View Full Version : Low Polly Comp #9 (Angel) *nudity*

Pages : [1] 2 3

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 06:11 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/angels-rock.jpg

art by Uwe Jarling

Low Poly Mini Contest #9
Subject – Angel
ALL WIPS AND CONCEPTS ARE TO BE KEPT IN THIS THREAD.

Guide Lines:

We are kicking up the poly’s for this one, 5,000 tris to model your version of an angel.

Think of it this way, you’re a police sketch artist. A lady comes in rambling about how she almost dies. She says something saved her. You ask, “what did this thing look like”, she says “It was an ANGEL”. Now you need to make it. Don’t limit your imagination, think outside the box, bring your idea to life. You will need to use your poly’s wisely. You want your character to stand out from everyone else’s. This wont be easy.

The specs for this competition will be like those of the past (5,000 total tris), it may sound like nothing compared to the environment comp we did, but to people that have never made one before, this is a lot. You get a month, so do not try and over do it. I want people to finish.

Above all,
Have Fun!

Judging: 3 categories of judging will apply. 10 points possible for each:

Model – How well the geometry is structured, how well it looks like the subject.
Texture – How well the texture space has been used, and how well the texture is painted/applied.

DUE DATE: October 7th: a Saturday, 4 weeks and a few days from today! 12am GMT (midnight)

Idea:
Time to be creative. You need to create what you think an angel looks like. Your Version, there is no right or wrong, because it’s your version.

Poly limit:
5,000 Tris Total. You can do whatever you want with these, just don’t get carried away and don’t exceed the 5,000 Tri Limit.

Textures:
(2) 1024 x 1024 texture, you can chop that up into whatever you want. I think for this one bump maps will be ok, normals are OK TO GO, but you still need to go all out in your texture.

Textures can be hand-painted or you can use photographic sources. Do what you do.

Final Pictures:

You must provide a screen grab of your wire frame with your poly count, with the actual model and all its parts selected. Please don’t Photoshop your Poly counter with a bogus count. Make sure you post all work in progress, including final poly counts and wire frames in the work in progress thread.

Also, provide at least 2 rendered pictures of your model. Even better, try to composite a nice art piece similar to the ones in the Winners' Gallery. Be careful how you do this though, simple is often better.

A Final Entry Thread will be up and waiting around the end of the third week/beginning of fourth week. Don’t forget to submit your work by posting it in the final thread.

Good luck everyone!
BiG ToE.

freesupra
06-09-2006, 06:59 AM
sounds like a good comp, now to think of a good angel concept....
best of luck to everyone

mashinboo
06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
is tht test image an actual model or a digital painting ? becuzit looks awesome

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 07:22 AM
not real sure, but it was made by an artist who goes by the name of Uwe Jarling.

Jedianakinsolo
06-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Do we have to keep to the storyline above?

ShadowFalcon
06-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Shouldn't the texture be 1024x1024? 1028 is not a power of 2 number.

omnicypher
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
i think he meant 1024x1024. i think ill join in on this one, but i have no idea for an original angel. if it was demon it would be easy but in my mind an angel is a man or woman wearing white with a halo. i guess ill google it and wait for some wips before deciding what ill do. next we could make a contest for a demon, then after that have a contest where we make a scene of them fighting. it would be similar to the good robot bad robot comps.anyway, best of luck to all.

Niten
06-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Well damn! New comp begins already :D I hope I have time for this :O

Thir13en_fears
06-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Yay I caught the comp in it first day for once. I'll try and join in with this one and hopefully get a couple of my friends to join in aswell.

Grashupfa
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
May i ask a question...hm, Does the angel have to fit in the scenario you mentioned above? Because if i wanted to do an 'fallen' angel, which is definitely evil, it wouldn't be very believable that he saved her :roll:

On the other hand, it is a 'your version' contest, so i should be allowed to do it.

Please help me, i am confused ;P

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Jedianakinsolo: no you don't have to follow the story.

ShadowFalcon: yes the texture should be 1024. If you can, please point out where I have it at 1028, I'm looking for it, but can't find it.

Grashupfa: nope the angel is yours, it only needs to fit your idea. Fallen, or getting up. It's up tot you.

Diabolos
06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Jedianakinsolo: no you don't have to follow the story.

ShadowFalcon: yes the texture should be 1024. If you can, please point out where I have it at 1028, I'm looking for it, but can't find it.

Grashupfa: nope the angel is yours, it only needs to fit your idea. Fallen, or getting up. It's up tot you.

It was here, but has been changed...........

Textures:
(1) 1024 x 1024 texture, you can chop that up into whatever you want. I think for this one bump maps will be ok, normals are OK TO GO, but you still need to go all out in your texture.

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
this is strange, I checked my word doc and it has the 1028 in there, so it should be in the brief. But when I looked, it wasn't. I checked to see if another moderator fixed it for me, but nope. So I guess an angel did it.

Grashupfa
06-09-2006, 06:18 PM
this is strange, I checked my word doc and it has the 1028 in there, so it should be in the brief. But when I looked, it wasn't. I checked to see if another moderator fixed it for me, but nope. So I guess an angel did it.

...that's scary :evil:

simple_minded
06-09-2006, 07:14 PM
First I'd like to congradulate Mike, great work on the the last comp. And thanks for all the votes and positive feedback on Harley Quinn, Sorry I didn't get to vote due to my out of townness......

Well heres what I'd like to do for this comp, hope its ok.....

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/3971/mirtleei4.jpg

!BAMF!

Thanks Again to everyone!

!!BAMF!!

?????

!BAMF!

MonteCristo
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM

We admins truly are scary. More ninja than angel. Ningel. We can make changes and leave no trace...

Then we disappear into the shadows...

and pee...

...:crazy:...

Diabolos
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I may join this one, as that was a good point mentioned above to see the challenge start at the beginning.

simple_minded: that is one cooooolll concept pic. your black bar brings up the question though - Are we allowed to show breasts or is this a breast free zone? (I am thinking of Vallejo, Royo, and co.)

D,

MonteCristo
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
I may join this one, as that was a good point mentioned above to see the challenge start at the beginning.

simple_minded: that is one cooooolll concept pic. your black bar brings up the question though - Are we allowed to show breasts or is this a breast free zone? (I am thinking of Vallejo, Royo, and co.)

D,
I can safely say that breasts are fine. We just ain't that uptight here. If Janet Jackson wants to have another on-stage accident, then this is the place to do it.

In fact, I am going to make my angel entirely out of breasts. :D

Then again... maybe not.

Diabolos
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I think that would make her a succubus/harpie :crazy:

MonteCristo
06-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Lol!

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 07:53 PM
yes, Breast are good, real good.

simple_minded: or those hanes, or fruit of the loom, she's wearing.

Monte are you saying you fixed the error, I hope so, cause if it fixed itself, then this comp might reach another level.

simple_minded
06-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Fruit of the Loom........

!BAMF!

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 08:14 PM
you should go back and uncensore your art. If you don't then you will be censoring yourself. And that's bad.

simple_minded
06-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm pumped about the 5000 limit! Here you go.......

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/3728/mirtlepost1jw0.jpg

!BAMF!

BREAST!!!

!!!!!!BAMF!!!!!!!

MonteCristo
06-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Monte are you saying you fixed the error, I hope so, cause if it fixed itself, then this comp might reach another level.
Yeah, I fixed it bro. It just doesn't leave a trace when you are admin. Dunno why. But ah well, whatever.

kzinti_Z
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
<First post> This looks like a fun challenge :)

I'm in.

Nice breasts.

defaultalias
06-09-2006, 09:28 PM
you guys are warped :smug:
we all are
i'll have a concept out later today. nice topic this time

dark_maggot
06-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I think Ill enter this one, but I wont have much done for the next two weeks because of school finals. After that I have a whole week off and then I can work on my model all I want.

Here is my concept, my take on the Archangel Gabriel. The drawing doesnt have the wings but I added a small sketch to show how theyll go. I may change change some things from the concept.

Anyways, here is Gabriel.

simple_minded
06-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Went ahead and started modeling over lunch......

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/4914/mirtlerg1.jpg

!BAMF!

BiG ToE-3DT
06-09-2006, 10:52 PM
hey simple, I'm really digging the onion booty, keep it up. Quick question for you: is your concept art a Rockwell original. Get him in here. I need to talk to him.

simple_minded
06-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah, thats him, I'll tell him you called...... Tried to find your e-mail, no luck........

!BAMF!

Klash120
06-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Angels! can't wait to start on this one :P Have a q. I'm using Photo Bucket, which code should I copy/paste to show images here: 1) URL 2) Tag 3) Img ?
-FC3

Rocwell
06-09-2006, 11:59 PM
hey simple, I'm really digging the onion booty, keep it up. Quick question for you: is your concept art a Rockwell original. Get him in here. I need to talk to him.

How's it goin, everybody? You might'a seen my concepts in a couple of places. . . always attatched to a Simple_minded model. we've become an unstoppable combo . . .like ketchup an' mustard. . or peanutbutter an' jelly. . . or shake an' bake. . . . Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. Can't wait to see the models in this comp.

!BAMF!

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Angels! can't wait to start on this one :P Have a q. I'm using Photo Bucket, which code should I copy/paste to show images here: 1) URL 2) Tag 3) Img ?
-FC3

you want to post an image, so use the image tag.

Rockwell, glade to see you here, question for you. You wouldn't happen to have anymore concepts would you. I can understand if you don't want to pass the love. Might not be fair to Simple-minded. But you you two ever get mad at each other, I'm here for you. Waiting.

Rocwell
07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Rockwell, glade to see you here, question for you. You wouldn't happen to have anymore concepts would you. I can understand if you don't want to pass the love. Might not be fair to Simple-minded. But you you two ever get mad at each other, I'm here for you. Waiting.

I dont have any just layin' around at the moment. . . . .but. . . . what would you be interested in modelin'? I might be able to throw somethin' together.

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 12:25 AM
nah it's ok. I'll just sit here, by myself, and figure something out. It's cool.

by the way, great texture job on the frog and jungle girl.

Rocwell
07-09-2006, 12:27 AM
nah it's ok. I'll just sit here, by myself, and figure something out. It's cool.

lol. . . .aiight, man. just let me know.

!BAMF!

omnicypher
07-09-2006, 12:42 AM
simple minded: i really like that post of yours. its pretty much as good as a tutorial. hey, maybe next comp we can turn into a tutorial competition. we could just have a bunch of small work in progress pics to show from start to finish, how each of us makes a concept, model, and texture. this idea would work with any idea the comp would be about. plus it would add to the tutorial section of this website. after a few comps, this site would probably have the most usefull tutorials on the web. they wouldnt be in detail, but the pictures could be followed by anyone with any modeling/painting software. i think this would definitly help all modelers from begginers to pros!

ChaosDragonDZ
07-09-2006, 01:06 AM
yay my first post i just joined, so i could take part in this, i've been watching the forums for a while. Anyways, I have a question, the polylimit is 5000 tris? does that mean if you use quads you have to use half that? (i'm kind of a noob) i'm gonna go get started on my concepts

Klash120
07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Alrighty then. [pastes] see if that works... Going to start modeling soon.
Doing some research on angels n such. Came across these two pictures
my buddy sent me [No idea who the artist is for them] Might model somethign along
that. -FC3
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Klash120/Michael.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Klash120/Metatron.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 01:51 AM
I have a question, the polylimit is 5000 tris? does that mean if you use quads you have to use half that? (i'm kind of a noob) i'm gonna go get started on my concepts

basically, yes. Sometimes it's not that easy, but until you locate your polycounter, just keep thinking that.

Klash120: if you can do 50 percent of either one of those images, and you will have a serious model. And I know you can do it.

ChaosDragonDZ
07-09-2006, 01:59 AM
okay cool thanks, also Klash120, i'm pretty sure i know who did those pics, it was this guy: http://wen-m.deviantart.com/gallery/ look through his gallery, he has alot of angel and demon drawings

ChaosDragonDZ
07-09-2006, 02:13 AM
well i quickly sketche dout my concept, about 20 mins in photoshop with my wacom. i'm still not used to drawing this this thing...
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Chaosdragondz/angelconcept.jpg

Klash120
07-09-2006, 03:20 AM
ChaosDragonDZ, that'll be the artist :P Thanks for the linkage.
Big Toe, I'm pretty sure I can do it too, Doing it in Max on the otherhand,
may pose to be a challenge :P Ima do my best in Max! Screenie:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Klash120/Screen_01.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 03:26 AM
if you push G you can get rid of the grid. Sometime it helps to see everything without the grid in the way.

mashinboo
07-09-2006, 05:00 AM
mayb this time i can actually enter this one i missed a nice one last time

shadowbreeze
07-09-2006, 05:27 AM
hey sorry i have not been around, long story, but lets just say, i have had about 4 jobs since last posting and still owed money on two, so yeah **** happens, but i'm going to enter trhis one and hopefully my personal life will not interfere with my 3d time. cheers

Puckducker
07-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Hopefully I can find the time to enter this months contest. I hope to do something along this desgin....not sure I'm a fan of the anime look, but I like the overall design.

DerekSc
07-09-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm going to ignore Mike-inel's advice from the last challenge and do a big ugly guy. I'll post some text references when I have the time to dig them up (they're in a book about angels... not the Bible, but refering to it). The biblical references I remember off the top of my head refer to something that has four heads (a human, eagle, ox, and ... ?), is covered in eyes, and glows. I know it sounds like a radioactive potatoe, but trust me, it'll be scary. Besides, it looks like if I try to do the sexy angel style I'm going to get smoked by all the other ones that are already in progress. :)
Oh, and he'll have big wings and some sort of massive weapon, rest assured.

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Puckducker: you drew those wings youself, didn't you.

ChaosDragonDZ
07-09-2006, 07:44 AM
lol, pugducker, thats martel from tales of symphonia >_< I <3 that game

Puckducker
07-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Heh, yep, it's Martel alright (such a good game), but I don't recall that you ever see her in this form in the game, only her child form.

Yeah, I drew the wings in myself. Not supposed to look anything special, just a quick and rough photoshop idea of what I'd like to go for. She was a goddess in the game, so I figured wings wouldn't be too far a stretch. Again, probably not trying to emulate the current look entirely, I just like the overall composition of the design and it's something I'm shooting for.

rawk777
07-09-2006, 11:19 AM
This is nothing like simple_minded, or dark maggot (wow!). Like Chaos dragon, I'm not used to my new wacom, and character design in general..

The character have a shield too, but its not on the pic.

I think I should make her a short hair cut instead of that sexy curly long hair.. I feel I'm not going to be able to do this cleanly in 3d.. same thing for the long skirt...

Any advices?

Diabolos
07-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Ok, this is my ANGEL - concept by J. Albers

Grashupfa
07-09-2006, 03:43 PM
@Diabolos

I like your angel alot. I'm looking forward to see it finished :drool:

Finally found something i'd like to model.
My angel is going to look something like this one here:
(picture is drawn by Matthew D. Wilson)

Diabolos
07-09-2006, 04:27 PM
@Diabolos

I like your angel alot. I'm looking forward to see it finished :drool:

Danke - Dito

I'll need some UV/texturing help later, maybe you guys will give me a hand (especially the maya ones)... :xx:

D,

3Danny
07-09-2006, 06:58 PM
This is nothing like simple_minded, or dark maggot (wow!). Like Chaos dragon, I'm not used to my new wacom, and character design in general..

The character have a shield too, but its not on the pic.

I think I should make her a short hair cut instead of that sexy curly long hair.. I feel I'm not going to be able to do this cleanly in 3d.. same thing for the long skirt...

Any advices?

I would draw the wings fully expanded to make it easier to model and rig. Also the hands look a little weird I think.

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 07:05 PM
dang, Diabolos, dang, Grashupfa. I was looking at both of those. Oh well. Maybe, I'll just take alittle from each.

simple_minded
07-09-2006, 07:11 PM
*nudity*........ HA HA!

!BAMF!

?NUDITY?

!BAMF!

bb0x
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
tbh i'm not diggin the using other peoples art to model something....

i thought it was YOUR VERSION of an angel...and if somebody else made it up then how can it be your version :S

anyways correct me iff im wrong and srry if i am

MonteCristo
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
tbh i'm not diggin the using other peoples art to model something....

i thought it was YOUR VERSION of an angel...and if somebody else made it up then how can it be your version :S

anyways correct me iff im wrong and srry if i amHEY TOE,
Actually BBOX has got a really excellent point here. YOUR version does kinda rely on this being YOUR work (substitute "your" for "our own").

Better clarify that before things turn ugly in here. ;)

Grashupfa
07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
What if my version of an angel looks similiar like the one i posted, or maybe its exactly the way i see an angel? :hmm: (i can't draw :dunno:, just wanted to show how my final piece is going to look like)

bb0x
07-09-2006, 08:55 PM
well iff you cant draw this is practice....and not being able to draw is a bad excuse imho to use other peoples art....you can get many references of real women/man to base your moddeling off so drawing isnt neccesary(or however its spelled)...even iff you draw crapily ...i think you will be able to put an idea you have in mind on paper and like i said using the references to model

im not saying that you shouldnt base stuff from other poeples art...
i do so to allot but you should make it personal not just copying someone elses designs...

MonteCristo
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
And also Grashupfa, this isn't an attack in any way on you, it's just a general "oh, yeah, wern't we supposed to be doing a Your Version competition?" Otherwise this is just the same type as we've always done. :)

rawk777
07-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm not that good on drawing either, but I have to practice. If you want to get hire for any kind of 3d jobs, especially in gaming, you'll be asked to show them some drawings.

bbox : I personnally think your right, and it would be a better comp this way. The only objection I could see, is that it sucks for people who started already, but lol, we have a month, and the comp started 2 days ago.

3Danny: thanks

Puckducker
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I somewhat agree. After posting up my original design plan I thought about it, and figured that, even when I did my own take on the Martel design, it still wouldn't really qualify as my own design on a whole.

I'll see about doing a unique conept myself I think.

Grashupfa
07-09-2006, 10:03 PM
hm, ok, interesting discussion going on here, i'll wait till I start...i need to be sure that the model i am finally going to do is allowed to take part in the competition...

DerekSc
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM
This has a few different vague descriptions of angels to build a base on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

Klash120
07-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I agree with what Bbox's saying. The two angels i've posted is what I think an angel should be. I'll be using those, as well of others i've found to come up with my version.
Here's what I've come up with so far:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Klash120/Sketch_01.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 10:30 PM
your kinda right. The idea is to create your version, but some people think alike. And others just can't draw. So they use an image that stands out to them to represent the idea they could not draw on their own.

Taking it another step further. Using someones else's art to get ideas happens all the time. But when you straight copy it and try passing it of as your own, then we got a problem.

Grashupfa
07-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok, i won't. I TRY to come up with a drawing by myself. I hope everything is legal then.

Niten
07-09-2006, 10:46 PM
I agree that people should do their own concepts. If you already took somebody elses art already you should atleast ask permission from the artist. I wouldn't like if people would use my concepts without asking. I'm not trying to be mean here :dunno:

BiG ToE-3DT
07-09-2006, 10:50 PM
that is true, if you plan on copying another artist's work, you should get an ok first. But if your using an image for a refrence, then... well, just dont copy anyone.

ChaosDragonDZ
08-09-2006, 12:24 AM
i've worked on mine a maybe 3 hours in the past two days, my first day of school was yesterday >_< that takes away alot of my free time. meh, this is what I have so far, i'm using Blender, cuz I dont have (or like) 3dsm.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Chaosdragondz/angekwip1.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
08-09-2006, 05:41 AM
ChaosDragonDZ: still a work in progress so not much to say, but keep in mind with the shoulders, they will need to bend. Try seeing them bent, them add edge loops to make it happen. Also the breast have this silicone thing going, try going with saleen.

ChaosDragonDZ
08-09-2006, 06:00 AM
okay i'll check work on the shoulders but uh, i'm not quite sure what you meant by that comment about the breasts lol

BiG ToE-3DT
08-09-2006, 06:03 AM
nothing, I just like to see myself type.

PAPABEAR
08-09-2006, 06:15 AM
hello guys, can I join, I'm just new in this 3d thing, I think i'll give it a try.

BiG ToE-3DT
08-09-2006, 07:58 AM
hello guys, can I join, I'm just new in this 3d thing, I think i'll give it a try.

yes.

defaultalias
08-09-2006, 08:11 AM
lol, yes you do big toe.

rawk777
08-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm working on my concept again.. I'm remaking it.. in the first one, I used a reference background, but in this one I started out of nothing.. the only problem is that I fear I wont be able to complete the challenge. I have to build a music show with Elz, and we have like a month to build it, almost from scratch :s

I'm getting used to my wacom slowly :) ! Its better than my first sketch. I'm happy I have to design my concept art, I'm improving my drawing skills !

Is there something wrong with this one ? (I still have to give her an angel face :p )

Diabolos
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
So for those of us who just woke up (well 2 hours ago) after a long night of dreaming about angels - can you post the verdict in plain terms, please? Are we allowed to use the images we found on the net or not (I can draw, so no issues from me - just lose a few days - thats all - and I wanted to start modeling after my cartoons on Saturday morning)?

dang, Diabolos, dang, Grashupfa. I was looking at both of those. Oh well. Maybe, I'll just take alittle from each.

BiGToE - and you wanted to copy the copiers - shame :ugh:

D,

PAPABEAR
08-09-2006, 11:47 AM
here is a quick skecth of what i had in mind, sort of robot angel. hope its OK.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/274/angelkofn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Belgianbonzai
08-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Is there something wrong with this one ? (I still have to give her an angel face :p )

her anatomy :o

arms are too short, boobs are weird, your ribcage ends below the bellybutton
and then some less serious stuff

rawk777
08-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Belgianbonzai Ho.. you're right.. I guess I'm gonna have to do it all again :(

Lol, how can she flyes with these boobs ?

At least its not aaaaalll bad.. ! (damn art school why did they pushed us to do abstract?)

If I dont redraw her, I should fix it in 3ds.. but still, I will have to do the side view !

lucashug
08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
hi,
this is my angel...
hope you like it.

defaultalias
08-09-2006, 08:31 PM
lucashug- thats neat, looks like it's made of wood almost. but check you proportions and look at your hands.
papabear- nice

lucashug
08-09-2006, 10:20 PM
hi,
yes you're right default alias
the proportion is reali false.
and i change that,
i hope it's more good for the proportions.
C+C are welcome.
goodluck at all.

defaultalias
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
much better. now it's time for you guys to tear mine apart :smug:
decided to make a fallen angel. tell me if thats not ok

Klash120
08-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I think it look awesome dfaultAlias. Not to rag on you or anything, but I hope you can finish this one :P

defaultalias
08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
i hope so too :smug: thanks
this time around i shouln't have any distractions, so maybe i'll finish

Spartan-117
09-09-2006, 12:19 AM
This sounds interesting, i think i will have a go at my avater "BlackWing".

If anyone else wants to try it feel free

simple_minded
09-09-2006, 04:25 AM
So here's what i got so far.........

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/7167/mirtlejj3.jpg

??????

Thanks!

??????

BiG ToE-3DT
09-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Mirtle is looking good, but... if the belly button is going to be where the loops come to gether then, that's to high, compared to the concept. Now you could leave it there, but then you would need to bring those draws up to hit the hip.

ChaosDragonDZ
09-09-2006, 06:35 AM
mines coming along nicely, i guess. i dont really know much about topology and such, i know a little about proportions, so any critiques would be helpful. also, ignore the wings, i'm not using those, theyre way too high poly, i just made em to see how it would look.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Chaosdragondz/angelwip2.jpg

Niten
09-09-2006, 12:54 PM
ChaosDragonDZ: Damn! Your model is really coming out nicely. I haven't even drawn my concept yet :crazy: Have you used Blender long time?

Nappa
09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
lucashug I believe thats a pixie because she has incent wings like a butterflie

Gofthick
09-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Afterall several crappy sketches i've got something i think will be submittable, hopefully :D

ChaosDragonDZ
09-09-2006, 08:09 PM
i've been using blender for maybe a year or so, it took me forever to learn because when I was learning there was little documentation, and the tutorials I did find werent very good.

Gofthick
09-09-2006, 08:30 PM
http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/6749/angelsketchqe5.jpg

Man, i suck at drawing ._.

Anyway, this is the sketch i made late last night simply so i could remember my thoughts on the design, i have the image of what i want in my head, which is all that matters.

arneoog
09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Here is my Comcept Drawing...
Nothing spectacular except for the wings... :D
If a human had wings they would NEVER have fethers on them! Humans Can't possibly grow fethers! hehe
So human wings would probably look like bat wings, and just to make them look nicer I added some white "fur" :cool:

http://www.elqx.com/sm/lowpoly/angel/ntk_concept.jpg

Here is my 3D progress :)

http://www.elqx.com/sm/lowpoly/angel/progress0001.jpg

lucashug
09-09-2006, 09:00 PM
nappa : peraps,
but for me an angel its a
person with wing,
and fairy is a kind of
angel, its the angel
of an another world...
are you ok with this, big toe-3dt???

BiG ToE-3DT
09-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm fine with it. This is your art, so whatever you want your angel to look like, is fine with me.

evil-98
09-09-2006, 10:45 PM
pretty cool guys, id like to join but i cant get my max to work. im very sad, im lifeless without my 3dsmax..

lucashug
09-09-2006, 11:05 PM
thank you, big toe-3DT.
lu

Glottis
09-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Bah.. Universytýs hell right about now, so I dunnae if I can join (hence the abandoned quark project earlier), but i´ll try to squeeze a bit of time here and there to compete :)

Really love some concepts here :)

ChaosDragon, just a suggestion, instead of modelling every feather, like you did, and use instead planes with alpha maps, you could save a lot of polies to add detail on the rest of the guy :)

but with 5.000 polies, we all don´t need to qorry much about that stuff, eh? :D

BiG ToE-3DT
09-09-2006, 11:34 PM
pretty cool guys, id like to join but i cant get my max to work.

whats wrong with it. What happens when you load it up.

evil-98
10-09-2006, 12:23 AM
there something wrong with the portable licence utility

BiG ToE-3DT
10-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Evil, do you have all the updates. And when did you notice it was messing up. You might want to try a system restore, and go back a few days. aka system restore point.

As for me, I started my model. Trying to get it out the way sooner than later.

KaynSlamdyke
10-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Newbie here (thanks to Gofthick for the link to this place. Could have done with this while I was still at University...).

Anyhow, I've made a late start on my piece. Just making myself a basic head to expand on. Currently on 422 Triangles. Got to turn on the smoothing and change the edge triangulation at some point after I finish tinkering with it. Got to make a better concept drawing than the bizarre scribble I've scanned in and decided to base a piece of work on

I'd appreciate every single little bit of advice that gets thrown my way.

ChaosDragonDZ
10-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Glottis, yeah I said I didnt plan on keping those wings cuz they were too high poly. Those arent the final wings; i think I might di bat wings anyways....

arneoog
10-09-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm done with the modelling :D
Still working on the Texture, but I've come a long :roll:

Here It is :smug:
http://www.elqx.com/sm/lowpoly/angel/2_Wire.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
10-09-2006, 05:10 AM
need help, not sure if I should go with the horns, or the ears...
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/wires002.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
10-09-2006, 05:16 AM
arneoog: do you have some wires for us to look at. Also, I know its your idea of an angel, but the arms look way to long. If your going with the human look, then I guess you would do human proportions as well.

simple_minded
10-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Big Toe, Did you post a pic ref, a sketch or maybe even
a cat scan? I'm not really digging the horns, they look sorta
weak, like they should be on a child or something....... If you
go with the horns give him some big curling ram horns.......
And also the skull shape seems very odd to me in the profile.
How the back of the head comes up and around to the
forehead...... the forehead seems very massive...... Again,
i haven't seen your concept, so very thing thats standing
out maybe in the script...... I hope this makes sense?

Um????

!BAMF!

??????

!BAMF!

DerekSc
10-09-2006, 06:44 AM
I like the horns, BT. Just had a thought, if you completely rotate them 180 degrees on the X axis (side), so they are going around to the top back of the head, and make the ends touch, it would sorta be like a demonic halo. Just an idea to play with if you feel like it.

BiG ToE-3DT
10-09-2006, 06:55 AM
guess I got some work to do. By the way, it's supposed to be a girl. and yeah, the more I look at it from the side the more it looks like a guy. Maybe if I add hair. or something. Don't have a concept, but I do have an idea.

simple_minded
10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Ok so i been working like a dedicated slacker today on Mirtle...... Heres whats going on.......

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3209/mirtle2lq4.jpg

If your wondering whats up with the socks and shoes, she'll be sporting something like this........

http://www.karmaloop.com/vendor/ADI/945684BLAmd.jpg http://www.oldskaters.com/merch_images/tube_socks_faded.jpg

The stripes on the socks will match "the draws".......... And the shoes may be rollerskates after its all said and done.........

!?BAMF?!

www.BulletProofBarbie.com

!?BAMF?!

YEAH?????

Glottis
10-09-2006, 10:00 AM
ChaosDragon, sorry man :) I guess i skipped that part of your post :D hehe

arneoog
10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
arneoog: do you have some wires for us to look at. Also, I know its your idea of an angel, but the arms look way to long. If your going with the human look, then I guess you would do human proportions as well.Oops :eek: I'll make the arms shorter! Didn't see it :o
I will post some wires when that's done ;)

Big Toe, I don't know how the rest is going to look, but he horns are pretty cool... :)
simple_minded, That's really nice!

Grashupfa
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
head is looking good big toe. How many tris is that atm?

arneoog
10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Fixed the arms, they will now reach down to the center of the thighs :)

And here's the Wire:
http://www.elqx.com/sm/lowpoly/angel/3_Wire.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
10-09-2006, 06:32 PM
head is looking good big toe. How many tris is that atm?

1024. Not sure if I all cut some out. Think I'll wait till the model is done first.

AbaDome
10-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay experiensing some problems uploading images to threedy...
image is right size in any ways... but anyhow lets try if i can manage to upload it somewhere else hope this works.
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6445/testvu8.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testvu8.jpg)

i dont have any drawing for this but the idea is pretty good burnt up in my mind :drool: Going for the idea that if heaven exists and for some mistake im let in there all the girls would look like this :haha:
im kinda still strugling with what kinda hairtype is it going to be and is it going to be this naughty dark angel or this prinsess like girl next door with some beatifull underwear :drool:

oh and im going in about 3300 tris atm so i will be adding them alot in

ChaosDragonDZ
10-09-2006, 08:47 PM
simple minded, mirtle looks great so far, but I think the neck is a little bit too long and skinny

BiG ToE-3DT
10-09-2006, 09:50 PM
please stop by the speed animation challenge and vote for your fav...
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=45646

BiG ToE-3DT
11-09-2006, 01:49 AM
ok, my first attempt at a female body. Much rather look at, than model.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/wires003.jpg

hammering3D
11-09-2006, 01:50 AM
hmm mm m ... I think I'll join the low polly comp . . . but I have some questions cause I never model low poly models ...

1) i remeber i read back in previews competitions, that we must model like we model for games...and that games not suport meshes with polygons with 3 edges, but i see here many have 3 edges polygons ...so how many eges cood have the polygons on the model ? ... cod have only 3 and 4 or ?

2) we have to post an concept schech or find one on net and show it...or we cood only model from our head and post only the 3d model withot a schech ?

3) shood necesary have the model with texture...or cood it be clay render ?

4) the texture shood be one 1024X1024 max res file ?, is something special about the texture...? maximum file size...format etc ?

5) the texturing of the model shod be done (in 3ds max 8) with unwrap ?, is other special things i shood know except unwrap ? ( i meean something diferend i shood do for a low poly model to be ok)

soory I ask things that are answered tousent of times in back competitons...but i don't like to be the smart kid that not respect others and brake rules and do thinks wihout ask firs...so be patience with me :)

BiG ToE-3DT
11-09-2006, 02:00 AM
hmm mm m ... I think I'll join the low polly comp . . . but I have some questions cause I never model low poly models ...

1) i remeber i read back in previews competitions, that we must model like we model for games...and that games not suport meshes with polygons with 3 edges, but i see here many have 3 edges polygons ...so how many eges cood have the polygons on the model ? ... cod have only 3 and 4 or ?

2) we have to post an concept schech or find one on net and show it...or we cood only model from our head and post only the 3d model withot a schech ?

3) shood necesary have the model with texture...or cood it be clay render ?

4) the texture shood be one 1024X1024 max res file ?, is something special about the texture...? maximum file size...format etc ?

5) the texturing of the model shod be done (in 3ds max 8) with unwrap ?, is other special things i shood know except unwrap ? ( i meean something diferend i shood do for a low poly model to be ok)

soory I ask things that are answered tousent of times in back competitons...but i don't like to be the smart kid that not respect others and brake rules and do thinks wihout ask firs...so be patience with me :)

1: you can have as many sides to the poly as you want, but 4 sides look cleaner/better. 3 sides are ok too.

2: you don't have to post a concept, but people like looking at them.

3: Yes, model needs to be textured, if you want it to be apart of the voting.

4: the max size for the texture is 1024, smaller is fine. If you go smaller, I recommend 512, then you can use 4 texture maps, instead of (1) 1024.

5: the only way I know of to texture a character based mesh with detail in photoshop is to unwrap it.

glad to see you in here Hammer... :dance:

hammering3D
11-09-2006, 02:08 AM
:) tnx BiG ToE ... so I don't know to draw, i never model low poly, i am bad at organic modeling in hi poly so i'm nothing in low poly, i have no talent and i think low poly ask more talent then hi poly modeling ... so having all those wepons ready I'M IN :wave:

KaynSlamdyke
11-09-2006, 02:10 AM
i dont have any drawing for this but the idea is pretty good burnt up in my mind :drool:I bet it does.

The work is faultless in my opinion. I'm hoping you go for the girl next door type myself. I'm also liking the work arneoog is doing, although the wings look a bit more like bat wings than bird wings.

Anyhow. Concept work from me... (Clicky thumbnail)
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/kaynslamdykejournal/th_michelle.jpg (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/kaynslamdykejournal/michelle.jpg)
Cyberpunk Riot Cop Angel :halo: . Not sure what went through my mind when I scribbled these, although it should be fun to model, what with the metallic wings, arm, and face to play with.

Will probably have some better stuff drawn up during the week to go with the (now 500 poly) face I was working on yesterday.

ChaosDragonDZ
11-09-2006, 03:34 AM
the modeling is pretty much done on my now fallen angel, yeah i decided to go with the fallen angel. I'm gonna wait a while before texturing/rigging though so i can get some feedback. its about 3800 polys at the moment. eh
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Chaosdragondz/fallenangel.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
11-09-2006, 03:51 AM
you got a wire, so we can see the joints. Front and back.

ChaosDragonDZ
11-09-2006, 04:22 AM
uh yeah:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Chaosdragondz/fawipwire.jpg
I know I have to add a loopcut or two in the shoulders

Agent-X
11-09-2006, 04:34 AM
You guys can count me in on towards the end for this one. I am liking what I see so far guys. Keep up the good work. Everyone is doing a fabulous job. :)

kzinti_Z
11-09-2006, 05:18 AM
sketch
http://www.independentamericanenergy.com/temppics/kzintiZangelsketch.jpg

kzinti_Z
11-09-2006, 05:23 AM
http://www.independentamericanenergy.com/temppics/1stpostsequence.jpg

kzinti_Z
11-09-2006, 05:50 AM
http://www.independentamericanenergy.com/temppics/fullhead.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
11-09-2006, 08:58 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/bodywires002.jpg

polytweak
11-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Toe - The model is coming along nicely bro, good work on the body so far, glad I could help with that Wiro tutorial.

Diabolos
11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Ok, here is my progress after my Saturday morning cartoon and cereal session - this is my first female model. Crits welcome *needed* I think I may be using too many poly's already.........

D,

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/diabolosgermany/?action=view&current=TorsoWire.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

KaynSlamdyke
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
kzinti, I like the stylised look of the head. Makes a change from the fairly realistic approach most of us are going for. Not sure I like spheres being used for the eyes in a low poly contest though - will just eat polys where planes will suffice.

Would like to know how you're going to do the hair though. I can't find a way of doing hair that I like the look of personally.

toe, the model is superb. Just want to know what the flow will be like around the shoulders though

lucashug
11-09-2006, 02:13 PM
hi,
i have a probleme,
i can't post in
the manage attachement...
when i click on upload,
its bug.
how can i do???

lucashug
11-09-2006, 03:33 PM
hi,
i found an another solution.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4791/002fo4.th.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=002fo4.jpg)

kzinti_Z
11-09-2006, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=KaynSlamdyke]kzinti, I like the stylised look of the head. Makes a change from the fairly realistic approach most of us are going for. Not sure I like spheres being used for the eyes in a low poly contest though - will just eat polys where planes will suffice.

Would like to know how you're going to do the hair though. I can't find a way of doing hair that I like the look of personally.
QUOTE]

Thanks KaynSlamdyke, I was going for a slightly manga/inhuman look. :) Yea, the spheres are just standins for now. I will go back and reduce some of my polys too. On hair not sure yet.

BiG ToE-3DT
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
toe, the model is superb. Just want to know what the flow will be like around the shoulders though

I'm just getting the base right now, but I can say that the shoulder should flow up and over to the back, if I do it right.

KaynSlamdyke
11-09-2006, 10:16 PM
About as done with the head as I want to be for now.

I have serious issues with lips. :wall: Seven anatomy books and constant tinkering have destroyed my model three times already, so I'm thinking I'll stick with what I've got and will do some serious texture work to cover it's uglyness.

That, or I'll completely delete them. Who needs lips anyway?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/kaynslamdykejournal/angel10.jpg

AbaDome
11-09-2006, 10:49 PM
wow everybody got some cool entrys... and everybody seems to have some original ideas too :)
heres my progress as an wire so far... still got alot details to put in
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7968/wiretab3.th.jpg (http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wiretab3.jpg)

senatorpain
11-09-2006, 11:36 PM
DefaultAlias, I really like your fallen angel character. Very cool style.

Alright, maybe I'll get this one in on time! Here's my version.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/MrCleanHatesYou/angel.jpg

Just to add my two cents here: This is a "Your own version" competion. Using the "but, I can't draw" excuse to use somebody elses artwork to model from doesn't cut it with me.That just sounds like a complete lack of creativity. If you don't have basic drawing skills you shouldn't be a 3d artist. That's the equivelant of a pirate not knowing how to pillage and plunder.

BiG ToE-3DT
12-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Alright, maybe I'll get this one in on time!

you better... That is a nice concept.
If you don't have basic drawing skills you shouldn't be a 3d artist. That's the equivelant of a pirate not knowing how to pillage and plunder.

Can't believe you said that, but it's your opinion. And the part of the pirate is wrong as well. You might be great with a sword, but get sea sick, you can sail a boat with the best of them, but you can't navigate to save your life.

There is a reason there are more than one type of artist. Some do one thing better. Example, look at Simple-Minded and Rockwell, not sure but I'm guessing Simple-minded can't draw to well and Rockwell is a concept artist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So saying if you can't draw means you shouldn't be a 3d artist, is pushing it.

Side note, will you be coloring your concept in. You should, good portfolio piece.

Zcubed
12-09-2006, 12:29 AM
While the answer to this one isn't clear cut, I think that Senatorpain makes a strong point. You don't need to be a particularly strong 2D artist to excel in 3D (Though I hear it helps a lot :crazy:) , but you will need some knowledge of proportions and anatomy. Put some ideas down on paper, even if it's just some very loose sketching with basic shapes. If you can't get inspired enough to do any concepting of your own, I'm not sure how you intend to finish a 3D model to the best of your abilities. Feel free to use photos/artwork as reference if you're going for a certain look.

Anyways, just chiming in with my opinion. :smug:

BiG ToE-3DT
12-09-2006, 12:33 AM
does this mean we will see a Zcubed model this comp.

AbaDome
12-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Omg, thats so silly... whats 2d drawing got anything to do with 3d? using your pen dosent make you any more creative than the next guy... u can still copy a drawing cant you? using your imagination is the key...
if some people want to go for copy of some others art fine by me as long as its not against the rules... last i cheked this was an 3d forum and 3d competition... atleast thats what im here for
but anyhow your drawing looks really good... hope the model turns out just as good

KaynSlamdyke
12-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Omg, thats so silly... whats 2d drawing got anything to do with 3d?

I'm pretty sure your ability to draw does crossover with your ability to model well. Certainly, the best modellers I know from my time at Uni have fantastic ability with a sketchbook. And skimming through the winners of previous contests for the low poly contest, I'm impressed at the sheer quality of the concept work there (the Megaman Boss and the Mount + Rider ones in particular) and how well they correlate to the finished products.

While copying a drawing is respectable in my eyes (I still use viewport backgrounds, stock photos and art books as reference throughout all my model making), I'll be more impressed by the person who manages to draw something on thier own and make a model out of that than by someone who traces something already existing.

bb0x
12-09-2006, 01:49 AM
i really dont know how my angel is like....

actually i do but im afraid the idea wont come over..anyways ill think about it a lill' more....if it still doesnt work for my ill do just traditional-ish angel...that is anatomic wise OK

LIKE wings that are about twice the length of the human body AND they dont come out of the back of the body....

how does that work?

anyways :D must be imagination :)

rawk777
12-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Omg, thats so silly... whats 2d drawing got anything to do with 3d?

First of all, if you work as a modeler/conceptor, you'll have to get your concept aproved by your bosses. Sketching something is faster than modeling something. This is the main reason you have to be able to draw : communication purpose.

They can't pay you to model something they won't like.. !

Gabrielpenteado
12-09-2006, 05:05 AM
KaynSlamdyke, you´re making your superior lip bigger than the inferior one, its the other way around

Gabrielpenteado
12-09-2006, 05:06 AM
I think i will join this one, im a completely n00b at organic models, so, what better reason to enter?

Kalango
12-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Nice models so far, unfortunately i cant join this one....damm it...

BiG ToE-3DT
12-09-2006, 06:40 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/bodywires003.jpg

evil-98
12-09-2006, 07:30 AM
looks like i got 3dsmax fixed. i think. so ill give it a goo.

BiG ToE: looks nice but i dont like her boobs at all. i like her from the side more, i think shes got too many curves, etc iono proportions?

BiG ToE-3DT
12-09-2006, 07:55 AM
BiG ToE: looks nice but i dont like her boobs at all. i like her from the side more, i think shes got too many curves, etc iono proportions?

I guess she's just too much woman for you. But your right about the boobies. I just can't get it right. I need to do more research.

monkeyboygarth
12-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Daaaammmmmmnnnnnn! Big Toe! - BABY GOT BACK!

Okay, jokes aside...

It might be what you're going for, but I think your angel's behind is a bit large-ish. Or maybe it's not so much that it's large, but from the side view, the whole pelvis area looks like it's pushed back a bit too much.

Also, with the breasts, they look a bit flattened out, like they have something wrapped around them... is that intentional? (sorry I can't remember seeing your concepts)

It's really close to looking very nice, but to me those couple of things just catch my eye a bit.

Just a note about the boobs - Poopinmymouth has a useful way of getting nice shaped boobs - Using spheres with soft selection to give them nice 'weight'. You can see it in his 'delilah' body modelling vid.

Keep it up!

mashinboo
12-09-2006, 08:03 AM
jumping jehosafet thats a large ride lol

polytweak
12-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Toe - It's not looking too bad, but aside from the boobs and booty, I'd say that her head just doesn't seem to fit well with the body. Either it's not evenly spaced enough with the neck or something, but it just doesn't look right as a whole mesh. Maybe it's still looking manly? Honestly, not sure exactly what the problem is, it just doesn't look right to me. No worries, you're talented...you'll get there.

Just my $0.02

evil-98
12-09-2006, 08:13 AM
I guess she's just too much woman for you. But your right about the boobies. I just can't get it right. I need to do more research.

serious she is too much woman for me, my angel will be a dude is that ok with you guys :halo:

BiG ToE-3DT
12-09-2006, 08:20 AM
make what you want man.

Me, I'm just trying to make what I want in girl. Not sure yet on wings and what not, but something will be back there to hold on to.

DerekSc
12-09-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.3d.sk/

That's a good site to download human references. Actually well worth the subscription fee (just don't forget to cancel after downloading what you need). All the photos are high-res, good lighting, and tons of angles (hands from top, bottom, open, closed, etc...). There's some good high-res free samples you can download right now (caution: nudity... some very good, some very very bad).

evil-98
12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
alright heres my sketch, more of a styled figure but i think i got my side to were i want it but not the front quite yet.

i call it 3d sketching.

http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/evil/angel.jpg
sorry for the small image :ugh:

AbaDome
12-09-2006, 10:46 AM
First of all, if you work as a modeler/conceptor, you'll have to get your concept aproved by your bosses. Sketching something is faster than modeling something. This is the main reason you have to be able to draw : communication purpose.

They can't pay you to model something they won't like.. !

strange... my work atm is to create a visualization for an environment and so far i havent touched a pen and paper... my boss and the client likes to look even the work in progress in 3d pictures. After that they tell me what they thought of it and so on... but im not saying i cant draw... i just prefer not to publish my drawings :o

evil-98
12-09-2006, 10:49 AM
hehe 3d sketching ^^!!

PAPABEAR
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
here is the update of my angel. I have little time doin this, but i hope I can finish this.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/papabearAKO/progress_angel_1.jpg

AbaDome
12-09-2006, 11:25 AM
evil-98 thats exactly right :)

rawk777
12-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Abadome : I guess you know more about it than I do, cause you got hired, but, when I had an interview at ubisoft, I've been asked if I drew regularly. My portfolio has only abstract, so I did not get the job, but I would have got better chances if I had some kick ass drawings...

Evil-98 : Nice! Same style as you batman post on the last comp :) .

***I'm working on a song that fits the angel mood :) Will I get extra points if I post a link of it ? :p

I still can't post anything, its been 3days I get the same message :( here is the message I get :

///There seems to have been a slight problem with the Threedy Forums database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.///

defaultalias
12-09-2006, 01:21 PM
as i progress through learning to draw, i see an improvment in my 3D skills as well. but thats me, everyone learns and acts diferently.
anyways... progress
WIP

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/defaultalias/Dead%20Angel/Angel-1.jpg

still needs arms...

RobRussell
12-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Defaultalias Cant wait to see this one textured, did you ever go back and work on the magdoll btw?

Everyone Else Nice work so far :D Keep it up

And heres my crappy concept had to quick sketch it take a pic with my phone then try and 'pretty it up', had to do this at work so I'll probably get round to making a nice concept to add to the final post. c + c welcome but always feared :p

http://www.geocities.com/crossofiron_uk/angel2.jpg

al3x
12-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm in these are my sketches
I've used an blueprint and modified it in photoshop ..hope its ok
http://www.slibe.com/fullimage/9c04f179-DIangelo__opy_jp.jpg[/URL]

al3x
12-09-2006, 10:34 PM
the head :o I've tried to make it as low poli as posble ;P
there is the hair and de head allso 1100 tris
http://www.slibe.com/fullimage/107d809c-S_reenShot001_jp.jpg[/URL]

defaultalias
12-09-2006, 10:48 PM
RobRussell- when i get some time, i'm going to go back and finish all of my unfinished projects.

Antievo-3DT
12-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey guys!

I never joined in on this challenge before, and now that I am a moderator I believe I will not be able to compete. Never the less, I made a rough concept, and figured I could post it. It's not amazing, but it is something. If I can find the time and willpower to finish the character in 3D, I will surely post it here as well as a WIP, and try to finish in time.

This is Bob:

Name: Bob "The Pencilpusher"
Sex: No, never before marrige. To bad he never got a wife. (That would be a deadly sin.)
Likes: Coffee, Filt-tip pens, The bottom of his pockets and sleeping.
Dislikes: God (his boss), The other angels, People that pray (workload)
Favorite Item: His self-cleaning coffee cup (one of the company benefits.)
Wish he had: Bigger wings, A real Halo and less Bodyfat.
Personality: Passive, Lazy, Grumpy, Boring and Unfriendly.

Bob is an "office angel." There is really no such thing, but when Bob died and went to heaven something went wrong and he ended up with a tiny pair of useless wings way out of proportion to his body. Also, there were no more mini-harps left, so they gave him a coffee cup and two brand new BIC pens. His halo above his head is held up by a stick taped to his back, because he lacked the mind power and devotion to keep it up. Bob spends his days in the office signing papers for God, because he has way to much on his hands as it is with all the humans praying and everything. All in all Bob is not happy with his detailed daily routine and work-schedule, and the fact that he will be doing this job every day for all eternity does not make everyday life in heaven any easier. His work was only supposed to be temporary until God had time to address his issues, but as time went by God found him useful and wanted him to stay. And hey... Who could turn down God in his own house?

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9955/officeangelbobny3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

simple_minded
12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Little update....... Worked on the head for a few.......

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/7529/headrk6.jpg

Good stuff people!

!BAMF!

UM?

!BAMF!

hammering3D
13-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Hello guys :wave:

I make a little schech :D, lool I know how to draw, amazing ... I draw like an untalented 5 yeras kid :D ... but is ok ... U can laugh...it supose to be funny anyway :D

I draw it in photoshop with mouse... :wave:

Antievo-3DT - WOW ... loong time not see... I don't remeber if I congratulate U for becoming moderator, so CONGRATULATION... I'm happy for U but I'm sad U will not longer be in Speed Modeling...it was nice when we have U around ...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6512/hammering3dangellt4.jpg

al3x
13-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Updates
lol hamering ;)) hope u'r modeling it ;)
http://www.slibe.com/fullimage/094802c9-Untitled-2_jpg.jpg[/URL]

lucashug
13-09-2006, 01:19 AM
hi,
i have a question,
how can i do
for render whit directX???
i just do a screenprint???
but whit the screenprint,
i havenot the opacity channel.
thank you.

Grashupfa
13-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Hi

Well nice Concepts ( :smug: ) and wips so far.

Today I started mine too, would be nice if i could get some C+C. If something is wrong with the proportions just tell me, would help me alot :zzz:

Anyway, here is the basic body...(still alot to do)

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3218/testhu5.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testhu5.jpg)

btw. for those who got problems uploading their images (the attachment option is still broken) just visit this site: http://www.imageshack.us/

dimitris
13-09-2006, 01:27 AM
hi guys and congratulations for the incredible jobs ...
i am new to 3d 6 months now so do not laugh about my question...please...when we say 5000 polys is before the smooth modifier or after?
what i;m answering is if i hwve to collapse my stack and count after...thanks again for you understanding.

hammering3D
13-09-2006, 01:52 AM
dimitris - yes after u use mesh smoot, after u colapse the stak...infact for low poly is best not use mssmoot ;P...right guys ?

senatorpain
13-09-2006, 02:31 AM
Okay, since I'm new to this forum I feel I should explain my comment in a little more detail. First off, it was meant in no way to impune anyone. There are some really great artist "all up in this mofo". I realize the wording I chose sounded a bit harsh but, I stand by it. I don't mean that you have to be a Rembrandt to be a good 3d artist, just that a solid grounding in the very basics of your craft is essential to being decent at whatever you do, and especially so in the art field. I know that there are exceptions to every rule as well. There's a reason why you have to go through a six-months to a years worth of design, life-drawing and traditional animation classes before you even touch 3d Studio Max at art school. Drawing skills (along with bow-staff skills) carry over into 3d and to backup Rawk777, ever 3d job I've ever applied for (gaming or otherwise) the recruiters were interested in two things: Examples of work (models, animations etc.) and my sketchbook. And the sketchbook is usually the clincher.
The main reason I said what I did is that "I can't draw" is a cop out. This is a "Your Version of an Angel" contest. It's not your version if it's someone elses. Again there are some great artists in here and a lot of people that have the potential to be great artists and no-one with any potential should be aloud to get away with being lazy. The Senator likes to encourage the constituency. And apparently the Senator speaks in the 3rd person. The Senator is also running on two hours of sleep, hence this long, rambling post. Basically: No one is going to criticize your drawing on a 3d modeling site so you might as well throw down what you got brewin' in your melon. Use drawings you like as reference, that's a good way to get better. If you don't like killing trees (you damn hippies) take a bunch of pics you like into photoshop and make it yours (draw some wings and and a curley mustache on it).
On to the good stuff. I really liked Simple-Minded's Harley model in the last competion. I like the fact that it's not Lara Croft/Blood Rayne (insert generic female game character name here) preportioned. Stick-thin chicks with bowlingball boobs seems to be the standard characteristics for girl game characters. And again nice angel for this competion.
I can't wait to see everbodies WIPs. I've decided I didn't like the first angel I drew all that much so I came up with another design. The first one didn't have enought meat on her bones. So here's my new one:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/MrCleanHatesYou/AngelColor.jpg

Oh yeah! I said nothing of sailing or sword fighting. Plundering and Pillaging are a the cornerstone off pirate life. Well, that rum, and saucy whenches.

BiG ToE-3DT
13-09-2006, 03:18 AM
lucashug: if your a Max 7 or 8 user, then do this: in the material editor, scroll down till you see the direct x option click it. Remember to have the material you want selected when doing this.

Grashupfa: a few things to look at, first, the elbows seems too far down the arm. Should be right above the waist when the arm is to the sides of the body. But the overall length is right on. Speaking of waist, the model's is too thick for me. I think if you scaled it down some it would give the hips more curve and the upper body more of a V shape. Last, the legs, they seem to be the right length, but they also seem to have three parts to it, when it should only have two.

dimitris: for low poly, we don't use mesh smooths or turbo smooths of any kind. That's a big no no.

senatorpain: I like big booty girls, so this new concept gets a thumbs up the butt from me.

hammering3D
13-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Hey ppl ... my wip ---> :halo: ... :roll:

First time trying low poly, and almost first time trying unrwap, I play a litle with it in past but just for simple things special sqware things never on a organic model...so I will learn and improve it till the deadline...no is just play...

Here it is:
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4393/layoutrh6.jpg

RideStowe
13-09-2006, 03:51 AM
HEY TOE,
Actually BBOX has got a really excellent point here. YOUR version does kinda rely on this being YOUR work (substitute "your" for "our own").

Better clarify that before things turn ugly in here. ;)

/plays devil's advocate

if you were to make the argument that using someone elses sketch to make a model didnt constitute it to be your own then i'm guessing that most of the architectural rendering on 3dtotal would apply to this rule as well, as i'm most certain they all didn't design the furniture and architecture of the places but merely modeled, textured and rendered them(which is work enough)

kzinti_Z
13-09-2006, 05:21 AM
http://www.independentamericanenergy.com/temppics/angelbodtop.jpg

kzinti_Z
13-09-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm going to start modding it now and add feathers and wings and reduce some polys.. clean up my lines... and figure out the hair.

kzinti_Z

http://www.independentamericanenergy.com/temppics/angelbod.jpg

Zcubed
13-09-2006, 05:52 AM
/plays devil's advocate

if you were to make the argument that using someone elses sketch to make a model didnt constitute it to be your own then i'm guessing that most of the architectural rendering on 3dtotal would apply to this rule as well, as i'm most certain they all didn't design the furniture and architecture of the places but merely modeled, textured and rendered them(which is work enough)

/questions the comparison

I'm not sure that's really a valid argument. No one here is questioning the hard work and skill that is required to model from a preexisting concept. There are certainly times when straight translation from 2D to 3D is practical, or even necessary. The problem arises when a contest calls for "your version of ____" and contestants decide that they'd really rather use someone else's idea.

Navalhada
13-09-2006, 06:16 AM
http://www.x-mencharacters.com/images/Angel.gif

Navalhada
13-09-2006, 06:27 AM
I started tonight .....i'm sorry i'm brazuka and i dont speak english...
http://br.geocities.com/abctrampo/test-1

evil-98
13-09-2006, 06:55 AM
nice progress everyone, hopefully i can get some work done tonight.
i hate english homework.

senatorpain
13-09-2006, 08:00 AM
I'd have to agree with Zcubed I think that's comparing apples to oranges. Architecture, while still requiring a great deal of artistic skill, is a different beast all together with it's own set of problems and solutions. Yet a lot of architects will still do a rough sketch (or set of sketches) before making an actual blueprint.

u.lewis
13-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey guys nice progress, everyones model its getting there. :) ill see if i can join and pull something together.. !! keep ir up everyone!

Cheers

PAPABEAR
13-09-2006, 11:28 AM
HELLO GUYS!!
HERES MY WIP
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/papabearAKO/wip2.jpg

evil-98
13-09-2006, 11:45 AM
heres my update on the sketch, i think i got it to were i want it now for detailing.

http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/evil/angel1.jpg

dimitris
13-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Ok understood thanks for the reply.
But if u can tell me plz the winner in the past poly challenge ..the assasin one.the images i'm seeing are not mssmoothed?
if they are not this guy desrves a BIG bravo for his work.
thanks again i'll try to make something allthough i think that i'm hopeless... :( .

al3x
13-09-2006, 02:17 PM
My updates :D still lots of touching to do
http://www.slibe.com/fullimage/862b4251-S_reenShot001_jp.jpg[/URL]

Darkegg
13-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi, this is my first time in a competion such as this, so I will know doubt ask some daft questions sp please bare with me, ive lived a sheltered life!

I would like to propose to create an adaption of this concept by an artist called Kieth Thomposon - The Angel of Vengeance ......

angel of vengeance

...... got a nice ring to it dont you think.

Please let me know your views.

lucashug
13-09-2006, 04:08 PM
BIGTOE-3DT : thank you,
for the soluce.

KaynSlamdyke
13-09-2006, 05:26 PM
heres my update on the sketch, i think i got it to were i want it now for detailing.
Quite easily my favorite for this thread. I love it to bits.

Please let me know your views.
Well, there was a large debate over whether or not using someone else's image counts as a "your version" or not. Still, I like the image.

The punch-daggers will be fun to model, but the armour looks like it might eat a lot of polys if you try to make all the detail as actual geometry

Anyhow. I restarted the modelling part of mine. Despite my best efforts, using a photo for the front and a sketch for the side just wasn't going to ever work. So my sister was kind enough to let me take some snaps of her to work on a new version...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/kaynslamdykejournal/pangel01-1.jpg

The lips are, thankfully, so much better on this version. Unfortunately it's about twice the polycount of the other face, and far harder for me to manage the flow for. This section alone is hitting 648, and doesn't even have the rest of the head yet.

If anyone feels like helping me out with pointing out where I can shave some polygons (as well as pointing out flow problems other than under the eyes, as I am fixing those as I type this), I'd be very grateful

Navalhada
13-09-2006, 05:55 PM
lasted update
http://br.geocities.com/abctrampo/final.jpg

KaynSlamdyke
13-09-2006, 06:06 PM
lasted update
It worrys me that he has 784 polygon boots...

He also seems very square. I'm guessing you're box modelling? It's not a bad method actually, but it's something I moved out of when I tried edge extrusion.

Should give a good end result if you smooth some of those very sharp edges.

Soulfrog
13-09-2006, 06:23 PM
*Throwing hat into ring*, *cracking knuckles*... this is gonna be kewl.

Mikademius
13-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Looks very promising. I really like Simple's afroAngel. Keep it up guys !

BiG ToE-3DT
13-09-2006, 07:13 PM
dimitris: he used a normal map. No mesh smoothes allowed.

KaynSlamdyke: hiden geometry shows up on the total polycount, so the boots could be 10 poly's, you never know.

KaynSlamdyke: don't worry about the count in the face till you reach 1,212, which is wear my head is. You have 5,000 tris to play with. Make your model, check the count,then look for areas that could do with some cutting.

BiG ToE-3DT
13-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I went ahead and caved under the pressure, I put my angels booty on a diet. Should be a few weeks till we see any results.

So for now, look at her feet.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/shoeswire.jpg

V3N0M
13-09-2006, 08:13 PM
WTF! 15 pages in 2 days? O.o
Hi there! My first post here, but I've been "watching" some of the contests.
Funny thing is that I was just working on a model of Lucifer(BTW can someone help me with moving textures from Zbrush to max?) and researching angels and devils(also for a book im writing) and came across this thread.

I'm going to ignore Mike-inel's advice from the last challenge and do a big ugly guy. I'll post some text references when I have the time to dig them up (they're in a book about angels... not the Bible, but refering to it). The biblical references I remember off the top of my head refer to something that has four heads (a human, eagle, ox, and ... ?), is covered in eyes, and glows. I know it sounds like a radioactive potatoe, but trust me, it'll be scary. Besides, it looks like if I try to do the sexy angel style I'm going to get smoked by all the other ones that are already in progress. :)
Oh, and he'll have big wings and some sort of massive weapon, rest assured. I think your talking about seraphims or cherubims. If anyone is intersted or just doesn't have ideas just google "angel hierarchy" and you'll find lots of stuff on all types of angels.(BTW did u know that angels are actually the lowest ranked beings in heavan?)
Sorry 4 the long post. I have 1 question: Can we use particle systems? I would really like to make a flaming sword.

Animaleante
13-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Ae Navalhada..boa escolha...o modelo ta bonito...mas parece q vc começou ele com uma box pra corpo....eu tb fazia isso...mas tente começar com um cylinder de 12 ou 8 lados q o resultado fika beeeem melhor...hehe...bolm trabalho

Just explaining to Navalhada the difference between modelling the body from a box and from a cylinder....don't know if he could understand everything in english.....

yokunaru
13-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I was wondering around the forum and saw this contest. I was like sweet I havent had a chance to try a 3d model comp. So here I am in all my glory or something like that. I will be doing a angel clad in knightly armor. Just cause I think it's cool.

http://digitalresolve.org/2d/knightangelsketch.jpg

u.lewis
13-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I went ahead and caved under the pressure, I put my angels booty on a diet. Should be a few weeks till we see any results.

So for now, look at her feet.

LMAO ... lol just though "So for now, look at her feet." is wicked funny :p

man nice progress there! keep it going w00t!
on my side here i havent started the 3d model have been looking at refference everywhere but i will eventually ;)

Cheers :dance: :dance:

dimitris
13-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks alot for your patience...I'm newbie you see.

TryForce
13-09-2006, 10:20 PM
some people here do awesome Concepts or choose awesome ones, well done there =D

but whats bothering me is sometimes the usment of the polyshapes here, some people do really lowpoly and so that it looks kinda blocky and some here do more in midpoly but with some flow wich is wrong. Aww not all here ya! just a few, i may join the next competition cuz i joined another one yet as the subject isnt apealing me much now.

sarN
13-09-2006, 10:26 PM
im going to try and get in on this today, you guys are doing awesome!

Hellhammer
13-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Last night i was doodling around in photoshop trying to come up with a nice concept. Its still on progress, and ill post something about it tonight because i dont have it here at work :P. So far im looking for something between sensuality and might, kind of a mix of both adjectives. A woman that is both erotic and strong. At first i thought about an armored angel, but i really want to put might more through corporal language (attitude) than a strong piece of ornamented metal. Ill see what i can add to it.

BiG ToE-3DT
13-09-2006, 11:21 PM
WTF! I have 1 question: Can we use particle systems? I would really like to make a flaming sword.

sorry, no particles, but you can alpha map those flames if you wish too.

Navalhada
14-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Lasted update "again" ....... hot dog,mcdonald's,milkshake,and....another words
http://br.geocities.com/abctrampo/botas.jpg

KaynSlamdyke
14-09-2006, 01:13 AM
dimitrisKaynSlamdyke: hiden geometry shows up on the total polycount, so the boots could be 10 poly's, you never know.

KaynSlamdyke: don't worry about the count in the face till you reach 1,212, which is wear my head is. You have 5,000 tris to play with. Make your model, check the count,then look for areas that could do with some cutting.

Just Kayn will suffice. :)

Anyhow, I was only making that judgement from what I could see from the frozen feet objects which seemed covered in vertices.

Thanks for the advice though. I just like optimising as I go, rather than optimise right at the end. Currently on 800 poly for the entire head (minus a neck) and will start work on a suitable body soonish.

Not looking forwards to working out how a double shoulder blade will work...

Brazucka
14-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Hi there folks!

A newbie question before I start.
If I model acessories like belt, rings,
and all these stuff separated from
the body, how do I make it pose
with the model?

Thanks.

I´m sketching, soon I´m going
to post something.
;P

simple_minded
14-09-2006, 01:34 AM
you can rig it separate........

!BAMF!

BiG ToE-3DT
14-09-2006, 02:02 AM
If I model acessories like belt, rings,
and all these stuff separated from
the body, how do I make it pose
with the model?

;P

yeah, after your done with all the modeling, you can attach everything to the main model, then rigg it up as one mesh. Or you can do like Simple-minded said, rigg the model, then skin each part on it's own.

lucashug
14-09-2006, 02:33 AM
hi, i begin the modelisation...
big toe, you know why
i cant use the manage attachements of
threedy forum???

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2021/005tz8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BiG ToE-3DT
14-09-2006, 02:37 AM
yes, yes I do. It doesn't work anymore. The guy who does the programming is out. When he gets back, it should all be good

Navalhada
14-09-2006, 03:42 AM
E ai animalente,td bem...qto a eu ter começadu com um box, eh q toh deixandu o modelo bem leve mesmo....eu nem cheguei a ver qual eh a quantidade maxima de faces,mas pretendu fazer esse modelo com menus de 2000,eu achu.
E abraços
http://br.geocities.com/abctrampo/final_1.jpg

Cyrenn
14-09-2006, 05:03 AM
I have to admit, I think this is one of the coolest lowpoly contest yet: ) I haven't been on for awhile but I do stop in every now and then to check out all the new artwork being done, and I'm amazed at th equality thats being produced: ) My hats off to Big-toe and the rest of the 3dtotal crew for creating some awsome new low poly contest: )

Keep the artwork coming : )

Hellhammer
14-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Ok, im home now and this is the first update on my concept for this model. Im still willing to add more stuff, and with this one im tending to go with transparency wrappings, something very silk like. I think it will be an interesting challenge to simulate such appearance, and at the same time it suits perfectly with what i have in mind :). More updates to come. Good job everyone so far :wave:.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5968/angelconceptwip01xj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

evil-98
14-09-2006, 05:18 AM
heres an update with the sketch

http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/evil/angel2.jpg

defaultalias
14-09-2006, 09:07 AM
this is about to make me really upset. i opened my file in maya and my mesh is screwed up. the legs are ruined. does maya make backup files? because i think this one and my three previous are corrupted. if not, i'll redo them and finish. but this sucks :xx:

redglow88
14-09-2006, 10:12 AM
can i still join?

evil-98
14-09-2006, 10:27 AM
yup

Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
14-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I guess I'm going for a kind of Punk Angel kind of thing. I want it to be cute though. Anyway, I'm going to get some sleep. Just thought I'd throw this in while I'm still awake. Maybe I'll finish the modeling tomorrow.

Cheers!

evil-98
14-09-2006, 11:07 AM
pretty cool but hes got some long arms.

so hes got some belts and some new shoes.

http://evil98.insanity-asylum.com/evil/angel3.jpg

gyagyagyerek
14-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Hello!
I am new here. First i must to apoligize for my english!

When i think of an angel and if she is a savior, then she must to have a weapon and armour!

Agent-X
14-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Great work everyone. Please excuse me from not participating till the end, I have been busting my butt on the Blizzard competition. Here is a little sneak peak of work in progress. I hope you guys like. Cheers.
http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/257/d/4/DragonUpdate08_by_ExtremeCreations2001.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39775349/

gyagyagyerek
14-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I just start to make my own!

V3N0M
14-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Here's my concept, sorry bout the quality, I made it with a mouse in Photoshop.
It's from my book, an uplifted angel -a human that became an angel after death- they are the only angels that look old or have scars because they were once mortal, and are highly respected among angels because of this.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Madman_V3N0M/Sketch/angel1.jpg
btw I have 2 more questions: Does it all have to be textured, or can I just use a simple color for clothes and such? Can I have 2 separate entryes, cuz I have an idea for another angel, or will this angel subject be again in low poly chalenges?

Navalhada
14-09-2006, 05:44 PM
http://br.geocities.com/abctrampo/render-final.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
14-09-2006, 06:37 PM
I have 2 more questions: Does it all have to be textured, or can I just use a simple color for clothes and such? Can I have 2 separate entryes, cuz I have an idea for another angel, or will this angel subject be again in low poly chalenges?

you can apply a simple color to the character, but thatwill take away from the voting.

You can do 2 entries, but if either one looks better than the other, I would stick wit that one. You don't want people saying, if you spent more time on one, than doing two, it might look better.

Hellhammer
14-09-2006, 06:40 PM
V3N0M: You can leave a simple color for the texture, but the model wouldnt be complete. The whole idea of making a low poly model is to add the detail through texture due to the polygon count restrictions. If you simply throw a default color the objective wont be achieved, unless the style of the character demands such simplicity, and even with that, shading on your texture is necessary. I think it would be valid to have 2 entries (BiG ToE will tell you anyways), but i think its better 1 very good entry than 2-not-so-cool ones because of rushing against the deadline.

Navalhada: Im not completely sure, but it seems that with the topology you have on your model it will have several rigging problems. Now, you have 5k tris to spare, dont constrain yourself even more by doing it with less than half of that polycount! Id suggest to finish modeling before jumping into texturing. As it looks on your wireframe, it really needs some definition because its way too blocky. Also it wouldn't harm to check some anatomical modeling reference.

Agent-X: Thats a cool model, i really want to try zbrush to do such things :drool: . Is that your version of an angel? Its quite peculiar hehe.

evil.98: I love your proportions! Its looking very cool, the default pose also gives him some nice attitude :).

Nice porgress overall. Im still working on the concept and have new ideas that i will add tonight at home. Keep up the good work everyone :wave:

Agent-X
14-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh I am sorry, I just wanted to show my entry for the Blizzard Art Contest. No thats not my version of an angel, hehe. LOL. Deffinately not 5,000 polygons hehe. my level one res is is like tripple that. I shall be doing an angel come later on. For now I must finish the Blizzard entry. Lots of modeling for me to do on it still. Deffinately not an easy one to do.Very time consuming. :) Take care guys. Keep up the good work. Peace!

V3N0M
14-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Well here's my second concept(still low quality made with mouse)- a new breed of archangel, modernized, tatooed and with a big gun- so... now to choose which one I'm gonna do... any sugestions?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Madman_V3N0M/Sketch/angel2.jpg
Btw can anyone pls help me on getting textures from zbrush to work in max?pls

Grashupfa
14-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I'd go with the first one...cuz we already got alot of girls here
He also has more character than the chick. :)

Not shure, i am no max user, but i'd go to 'textures' and simply exported the texture from zbrush. Then you can easily load it in one of your material slots in max.

mika-chai
14-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone. Wow i just see this challenge. Topic so cool I liked it.
This is my concept, So sorry about picture size because i didn't save before resized picture.
My angel ^__^
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/mika-chai/2dCG/mc001.jpg
I will model her later. >_< Go Go Go!!!
Oh !! thankyou for comment and sugestion!

Darkegg
14-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Keep getting site experiencing problems????? Anyone else experiencing problems?
Not letting me attach pics

lucashug
14-09-2006, 08:49 PM
hi,
AGENT-X , the dragon its
your model for the comp of angel???

mika-chai,
i like reali your design and your draw...
i hope the modelisation and texturing will
be as the same quality of your draw.

see u.