PDA

View Full Version : Creativity... is it "buildable"?

RaptorX
03-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi guys...

Let me go straight to the point... I think I am not a creative person.

My strengths are that I learn freaking quickly (started with 3ds Max 3-4 months ago and I am already earning money making tutorials on it... go figure) I adapt to any situation, and if you give me a starting point I can go ahead and expand an idea to something cool...

I find myself in that situation as well when it comes to music, I play guitar. You give me a melody and I can bend it and create something cool out of it, a full fledged song if you like, but I cant start by myself... I have ideas from time to time, but never find them cool enough to jump for it...

So, do you think creativity is a "gift" given at birth and that some have it and some dont or do you think I could work on it and make it part of my strengths?

Cause really I really want to really get in to CG animation/modeling but without having creativity and good ideas I dont think I will make it to even create a nice demo reel... what do you think guys!

Nukie
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Hm, though one. I think its a bit of both. You can train it a little, but on the other hand, of you don't have it it would be difficult.

Hm, no lets try to give another example.
I, myself, can create magic with words. Meaning I write poems / songs and sometimes stories. When I have a few words in my head, I can write a poem in no-time (sometimes 5 min, sometimes more...depends off course). Same goes for writing stories. I just pick them up somewhere. Things happen in life, you meet people, you see a death cat down the road. Things like this just give me a basic idea which I than expand by adding detail. I think this is a gift since I write from when I was really young, and never had trouble with it.

Now a good friend of mine has the same thing with drawing. He just does it somehow, also since he was a kid.

Now, things like those examples, are whet I see as gifts. They cannot be trained because they have always been there. But you can learn to draw, and you can also learn to write. Maybe you wont ever be as good as the gifted ones, but it is teachable.

Now when it comes to creativity. In my examples, is has just always been there. But I think you can train it bu just paying attention in your daily life. Pick something you find interesting. Or maybe better: something that is not so interesting (maybe a window in a building, or a trashcan on the street). And than start adding detail. (What is behind the window? What could have happened in that room? And whats up with the trashcan? Someone have put it there, right? But who? And what secrets does it hold? Maybe its property of that weird company that came to town not so long ago. Now thinking of it. Have you ever seen that trashcan standing there before?)

Well, anyway. Hope I have helped a bit.

Zlatovous
04-05-2010, 06:40 AM
In industry, there are always concept artists who do all the thinking for you, you just recreate the thing into 3D. Ofc, some creativity is helpful and if you can paint your own concepts, you will be more valuable (=bigger salary), though I think it's not neccessary.

Me personally, I am good at thinking ideas and making concepts for stories, poems, movies or games, but I am not very good at visualizing things. But I am getting better - and it's quite simple.

Take a pen and paper and go outside. Don't sit at home, because at home you will feel comfy and you can't squeeze a thing out of you. Go to the park and go nuts. Draw everything that comes to your mind. It's good to start with line art, it's easy, all you need is to draw few curved lines and then expand it into something. Don't think about it, just go.

Same goes for 3D - fire up your favorite package and doodle. Start with plane and pull, pull, pull. Don't worry if it doesn't look like anything useful. Concentrate on shape, flow, if it's working together or not. You need to get grasp on what works and what doesn't. Then, you can apply this knowledge to some more meaningful objects.

Hope this helped

PS: I too wrote some tutorials like six months after I started learning 3D Max. Looking back at them right now, I want to slap myself. Don't bother with writing tutorials. They take your time, learn you nothing and you probably don't have enough experience to write them properly. But what do I know, maybe you are one of the thousands who can :-)