PDA

View Full Version : The SMC's - #65 - "Mowed Down"

ClassicGamer-3DT
17-06-2009, 09:00 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk208/classicgamer-3dt/SMC65BriefArtwork.jpg

The Challenge Rules

1). Each challenge we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief can be removed and the poster disqualified.

2). You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified.

3). Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframes we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified.

4). You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information can be removed and the poster disqualified.

5). Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 1024x768 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 195k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Images larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

6). The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7). Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable.

8). Posting the same entry twice in a challenge is considered to be double posting and will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

9). The Winner must email jo@3dtotal.com to claim their prize.

10). Only 1st place can claim a prize.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions!

Subject: Lawn Mowers.
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday June 24th 2009.
Deadline Counter:
http://www.countdown2zero.com/mscd.php?code=96130
Description: Lawn Mowers/Strimmers - We want electrical/gas/fuel/steam powered lawn mowers. Strimmers are also allowed, something to cut that overgrown grass.
Modelling Time: 120 Mins.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Starters:

I know I know it's looks like a Go Kart, but the next entry will be better I hope lol.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk208/classicgamer-3dt/CG-Starter-Entry.jpg

ClassicGamer-3DT
17-06-2009, 09:02 PM
OK this is another 120 mins challenge guys, only 1 week though so there's plenty of time to get those entries out and in before next weeks deadline. You can even Steampunk a lawn mower!

Good Luck to all who enter.

Kind Regards

CG.

Varsh
17-06-2009, 09:06 PM
This one looks interesting, don't think many people will atempt a drivable one though. :p

ClassicGamer-3DT
17-06-2009, 09:07 PM
........he he I have :)

Varsh
17-06-2009, 09:08 PM
You've managed one in 2 hours? Can't wait to see this then.:dance:

ClassicGamer-3DT
17-06-2009, 09:09 PM
....don't worry it's crap lol.

mr_lemon
17-06-2009, 09:16 PM
if we are talking about your "crap" then i want a pile of this :D

ClassicGamer-3DT
17-06-2009, 09:21 PM
no no no and no..........trust me it is awful, I had too much client work and had to knock this one up from the top of my head very quickly and spent far too much time on the wheels lol. I will definately without a doubt be doing another totally different entry to make up for this shoddy starter. It'll be shaded aswell because I just want it rendered. Then I'll start on entry #02 :)

CG.

Rachel vd M
18-06-2009, 08:28 AM
haha niiiice subject
sadly i was too busy to make a console, i hope i can enter for this one,
i might make some alternative lawnmower ;)

DaddyDoom
18-06-2009, 09:51 AM
no no no and no..........trust me it is awful, I had too much client work...

Finnaly mate! Good luck on that, and may it be the beginning of a tidal wave of work!

All the best :)
DD

liquidbear
18-06-2009, 12:26 PM
im in this one :)

Pine
18-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Bad my NDS accelerator data was out of date, I lost this forums for several months.

CG, for easy found image reference of Lawn Movers, how about to add this link on first post? And same kind of this link on future SMC?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lawn+mover&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

deadfish
18-06-2009, 04:48 PM
ahhh i really wanted to get involved in last weeks challenge, but didnt have the time! hopefully i'll model something for this one :)

oh yeah (shameless plug! lol) check out my animation project which i've entered into the virgin media shorts competition :)
http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/films/film/elephant-jokes/

Barks
18-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Awesome topic. I'll be churning out something for this one for sure.

Barks
19-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Alright, let's get this party started. Here's my first one. Old-fashioned push mower.

Time: 42 mins
Maya 2009
Maxwell 1.7
Photoshop CS4

ClassicGamer-3DT
19-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Barks - Great entry which is nicely modelled, cool grass aswell :)

CG.

Mesciurius
19-06-2009, 02:56 PM
hello !

i wanted to enter in others competition too but i didn't managed (usually due to time constrains ! )

Here is my entry for this competition ! ( i hope i didn't forgot any rule ?! )

liquidbear
19-06-2009, 03:37 PM
cool concept Mesciurius

Daye
19-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one doing a reel mower :D

This was done in Rhino as usual. I had absolute hell with the blades getting them to
twist correctly and it ate up a lot of time I could have used for minor details like bolts,
gears and whatnot. Glad it's done. . . lol

ClassicGamer-3DT
19-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Coooooooooooool!

Orrin Hogan
19-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Thought I was going to be the only one doing a push mower, I finished modeling this last night but worked on the lighting/textuing today. Anyway good entries so far.
Daye I like your wheels!

3D Studio Max Design 10
Mental Ray
Time: 82 min.

Barks
19-06-2009, 08:42 PM
CG: Thanks, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this one.

Mesciurius: Nice concept. Pretty bad ass mower.

Daye: Very nicely done. Love the tires/wheels assembly. Wish I would have had the time to put some more detail into mine.

Daddy OH: Looks really good. Seems like we were all on the same wavelength to start out with. ;)

I'll try to put up another sometime. Maybe something more high-tech.

Daye
20-06-2009, 03:09 AM
To be honest, the wheels were fairly easy to do quickly. It was those !@#$% blades and the twisting problem that was a pain in the a$$.

The tires are a simple profile curve run through a 360 degree revolve. Four quick shapes drawn out, extruded, then tweaked to align on the surface of the tire and we're ready to rumble. I initially tried projecting the curves to the tire face, but Rhino doesn't like to extrude non-planar curves very well. So, positioning them manually was my work-around.

Simply tell Rhino: "Take these four shapes and use them in a 360 degree polar array. I would like 65 copies please. Use the center of the tire geometry as a reference point. "

Rhino: Sir! Yes Sir!

Shazam. . . . . minor wheel detail done. All that is left is to glue ( boolean ) the shapes to the tire ( I could almost hear my processor sigh with the amount of work is was about to take on ) and clone / resize it.

I actually had ( briefly ) a mower like this one until I realized the grass had to be cut really short to allow it's use without keeling over from a heart attack. Since my yard is all St. Augustine grass, it's extremely thick. As a result, trying to push this type of mower through it was nearly impossible. I think I heard the grass laugh at my attempt . . . . .

Spockguy
20-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I spent WAY to long on the setup of this lawnmower. First time I ever used Vray Hair/Fur simulator. Only lighting is from HDRI. 100% textured in Vray/3Ds Max, no Photoshop (Didn't feel like it after 8 hours messing with 3Ds Max on this). I love the final outcome.

I hope to texture on tire tread and some decals later on, so I'll be updating later.
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp326/spockguy/LawnMowerFinal.jpg?t=1245488846

dgdown
20-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey everyone, some nice enteries sofar... Was not easy to finish up this one in 120 mins thats why some parts are kinda sloppy :hmm:

shamohan
20-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Wow, Great modeling friends, really wonderful ..don't know how to comment on
these entries... Congrats

zmuh11
21-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Here is my entry for this challenge, been a little while.

ill
22-06-2009, 03:42 PM
so, don't know if i'm really "qualified" to make some comments on all of your great entries here (as I am myself not a really good modeller ;) ), but i'll try, maybe someone's interested :)

Barks

Nice model and I'm loving the grass, how did you do it?
Although I guess you didn't add the taken modelling time? or am I blind?
but I can't find anything to critisize on your model, very clean one, nice :)

Mesciurius

I really like the concept! The model is a little "edgy" (or maybe that is just the reflection of the material?) and I think the material looks a little "over the top" in the front view when it comes to reflections and so on ;)
nice job, did you use the built-in renderer of blender i guess?

Daye

Wow, awesome detailling on the wheels! This overall is a very clean and detailled model, couldnt see anything to critisize. It's only a pity that we can't see a full render of the model

Daddy OH

Model looks great! The "spiral" came out really nice in the render, I like it!

Spockguy

Such a model in <120 minutes, I'll have to get some speed-modelling training I guess ;)
Really nice and clean mesh, I would really love to know how you finished the scene after modelling, the render is stunning, though the material is a little too shiny for my liking

dgdown

Awesome concept and so far my favourite here :)
Got nothing to crit, great piece of work!

zmuh11

Can't believe you did this in 100 minutes, great! The model itself is really fine and the render is crazy, I love dark stuff ;)
_____

It's a pity I won't find time to enter this challenge myself, tests at the university ahead :(

Mesciurius
22-06-2009, 03:54 PM
ill
Thank you for your comments !

- The model is a little "edgy" - no its not the reflection :( == the idea was to look like a Mower that is made to resemble a cow , but in the end resulted in cow that is made to look like mower !

- about the material and rendering : it was 4 AM and i was :zzz: so in the end i just took a material used for a shiny car and done a quick rendering

- yes it was rendered using the internal Blender render which is quite good :) - if i would know how to use it at full capacity :wall:

Thank you for your comments !

ill
22-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I see, well I like the model, but the area around the eye looks a little "off" after smoothing.
and when it comes to texturing, I know that, sometimes you just wanna finish that damn model and render it :D

zmuh11
22-06-2009, 04:49 PM
ill - thank you very much for the comment. The model itself is what took 100 minutes. The lights took about half an hour to setup and the actual render itself took about an hour and twenty minutes for the diffuse and occlusion pass.

Thanks again for the kind words :haha:

Spockguy
22-06-2009, 07:15 PM
@Ill
Thanks for the comment.
The scene consisted of a plane with large amount of segments (150x150) and then had a displacement map added and tiled. I found a pretty high res background image, put that one a Plane with a Bend modifier, made sure it didn't generate or receive Gi, and matched it to the horizon. The grass was made using VRayFur, which I learned how to use while doing this. As far as lighting goes, I used nothing other than HDRI lighting. The image I used can be found in a free HDRI pack online.

Oh, and as far as that texture goes? I had many MANY different variations, including a dirty, less reflective texture when deciding what to use. I ended up messing with car texture plug-ins for VRay and just used that since I was so tired of messing with small settings for an hour or 2. I may change the texture later if/when I update the render. I still want to texture the tires and add some more texture detailing.

Barks
22-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Spockguy: Looks great. Scene is really good too.

dgdown: Great concept. Texturing looks good. It'd be nice to see a closer view of the mower part.

zmuh11: Looks great. Not really any crits I can think of.

ill: Thanks for the comment and for mentioning the time, H20 sent me PM about it too. I just forgot to add it. It's there now though. As for the grass, it's actually really easy. The guide I found for it is for Maxwell but I'm sure it could be adapted for any number of modeling/render packages. This is the guide that I followed:

Maxwell Grass Tutorial (http://www.maxwellrender.com/tutorials/grass_tutorial.pdf)

Rachel vd M
23-06-2009, 11:02 AM
okay, here's mine!

i though i'd go for a autonomous lawnmower,
it isnt a model copied of a real one, i just looked at several,
and designed my own lawnmower!

C&C's are very welcome ofc.
here it is:

Daye
23-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Rachel- You should put a red oscillating eye on that puppy. Call it Cylon Model .5 :D

Rachel vd M
23-06-2009, 11:49 AM
rofl, CG can i add something like that?

i wont change any geometry, just some texture/photoshopping

DaddyDoom
23-06-2009, 03:00 PM
ED2009 gone lawnmower :D

ClassicGamer-3DT
23-06-2009, 08:33 PM
rofl, CG can i add something like that?

i wont change any geometry, just some texture/photoshopping

sure ok :)

CG.

shamohan
24-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Here is my entry for this week

3ds max 9 full time modeling ( 120 mins )
some more detailing is there like Head lights etc, but time over with this final output.
Rendering ...Vray
Grass ....Vray Fur ( creating this grass i took 20 mins again for the final output)
Rendering time 1 hour 55 mins
Photoshop

Regards

Shamohan

ClassicGamer-3DT
24-06-2009, 09:00 PM
OK this challenge is now over, the next one is up and running.

Best of luck to all who entered.

CG.

ClassicGamer-3DT
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
1st Place

shamohan (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=723650&postcount=39)

2nd Place

Daye (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=723049&postcount=19)

3rd Place

Daddy OH (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.php?p=723070&postcount=21)

The Winner must email jo@3dtotal.com to claim their prize.

Only 1st place can claim a prize.

Well done to all who participated.

CG.

liquidbear
01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
congratulations to all winners :) well deserved

shamohan
02-07-2009, 03:59 AM
CG, thanks for all support here

Congratulations to the winners

Regards

Shamohan