PDA

View Full Version : graphics card might be the problem .

hansolo
27-05-2010, 11:56 PM
i have a realy low end graphics card. I was wondering as ive followed tutorials and when im applying the materials im getting alot of black in the render window.

This has happened now for two tutorials. I was wondering if you have poor graphics card does this effect the quailty of the render. Or just the speed

cheers

I know the saying bad workmen blames is tools.
this problem is happening while following tutorials,. I am inexperienced with max
though.

garys123
28-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Im sure it will affect the quality of the render. You can pick up a half decent graphic card now for next to nothing In my PC at home i have only got a 8600gts and it seems to hold up pretty well.

The Prime
28-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Hansolo... never thought I'd say that.

When you say "alot of black" do you mean that the shadows are very dark? Or that materials appear completely flat black?

If it's dark shadows, go to Rendering>Environment (hot key "8") and try lightening the ambient colour. This colour essentially represents how dark the shadows go, or in other terms, it's the colour of a light that is always on, everywhere.

If it's completely black materials then this is a problem with your system. Try reinstalling (or updating) Direct X, all your drivers, and go to Autodesk site and make sure you're software is up to date. I doubt it's because of your graphics card, the main issue you would have with low end GFX cards is performance, and advanced shaders. It shouldn't be a problem to run the Max viewport, even on low end cards.

regards.

(edit: when I say shadows, I mean the darker shading on objects, not the shadows cast by lights and objects, sorry!)

hansolo
28-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I not in the max viewport. Its in the render window. Iwill get back to you on this one though as ive read a step which i could have missed out which could have been the reason of the black material.

I didnt (invert which swaps the colours) i think this the step i missed

I could post the link of the material and you could see the difference and if it a problem with my rendering.

I show link to the tutorial. as well. Its only the begging steps i only got up to the first paragraph before the problem arose.

cheerss

Linc
28-05-2010, 01:10 PM
The graphics card plays no part in rendering.

So it's just you not settings things up correctly.

hansolo
28-05-2010, 04:56 PM
cheers linc i will post it up so the forum can see the problem. thanks again for the grant warwick link also . Realy good tutorial

hansolo
29-05-2010, 05:05 PM
i added a smoke map to the material. Thats why it turned black, The step was to create a smoke then a use a displace modifier and use the smoke maps parameters to create themesh.

ok cheers.

the next stage is

Now off to the mapping. Select a new material and name it GroundMaterial, then apply it to Ground01. Add a Mix type material in the Diffuse Color Map. In the Mix material, set the first color to R:35 G:15 B:0 and the second color to
R:255 G:205 B:100. These will be the colors that the terrain will have at higher and lower altitude. We will make this possible by selecting a Falloff map for the Mix Amount map

What does the falll off map when combined witha mix map does it gradualy blend the coours together. Or does it create a sense of distance by making the mesh darker as it recedes