View Full Version : Studio 713 Website
09-03-2003, 08:24 PM
This is my first post to Threedy Forums and I am interested in getting opinions on my Website.
Shameless self-promotion is a way of life.
10-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Sorry if I sound rude, but I dont like it. It is wayyy to confusing.
1) Get rid of the moving graphics.
2) Dont put the thumbnails on the first page, make sections 3d/2d. you have them on the side, just put them on the left no Italices on them, then put your thumbnails in there. Personally I dont like thumbnails in general for two reasons
a) they take up space on your sever
b) you have to make another image which leads to A)
3) Your main page should just have what happening on your page and be very simple. There is no need for any of those promotional link to be there.
4) get into photoshop and make some designs. or you could go ultra-simple like my website. :)
hope these comments help.
oh..wow..your 3Dup site is what your geocites one SHOULD look like! make them both the same :)
10-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Yeah, i would pretty much agree with lockdown.
Although im not sure what he's saying about the thumbnails... I think you should put them on a sub-page but also make them bigger... if you have never seen the scenes before you really have no idea what they contain...
Also i noticed some pretty bad mess-ups (i'm assuming this isnt what you see on your computer, but im using internet explorer so its probably something you will want to fix. See the red bits in the screenshot for what i mean...
10-03-2003, 10:22 PM
maybe somethings wrong with your settings Tim, mine doesnt show up like that. That means
Studio713 needs to check all SCREEN RESOLUTION SIZES!! Put a best viewed on: whatever or something
11-03-2003, 04:59 AM
nope, resolution doesnt change it :/
and BTW - putting "best viewed in such and such a resolution" doesnt mean its allowed to be completely unreadable in other resolutions...
11-03-2003, 10:34 PM
i know, just a suggesting...odd then,
maybe he should just re-do his page :D
12-03-2003, 12:43 AM
I should have a new site, that I hope will meet your approval, up and running in the next few days.
I would like to add that the original site was done using the embedded geocities web builder software.
The one I am doing now is a Photoshop/Dreamweaver combo.
Wish me luck and keep the comments/suggestions coming.
12-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Okay. I'll hold my tongue until then.
15-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Okay it's finished but i'm having major problems with geocities. None of my gallery's display correctly. The only pages that display correctly (as far as graphics) are the homepage and the links page.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my other pages to display correctly on geocities without having to upgrade my account?
I am using Dreamweaver MX and uploading using geocities easy upload from their file manager.
15-03-2003, 11:56 AM
i dunno about the galleries, i would use FTP over the geocities thing if you can though...
The main page looks a lot better now, although it is still busy and the menu seems to be one of the easiest things to miss on the page :/
How come you have so many ads/banners?
15-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Much better, still has some problems. I agree with Tim in why are there banners? Geocities I thought had that little pop up thing on the top right hand side...
Get rid of the things in the pic attached.
--No reason to have BANNERS on your site, they take away, and are annoying.
--Get rid of NEWS, nobody wants to read CG news on a PERSONAL website, thats why we have places like www.cgchannel.com www.insidecg and www.3dtotal to name a few.
EVERY SINGLE "AFFILIATE" get rid of em. there useless, they are animated, annoying, and should not be on a personal webpage.
--On the TOP "PERSONA" BANNER you have some empty "button" like grpahics. Thats good...now make those your buttons for your site...:) and get rid of the text ones.
Now about displaying correctly. In dreamweaver i assume you are just doing this:
In the SELECTION PROPERTIES window you highlight your text and then click the little folder right? and then you find the pic and hit OK... and then just go on your merry way? WRONG!!! Look at the selection rollout and tell me whats wrong! it says: c:/yourpage/images/the PIC.Jpg or whereever it is. Now how do you expect GEOCITIES or people like us to access you HD, without a FTP link? :) Just delete all that other garbage so you have PIC.jpg and in DREAMWEAVER you will have the broken picture, but on the net you will have a lovely picture of your success.
I also recommened d/l CUTEFTP cause it rocks. :)
16-03-2003, 12:09 AM
okay, this is for lockdown and tim since they have responded to my post the most.
Right now my site is not up because I am still working on it. all the affiliate links have been removed from the index page.
First off I would like to say, I appreciate all the advice and constuctive critisism you both have given me.
Next I want to say that there will be some things on my site that you will not be able to get me to change.
1. Currently I am an unemployed Respiratory Therapist. I have 2 kids that I have to help my wife provide for. I attended the Art Institute of Houston but I have 2 classes to finish before I get my Associates in Animation Art and Design and I am not working in the field (even on freelance basis) right now, and the money is not right so I am not enrolled for this semester.
2. I know I have potential to be one of the best 3DS Max artists out there. I feel it, even if no one else does. But until that happens I have to pay the bills and dirty money is not in my vocabulary.
3. So I ended up with affiliate programs out the yang. Do they work, maybe not, but I have to do something. I am not the type to just waste away and have my wife work herself to the bone and not have money to do the things she wants to because she has to pay all the bills.
4. I am not in anyway telling you not to be honest with, or tone down your opinions of my website. I'm just letting you know where I stand.
5. If I don't get anymore responses from either of you, I will be offended because the 2 of you have lit a fire up under my @ss and made me reach higher. I appreciate all that you have said and will be hoping to get more.
16-03-2003, 04:09 PM
well in answer to number 5) your welcome :-/...:)
I see your delimma, I wasnt trying to be mean, just giving my crits. But you are using GEOCITIES a FREE site...why would you need affliates, not like you need to PAY for that site. or is the money you get from the affiliates for a personal matter? (dont tell me, just say YES OR NO :) )
cheers, its looking a lot better, :) like any 3d work, needs tweaking now :)
17-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Lockdown the answer to your question is yes.
Okay the site's up and running properly, let me know what you think. All the affiliate ads have been pretty much regulated to the links section so it's nowhere near as busy of a site as it was. :)
17-03-2003, 10:16 PM
now dont you like that soooo much more than before? see, all it takes is time. good managment of ads, looks much nicer. you have some nice work on your site.
vBulletin® v3.7.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.