PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Myst like Game

Edwiersma
28-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Hello,

I want to make a Myst like game: Pre-rendered movie's/images put together in a flowchart to form a game. As i played most of all the Myst games and this was my main inspiration for doing things with 3D i want to try it for myself.

As i've googled for it if found somebody that made a tutorial about a web-based myst-like game, but thats not my purpose. I also know i could do some easy things with power-point and Adobe-encore (encore i dont know that well) but no advanced things. It would be great if i could just use an engine that just makes a .exe file or a DvD that could handle more advanced things.

In one of the Myst games itself they have used an engine that also supported those 360 degrees images (could be called VRLM but im not sure).

If anybody has exeriance with this i would realy like to know, all tutorials are welcome too, anything would do.

Thanks

keenox
28-05-2009, 06:26 PM
you can choose the easy way or the hard way. there are many easy ways, some of which you mentioned. you can also use flash.
the hard way means programming from ground up. you have many choices here. there are lots of languages. this is the hardest, but most flexible and gives you the greatest satisfaction. if you want to program you either build your own engine from scratch or do some research on google.
the choice is yours.

Edwiersma
28-05-2009, 06:54 PM
you can choose the easy way or the hard way. there are many easy ways, some of which you mentioned. you can also use flash.
the hard way means programming from ground up. you have many choices here. there are lots of languages. this is the hardest, but most flexible and gives you the greatest satisfaction. if you want to program you either build your own engine from scratch or do some research on google.
the choice is yours.

not realy the awnser i hoped for but ill do some further investication first, as i cant program... building my own engine is not an option for me. I can work with flash but its not the the platform i like to do it for.

well i have like 2 options that i think are posible now. That is finding an engine or doing it in encore... but it wont be as advanced is i hope... first need to get deeper in encore first.

i found some engine but i still need to see if im able to use it and if i can do everything with it Pyzzle (http://pyzzle.sourceforge.net/)

Nukie
28-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, are you used to Action Script programming? If so, you might take a look at Microsofts XNA.

XNA is a C# based programming language distributed by MS for free. Yes, it is free. However, XNA has been developped to create games for the Xbox 360, and if you want to use that you have to buy a license for $99,- or so. But for creating games for PC is is free. (at least it was). You also need to download Visual Studio (I think it was this one) since thats the platform where XNA runs on.

I once programmed in XNA and I found it similarto Flash AC. But ofcourse you should learn how to program with it. And if you do want to create a Myst like game, you cant do without it, unless you will find a programmer prepared to help you with it.

koyima
02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.adventuremaker.com/

this program does exactly what you are looking for, even the 360 bit.

liquidbear
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
try dx studio lol i used to use it the whole time and it has a easy coding language like flash in my opinion easier ... it supports normal maps and all that stuff hahhahah great forums for ur questions

http://www.dxstudio.com/

ps it is a 2d and 3d engine :) i made so many games in it like where is fonzy from happy days lol

koyima
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
yes, but adventure maker is made for pre-rendered adventure games
and requires no coding.

liquidbear
02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
dx studio is more customizable :P sorry have to stand up for my side lol plus u have the option to add multiple game play types into one game .... like mini games inside ur adventure game

there is one thing i would use that adventure make for is a walk through portfolio on ur ipgone or ipod touch during a interview would look great :)

koyima
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
yes but if he is going to use a full engine there are tens of options and dxstudio isn't nearly as popular as Unity let's say, for which you can have: make an fps from start to finish tutorial.

anyway, don't care not my engine, but if he is looking at encore, I don't think dxstudio
is comparable or close...

liquidbear
02-07-2009, 08:08 PM
ouch lol

lostzac
07-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Well I a a fan of the 3dgs engine, which he could easily do a Myst Style game, also Blender has a good engine that would be comparable.