PDA

View Full Version : Comp # 20 ---((Bullet Time))---

BiG ToE-3DT
06-02-2007, 09:32 PM
_Bullet Time_
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g129/DJBiGToE/matrix-bullet-time-trinity.jpg

The idea,
Alrighty then, this is a 4 weeker. The idea is to make a Matrix like scene. Your main character should be doing something, then out of no where something happens to your character and to show what is going on better, bullet time kicks in. For this to look right, you will need to animate a camera as well as your character, thatís why this is a 4 week comp. This can be as easy as one person being shot at, or two people getting down and dirty, throwing kicks and punches. Add music to the scene if you want. Have fun with it. If you donít have a character to animate, you might be able to find one on the net (let us know you didnít model it).

Rules:

- The due date is March 4th, (four weeks and some days from now) a Sunday, 12 midnight (GMT). Voting will be on that following week. Post your final entries in the Final Entry Thread.

- Minimum animation: your animation needs to include a minimum of 5 seconds, with or without music, do more if your bored.
-
- Recommended screen resolution in 320x240 (you can do 640x480 if you want, but why would you). I will.

- You can post W.I.P.s but you are only allowed one complete entry. That link is also final. You can and should post your wipís to get help.

- Websites where you post your finals is up to you.

- Remember, it's about animation, use your time for animation, not to get the best render possible, unless you can afford it.

- Use of plug-ins not allowed. Must be key framed (hand animated)

- Use QuickTime. It will allow everyone to view your hard work, plus it gives everyone the chance to go through your animation frame by frame to see how you did what you did

- You must post a render of some sort with your final entry post; also include a screen grab with key frames.

- Voting will be as follows -
- Vote on what best displays the motion -

First place (3) points
Second place (2) points
Third place (1) points

Good luck!

BiG ToE

Diabolos
06-02-2007, 09:43 PM
yesssssss

BiG ToE-3DT
06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
if everything goes as planned, I will be using a war champion for this animation, but dont hold me to it.

Anyways, I'm think of having cars and stop signs and insurance companys and body parts and stop me please

Diabolos
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
we should have thought of this idea sooner - who thought of this subject - why not sooner..... ;P

D,

RipeX
07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
oh yeah, this comp sounds really cool! :haha:

arneoog
07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Sweet :cool:
Will try to make something for this one too! :)

RipeX, Enda en norsking!!?? :p NŚ begynner det jo Ś kry av oss her! hehe..
Og du er 26 dager yngere enn meg!! Supert!
Oi, er jo lenge siden du registrerte..

Diabolos
14-02-2007, 04:28 AM
chip is moving more than it seems, just bad camera angle......

http://www.mediafire.com/?3mmdydqjnhu

D,

kuriouz
14-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey D, nice character! (as usual) :) and nice bullets.

However i don't think you've captured enough movement in your scene. At the moment its all a little bit too relax... (hm sense of deja vu). He's dodging a bullet therefore his poses should be abit more dramatic. When he's bending back, His arms/ hands are too relax at the side, it should be more spread out to balance himself and there should be some sort of transitional action between standing and bending backwards (the current transitional action is all very linear) - i can draw out a sketch later to show you what i mean.

anyway thats just what i think, no need to listen to me :)

Diabolos
14-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey D, nice character! (as usual) :) and nice bullets.

anyway thats just what i think, no need to listen to me :)

no no, by all means crit away - I listen to and value all of your guys' comments. and character is not mine :xx: its a free rig from highend3d (wouldn't want to take the credit for something I didn't do).

Thanks

D,

ItsaMystery
14-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Looks good so far D!

I like the trails of the bullets; how'd you do that? :P

One other suggestion I'd make is you want to make sure the character's feet are balancing him as well. When he starts to bend back, I'd suggest having one of his feet move back just slightly, just so he's a little more balanced. ;P

Diabolos
14-02-2007, 01:26 PM
hey itsa, for the bullet trails, I attached and emitter to the end of the bullet head, and had it emit blobby s/w particles. I then played with the particle rate, radius, and threshold to get them to stick together. i'll be sure to move his foot back, there is a lot of him to balance, but he is built better than elvis (except for the fingers again).

There is a bullet time tutorial, but I did not like the outcome (eventhough it looked more like the matrix effect, but I figured bullet time does not exist and that was only one interpretation of a bullet trail - so it was open to my own interpretation). Time to go and put the matrix in and frame forward the whole day :haha:

D,

ItsaMystery
15-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Sweet! I figured it would probably be some sort of particle effect. I'll have to try it out perhaps for my idea...;D

Bullet-time sneeze, baby! :haha:

BiG ToE-3DT
15-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I thought it was a shape of some sort with a low oppacity on it. Linked to the bullet, but with a slite rotation applied. Maybe even a bit of a reflection as well.

But I was wrong.

kuriouz
15-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey D, I figured that I'll grab some pictures instead of sketching it. :) After all, Neo does it best!

Notice his posing in the pics below ... okay, so the 2nd pic isn't Neo.. but its a pretty good pose! Anyway if you remember from the movie, he swings his arm back in an arc. If you try to do that in real life, your arms will naturally do that as well (and most likely you'll break your back too). Also it helps if he doesn't bend backwards uniformly/straight. There should be the body tilt to the side, just like when Neo dodges the first bullet.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/6317/matrixbullettimeyw2.jpg
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7592/dodgerp4.jpg

Anyway hope that helps :)

Diabolos
16-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks kuriouz, I am going to work on an update on saturday morning with my cartoons and cereal. I am going to use another character, chip is well rigged, but I think I need someone thinner/lankier, and I forgot that he falls in realtime after the last bullet. I just hope I can use the same bullets (those things take a while to set up)

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()() ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()->

D,

kuriouz
16-02-2007, 02:00 PM
cartoons and cereal? :D hehe thats cute.
well hope to see what you'll churn out on the weekend.

Diabolos
17-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, here we go, just a few small things to iron out, but getting there....sorry for the large file - will make it smaller next time.

D

http://www.mediafire.com/?awztqqn1y1j

Diabolos
26-02-2007, 12:34 PM
is everyone stuck in bullet time?

D,

ItsaMystery
26-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Velleicht...I'm very busy at work right now, so I may or may not make the deadline on this one. We'll see how my work schedule pans out. :haha:'

kuriouz
26-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Unfortunately have been too busy helping my boyfriend move to a new place. There's still alot of work left to do!

Diabolos
27-02-2007, 06:59 PM
My Dad always says "There are ZERO meters for excuses" :haha:

D,

Diabolos
27-02-2007, 07:06 PM
say hello to my lil' friend - a cool new rig from Belyaev Andrey @highend3d

*ribbit* (http://www.mediafire.com/?e2omgdzmtgy) <-- click here

D,

side note - apparently in Germany the frogs go "quak", but i learned in pre-school that they go "ribbit" - always causes a major debate at the bar....

ItsaMystery
28-02-2007, 07:13 AM
My Dad always says "There are ZERO meters for excuses" :haha:

D,
Good thing we're not on the metric system then, eh? ;P

(Just kidding. In all reality, I think it's really dumb that we're not using the metric system here. :hmm:)

Some comments...the jump/and land are the key parts of this animation. I think in the beginning when Herr Frosch is getting ready to jump, his arms need to come down first before going up. Once he jumps, there should be some secondary animation of his arms rising. Similarly, he needs to bounce a little when he lands and have his arms come down to his sides a few frames after he lands. Hope that helps. :wave:

Diabolos
01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
thanks for the comments Itsa.

here is an update :o)

D,

http://www.mediafire.com/?1dxmj3minim

BiG ToE-3DT
01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
D, your using Maya right? does maya have a contraint option?

If so, try this: make a circle spline, make sure your character is centered in the circle. Create a camera, link/constrain the camera to the circle. Should follow the circle over time.

If it works, you will have a smooth motion of the camera.

Diabolos
02-03-2007, 10:43 AM
yes, maya - ok I have added a smooth circular camera, but I have a slight camera shake at the two points where I spliced it in - oh well, does not bother me.

D,

fresh link: http://www.mediafire.com/?1memizjumtx

ItsaMystery
02-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Just thought I'd point out that D had the last post, and this thread's view count was 666. ;P

Diabolos
02-03-2007, 04:09 PM
mawwahahahahahahmawawawahahahahahahahahaaaaaa . <cough> ha

*edit* actually I think "Diabolos" is taking over, I signed my work email earlier today with "D" instead of my normal name, and my colleague just asked me - "who the hell is D"? Try explaining that to someone who does not post in forums or have an online profile. LOL

D,

lloydhooson
02-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Had a go at this today, How long you supposed to develop the animation i spent 2 hours making this. :hmm: http://www.mediafire.com/?9dmjytzftjw

Comment please. The rotations in the bones collapsed on render, into a little ball. Don't know why. :hmm:

Diabolos
02-03-2007, 09:06 PM
welcome aboard - great start. I would have to follow ItsaMystery's crits for my animation, the arms need more movement to propel the body.

D,

BiG ToE-3DT
03-03-2007, 12:05 AM
that mediafire site you guys are using is a great find. No wait for downloads, and it seems free.

I know where I'll be loading my mov, if I ever get time to make one.

BiG ToE-3DT
03-03-2007, 12:12 AM
lloydhooson: ok so at first glance I would have to say the camera move is a bit too fast. I would either slow is down in post production, or just do it in the program your animating in. Second, would be the kick. He needs to really show that he is doing a jump kick. Looking at katate moves can help. But I think all you need to do is start the kick from when he first jumps up.

Last thing, apple users can't open avi files, so we need to render out our animations as mov's. I know, it sucks that we awsome PC guys have to step down to their level, but hey.

Diabolos
03-03-2007, 05:16 AM
that mediafire site you guys are using is a great find. No wait for downloads, and it seems free.

I know where I'll be loading my mov, if I ever get time to make one.

thanks, found it while "googling" - well searching with google anyway. you get to see how many times the file was downloaded - so I can see if you guys are actually watching my clips :crazy:

D,

ItsaMystery
04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
That is a great start! Where'd you get the model? That'd be pretty cool to use, because it's a generic/non-defined humanoid...looks kinda like a mannequin.

I probably won't be producing one for this round, I've been really busy at work. For those of you interested, this is what we're working on at Nihilistic! http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/conan/index.html Check out the videos!

Diabolos
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Looks cool! I, as a HUGE Conan fan, have to say that he would never use magic weapons (I am not sure if those are magic weapons or just particle effects to show a power move), he hates magic with a passion.

D,

Random Fact: Robert E. Howard used to envision or see Conan behind him with a huge battle axe and Conan threatened to chop off his head if he stopped writing...............

ItsaMystery
05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
:haha: I think those screens are just particle type effects.

I have a concern that the German version of the game will be different, due to the different violence laws, so a lot of the blood/gore/violence will be toned down I think. .__.' Hmm...maybe/hopefully there's a full-on M-rated version of the game for adults only.

Speaking of which, it's my birthday today! :E

Diabolos
05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Speaking of which, it's my birthday today! :E

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Don't worry, I drive over the border to Austria and by all of my Violent games there and in English :evil:

D,

ItsaMystery
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks!!! I'm legally an adult now. ;P And verrryyy sneaky, Mr. D xD Good idea though, 'cause you need to play this game in all it's gory glory. :haha:

(Sorry to side-track this thread; I'll get back on topic as of now. :P)

BiG ToE-3DT
10-03-2007, 01:54 AM
ok so I I had this great idea, where one of my characters is walking down the street, doing whatever it is they do best, when BAMF, hit by a car, I would then slow down time and space so that you could see the facial expressions as the character flips over the car and bounces out of frame.

But with the war, I have decided to down size the idea. It will be the stuff that legends are made of.

Diabolos
14-03-2007, 06:42 PM
we seem to be losing steam here - nobody wants to play animation.

<Diabolos> goes and plays in traffic while running with scissors.

D,

BiG ToE-3DT
14-03-2007, 07:04 PM
<Diabolos> goes and plays in traffic while running with scissors.

multi talented. A force to be reackoned with

DerekSc
14-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Perhaps when the war is over and the dead have been counted, we can move on to something else?
This one does seem to have stalled.

kal-el
15-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey! I'm out of time for this challenge. But I'm reading and seeing all your great work's. So Diabolos don't think you are losing steam. ;P

I'm waiting for the next challenge, and I'm in.

Diabolos
15-03-2007, 08:14 PM
multi talented. A force to be reackoned with

thats me, my avatar is the last thing the photographer saw..............ever again ... . . . .. ... . . . .. . .lol - I'm so full of $h1t sometimes.

<Diabolos> throws scissors at BiGToE - tag your IT.

Kal el - glad to hear that.

DerekSC - glad to see you drop by.

D,

DerekSc
15-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey D! I've been lurking a bit lately, sorry. :)
Things have been... weird... in the last little while. I won't go into details.
Hopefully I'll be back in the industry at some point, I'm actually looking for that again, and fate is knocking at my door. Actually, a whole bunch of incarnations of immortality are knocking at my door (love, war, fate, fear, etc...). I may need a new door mat when this is all over.
Once everything gets resolved I'll be back in business here.

Diabolos
15-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey D! I've been lurking a bit lately, sorry. :)
Things have been... weird... in the last little while. I won't go into details.
Hopefully I'll be back in the industry at some point, I'm actually looking for that again, and fate is knocking at my door. Actually, a whole bunch of incarnations of immortality are knocking at my door (love, war, fate, fear, etc...). I may need a new door mat when this is all over.
Once everything gets resolved I'll be back in business here.

for some reason I think i know what you are going through and I replaced that door myself last year. hang in there. read some BiGToE and inven1o posts - they are funny.

D,

BiG ToE-3DT
16-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I guess we should start talking about what to animate next. Or, we could just wait till the war is over, then start the next comp. Or, we do both, talk about what's next, and do it after the war is history, and Threedy is standing on mounds of it's enmey.

DerekSc
16-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I dumped a whole bunch of ideas last time, but the one I remember thinking would be fun was "something unexpected happening to a pizza delivery guy". I don't remember the others and I'm lazy. So there. :)

Diabolos
16-03-2007, 11:50 AM
ok so I I had this great idea, where one of my characters is walking down the street, doing whatever it is they do best, when BAMF, hit by a car, I would then slow down time and space so that you could see the facial expressions as the character flips over the car and bounces out of frame.

But with the war, I have decided to down size the idea. It will be the stuff that legends are made of.

I dumped a whole bunch of ideas last time, but the one I remember thinking would be fun was "something unexpected happening to a pizza delivery guy". I don't remember the others and I'm lazy. So there. :)

combine them........pizza boy hit by car.........

D,

kal-el
16-03-2007, 03:57 PM
jajajaj Diabolos you make laught, man jajaja :dance: I like the idea of the pizza boy being hit by a car.
I vote that Idea.

but (you can imagine) I'm a being fun of superheroes (I have a radio programm about it, but's that another story :smug: ), so.... (I know you do before the "spider animation") I have the Idea of a superheroe Flying... and he/she have to do something...

what do you think?

Seb-Lev
25-03-2007, 10:04 PM
hey BiG ToE-3DT, people with Apple computers can view AVI files... I have a couple of macs and I can view them on all of them... All you have to do is download Divx for mac... heres the link -> http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

and yeah I'm just wondering right now If theirs gonna be another challenge? Because this one is over if I'm right and it's been a while so I was just wondering when the next one is gonna start.

BiG ToE-3DT
25-03-2007, 10:25 PM
thanks for the link, now you apple guys can hang with us.

As for the next comp, hould start within the next week or so. I still want to do my bullet time one, just need to get my final entry stuff together for the Dom War.

Also, I need to go threw all the new ideas and pick one that everyone liked the best, then we can start.

Seb-Lev
26-03-2007, 02:13 AM
haha ok sounds great lol good luck in the war I saw your stuff and It was great... and I can't wait for the next animation comp... It's gonna be my first time trying animation so I can't wait to learn....

BiG ToE-3DT
26-03-2007, 02:53 AM
dont wait, try your hand at this one.

ItsaMystery
26-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I actually have a plugin now for Quicktime that allows me to view .avi files in Quicktime itself, so that I don't need to use another program to view them. ;P

I will try and find the name of it, 'cause I'm forgetting all of a sudden.

Edit: Here it is - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx :haha:

BiG ToE-3DT
27-03-2007, 04:27 AM
ok, I tried to do my little idea, but it's not working out, so screw it.

Some one pick and idea that was tossed out, and we can get started.

ItsaMystery
27-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Something martial arts related! -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BTqr6nIzs&mode=related&search=

Or...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXPFgRsVUE&mode=related&search

Or even...http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/clip-the-street-fighter-salsa-246973.php

gdemo.s5.com
27-03-2007, 10:50 AM
maybe title it "the delivery" and it keeps it pretty wide open

kal-el
27-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Yes. I vote to "the delivery". And with a few rules (like no more than 3 persons in the scene, no more than a minute.... some stuff like that). :roll:

If we try to think another "post", we will be discussing and don't start with nothing. ;P

Buts mi idea.... what do you think?.

BiG ToE-3DT
28-03-2007, 12:23 AM
ok, so what are the idea for this next comp

specail delievery

is everyone cool with that.

Diabolos
28-03-2007, 02:21 AM
i'm coooool wit dat.........

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/diabolosgermany/special_delivery.jpg

BiG ToE-3DT
28-03-2007, 03:10 AM
ok then, delivery it is, just give me some time to get it started.

papusmash
30-03-2007, 01:50 AM
nice challenge !!!