PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm license issue

Nukie
06-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey there.

I'm kinda breaking my head here over the following, since I cannot find the answers i'm looking for on the internet.

So i'm looking into building a (small, 4 pc's) renderfarm for the purposes its used for. Buying and building the pc's wont be a problem, also creating the network environment itself wont be a problem.

The issue is that I cant figure out how to go with licenses.
Well, partly.

The max license I understand. I only need one licensed copy of max. This copy I can use on my workstation, and I can use this same copy of max on my render nodes since they will only be used for rendering and nothing else.

The thing I cannot figure out is how to deal with Windows licenses. Ofcourse there is the license for my workstation, but my rendernodes also need a copy of Windows. However, buying 4 copies of Windows Vista Business will cost me 4x $300,-. Meaning I spend $1200,- for operating systems that hardly will be used for anything else but rendering.

Am I correct or do I miss something here?
Pls share.

And one other thing I was wondering about, apart from this. I have read that combustion also supports the use of backburner. But where is it useful for? Isnt it so that from combustion you mainly render to video files, and backburner doesnt support this too well?

poopipe
06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
you're correct.

there's a few options to make it cheaper though

I assume you can still buy OEM versions of windows.
You'd buy 4 hard disks and order a copy of windows with each - xp64 was only 90pounds bought like that

you can mix vista and xp using backburner but cannot mix 32 and 64 bit so you could save a few quid by going XP on the render slaves

however....

if I were doing this I wouldn't build the machines myself - I'd buy 4 identical systems with windows pre-installed from Dell (or similar). You don't need fancy machines - you just need a memory and a respectable CPU.

Mid range office desktops would are ideal since they're cheap. eg. you can get a basic intel quadcore system with 4gb in it for under 450 english pounds from Dell - maybe a bit less if you buy several.

Nukie
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I actually didnt even think about that. Thats a good idea. I will look into it.