PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge 152 & 153 - Toothbrush Redux

Marty_McFly-3DT
31-05-2007, 02:59 AM
1, Each week we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive.

How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief will be removed and the poster disqualified.

2, You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified. You may not have your Kart Driver make your model for you... you must create the model yourself from scratch.

3, Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframes we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified.

4, You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information will be removed and the poster disqualified.

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 800x600 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 100k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified. Until the image uploading issue is solved, you may use a file hosting service to compete in the challenge... but the image and file size requirements remain intact. Make sure to use the [IMG] tags when you post your links in your posts.

6, The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7, Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable.

8, Posting the same entry twice in a challenge will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions

Time limit - 90 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 13th of June 2007
Subject - Toothbrush Redux

Toothbrush Redux: Well the last challenge wasn't a great success... so I changed my plans for a Karts Part 3 challenge. :hmm: Instead I'm going with something more close to home. For this challenge, you are to model out both a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste. I think the time limit is pretty generous... so hopefully people won't be scared off this time... :ugh:

Have Fun and Good Luck!

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8219/tp2mp6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ClassicGamer-3DT
31-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Well I thought that the 3rd part of the Kart SMC's would have probably have been the most popular, my thoughts were that we might have had an SMC to model out a track or environment for the karts & drivers. But I can understand the choice to abandon it, as last week was a poor turnout.

So I really think that this will be an excellent SMC topic, not only is it a very generous time limit like you said, but I also think that lots and lots of people will be able to compete in this one.

I love your starter Marty, you've got a very nice render there, and a cool modelling stages. And also you've got Beaker from the Muppets :) :) "Mi Me Meeee"!!!!!! lol

Well i've got a checkup at the Doctor's on Monday to see how my arm is. It was a mild fracture, which was set with a supporting plinth, I didn't need a plaster cast. So hopefully maybe by Tuesday or Wednesday i'll be able to have a go with this SMC.

If not, i'm positive i'll be able to try the week after, being another 2 week SMC.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with, and Good Luck to all who enter!

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Daye
31-05-2007, 03:33 AM
We all know that organic modeling is MUCH tougher than it's mechanical
counterpart. That alone likely pushed a lot of folks away. However, the
rigging required to get the driver into the cart without screwing up the
underlying mesh was the big killer for me.

While doable, the time required to do it correctly would have easily
exceeded the modeling. :hurt:

I personally enjoy the organics more than the mechanicals, they just
take longer to do :)

Got a laugh from me on Beaker showing up in the example :)

-daye

Pablo Ferro
31-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Cool! I will participate on this one!!!!!

Killer model marty :)

dudeman
31-05-2007, 04:23 AM
W00t!

I had missed the original toothbrush competition, although I remember attempting to make one back then.

I'd love to enter this one!

Rachel vd M
31-05-2007, 10:26 AM
nice challenge, im gonna have a go.
btw.

does that 90min include textures/rendering/rigging(:haha:)?

and....

is humour or realism the most inportant? (maybe a bad question, muhahaa:evil:)

edit:

i already made a track+movie before the 1st challenge ended, this is a picture of the track, and no, this is not my toothbrush entry
(so if u need to, feel free to remove the picture:dance:):

NO ENTRY down here NO ENTRY down here NO ENTRYdown here

dudeman
31-05-2007, 11:55 AM
nice challenge, im gonna have a go.
btw.

does that 90min include textures/rendering/rigging(:haha:)?

and....

is humour or realism the most inportant? (maybe a bad question, muhahaa:evil:)

What, you're gonna rig your toothbrush?!

90minutes is always just the modeling.

Oh and humor is one way to get there, the other is realism. Take your pick! (or combine them! :) )

Honki
31-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Rachel.

That image reminds me of an old game I used to play on the computer when I was a kid. It was called 'Slix n Slide' or something like that.

theaquarianspac
31-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I was so looking forward to Part 3 being my first post. I only found out about the second Part recently, so I figured that Part 3 would give me time to get both kart and driver done. Oh well, this one looks cool.

Rachel vd M
31-05-2007, 02:58 PM
What, you're gonna rig your toothbrush?!

maybe i will, but in an alternative way :evil:

b3ta
31-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Good decision Marty :) - I too had missed this the first time round - hope I can find time to take part this time :)

BTW Rachel vd M You have some nice work on your site, and I really enjoyed the Freakish Stuff movie - genious !! :)

Look forward to seeing some good works this week...

Hermes
31-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi there everyone!
I also was hoping for this challenge to be the kart racer pt3, but toothbrush is no bad subject. I'm i'm in for this challenge.

Marty: i like your model and your brand logo it's awesome! retro is in! lol

Good luck to everyone!

ClassicGamer-3DT
31-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Well the great thing about the texturing is that you can do that separatly, so i've managed to make my own packaging artwork, i've tried to copy the Colgate Cavity Protection artwork, i've completly designed mine from scratch too. all with layers in Photoshop CS2. Then i'm put Classic G instead of Colgate, and Threedy SMC instead of Flouride Toothpaste lol :)

I just need to be better to model out the scene in time now. Plus, it's weird texturing with the other hand, strangely I made my textures better with my left hand lol.

I hope to see some entries soon.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

mimi01
31-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi everybody!!

My first toothbrush and paste :)

90 minutes is a lot of time. Great challenge.

Hope you get well soon, ClassicGamer.

Modelling time: 90minutes
textures, render and lights: about 90 minutes again
3dsMax9

Rachel vd M
31-05-2007, 10:23 PM
i made a tooth brush,
moddeling:45min's :dance:
software: 3ds Max 9.0
the rest: too mutch

EDIT:
reuploaded image

Hermes
31-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Mimi01: your model i great, i really like it.

Rachel vd M: hahaha you took a laugh out a me with this one! it's so very funny, cool idea.

Mine will have to wait. Maybe by the afternoon, if not, probably till weekend. *sigh* tons of work this week.

Hermes

VersionThirst
01-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I think I had more fun with this than I would have with a Kart part 3 :lame: Great entries so far!

bb0x
01-06-2007, 03:50 AM
ma first time doing a SMC on threedy so if i broke any rules..im srry :(

http://bbox.sylorn.com/images/random/brushy.jpg

I used cinema 4d. I used hypernurbs(mesh smooth) on the tooth brush... but since I needed to use booleon on it I needed to make it editble. so sry for that...
The fibers of the brush theirselves is made with the hair plugin.

the necklace and grill is just for fun :)

ill
01-06-2007, 07:17 AM
So, this is my first entry ever, hope everythings fine and you like it a bit

edit: sorry
I used 3dsmax 8 and VRay as renderer
http://www.geocities.com/theill182/toothbrushloqual.jpg

ArtGoblin
01-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Heck yeah! I'm gonna participate in this one. I think the idea of tying toghether two or more challanges is a good Idea, but sadly I think it had a discurraging effect on me this time, becouse I didn't take part in the first Kart challenge, so I didn't feel I had the time to do two challenges at once. But as for this one..... it's nice and simple! Me likes it a lot!

dudeman
01-06-2007, 01:25 PM
nicely done bBox, I don't think I would use a toothbrush that spiffy to brush my teeth though :p

ClassicGamer-3DT
01-06-2007, 01:39 PM
excellent entries by all!!

Good/Bad news everyone i'll be able to model again by Tuesday!!! Yay/Boo (Whichever outlook you have on my modelling ability) lol

Keep the entries coming guys, there really cool.

I'll be able to bring out the comments page again soon too, with any luck :)

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

tokai
01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
So, this is my first entry ever, hope everythings fine and you like it a bit

Do not forget to mention the software you used.

dudeman
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
excellent entries by all!!

Good/Bad news everyone i'll be able to model again by Tuesday!!! Yay/Boo (Whichever outlook you have on my modelling ability) lol

Don't go on the megalomaniac tour now boy :p

I hope you get your butt back here soon, I need at least some competition to motivate me into making a toothbrush. :)

ClassicGamer-3DT
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Don't go on the megalomaniac tour now boy :p

I hope you get your butt back here soon, I need at least some competition to motivate me into making a toothbrush. :)

He he :)

I hope it's worth the wait then :)

I'll definately be modelling soon :dance:

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Daye
02-06-2007, 02:58 AM
maybe i will, but in an alternative way :evil:

You can always have your Kart Driver model the toothbrush :)

Marty_McFly-3DT
02-06-2007, 04:08 AM
You can always have your Kart Driver model the toothbrush :)I'm sorry... but that would be a violation of rule number 2 of the challenge and would lead to a disqualification. :xx:

Marty

Hermes
02-06-2007, 04:28 AM
I'll definately be modelling soon
Excellent! we need some movement here! hehe

Hey Daye, i see you managed finish your fox kart driver, right? looks nice on your avatar.

Nice entries so far people!

Daye
02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Marty- As long as you clearly indicate the additional geometry
wasn't modeled within the time period, shouldn't be an issue :)

Hermes- Yeah that's about how I wanted her head to look for the driver
competition. I kicked around the idea of doing the fur, but I'll
see about a toothbrush first I think :)

Rachel vd M
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
2. You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified. You may not have your Kart Driver make your model for you... you must create the model yourself from scratch

lol, but now if i make a new cart driver that makes toothbrushes is that ok?

Marty_McFly-3DT
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmm... a Kart Driver that makes toothbrushes? Umm... Yeah... I guess that would be ok. :smug:

Marty

sylvio
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi,

this is my second post in the Threedy Forums SMC challenges, first one wasn't that good because I had no reply :smug:

I'm just modelling when I have some free time so please, don't be too rude and I'll have too work a lot on textures and lights in the futur...

Cheers.

http://www.sylvio.fr/3d/smc/smc_152_final.jpg

Marty_McFly-3DT
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Well we're glad to have you back... and don't worry... rudeness is not in our vocabulary here at Threedy. :)

Marty

b3ta
03-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Hopefully this week will be a good one - nice subject and all :D

Some comments so far...

Marty - Nice starter as always - especially like the toothpaste tube

mimi01 - VERY good entry there - great attention to detail and a very clean render

Rachel vd M - lol - nice idea - i used to love wile E. Coyote cartoons :)

VersionThirst - a nice composition, I have struggled with that on mine - i like your a lot - good job

bb0x - unique! and very bing :)

ill - Welcome to the forums - I must admit Im not here as much these days, but i usually look in - good to see new peeps! - and a very solid entry i think - good model and render

sylvio - good work fellow! - very clean hygenic styled render - a solid entry i think

Well, I'll post my entry soon - just gotta upload it somewhere... :)

b3ta
03-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Well, here goes! - This will probably be my only entry, don't have much time these days, but wanted to have a go! - Bit of a poor result I'm afraid - but I'll post anyway! Comments / crits welcome :)

http://www.steveg.co.uk/smc/toothbrush_entry.jpg

Daye
03-06-2007, 05:13 AM
While I'm motivating myself to do a toothbrush, thought I'd throw out some
comments. I'm not nearly as thorough as Classic is, but I'll give it a shot.

Marty- Clean design. Your own or a reference model used ? How many polys
did the final tube end up becoming ?

Mimi- Lots-o-detail. It's nice to have 90 minutes to do this with :) Very
clean mesh. Even modeled the little holes in the head of the
toothbrush !

Rachel- I've been playing around with the toon ink shaders a bit myself. I
like how they turn out. Eats a lot of rendering time in XSI though.
How's it effect the render speed in Max ? Another clean mesh.

Have you all figured out I get a kick out of efficient / clean meshes yet ? lol

Version- Another nice clean mesh here. Someone's going to have to model
a serious object or it's going to be very tough to judge these.

bb0x - Liked the way the model turned out but make sure your wires are
unsmoothed. The more I see of C4D, the more I like what it can
do.

ill- Clean mesh. I'm kicking around the mechanical variety as a design
as well.

Sylvio- Welcome to the forums :) Another clean mesh. Don't worry about
your lighting and texturing. It's nice to practice them and can
generate an ' oooh . . . aaahhh ' but the judges are simply looking
at the modeling :)

B3ta- Nice entry. Clean mesh. Pretty nice render. That a Lightwave
native render or are you using F-Prime or something similar ? I
used LW from v2 to v7.5 before I switched to XSI so I'm curious
what folks think of the newer versions. I still hate the fact that
the modeller and renderer are separate entities.

Is all for now. Going to go stare at my toothbrush and decide if I can
detail it to my liking within the 90 minute timeframe.

praveen3d
03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
wow, nice topic & great entries. definitely gonna give it a try :)

-------------------------------------
www.praveen3d.spaces.live.com

b3ta
03-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Daye, thanks for your comments :) - In answer to your questions - I'm using FPrime for my render - I would say that Lightwave 9.0 has some very nice features compared to earlier versions, but the one I'm really impressed with is version 9.2 (currently beta) lets you see depth of field in OpenGL, and has some very nifty cameras in there too! - worth checking out for definate :) - Still two separate apps - modeler and renderer, but they're getting more closely integrated - Looking forward to seeing your entry :) :) :)

misiopuchatek
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey girls and boys :)
I've missed the first toothbrush challenge so I'm happy to challenge in this one :D
Some nice entries I can see :)
mimi like Your models :) Nice paste and brush as well :) Render is either very nice :)
Rachel lol :D
ill Very nice brush and this metalic color...great :)

OK my turn :)

Lightwave
90 mins - 50 minutes for brush and 40 for paste.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3954/speedbrushfg3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I hate compression so here (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finalbrushif6.jpg) is without it.

Enjoy :)
And waiting for c&c :wave:

Daye
03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
would be quite handy to get realtime feedback of your depth of field
without having to tweak / test / tweak / test / etc.

I have the toothbrush done, am starting work on the toothpaste now.
Should have it posted by the end of the day.

-Daye

ClassicGamer-3DT
04-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Wowzers! soem excellent entries so far, I have to say misiopuchatek's entry is very cool, great split toothbrush, and a great toothpaste tube, stunning render aswell :)

Did you re-create the Colgate texture or find one on the web, i'd looked myself for a decent quality texture of Colgate, but I couldn't find one, so i've made my own high res textures for my entries, and because they are based on the Colgate designs, I changed them to Classic G lol.

Get a checkup tommorow about my strained wrist, withany luck i'll be able to start modelling again soon.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

misiopuchatek
04-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks CG :o :o :o :o :o

Colgate texture (http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=00833_toothpaste_color_122_1060lo.jp g) is partly scan - I have this toothpaste but not empty yet so there was a little problems scanning it (It is really hard to put toothpaste again to the tube :D) - and partly hand make :)
I redraw texts and some logos, clean colors etc.
The side text is actually not the real Colgate toothpaste text. I copied few informations from Colgate website :D
But the bumped (http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=00823_toothpaste_bump_122_886lo.jpg) numbers on the tube are the same like on my "home" toothpaste :D
Toothbrush texture (http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2871/toothbrushcolormz2.jpg) is made by hand from the scratch, except for the Oral-B logo :) I also made specular (http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/640/toothbrushspeculareo3.jpg) and the bump (http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8128/toothbrushbumpch5.jpg) map.

Waitin' for Your entry CG :blah:
:wave:

ClassicGamer-3DT
04-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Great stuff, :dance: here's my toothbrush textures i've already created

Everything you see here was achieved in several layers within Photoshop CS2.
If anyone would like to know how I went about creating these textures i'll gladly share my method(s) there's nothing special to it, but it might helps some people if they want to know, if you do just mention it on here anytime.

I too couldn't find the exact Colgate text used, so I just ended up making my own textures completely from scratch. It's really a great feeling to start with a blank layer and re-create something.

Here's my textures, the first is based on the texture of your colgate you've used actually, I made this on Friday evening. The second was completely on Saturday afternoon. and the third was made today about 3pm. The 3rd being mainly white as I plan to have the 3rd one the tube of toothpaste itself. The other two designs will be on toothpaste packing boxes if I get time :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/3DJohn/ClassicGamer-3ToothpasteDesigns.jpg

i've not created any specular or bump maps for them yet. I'm also going to try out the IBL route of lighting IBL meaning Image Based Lighting with just A HDRI and GI, not lights at all. I've had plenty of time to think about what I want to create too, i've got a definate 3 entries thought out. Just gotta get the all clear tommorow morning. Then they'll be a sudden rush of entries all at once from me :)

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

P.S - If this is by anyway breach of posting rules, by posting up my textures, i'll gladly remove them. Just thought i'd show what i've got so far before tommorow's chekup.

Daye
04-06-2007, 03:40 AM
My entry into this weeks challenge.

Electric toothbrush based on the one I use.

Time consuming portion of this were the bristles ( done with XSI hair ) and
selecting all the #@%$_ polys on the cap in alternate rows to extrude out
for the cap edges.

Everything else was born a cylinder primitive.

I was lazy when it came to the toothpaste texture. Photoshop, one tube
of toothpaste and a Nikon D-50 pretty much handled it :)

Classic- Lemme know how long C4D takes to chew through an image
based lighting setup. XSI does it fairly well, unless I really crank up
the final gathering sampling. Throw hair, depth of field and bump up the
AA and you can go eat dinner and check on it later :)

( I gave up on the DOF after the system was still thinking about starting
the render after twenty minutes . . . )

** Re-rendered and uploaded the entry since mine seemed to vanish after
the server moves. :) **

-Daye

rawk777
04-06-2007, 07:09 AM
I already rendered an animation with xsi (depth of field and fog enabled), wich has 2000 frames. I used about 60 computers (1Ghz cPU) for 2 weeks (60 by night and about 30 by day), and only got something like 1200 frames.

Anti-Aliasing was about min 1 max 4 (maybe a bit more), and there was a bumpmap on the model.

lol.

Hermes
04-06-2007, 07:53 AM
There are really good entries this challenge.
Hope i'll be able to model something this week.

sylvio: good entry, a simple model that works fine.

b3ta: i really like your entry, a simple a clean model and a good render.

misiopuchatek: very impressive, your model has lots of detail, i specially liked the rubber bristles

cool textures ClassicGamer!

Daye, i also like your entry, and, hey, i would like to see that fox driver when completed.

Good luck everyone and regards.

ClassicGamer-3DT
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Yay, been to the Dr's this morning (9.15am here, went in at 8.20am) and he's said there's no permanant damage and no nerve damage, it's just bruised rather badly now. So i'm ok to model and use my hand & arm as normal now.

About time too lol.

I'm off to model right away!

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

sylvio
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
thanks for your comments guys, and congrats for all entries posted so far !

Marty_McFly-3DT
04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Yay, been to the Dr's this morning ... and he's said there's no permanant damage and no nerve damage... So i'm ok to model and use my hand & arm as normal now...Now that's funny... "Excuse me Doc, but can I go back to modeling now? I'm having withdrals." :smug:

Marty

ClassicGamer-3DT
04-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Now that's funny... "Excuse me Doc, but can I go back to modeling now? I'm having withdrals." :smug:

Marty

LOLOLOL yeah, it's was a bit like that in my head, I was thinking come on come on, I've got all these idea's and I wanna model them out.

I didn't mention it to him though :)

Well i've got 3 entries modelled out since this morning, the time is being taken up with renders, compositing and screengrab wireframes and the like. Renders are taking a while, i've already tried 6 for one entry, their not long renders, but 6 in a row for one enty takes time.

All being well, i'll have 3 in a row posted up tonight.

With any luck anyway :)

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

H2O-3DT
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
b3ta
Nice work there. Good model and presentation.

misiopuchatek
Well made and nice render,thumbs up.

Time - 70 minutes.
3DMax 8, Mental Ray.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/H2O_07/ToothBrushSheetSmall01.jpg

Daye
08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
It seems the server move killed any images that were uploaded to the former
server. ( Ala, my entry )

I'll have to re-render it since I don't have a copy laying about. :|

Unrelated note, anyone here use an Nvidia 8800 series gfx card within
their 3D application of choice ? ( Max, Maya, C4D, Lightwave, XSI, etc )

I replaced my aging 6800 Ultra with an 8800 GTX and XSI just has fits with it.
When I can get XSI to run at all, the viewport FPS is single digit numbers
when I try and move the camera. Apparently, the 8800 OpenGL drivers are
not quite ready for prime time.

Went ahead and wiped the drive and installed XP ( 32bit SP2 ) from scratch.
Loaded the current drivers for the card and installed XSI. No good. LOL

My LAPTOP and it's mobile Geforce FX Go5200 outperforms the new card
within XSI :)

I'm guessing it's Nvidia and their drivers. Will have to wait on new ones I
suppose. Was just curious if anyone else ran into the issue.

-Daye

rawk777
08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Lots of good entries. I'll post mine soon (I'll wait to see if the attachements/upload issue will get fixed soon).

Daye - Have you tried directX instead of OpenGl ? I'm not sure XSI runs on DX, but some cards ared better with DX than O-GL .

b3ta
08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Hermes Thank you for your comments :D

H2O Good to see you're still about! - Thanks for the comments :D - I do like the texture and bump you've got on your toothpaste tube - the crimping is spot on, I wasn't so sucessful on that bit with mine :D Also, the bristles look very good - how did you do them? I made mine manually! - Not the best use of time :P

Classic I think you'll need to post your entrys again? I'm thinking the forums were copied to their new location before the final few posts?! - Who knows !!! :P

rawk777
08-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Funny one Iro-Bot3

Here is mine, Done in 45 min. There is not much details on the mesh, but the idea is to show something near the final result in the shortest time period, so I kept it simple.

b3ta
08-06-2007, 08:44 PM
iro-bot3 LOL! - that would do the job alright!! - nice entry - you might want to see if you can get it inline as opposed to a link - might be DQ'd otherwise :|

rawk777 That is a very sharp render - nice work, the toothbrush model is great, Im impressed :D

iro-bot3
08-06-2007, 09:05 PM
um yea finally got it to show my picture.

3dsmax8
80 Min

Marty_McFly-3DT
09-06-2007, 02:07 AM
iro-bot3: You have to delete your post #55 as it would count as a double post. The reason you could not get your image to show is because you attached 2 images. If you want to share your inspiration or reference images... then edit your real entry and just post a link to your non-entry images. :)

Marty

iro-bot3
09-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Thanks i fixed it. :wave:

here is my reference image 10 horse power (http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/11500/Oral-G-Toothbrush--11765.jpg)

misiopuchatek
09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
H2O welcome back :) Thanks for kind words :)
It is really something to hear some nice words from such a modeler like You :)
Btw very I mean VERY clean render :D Too clean for me ;)

rawk great brush I like it :D Nicely done :)

iro :haha:

Here's my second entry.
Lightwave
80 minutes(50 brush+30 paste)+10 for tweaking.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4372/speedvd2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Enjoy :wave:

praveen3d
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice modeling there misiopuchatek,H2O:)

here's 1st my entry.
Modeled in Max 9, Textures were made in Ps
C&C welcome :)

ClassicGamer-3DT
09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Wow so many cool entries now that's we back online. Ill re-upload my 3 entries next

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

ClassicGamer-3DT
09-06-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Entry Re-Uploaded.

All information on the composite.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

ClassicGamer-3DT
09-06-2007, 04:27 PM
2nd Entry Re-Uploaded.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

ClassicGamer-3DT
09-06-2007, 04:28 PM
3rd Entry Re-Uploaded.

So cool to see everything back to normal. I love this place :)

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

P.S - When I get chance, sometime over the weekend, i'll definatly be bringing out the comments page, there are some brilliant entries that deserve a good comment of two :)

DarkBoost
09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
ClassicGamer Nice entries man, looking awesome as always !

h2k1
10-06-2007, 03:22 AM
ive been looking this week for smc, but servers were down...im so happy they re up now :dance: nice entries so far

praveen3d : awesome work, love what u did from the star and the spline! nice!
CG : as always, some masterpieces :D loved the last one, that toothpaste looks awesome!

Milan
10-06-2007, 05:56 AM
o very nice entries guys
gammer your all entries r cool man
praveena u r nice too

H2O-3DT
10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
b3ta
Thank you very much.
I created the bristle using 'Hair and Fur'in 3Dmax.
From the poly "grow map/base" i used the 'Hair/fur'to generate the splines i needed for the bristle.
Height and curvature was adjusted with free form deformers.

praveen3d
Thank you.
Very nice entry from you this week, and a cool wire "how 2 do".

ClassicGamer
Great entry's this week from you, as usual . The Third one is my favorite. Love the renders.

ClassicGamer-3DT
11-06-2007, 08:34 AM
b3ta
Thank you very much.
I created the bristle using 'Hair and Fur'in 3Dmax.
From the poly "grow map/base" i used the 'Hair/fur'to generate the splines i needed for the bristle.
Height and curvature was adjusted with free form deformers.

praveen3d
Thank you.
Very nice entry from you this week, and a cool wire "how 2 do".

ClassicGamer
Great entry's this week from you, as usual . The Third one is my favorite. Love the renders.

Thank you very much, I love your entry so very well made, excelent clean modelling and I adore the brush layout, i'd tried to make the brush bristles like that myself but gave up the first time.

When I get chance i'll comment on everyone's entries properly soon.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Hermes
11-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow! 3d forums up again! that's nice.

Great entries so far people!

rawk77: nice entry, very clean model

iro-bot: lol, your mechanical toothbrush it's a very fun idea

misiopuchatek: great toothbrushes, i like them very much!

praveen3d: i like your entry, simple and clean model and a great render!

classicGamer: fine entries as always, great textures, though i would say your two first tooth paste tubes are kinda weird-shaped.

Well, this is my entry, i think it'll be my only entry this week, hope you like it, comments are most welcome. Done in 3dsmax, specs on the image.

-lostKid

ClassicGamer-3DT
11-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow! 3d forums up again! that's nice.

Great entries so far people!

classicGamer: fine entries as always, great textures, though i would say your two first tooth paste tubes are kinda weird-shaped.

-lostKid

I know what you mean, I tried experimenting with different toothpaste tubes, and only really cracked it on Entry #03 :)

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Hausdepp
11-06-2007, 05:08 PM
hello guys here at threedy forums :)

This is my first post here. I want to say welcome to everybody here. My name is Jonas and I am from Bavaria in Germany. I am 16 years old and studying at the moment at a german school. My aim is to study graphics/design or something like that. I am using cinema 4d and gimp for postwork. I have been doing 3d since september last year.

As I promised ClassicGamer at 3dattack, I will have a look over here at threedy forums and participate in the SMC challenges. I have seen your work here and I must say I am very amazed of this high quality which is made here.

Here is a first start from me:

castaneda
11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi all, this is my first time here, hope my picture follows all the rules :)

EDIT: Added picture with image tags, due to some of the entries disappearing...

http://www.chriscastaneda.com/galleries/3dartwork/images/toothbrush_03.jpg

Hermes
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I know what you mean, I tried experimenting with different toothpaste tubes, and only really cracked it on Entry #03Agree, nr. 3 has a more "natural" looking to me.

Hausdepp and castaneda: welcome to 3d forums! You got quite nice entries there both of you, good modelling and rendering, keep it up!

-lostKid

ClassicGamer-3DT
11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Hausdepp - Glad you made it, excellent first entry too, for saying you've only been modelling since last september, you've got to a higher level than I did when I first started out in 3D. And i don't just mean you're clean modelling either, you're texturing and lighting is way better than mine was at such an early stage of learning 3D. Great work really, I hope to see alot more from you.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Ojah
11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
hey there, finally had some time for an entry.
Actually this is my second entry, but the first one crashed max after i accidentally put a meshsmooth on 5....
anyway, this time went quite wel (as i already had made the design before) but my sense of time was a bit off... so i stopped after 60 minutes :).
One minor thing: i collapsed the tube model during modelling (not by choice, just another accident), so its wire seems smoothed, but really isnt.

Seems i got the same toothbrush as castaneda ;)

castaneda
12-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Seems i got the same toothbrush as castaneda ;)
yeah but mine's better because it's blue ;P hehehehe...

castaneda
12-06-2007, 10:18 AM
new entry :D please tell me how you like it

EDIT: Added picture with image tags, due to some of the entries disappearing...

http://www.chriscastaneda.com/galleries/3dartwork/images/toothbrush_05.jpg

f02150
12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
First time entering. So here is my rendering. critics are welcome. pointers are a plus too.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/f021501/toothbrush.jpg

Hausdepp
12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
thank you very much Hermes and ClassicGamer :)

mimi01
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Hello everybody!!

Wonderful entries!

My seccond and last one:

modelling time: 90min
textures, lights and render: about 40min
3dsmax9

praveen3d
13-06-2007, 10:43 AM
thankyou hermes,h2o,milan, h2k1

classicGamer - Again, some nice entries from you
mimi01 - Gr8 rendering there mimi
castaneda - Really luv ur 2nd entry. :)
& so many nice entries this time...

ClassicGamer-3DT
13-06-2007, 12:11 PM
OK well it's unlikely that i'll make a 4th entry before tonight's deadline. So I thought while i've got the free time available, i'd bring out the good ole' comments page once again.

Marty_McFly-3DT Post #01 - Well as always Marty you're modelling skills never fail to impress, and your starter is certainly no exception, you've started off with the simplistic clean modelling of the toothpaste base mesh, then added noise for that little subtle difference that the everyday handling of this object would receive and mesh smoothed the whole lot, it is very subtle but certainly adds a whole lot to the realism of the mesh. The toothbrush is again simplistic modelling from a primitive cube i'm guessing and the small cylinderical brush bristles set it off a treat. a nicely modelling cap for the toothpaste tube and Mr Beaker from the Muppets for the tube artwork is really funny and so cool. Really very nice entry, and a lovely bright and clean render too. Quailty work as always Marty.

bb0x Post #18 - A Warm welcome to the SMC's and a great starting entry too. it's almost like "Pimp My Tooth Brush" or something, the modelling is very well planned and looks very clean too. Gald to see another C4D user here too. You've mentioned about using the boolean tool on the toothbrush base mesh, and therefore making it editable. I can see that you've used a capsule for the button operations to hollow out the little section with the boolean null. I think you can actually set the boolean to hollow out without making the boolan editable. If you'd taken the unsmoothed base mesh out from the parent Hypernurbs null, and booleaned it take way, you could then tick the box called hide all edges which would make the boolean smoother, then make the boolean editable and connect all the peices into one new base mesh, then re-apply the new booleaned mesh as a child of the hypernurbs null again and hey presto. And If you wished to keep certain edges hard you could set a hypernurbs weighting tag. It's something to try for future modelling. Although I can see that you've obviously added geometry to the boolean area aswell no doubt once editing the hypernurbs. I may be wrong but I think you can do more editing with the mesh the way i've told you too aswell. Anyway it's just another way of doing things. It looks pretty good though, I like the gold materials and the brush head. the hair has worked pretty well for you, but I'd doubt that they'd brush the teeth too well lol. Very nice entry and good to see new members as always. By the way, you've probably noticed also, but your brush is spelt wrong on the right hand side, but never mind. Nice render too, good image based lighting. I hope to see more from you in the future SMC's.

ill Post #19 - Another new member I see, another warm welcome to the SMC's. A very nice first entry too, lovely clean primitive objects modellingm good use of materials too. I particulalry like the spout/cap of the toothpaste itself, really nice shape to it. VRay has done it's magic again I see with the render too. Very nice entry. I hope to see more from you in the future SMC's too.

sylvio Post #32 - Great entry there, the overal modelling is nice and clean, well thought out mesh construction, I like the curvature of the toothbrush, and the toothpaste had got a great shape to it, much better than mine. the toothbrush bristles are nicely modelled and placed. My only crit if I had one would be that the toothbrush looks a little too chunky, but that would be my only crit. a couple of tweaks on the bottom and at the sides, and the brush would be just a tad thinner and be perfect. But as a whole I like this entry, it looks really nice, well modelled and a nice render. Good Work.

b3ta Post #35 - Well good to see you back on the SMC's even if this might be the only entry to make. You mentioned in your entry post that you regarded your entry as a bit of a porr result, I seriously and genuinely dissagree with that statement, what's not to like, really beautiful clean modelling, lovely shaping to both the toothbrush and the toothpaste, excellent thread on the screw cap, I really love the little blob or sweep of toothpaste placed onto the brush itself, that's spot on just like the ones you see in the adverts. I really like the shape of the brush, the bristles on the brush look perfect, and you've got a gorgeous render. The overal feel of the scene is very clean, and the materials used and natural and nice and bright, I particulalry like the dispersion on the flooring for that blurred refelction. Really lovely work.

misiopuchatek Post#39 - Wowee! this is excellent, you've really captured the shapes perfectly here. I've seen the Oral B split toothbrush on adverts since and I'll be honest there's harly any difference between this and the real thing. The Colgate toothbrush tube look really good, a nice amount of tweaking there to make it look used, and a great little splurge (if that's a real word) of toothpaste itself, sets the whole thing off a treat. The material are very well produced, a good resolution texture for the toothpaste and indeed for the toothbrush too. and that bathroom tile look excellent, it really works very well with the image based lighting and HDRI. Very cool entry.

Daye Post #44 - Oh yes, very nice entry here. Another fave of mine, lovely clean modelling as always, and the electric toothbrush has a really natural and great shape to it, especially those dimpled areas around the top perfectly modelled for finger and thumb placements when in operation. the brush bristles look especially cool, really nice cap and toothpaste shape aswell. maerials and lighting is very nice, the reflections look a tiny tiny bit too bright, but not unrealistic actually, and a very fine render. Very nice.

H20 Post #51 - Blimey! well first looks at this entry and I thought "Hang on H20's just taken a photo" lol that's how good I regard this to be. I'd looked at that very same brush bristles formation, but didn't quite pull it off correctly, but you've nailed it down to a tee. I really love this alot, the sloping angle of the toothpaste cap, down to the simple yet slender creation of the toothbrush itself. With subtle yet highly effective lighting, makes this entry very very appealing indeed Well done, this is work to be proud of.

rawk777 Post #55 - Well i think for saying that you've created this in just 45 mins, you've really done very very well here. the brush I have to say looks really excellent, great shaping to it, excellent brush bristles, I like the toothpaste too, but the brush is what sticks out to me here, especially rested on top of the toothpaste, lovely lighting and nice materials too. Cool render.

iro-bot3 Post #57 - He he, wow now that's a toothbrush! you'd know you'd got that in your mouth lol. Gosh that would rip the insides of your mouth out completely wouldn't it lol. Very clever idea, not practical but clever none the less. Really very nice well thought out mesh creation, lovely and clean building, nice toothpaste, and what a toothbrush. Not bad material and a nice render. Good Entry.

misiopuchatek Post #60 - Now this is so so great, this is what I love so much about SMC's is the different idea's people bring to the competition. These little character driven toothbrush aimed for the kiddies really are very clever, and so it your creatiosn here too. The little toothy character electric brushes work incredibly well here. I really love it, they look so very good, excellent toothpaste tubes, and the materials are nearly flawless, perfect render too, I really love this one alot.

praveen3d Post #61 - Now this is cool, perfect clean modelling, great use of primitive and splined tools here. The toothpaste tube looks real I think, great materials, beautifully lit and a nice amoutn of relflection on the tube too. Great creation of the toothpaste cap by using the splines. The toothbrush itself look very real and natual, great curvature on this one here, and nice to see with one was also create at the start with a spline, the sweeping nurbs and FFD for tweaking. Beautiful render, looks very real. Great work.

Hermes Post #71 - Prof. Lostkid's Dental Care eh? works really well actually. Nice design for the toothbursh and the toothpaste tube. The toothpaste that's been created looks perfect. As for the modelling, this is really well done, very very clean mesh building, lovely shapes created, very natural and realistic. Very nice entry indeed.

Hausdepp Post #73 - As I mentioned in an earlier post i'm very glad you made it, excellent first entry too, for saying you've only been modelling since last september, you've got to a higher level than I did when I first started out in 3D. And i don't just mean you're clean modelling either, you're texturing and lighting is way better than mine was at such an early stage of learning 3D. Great work really, I hope to see alot more from you.

castaneda Post #74 - A very warm welcome to the SMC's, beautiful starting entry too, perfect modelling very clean and well thought out. Gorgeous materials and a very realistic render. Not much more I can say about this, it's a very good entry for saying it's your first SMC here.

Ojah Post #77 - Oh yeah, this is really nice, the toothpaste is modelled beautifully, looks very real and seems to flow very naturally as does the cap, really great modelling here, the toothbrush is simply inspiring, those brush bristles looks so so good, the little curvature in them really make them look real. the materials are very nice and natural, and a lovely render too with nice lights, a very clean and well made entry I think.

castaneda Post #79 - Now this is in the same league as misiopuchek's novelty entry aswell, the creation of the little elephant looks very very good. I really love this alot, the little elephant reminds me actually of an early 80's cartoon called Babar :) This is really very very well made indeed and nearly flawless lighting too. Great entry really!

f02150 Post #80 - A warm welcome to you too, welcome to the SMC's may you stay with us forever lol. And what a really really great starting entry too, really nice clean primitive shaped mesh creation. The toothpaste is really nicely create, a good cap on the tube aswell, and a nice little toothbrush too, great materials on both, especially the pink transparecy of the toothbrush, works really very well. Very nice entry. I look forward to seeing more from you in future SMC's.

mimi01 Post #82 - I love it! that's the first thing that spring's to mind when I first saw this entry, the render is beautiful. The tooth brush is original I think, because i've not seen one exactly like that before, the modelling of the toothbrush is absolutely perfect, it just ticks all the right boxes for me. The curvature the brush bristles, the brush bristles holes, the little grip section everything about this, makes me smile, and in a good way. I really like the toothpaste tube aswell, especially the cap, and nice interesting desing on the cap too. As i've already said the render looks amazing, and the material and really nice, almost pastelly in blue coloruing, and really really wrok well together. I really love this. Well Done.

Well that's about it for now, I hope i've not missed anybody's entry(s) out. I don't think I have anyway.

If you happen to be a late entry before tonight's deadline, then I will try to comment before the SMC ends :)

I hope you don't mind me commenting, it's just there are some very talented individuals on here, that deserve my

opinion of their work, weather they want to read it or not lol. :)

That's it for now.

Kind Regards

Classci Gamer

sylvio
13-06-2007, 01:02 PM
what a post !! man your arm is going better right !! :smug: thanks for your comment, I've modeled another scene, hope I'll find some spare time to finish it before the end of the challenge.

Congrats to everyone, there is a lot of really nice entries here ! :lurve:

misiopuchatek
13-06-2007, 04:16 PM
First of all - CG wow and thank You very much for Your comments :dance:

Second of all.
My third entry.
I made my brush and paste and then I thought I'll made full scene :D
So, brush and paste is made in the regular time (brush - 30 minutes (God bless backdrop images :D, paste - 30 + bout 20 for tweaking)), everything else is a bonus :)
Lightwave of course :)
Hope it's ok Marty :)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7355/tb3finalspeedbw3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Enjoy and good luck for all of You :wave:

Hermes
13-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Not much to say after ClassicGamer's entry, right? lol
But just to state it, there has been lots of great great entries this challenge, fellows, glad to be part of SMC!

ClassicGamer: What an entry man! :crazy: you should get yourself writing SMC's log! he he Now seriously, thanks for your comment, coming from you it's an honor! ;)

Regards!

-lostKid

iro-bot3
13-06-2007, 05:24 PM
nice entries all around. "CG" your awesome, thanks for the comment. your entries are the ones i look for everytime and they are always great work.

as far as this one goes, its just the modeling i was after. the render and textures could be dramatically better but i just wanted to throw this out there because we all forgot that baby's need to brush they're teeth too. Just slip these over your finger and PRESTO! your finger is also a toothbrush.

3ds max 8
30 min

H2O-3DT
13-06-2007, 08:05 PM
The travel brush. Brush and toothpaste in 1

Time 90 min.
3DMax.

Daye
13-06-2007, 08:39 PM
With all that typing, CG probably has bodybuilder fingers :)

* imagines a hand full of fingers with mass pumpitude *

LOL

Nice to see the injury didn't hurt the modeling / comment machine ;)

:dance:

ClassicGamer-3DT
13-06-2007, 09:01 PM
LOL, still took me 2 hours to type though.

I'm in the mood for a new SMC, bring on #154!!!! :)

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

castaneda
13-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Hermes thanks, glad to be a part of the forum

praveen3d thanks, hehe yeah I love that little elephant too

ClassicGamer wow, look at all those comments just flowing out, thank you very much for mine. and i just saw the adventures of babar on pbs while channel surfing, strange coincidence hehe.

H2O hehe nice one, that looks pretty useful, I might need one of those. Is it just me, or is there an extra part in your wireframe that you didn't include in your render?

H2O-3DT
13-06-2007, 09:24 PM
castaneda
Everything in the wire is in the render, The Texture on the blue rubber part was supposed to be more transparant.

Marty_McFly-3DT
13-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok guys... this challenge is now over, and the new one is up and running.

Marty

Rachel vd M
14-06-2007, 01:53 PM
a question,
where is the image of my posted (acme)toothbrush, i dont see it
anymore, am i disqualified or something????

Rachel- I've been playing around with the toon ink shaders a bit myself. I
like how they turn out. Eats a lot of rendering time in XSI though.
How's it effect the render speed in Max ? Another clean mesh

3ds max has a nice ink 'n paint shader, and the strangest thing is that mentalray renders them faster and ... better!!!

ClassicGamer-3DT
14-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Rachel vd M - It might have been lost when the site was transferred to a new faster server. Pm a mod and see.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

Marty_McFly-3DT
14-06-2007, 03:44 PM
a question,
where is the image of my posted (acme)toothbrush, i dont see it
anymore, am i disqualified or something????

No... it must be an error... there are still bugs in the system that are being worked out. Just go back to your original post and reupload your entry.

Marty

Rachel vd M
15-06-2007, 06:40 AM
That's it for now.

Kind Regards

Classci Gamer

there was an error with my post (nr. 15).

No... it must be an error... there are still bugs in the system

now i have the picture online again!

if you like you can make C&C's again

Orkron
20-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Grrrrr.
I'm so bummed I missed this one - Wow, great job all!
I loved the first time around on this one, I made SO MANY entries lol.

ill
23-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Did you guys forget about this one or isn't it going to be looked at for some reason?

Marty_McFly-3DT
23-08-2007, 01:36 PM
There are still forum issues that are being worked out which is why this challenge has not been looked at yet. I'm hoping everything gets settled, but if it doesn't... there is a possibility that it may be removed to clear up the way for the newer challenges. Unfortunately I'm in the dark just as much as everyone else. :(

Marty

misiopuchatek
03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
... there is a possibility that it may be removed to clear up the way for the newer challenges...
That wouldn't be fair...

castaneda
11-09-2007, 07:12 PM
so is this challenge dead? :-( I worked pretty hard on it, it'd be a shame to see it thrown out like nothing, and I'm sure everyone else feels the same.

praveen3d
17-09-2007, 10:07 AM
so is this challenge dead? :-( I worked pretty hard on it, it'd be a shame to see it thrown out like nothing, and I'm sure everyone else feels the same.

Ya, Me too. :cry::cry:...& what abt the 'Sword' Challenge ?

Marty_McFly-3DT
17-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey everyone. Unfortunately, I am in teh same boat as everyone else in this matter. There were some plans that were made for the forums that took a back seat Siggraph came and when the forums began having some type of virus problem. I honestly don't know any more than you guys know at this point. But if something new develops, I'll be sure to let every one know as soon as possible.

Marty

b3ta
17-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Could you set a deadline for those entries that the server removed to be re-uploaded - and then judge the ones which are online after that date? Or am I missing something that's physically stopping this thread from being judged?

Marty_McFly-3DT
17-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I was put into a holding pattern because of the changes that were to be made to the forums. I don't know all the details because it deals with the business end of things of which I am not involved in. According to a recent post from Tom, there's more things going on behind the scenes causing more delays.

The only thing I can do now is lock the threads and get them judged as they are, but it would still take a little while before that could happen since I personally have a lot of work outside these forums as well. :(

b3ta
17-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I see said the blind man !

Well, not to worry Marty - I'm sure the majority of us do these for the practice and advise from others and appreciate that you're time is stretched running the show and managing work pressures - as and when, or even if, is what I say - no pressure from me ! :D