View Full Version : New challenge topic?
05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey and Happy New Year!
I'm curious, what topic would you like to have for the first challenge of 2009? :) Best ideas get a e-cookie :D
05-01-2009, 05:37 PM
here are mine, whitch i posted few minutes ago:
1) Ressistance is futile
2) my worst dream
3) like it was posted in lowpoly ch. - some environmen - 3 phases of destrucion/decay...
4) some vista :-P
06-01-2009, 01:56 AM
mmmm, this is tough.
1. Maybe some real production mattepainting. Like set extensions? You can post 1 - 4 images that the challengers can choose and create a real world set extension. Something more realistic or close to it.
2. Interior mattepainting (this is tougher i bet)
3. The desert / or wilderness, something that would require an epic like scenery.
4. Here's one challenging idea, create a scene where a modern city has been turned in to a jungle after thousands of years. Imagine the Aztecs yet applied to a modern city.
5. Concept to matte - We start off with a concept art from any known artist and we build a mattepainting based on that concept. So the concept must be made by someone else, you could have 4 selections of this too. (This might just be fun!)
Hope that helps
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
great ideas but I'm not sure how many will apply if it's too tough :D
07-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Alright here my 2 cents:
1. "WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED!!!" a painting of the human landscape ravaged by global warming, like a half sunk new york, but still populated (or not)
2. "We're not in Kansas anymore..." The old set backdrops from the Wizard of Oz are legendary, and the precursors of matte painting today. Take a screen shot from the film where these backdrops are prominent, remove them, and "re-imagine" the shot.
3. "Brave New World" The planets and moons in our solar system are strange places; ice-fields of frozen methane, mountains easily five times the size of Everest, and things that no satelite image has yet to see. Do the research, take an educated guess, and imagine the first human sight of an alien world.
4. "It's made of people!!!" The human population grows, the planet stays the same size, and one day we'll be forced to eat each other for food because there's too damn many of us. Paint a city/town/anything that'll show the world as it would be with the human poplation exceeding 100 billion.
5. "They always have to blow up Paris..." By law, every disaster film must destroy at least five precious structures/landmarks/buildings/memorials/etc. Everything you want to visit before you die is up on the chopping block, so take a good guess what your favorite is going to look like after the storm/alien invasion/volcano/nuclear war/zombie dance party tears it a new one.
07-01-2009, 07:25 AM
DisplacedBob : great concepts man, but like Suirebit said, nothing so challenging, and those you suggested seems a bit too challenging. Don't get me wrong I would love to make a few of those but like I said, yeah its a bit too much challenge for any newbie or mid-level inspiring matte artist.
Well here is my next challenge suggestion:
1. A simple Set extension, just choose any image and extend the plate, each artist can create own version just as long as the artist should show the original plate.
2. Element replacement, any image can be used (presuming its high quality) and the artist will replace a certain part of the image, somewhat like set extension but the image WILL NOT be extended, just replace a few (or more) elements in it.
Hope this helps....
08-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I like eyecons idea but I think the image should be provided so that everyone has the same starting point.
10-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree with the set extension idea. I think its good practice and a good way to pick up some slack as far as getting it done on time. Soemthing "old school" to help us along would be great!
13-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't say its really that old school, since after all its the very purpose of mattepainting. 90% of real world mattes are set extensions and the ones that are not are extremely hard to achieve.
I'm pretty much excited for the next challenge and I do hope I will hae the time to join hehehehe. We are eagelly waiting for it Suirebit!
13-01-2009, 10:52 PM
The clock is ticking. Choose faster!
1. Mine of the Mars
2. Heavenly citadel
3. Guard of the pass
14-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok set extension sounds good, now to find a good plate...thanks for all those great ideas btw! I would love putting them to action but for now I really want something accesible to many people
15-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Hi again suirebit. If possible, you might want to provide 3 plates (or two) so that we may have a little variety at least.
Looking forward to this!
18-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Set extension sound great. Looking forwards to this challange too.
By the way were there suposed to be any prices for the summer challange or have i missed something?
18-01-2009, 01:33 PM
any challenge has a set of prizes, you need to claim them from Mr. Chris Perrins :)
18-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Ah thanks dude, forgott about that part lol
20-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Modernize a favorite movie scene.
With all the popular "revamping" of classics such as Batman, or the upcoming Terminator and Startrek
How about we take a preexisting scene and make it aewsome... :)
Or just pick a big subject and see what happens (ex: life or death...)
21-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for a bit of a lack of presence from the in-house team lately. We have now caught up on a few things and are keen to promote the matte challenges for you guys with lots more plugs and exposure. I'll have a look at the prizes too.
21-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Tom-3DT: Hi tom! well I'm very excited to join this challenge. Looking forward to a cool challenge soon!
29-01-2009, 02:23 PM
hmmmmmmmm, think I have a suggestion .... totally pinching this idea of the fantastic Andree Wallin (such an amazing artist), but I'm thinking: take a photo of your average city street and matte paint your way to a bombarded scene! so I'm thinking delapidated houses, that kind of thing. could be a setting for a World War 2 film ... if you get me! ... Just a suggestion ;P
29-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Lyn, you really have an obsession with bombardment :D
29-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Lyn, you really have an obsession with bombardment
Indeed Tib! I have a passion for all things dilapidated :D
vBulletin® v3.7.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.