PDA

View Full Version : The New Suggest a Challenge Thread

Marty_McFly-3DT
18-03-2008, 01:59 AM
The rules here will be simple.

1. Post ideas for a future Speed Modeling Challenge only! Any posts that are off topic will be deleted. (That means no posts like this, "Wow this is cool, I can't wait to post ideas here!") Here is the suggested posting format:

Idea: Speakers

Description: Can be any type of speaker from large home entertainment speakers, to car speakers, to headphone speakers.

Suggested Time: 1 hour

2. Make sure that your idea has not been done already.

3. Do Not Spam the thread, multiple ideas should be posted in the same post.

4. Have fun and be creative but realistic with the ideas.

If your idea is used, we will put your name up in flashing lights. Ok... maybe not, but you'll get credited for it. :)

noyb
18-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Idea: Coffee Grinder
Description: Something that turns coffee beans into a fine pink mist...err...I mean fine coffee powder.
Time: 60min

Idea: Space Ship
Description: A ship in space? From a box with a rocket engine to an overly detailed star wars model - you get the idea.
Time: 90min

Idea: Escher
Description: An optical illusion in 3d... can it be done? (doesn't have to be Escher necessarily, but it does have to be an impossible object)

Edit:
Idea: Percussion Instrument
Description: No, not hammers and baseball bats. I'm talking things that are made to make noises when they get hit (drums, xylophones, etc.)

Idea: Inorganic Organic
Description: Use something organic as inspiration for creating something inorganic (like a metal tree)
Time: 90min...120min?

Idea: Arty Stuff
Description: Model things that you use to create traditional art (paintbrushes, markers, etc.)

Edit Again:
Idea: Cartoon Character
Description: Model your favorite cartoon characters

Ferry P
18-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Weapon
(maybe not excisiting weapons, but concepts only)

dark alley
(Why stick to single objects? Maybe a little scene could be cool)

abstract
(Just an abstract shape which looks cool)

house
(not nescesarily a normal house, but i could also be a birdhouse or whatever)

ClassicGamer-3DT
18-03-2008, 11:07 AM
#1. Alarm Clock

Description: Build an alarm clock it can be digital, analogue or a sundial with a hammer attatched to it. A device that can wake you up in a morning and that tells the time obviously.

Suggested Time: 60 Mins.

#2. DVD Players

Description: Portable DVD players, Slimline, bulky, retro, futuristic, basically a device to play a DVD disc.

#3. Old Fashioned Cameras

Description: Think 1900's to the 1980's, think about camera's that actually used film? yes film! remember that? Think about those fun camera's you used to take on holiday when you were 12 that once developed always had a picture of a dog with a quality assurance sticker over the top to use your film up before processing. You get the idea.

Suggested Time: 90 Mins.

#4. Ship In A Bottle

Description: A ship in a bottle then, though small miniature boats & ships etc that are magically placed into a glass bottle.

#5. Pirate Ship

Description: Thar she blow jim lad! Arrr Arrr ye need to make ye pirate ship so we can sail off onto the seven seas and pilage.... and .....ahem. Yes pirate's always need a good ship to fine their treasures etc.

Suggested Time: 120 Mins.

#6. Cuddley Toy

Description: They can be anything you like, the cuddley teddy bear you had as a child (or still have) the cuddely toy you win at a fairground, just as long as it's cuddley that's ok.

#7. Skateboarding Part 01

Description: These can be the traiditonal thin skateboards, the large extra wide professional series or even the hover board from Back to the future, let you're imagination run free and perform tricks.

#8. Skateboarding Part 02

Description: Now that you've got you're skatboard you need something to skate on don't you, so let's build a skating course, ramps, rails etc.

#9. Cordless Headphones

Description: Cordless headphones then, we all love listening to music on our headphones, so let's model wireless/cordless headphones, they can be inner ear, ear incasing or even ear wrapping phone.

#10. Fountain Pen

Description: Does anyone write anymore? or are we all digital slaves now? Let's reminice and make those fountain pens from yesteryear.

#11. Are You Listening? Part 01

Description: Radio's whether they be digital or analogue, we all used to and still listen to radio's from the wireless radio in the early 40's to the latest DAB digital radio's.

#12. Are You Sure You're Listening? Part 02

Description: 80's Twin Tapedeck, remember these, remember when we only had cassette tapes, the could old C90's recording the charts off the radio and trying to cut out the DJ parts, making our own mixtapes to listen to over and over again. Get you're skills on and model a Sony, and Alba or a Matsui twin tapes deck cassette recorder! No cheesy 80's music neeccesary.

#13. Book Ends

Description: Usually made out of wood but can be anything you like, consisting of two parts split up in order to keep your precious book collection standing neatly together.

#14. Biscuits

Description: We all like a biscuit be them savoury or sweet, but what's you're favourite? the bourbon? the custard cream? the jammer dodger? or even the pink wafer? choose you're favourite and model them!

#15. Bread

Description: White, Wholemeal, Granary, Rhye the list is endless, you could model a loaf, buns, cobs, or croissants, tuck into your favourite now.

#16. Back Yard Part 01

Description: It could be a small garden, an abandone back yard or an overgrown large yard with weeds and nettles running free. Maybe some grass tests for this one, as long as it's a garden it's allowed.

#17. Back Yard Part 02

Description: And if you've got a garden you'll need something to look after it, so model a lawnmover for this one, keep your garden tidy, it might be the hard work push cutter or the hove mower's it's up to you.

#18. Money Box

Description: We all try to save money from time to time, so model a money box, it could be a piggy bank or a tardis (I have one, ahem) something that you can keep you're saving safe.

#19. A Glass Of Beer

Description: A cool, soothing, full bodied beer to quench your thirst, a pint or a half, what's your favourite tipples? larger? bitter? draught?

#20. Is Chopstick Is Easy To Learn?

Description: Piano's those marvellous musical instruments, you could go for a grand piano, a small toy one or a high backed home one, No keyboards or organs though.

CG.

DaddyDoom
18-03-2008, 11:14 AM
CG, did you took the right dosage of your foot ulcer medicine?

pables
18-03-2008, 11:31 AM
#1 Medieval/fantastic Castle
(an original desing of a castle)

suggested modelling time: 90 mins

#2 Sci-fi Fortress
suggested modelling time : 90 mins

MrHarle
18-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Love the idea of a speed modelling landscape/environment like a castle or fortress.

how about a group project where everyone works on a different element they all get put into one scene at the end of a couple of weeks work?

pavrix
18-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Idea: Musical instrument

Description: A musical instrument (bass, guitar, sax, whatever)

Suggested Time: 70 min
------------------------------------------------------------
Idea: glasses

Description: just that

Suggested time: 60 min

Rooky
18-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Idea: These boots are made for walking

Description: Any type of footwear. It can be slippers, shoes, boots, sandals etc.. something to wear on your feet.

----

Idea: You can leave your hat on

Description: Any type of hats, caps, anything that covers the upper part of your head (NOT HELMETS).

----

Idea: Let me see..

Description: Any type of glasses, goggles, specs.. as long as they are on your eyes, and you can see through them (or not? :D)

----

Idea: Lighter

Description: Lighter, cigarette-lighter, tinder box... You can make an already existing one or you can even make your own design if you want.. just to be recognizable as a lighter.

Blacklemon67
18-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Idea: Laptop
Description: Speed model a laptop. You should know what a laptop is.
Time: 90 minutes

Idea: House
Description: 3D model a house, or your house! Any house!

Idea: Books
Description: Books, books, and more books! 3D model those books.

RockstarKate
18-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Topic: Bobblehead doll
Description: You know, the doll that nods its giant head in an amusing fashion? Any character, as long as it is a bobble head.
Time: 90 min

Topic: Swiss army knife
Description: the basic idea should be the swiss army knife, but you can be creative with the tools that it holds from traditional knives and tools to wacky items from your imagination. Swiss Army Utensils, Swiss Army Nailpolish, etc...
Time: 90 min

Topic: Leaf
Description: How much detail can you add to a small object in a limited time? Any type of leaf- but only one.

Daye
20-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Over the years, we've pretty much covered quite the scope of objects that
can be done within a short amount of time. Some of them multiple times.

Instead of reconsidering new objects to model, perhaps changing the
rulesets up a bit would throw some variety back into the mix ?

Ergo, shorten or lengthen the modeling time. Consider perhaps just a
modeling challenge instead of it's speedy counterpart. Model an entire
scene instead of a single device, etc. etc.

Just a thought.

wintermute
20-03-2008, 03:22 PM
There are a lot of really great ideas already posted here. CG has good ideas for some objects. There have been a lot of environment ideas. It would be cool if we could do some more environments.

Daye also has a great point. Turn it all upside down, reinvent the wheel, as it were.

For example
idea:Mouse
description:The thing you use to point and click. (not the animal)
sug. time:15 minutes

Just bang somethings out. Pens, wine glasses, lamps, hammers, computer cases, etc., could all be made in an exceedingly short period of time.

Also you could just have a challenge open for a week. No minute limit on it. Make a haunted forest this week... WIPS could be posted along the way, and on the last night of that challenge final entries could be submitted. Probably no more than a week for something like that.

One thing I've noticed is that organics just get left out all together. I remember only one since I've been here, the "bust".

idea:insect
description: Ant, spider, dragonfly, whatever... Make a bug.
sug. time 120 minutes

Something like that is almost the perfect half between inorganic and organic.

Also we could do individual body parts. They needn't all be human. "Hand" for example could encompass many styles/degrees of realism as well as many species. Eyes, nose, mouth, there are many things we haven't touched on yet.

Just some thoughts.

pables
01-04-2008, 09:22 AM
And what about a Bonsai??

Description: Any type of bonsai, real or invented one.
Modelling time: 60- 90 minutes

justus_jonas
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
i know Rockstarkate already suggested a leaf, but i would be interested in how you guys would be handeling a stem, petals and leaves. so:
idea:flower
description: you would have to model the green part as well as the blossom. the fancier the better.
time: 60 min

Real 3D
10-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Sea Shells of Different a Types!!!

Honki
10-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Idea: DIY - Mechanical
Description: Hand tools that you would use when fixing something mechanical ie: a car.
Time Limit: 30 mins

Idea: DIY - Construction
Description: What tools would you use to build a house / roof / verandah / cage for child?

Idea: Toolbox
Description: A box for storing tools.

LazyTurbine
23-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Idea: The hand is quicker than the eye...
Description: Model a hand/claw/paw. Doesn't have to be human, but it has to
be something you can grab with.
Time: 90 minutes

Idea: Don't ***** me...
Description: A pincushion.
Time: 60 minutes

Idea: Going up...
Description: Model stairs/escalators/elevators/etc. Anything a person can use
to get to a higher floor.
Time: 30 minutes

hulahuga
06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Why not a redneck, farmer :)

pables
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
And...what about a TOY, any toy which we used to play with when we where kids, can be both organic or inorganic

BikerNut
29-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Idea: "Blown Away"
Model a hairdryer.

Idea: "Don't forget your....."
Model a toothbrush.

DaddyDoom
29-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I think that those have already been done. At least the toothbrush was :D

RockstarKate
29-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Musical instrument was done a long time ago, but I'd like to see it again :)

BikerNut
29-07-2008, 05:28 PM
"We come in peace..."
Model a sci-fi phaser.

Probably been done though. :o

Oltskul
05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
and what about : Remote controler of a life?
model : clasic remote with all functions you ever wanted :) (wife´s volume + - :) ect :))
time.... 1h to 90 min
:)

KitLightning
16-08-2008, 11:56 AM
The construction of an APC Mech
It is not an implement of the Classic Battle Tech Universe but as I have been asked for designs of it or the likes, I might aswell see other versions in action and whats better than this wonder of a site with to many to good modelers around!

The APC Mech may be of any design of your choise, as long as it follows the CBT rulings of Mech designs, thou the design made does not have to be a CBT ´Mech. That it has to be of either a Biped-Mech, or Quad-Mech, with the ability to carry upto six (6) (or eight (8)) BA (BattlesuitArmor) onto the field...
If modeling a ´Mech is too extreme within an hour (it must be), an Aerodyne or VTOL (Helo) may be modelled imstead...

just a good idea lended from a request that Masakari of MWLL posted!

Suggestions
Model: Imaginary APC Mech.
Model: Vulture/MadDog converted into an APC carrier.
Model: TimberWolf/MadCat converted into an APC carrier.

Perversonality
16-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Have we done helmets yet? Would give a great variety of choices and styles and should be doable within 60 minutes

Psycho Mantis
18-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Yes helmets where done already. Not long ago.

Another suggestion - let´s model all the same thing, and check for accuracy. Marty posts a photo of an objekt (or preferably some views of the same objekt), and we are about to recreate it in 3d and in a given time. e.G. 30 minutes for a.. aehm... maybe peppermill. Accuracy counts most.

I think its a good practice to learn how to model from a photo (vizualisation) and learn how things are build. From my experience over the years i can say, it helps you to model much faster, when you know about the parts certain objects consist of and how they work togehter. this somehow helps your brain to work organized and logical.

Subject: Pipe Tongs
a tool to turn hex-nuts; plumbers work with it
time: 60 mins should be fairly enough.

URs3D.net
19-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Sorry to say, but these challenges suck if they dont get rated....! It cant be that it takes more or less 3months to rate one challenge...! I know they have loads to do, but come on.....
And I know we all do the challenges to practice our modeling skills but of course I wont to know how well i´m doing..

If you dont have enough time to catch up, then skip one week challenge, and in that time try to rate the challenges from number 020 up till now...

i´m a bit disappointed, cheers.:grr:

pables
20-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Sorry to say, but these challenges suck if they dont get rated....! It cant be that it takes more or less 3months to rate one challenge...! I know they have loads to do, but come on.....
And I know we all do the challenges to practice our modeling skills but of course I wont to know how well iīm doing..

If you dont have enough time to catch up, then skip one week challenge, and in that time try to rate the challenges from number 020 up till now...

iīm a bit disappointed, cheers.:grr:

Hey, come on, It's summer, there will be enough time to judge(they are doing it but it takes time). Its true that sometimes you want to know the results to know how well are you doing it but, mods are have not a salary, and have a personal life too, they can't be all day judging smcs.

Cheers

ShadowBoss
16-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Idea: Illegal Immagrant workers

Description: try to capture the brave serenity in their faces, hard-working bodies.

Suggested Time: 1.5 - 2 hour

lampshadehead
24-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Sport stuff! eg. hockey stick, football, tennis racket, etc! could change the time limit to something like 45 minutes because most of those are pretty simple

Neil_F01
24-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I like one of the other guys ideas (pebbles is it) about "what about a TOY"

Other than that

1~ Body Parts
#~ the idea behind this is to take a part of the body, internally or externally and create a model for it..

2~ Weapons
#~ Anything that you can think off to make into a weapon, whether its a gun, grenade, a sword, bow and arrows, black double ended dildo.(bit of lock stock there). you name it...

3 ~ Jewellery and shiny rocks
#~ Really This one will be designed to push you crapsticks (i mean caustics) skills here... where your doing a crown or a blood diamond, or like geodes or quartz

Neil_F01
29-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Crime Scenes --- pool of blood.. chalk lines.. murder weapons laying about.. dank dark tunnels etc..

Cartoons -- gotta do something toony, whether its a favourite character or just a scene or something.. but would be cool..

Sunrise
30-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Idea: Abstract Art

Description: Ok, so we've seen the space ships, the gyroscopes and the coffee grinders...this time show us something abstract, creating "a composition which exists independently of visual references to the world" (Quote from wikipedia).

Suggested time: 1 hour

----

Idea: Imitation

Description: Recreate a classic 2d painting in 3d.

Suggested time: 2 hours

H2O-3DT
30-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Thank you all for the ideas and input. We really appreciate it.

Cheers
H2O

wintermute
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I have another suggestion. Forgive me if it was mentioned before.

Submarines. whether they're nuclear powered death machines, bathyspheres, something from Mr. Cousteau's personal collection, or even the sub of the future, the important thing would be to create a vehicle or device that allows for human travel and/or exploration under the water.

I remember cars and spaceships but never subs.

Neil_F01
11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I have another suggestion. Forgive me if it was mentioned before.

Submarines. whether they're nuclear powered death machines, bathyspheres, something from Mr. Cousteau's personal collection, or even the sub of the future, the important thing would be to create a vehicle or device that allows for human travel and/or exploration under the water.

I remember cars and spaceships but never subs.

Well i'd be up for something with water... perhaps not just subs but anything goes... liek a pirate ship or maybe even a speed boat pulling a banana boat or something.. that would be cool..

Nocturn8
11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
how bout an inorganic stylized animal... a dog or a cat or something!!! he he.

merendas
13-10-2008, 10:37 PM
idea:The Art Of Shredding

description: make your dream guitar.

shivam3d
04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Must be Imaginary and related to Christmas. Example: Imaginary Christmas Tree, Santa
Suggested Time: 40 Minutes

Neil_F01
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
new idea;;; things at the circus... could be anything from the human cannonball (or the cannon).. animal like elphants, tigers, monkeys, perhaps even a candy floss machine.. who know... but it is quite an open subject..

Aramor
20-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Construction vehicles!

Anything found on a construction site that can be specified as a vehicle. Futuristic stuff as well, like Hoverpillars and stuff.

120 minutes.

Just a thought...

BiG ToE-3DT
20-11-2008, 06:33 PM
graphics card

Karaoke Machine

cell phone

next gen gaming console

speaker

Threedy Total logo

liquidbear
18-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Theme: future of gaming
idea : make your own console or dream pc
time : 3 hours or 2

ThunderLight
27-05-2009, 10:35 AM
how about a car ^________________^ 24 Hours.. just model without render.. lamborghini is easy and can be modeled fast .. wahhh

Psycho Mantis
27-05-2009, 10:42 AM
- your worst christmas present
- something fictional. modelling real things is kinda restrictive. letīs go crazy!

aby arty
27-05-2009, 11:31 AM
1)skateboarding
2)wickerwork basket full of fruits
3)an exhibit of jewels
4)favorite anime character's head
5)archaelogical finds

Lynette-3dt
27-05-2009, 12:19 PM
- your worst christmas present
ha, love this one! :D

Shinamori
28-05-2009, 09:52 PM
What about weaponry? Like swords, axes, maces, guns, etc.

blarg
04-06-2009, 09:19 AM
remote control

zmuh11
21-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Nerf!!!!

Past, present, or your own concept ;)

Shinamori
21-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I second the motion.

Psycho Mantis
22-06-2009, 09:08 AM
something you can model in 30 - 60 minutes.

i have a job now, and no time to participate anymore, because i cant get 120 mins of free time. the last challenges were cool, and i had liked to be in, but couldnīt. its no prob for me to spend my lunch break modelling, but that needs a topic you can do in less then an hour.

some ideas as i look ove rmy desk - shapreners, staplers, etc... or something funny like cartoon animals etc...

Rachel vd M
22-06-2009, 11:34 AM
how bout

keychain decorations !!

i'd like to see what kind of keychains we get

MrHarle
22-06-2009, 12:35 PM
how about 10 mins? model anything you like but you only get 10 mins to do it!

Spockguy
30-06-2009, 01:10 AM
My initial idea was for Amusement Park Rides which would have a lot of creative flexibility.

Orrin Hogan
27-07-2009, 05:39 PM
household PLANTS w a twist?

Robbert543
07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
'Plumber's Assortment'
Like various tools, plungers, anything a plumber needs.

Communication devices?
fads/crazes (an interest followed with exaggerated zeal.)

avishek
20-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Idea: A satchel.

Description: It can be a simple one with some basic pockets and simple texture.

Time duration: 1hour max

Psycho Mantis
20-08-2009, 12:56 PM
you mean a manīs purse?

no - a satchel - indiana jones has one! :D *scnr*

ClassicGamer-3DT
20-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I've noted a great deal of these suggestions, you'll definately be seeing some of these in the up and coming SMC's :)

CG.

avishek
21-08-2009, 05:06 AM
@ Psycho Mantis: Ya exactly i meant the one that Indiana Jones has. :) hehehehe!

Shinamori
27-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Teleporters would be a nice follow up to the time machine SMC.

rocneasta
31-08-2009, 08:29 PM
was thinking about faucets - from rags to riches - a blast from the past or a trend - it should be kinda hard to make a good looking complex model since most of the faucets are so damn simple, or?

Tank[NL]
31-08-2009, 09:14 PM
how about your system setup? you know, keyboard, mouse, tablet, monitor, desk...

so instead of 1 thing, you need to make multiple things in a hurry.

or maybe "tools of the trade". the stuff you use to create art with. so that could be pencils, a tablet/mouse, brushes...

Psycho Mantis
01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
no idea for a special topic, but i īd like to take part in some more smcs - but therefore i need it quick and dirty ;) 60 minutes maximum time every now and then would be nice - i simply dont have the 120 minutes of spare time - and getting back to a model to a later point is not exactly speedmodelling as its meant to be. so i would appreciate some challenges with tasks that can be completed in less then 60 minutes.

Neil_F01
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
if you remember a while back someone did a really nice picture of things that you find on your desk.. it had like pens, ipod, paper clips etc...

what i thought would be nice is if you did a "things on your desk" speed modelling..

i mean it leaves it really open for interpretation.. as everybody has those little kookie items on there desk.. whether its toys, junk, computer bits, smoking utinsils.. wwho knows..

Psycho Mantis
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
yeah - we had that in the knick knackīs comp, but why not limit the items to a given topic. eg - office tools like pens, cutters, erasers, sharpeners... or stuff you have behind your bathroom mirror..tootbrush, comb, prozium...

Neil_F01
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
yeah - we had that in the knick knackīs comp, but why not limit the items to a given topic. eg - office tools like pens, cutters, erasers, sharpeners... or stuff you have behind your bathroom mirror..tootbrush, comb, prozium...

ah right.. but it is a nice idea.. it is something that everyone can do.. and the choices of what you make are sorta limit less..

rocneasta
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
if you implement that SMC can we do it in at least 2 weeks time, since my desk is at it's worst appearance, things are just stacked, falling of one another etc, so to be true to the cause i wouldn't do my table any justice with 60 min on it :P

XTCMatrix
05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
What about lego stuff.

Edwiersma
09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
here are some more idea's

bath-tub's
Clocks/watches (edit)((as godzilla suggested)
suitcases
Power suplies (think of generators, batteries)
Weapons (as godzilla suggested)
And indeed it maybe possible to do some other Scifi stuff

Tank[NL]
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
treasure chests.
displays(lcd/hologram/etc)
nanobots

i dunno...

aby arty
09-09-2009, 02:57 PM
@psycho mantis : u want below 60 mins , make a cylinder then :p or try making a dot in 3d hehe

ideas:
1)character wth tea and newspaper.
2)ur wife has been asking ya for that pocket ripping ecxlusive tea set , model it.
3)the lanldline phone( not cord less)
4)an alien ship broke down , they took refuge in ur house , tell us more about them( no need to model the aliens, but ur models shud talk about them)
5)lava-cycling anyone?

tponmalar
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Idea: small cartoon insect

Description:
Any small cartoon insect 3d model (cartoon bee, cartoon spider, cartoon ant, ect...)

Time: 2 hours