the way I wanted, didn't want to just cover it up).
Details in the picture.
Have a good week!

tecsun
27-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I have more time to deal with this entry, stones & grass are not include in the modeling time:

Puckducker
27-03-2006, 05:58 PM
The Moulin Rouge. As soon as I saw this weeks subject I knew I wanted to do this. I wanted to keep it fairly silhouetted though, with a lot of atmosphere.

Modelled in Maya 6.0.1, with most of the lighting being done in photoshop CS.

Some reallay creative entires this week, not just in model design, but in layout and composition as well.

gan3d
27-03-2006, 06:19 PM
rooky: u have comeup with a nice model (3rd), looks like some kind of old haunted house :p

the_bully: cool composition mate!!

XYZ: Welcome to the forum. Good modeling. it looks like gonna fall down into pieces anytime if wind blows fast lol :haha:

tecsun: i liked the soft look of ur image, which renderer u have used?

Inspired: still waiting for ur second entry ;)

Puckducker your entry reminds me of Las Vegas, donno why :p. Good one!

Puckducker
27-03-2006, 07:39 PM
gan3d: Montmartre was pretty much the Las Vegas of it's day. It was widely known as a village of sin, with the electric lights of the opium den "Moulin Rouge" being the main attraction.

Conkrys
27-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi guys.. there are some absolutely great works in here. Both conceptually and technically! Congrats to ALL!

This is my entry (3ds MAX 8)... I'm Greek so I did a Greek Island windmill.... hope you like it.

XYZ
27-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Conkrys: I like your windmill, it really looks like a traditional greek windmill, at least I suppouse that.

I see a lot of good windmills, I'll try to do another entry..

good luck for all, and fast renders... :)

ClassicGamer-3DT
27-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Puckducker excellent entry, looks very very similar to the Baz Lurhman film, all the need is Ewan McGregor & Nicole Kidman dancing in love on a cloud and it's spot on!!

Crackin' entries here, makes my look very very amatuer, (i am a begginer, but still) very great artworks, i might see if i can make a futuristic windmill, like inspired, love the idea of a future windmill!

Really great stuff this week!

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

ania
27-03-2006, 09:16 PM
wings3d
60 min modelling

rendered in xsi. (I'm not good in that yet, sorry for the render quality)

tecsun
27-03-2006, 10:51 PM
to gan3d - I use vray renderer. the glow effect I done in photoshop. ^_^

to ania - I like you render, look like having blast in it. :D

Chugworth
27-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi, his is my first work posted there. :shout:

bekasso
27-03-2006, 11:10 PM
I am pleased to paticipate for the first time ...

Bobben
27-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Here's my first entry, and I guess I will participate some more times. So here it is my windmill!

FilipeDosSantos
27-03-2006, 11:33 PM
hi, this is my first post, i tried to make it look big, dark and cold :hmm:

software - 3ds Max 8 & Vray
Modeling - 50min
Textures, lights n render - 40 min
Pos.Prd - 20 min

hope you like it :crazy:

Rooky
27-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I`m amazed!! 4 newcomers and all with such outstanding entry`s!! =]]
Chugworth - love the lightening!!
bekasso - nice one from u 2 :)
Bobben - great modelling! Keep up this way!
FilipeDosSantos - just Great!! The details are perfect!!! And I like the texturing too!!!
A BIG WELCOME to all of you!! :]

Rooky
27-03-2006, 11:50 PM
gan3d
heh.. tnx m8! Tried my best :)

3com
28-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi,

this is my first post here, hope you like it ;)

Software: 3ds max 8
Modeling time: 56 minutes

rk821
28-03-2006, 01:37 AM
hi every one
great job from you
thank u for giving me and other people the way to learn from you
this is my winmill
sorry for hearting your eyes with my beginner work but i'm tryin to learn
i'm waiting for your tips
see you

Nehumanuscrede
28-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaamn Bully, that kicks a$$! Great cam angle, great lighting, great textures...way to go man...That doesn't look like maxwell...did you go to vray or just regular C4D renderer?

LOL

Those were my thoughts as well. I really like that angle for the shot. Gives it a nice sense of it's size.

the_bully
28-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
I hope to do another one but not sure right now if i have the time.
:(

toongimp4D
28-03-2006, 03:11 AM
Modelled in Cinema 4D - 1hour

darkersun
28-03-2006, 03:40 AM
program: MAYA 7
Modelling:20 mins
Texturing and lighting:10 mins

darkersun
28-03-2006, 03:48 AM
here is a screen shot of the image i posted in maya

XYZ
28-03-2006, 03:49 AM
darkensun, i like it, but you better read the rules if you want to participate, where is your wireframe?

XYZ
28-03-2006, 03:50 AM
ok, jeje

TheoTheAnimator
28-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Well, there have been some really amazing entries on this one, so I feel a little diminished by entering mine. This is my first true entry into a speed challenge. It is a pretty standard wind mill. I spent about 45 minutes on the modelling and about an hour and a half on texturing and lighting and maybe 10 minutes on composition (camera setting and aligning). I used 3ds max and Photoshop.

TheoTheAnimator
28-03-2006, 04:58 AM
P.S.- I know my workspace is a little....cluttered, but that is just how I like it. I enjoy having everything within arms reach of my warm and comfy seat.

-R3D-
28-03-2006, 05:11 AM
darkersun:: If you wish to participate here, you need to submit ONLY one image per entry. That image can be a render of some sort and MUST include a clear unsmoothed wire view of your model and must be a maximum of 800x600 or 600x800. The rules are clearly stated on Page 1 of this thread.
---------------

I've also noticed that a number of people haven't been utilizing the entire 800x600 area as much as they could.. It's just something I've noticed a lot of.. 800x600 is a good enough image resolution if it's used to it's extent. I try to have only a few pixels between my subject and the edge of the image so I get the biggest wire frame or render possible into the image. I'm not moaning or nothing, lol. I just think it could help show some work clearer that's all. :)

:DHappy Modelling:D

Marty_McFly-3DT
28-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Wow... I step away for just a bit and we have a bunch of new members! Well, a very big welcom to everyone who decided to join us this week. Also a little reminder, there are a few people who need to review their entries. Make sure you go over all the rules on page 1. Image size and wireframes will be the thing to double check.

Marty

-R3D-
28-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Hello all :)

Once again, outstanding work from everyone this week. And again, some new people on the scene which is always good :) I'm gonna write some C&Cs tomorrow because it's late yet again :xx:3:40am:xx: LOL :D
-----------
Right, here's my 3rd one. Not much to say except, I enjoyed making it :)

Hope you like it.... :D

Modelling:: 50-60 Mins
Textures & Lighting:: ~1 Hours
Render:: 3-5 Mins
Note:: I used Sweep to make the main body, and a 2D disc to make the "nose cone" I just pulled the middle out with the magnet tool. Thats why there's that many segments on them parts:xx: Hope they're ok Marty:dunno:

pyromir
28-03-2006, 08:55 AM
WOW great work -R3D- one of my favorite wind mills. also what are the spinning blade thinies called

beef33
28-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Not much time for this one so I decided to not do textures. Hope you like it comments welcome :)

Ron-Low
28-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Hello! This is my very first challenge, so go gentle on me ok? Thanks!

Benjamin Ojwang
28-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi guys. Im not new to 3d but Im new to the Speed Modelling Challenges. This is my idea for a windmill.Hope you like it. I used 3ds max 6. Modelling time was 54 minutes. I used the default textures that came with the program. So I guess I spent about 3 minutes texturing. I rendered using the light tracer and that took 54 minutes.

Taurus Anurag
28-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm Back after a long long Gap!
Here's my entry, details are mentioned in it.

M575
28-03-2006, 04:26 PM
WOW to all of em:p i haev finaly got ma room baq from the mouse :angry: so maybe i can make an entry this weeeeeeeek:p

Fabe
28-03-2006, 05:42 PM
My first Speed Modelling Challenge ("flying Teapot") It was a nice task...

rk821
28-03-2006, 06:20 PM
hi all
this is my windmill
so if u have any tips you're welcome
i used
software:max8
modeling/texture/render:2h
at last i learn from u people
thankx.

Jim#1000
28-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Textures are part of the 60 minuits, right.
I need to read the rules agian when i am not half asleep, any way my first post. :D Woot!

fastrak
28-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Textures are part of the 60 minuits, right.
I need to read the rules agian when i am not half asleep, any way my first post. :D Woot!

Textures and lighting are not a part of the time limit. Only the modeling must be in 60 minutes.
Fastrak

Keylitho
28-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Here My entry for the windmill.. Hope you like.

TheoTheAnimator
28-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Beef33, that is an awesome model. You should texture it.
R3d, I love all of your designs, they are very original.
Rk821, that looks a lot like the reference picture, keep up the good work.

efish
28-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow. I am stunned. The quality of the models this week is amazing.. Good luck everyone;)

al3x
28-03-2006, 11:18 PM
lots of newbye nice ...great models every ones ;)

Mousek
29-03-2006, 12:20 AM
beta-soft nice modeling.

inspired
29-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Hello mister inspired and mister Antievo :wave:

Hello Fastrak, Inspired, Antievo, and Sparky! :wave:

Isn't this spamming? where are the mods when you need them... :roll:

oh, and ALOT of great entries from you all! all newcomers, welcome!

well have to go, oh and BULLY yours ROCKS! daaaayuuumn man! now i remember why you were (and are) my hero!

well, have to fly

nighty night :p

:wave: 3DMADNESS!!!

betasoft
29-03-2006, 12:28 AM
to mousek: thanks :)

rothstar
29-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi All,
Heres my etempt, that hour goes a lot faster then I thought it would but I got the general idea down. Enjoy.

KINK
29-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Here is my Submission. I hope It meets the requirements.

Maya 7 software render and mentalray renders

modeling time: 54 minutes
rendering time: over an hour because I played with paintFX

this one was really fun. I hope with more time I can create a much more realistic environment for my mill and create a photoreal picture... although i would have to retexture it as well.

I hope you all like my entry.

pyromir
29-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Just a question when will this challenge be over

DennisVR
29-03-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm new to modeling since a couple of weeks. I'm using Modo 103. I could use some extra time to detail it more, but this is what i had after 60mins.

inspired
29-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Just a question when will this challenge be over

Robert Glas
29-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi to all of you!

I decided to join in this week's contest. Very interesting topics in the SMC.
I want to speed up my modeling process so i think that's a good training.

Great entries so far!!

Because it's a modeling contest i did not spend too much time on lighting and texturing.

betasoft
29-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Ok, here is probably my last entery in this week. This is only small experiment with sketch and toon render in cinema 4d, but i'm thinking it's good... ps good entery Bully really. Info is in image...

rudym17
29-03-2006, 11:58 AM
There are some great entries. I am glad to be a part of this speed challlenge.

So many kudos, so little time. Great Job everyone.

rothstar
29-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Another quick attempt at this. Good luck to everyone that took part. RUDYM 17 I like your comment about work, very true.

cg_artisan
29-03-2006, 01:18 PM
hey guys

how r u all?

here is my entry for this competetion

Modelling:full 60 min
Texturing:40min
Rest:20 min

done in max

hope u all like it

gan3d
29-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Kink good use of paint effects. I see the top blade is chopped off, maybe u can use larger area to show the image and slightly smaller space for the text than what u have used.
DennisVR: hi welcome to smc, very good entry. I just wanted to tell you that the image size should be of 800x600 or 600x800 resolution.
betasoft hehe nice cartoon render. i also want to do one :p maybe for the next challenge i will try.

tomkpunkt
29-03-2006, 05:13 PM
hi guys..... i have too much time this week. this is my third entry, i hope you like it ;)

Modelling: full 60min
Texture&Render: 20min

with MAX&MentalRay

oad
29-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi everybody!

Did this in my breaks at work yesterday an today.
Since it took me a little longer than 60 minutes, i┤m
not taking part of the competition.
But anyway, i wanted to share it and maybe receive
some feedback.

(Max 6)

Cheers
oad

infra:
29-03-2006, 07:45 PM
hey all
thought about building a windmill from junk out of the bottom drawer in the shed at first... not to sure what i ended up with here...
if "wind" was around it would spin! as its pivoted on a bolt that's been "milled" into the clipboard!
i have no photoshop, just mspaint, so compling jpg was a little hard.
promise to finish off my next go a little better.
sm

gan3d
29-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Another entry from me. wanted to add more details but this is all i could do within an hour. I see lot of great entries this week and lot of good work from new comers too (thumbs up). Keep it coming still time is there :p

Software : maya 7
Time: 60mins

XYZ
29-03-2006, 09:19 PM
tomkpunkt : I like the last windmill you posted, is original .. good.

Orien
29-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey all! This is actually my first post, as well as my first speedmodeling entry. Nothing fantastic, and I ran out of time when modeling the building part of the windmill, which accounts for the lack of detailing.

Looks like these contests will be a good ambition for me to keep my skills up and stay working on things. Looking forward to participating with you guys.

onemanshort
29-03-2006, 09:58 PM
It's been a while since I modeled anything. This is a great forum to help me gte into the swing of things again.

JAPO
29-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Hello :)
So here comes my entry: A windmill strongly inspired by windmill appearing in Tim Burton's film Sleepy Hollow.
Created in 3ds Max 8,0. Modelling took 1 hour. Texturing took approximatelly 4 hours (because I created most of textures on the mill by myself, so creation of textures is in those 4 hours). Ground and trees were not part of the modelling time and are just settings and props.

-note: mill blades had to be collapsed for further processing, so non-collapsed blade is provided.

rudym17
29-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Japo,

I am amazed at your model, and the hard work you put into your textures.

Great job. Very inspiring.

rothstar
30-03-2006, 01:25 AM
One Last Stab ! !

Antakiyyah
30-03-2006, 01:41 AM
this is my first ever entry on the forum ....always wanted to participate in this challenge..Everyone's done an amazing job on their models.

betasoft
30-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Ok, here is my 5th entery in this week... probably it is last entery too. As previous entery I usedsketch 'n toon, but not such a markedly. Otherwise, i hope you like it... info is as always in image... here is it!

Sydney075
30-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Ok first off I realize this maybe disqualified because of not technically being a windmill. However a windmill is a mill (for grinding grains) that is powered by the wind. As such many entries that are wind generators are not really windmills. Although due to thier similarity and the loose wording in the topic I'm sure they will be counted. I chose to not make a traditional windmill as I knew that at my level I could not pull off one that I would be happy with in the time limit. Hench I turned to wind generators but was not happy with the overall simplicity of their design. I lastly decided on a non conventional flying wind generator which does the same thing as the large land mounted ones. Anyone interested in them can go here (http://www.wired.com/news/planet/0,2782,67121,00.html?tw=wn_story_related) to read about them.

This is the reasoning behind my possible dq and if it is deemed unacceptable so be it. I am happy with the practice and got to try out a feature I haven't used before, motion blur. Spent so much time with it I really didn't have time for proper texturing. Anyways there have been alot of great models this week.

Gamma12
30-03-2006, 02:56 AM
I made this model earlier this week, but I didn't fully texture it until now. It's actually my second try at modeling the windmill of the village I live in (I'm living in The Netherlands). The modeling part turned out beter than I expected, but there are still some errors and I would've liked to add more detail, etc... :crazy:
The model got close enough to the real life version... and for clarity you can even read the name on the model itself (oh... not really, low res kills it :lame: ).
The modeling consists mostly of simple boxes... and a great thing called the array tool. :)

I didn't make a scene, since I don't have much time left and I suck at it, so here goes on a nice grey field... :smug:

Hope you like it.

As for all the other entries... I don't have time to comment, but I saw a lot of good ones. :)

the_bully
30-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Antakiyyah

Very cool model. Nice render as well.

Well good luck to all, some real good ones this week

Marty_McFly-3DT
30-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Ok guys, this week is officially over. Great going this week!!! I will have the next challenge up in just a moment.

fastrak
30-03-2006, 04:36 AM
I'm absolutely blown away by the quality of submissions this week. Everyone has done an incredible job! The bar keeps getting raised on every challenge. Great work everyone! And Good Luck!
Fastrak

cedflow
30-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Hello, i'm French, and its my first participation,
I begin in 3D and i'm a beginner on your website too...

What do you think about this first project for a challenge ??

cedflow
30-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Sorry, but in France it is 01:00 a.m...

So, is it too late ???

Marty_McFly-3DT
30-03-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm sorry to have to be the one to say this, but you unfortunately missed the deadline for this challenge by about an hour! :( But the new challenge is up and running and you have a whole week for it. Good Luck!

cedflow
30-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Ok, but what do you think about my Windmill ??

I'm a beginner, so i think critics is good, thanks...

Marty_McFly-3DT
30-03-2006, 04:56 AM
I'd say that it was a great effort. :)

Marty

XYZ
30-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Then.. whow long will take you to choose a winner and how do we know ho is it, will you post the winner right here on this section? sorry but I'm new here..

Amitav Roy
20-04-2006, 01:33 PM
hey i am new to this forum,
can i also participate in this.
well i am not very good in max. i have just started learning it.
so pls tell me whether i can do it or not, cause i want to improve a lot.
thanks in advance

betasoft
20-04-2006, 05:31 PM
in what? in this one? no this challenge is closed and is waiting for judges of moderators (marty 'n fastrak). You can participate in running week 94-95 (robot bettle).

Marty_McFly-3DT
08-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Honorable Mentions

tomkpunkt (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=442749&postcount=13)

-R3D- (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=442764&postcount=16)

betasoft (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443429&postcount=104)

Shuggie (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443780&postcount=141)

XYZ (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443791&postcount=145)

DerekSc (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443836&postcount=150)

Puckducker (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443894&postcount=152)

Conkrys (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443921&postcount=155)

3com (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444044&postcount=166)

beef33 (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444157&postcount=181)

Keylitho (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444260&postcount=190)

tomkpunkt (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444492&postcount=208)

gan3d (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444542&postcount=211)

onemanshort (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444566&postcount=214)

Antakiyyah (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444627&postcount=218)

Gamma12 (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444647&postcount=221)

Runner Ups

Rooky (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=442903&postcount=28)

PKT (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=442931&postcount=37)

adamos (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=442992&postcount=50)

SubCroC (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443401&postcount=102)

Rooky (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443727&postcount=135)

FilipeDosSantos (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443994&postcount=163)

Benjamin Ojwang (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444176&postcount=183)

Winners

the_bully (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=443787&postcount=143)

-R3D- (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=444154&postcount=179)

The winners can get in contact with ben@3dtotal.com and supply their contact details which CD they would like and which weeks challenge they were winners of we'll get your prizes out as quickly as possible.

hammering3D
08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
...congratulation to winers the_bully and -R3D- , and to all that got listed...

-R3D-
08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
OMG!!!!!!! I didn't expect that entry to go far at all. Thankyou very much. Well done to Everyone who participated, excellent work. And thanks again :) *walks off gob smacked*

tecsun
14-06-2006, 12:19 AM
wow! congratulation to all listed! :D

SubCroC
14-06-2006, 06:34 AM
congrats to -R3D- and the_bully and all.great works all done.

JAPO
04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
hello :)
Congratulations to winners, runner ups, and honourable mentions. Great work :)