3DTotal Forums

3DTotal Forums (http://forums.3dtotal.com/index.php)
-   Speed Modelling Challenge (http://forums.3dtotal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   The SMC's - #72 - "We Have All The Time In The World" (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=69242)

ClassicGamer-3DT 20-08-2009 05:00 PM

The SMC's - #72 - "We Have All The Time In The World"

The Challenge Rules

1). Each challenge we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief can be removed and the poster disqualified.

2). You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified.

3). Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like and must include a clear and easy to see wireframe of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Wire renders/ Cell Shaded or Screengrab wireframes are acceptable. Any wireframes we cannot see correctly will be disqualified.

4). You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information can be removed and the poster disqualified.

5). Post two images per entry which must be no larger than 1280x1024 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 195k.
1 image for your wireframes and 1 for your clay combined with a optional beauty render.
These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page.
Do not link to external images files. Images larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials)
will be removed and the poster disqualified.

6). The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7). Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable.

8). Posting the same entry twice in a challenge is considered to be double posting and will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

9). The Winner must email jo@3dtotal.com to claim their prize.

10). Only 1st place can claim a prize.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions!

Subject: Time Travelling Machines.
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 2nd September 2009.
Deadline Counter:http://www.countdown2zero.com/mscd.php?code=f4db8
Description: Time Travelling Machines, from the DeLorean in the Back To The Future to the Tardis in Dr Who, we want you to create a device/machine that would enable you to time travel. This could be a special watch, car, house or even a Toaster like the special Simpsons travel toaster once aired. The Choice is yours :) You've got just under 2 weeks to compete in this SMC so there shouldn't be any excuse for not entering :)
Modelling Time: 120 Mins.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Starter:

No starter from me yet i'm afraid :(

zmuh11 20-08-2009 05:16 PM

This one should be fun, and I'll make sure to remember the time difference from here to the UK this time :)

Rachel vd M 20-08-2009 08:35 PM

awesome subject!

i wonder how many DeLorean DMC-12's we will see ;)
i might have a go at the device from "The Time Machine"

Edwiersma 20-08-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel vd M (Post 733535)
awesome subject!

ah the thing from the "The Time Machine" was the first thing I thought off...

Rachel vd M 20-08-2009 09:03 PM

lol, not very strange as the subject is a "time machine"

so, jade are you gonna do the 1960 version? or the 2002 version?
i think ill make the 2002 version

Shoeballs 20-08-2009 09:25 PM

Time travel and strange space topics are my best friends area of expertise, so naturally I quizzed him on the matter.. His suggestions included..

'a box, weighing scales, sleeping bag'

Then he got specific..

'a tissue box and each time you take a tissue it activates the time machine'

I love this idea so much that I think I might hold it off as a personal project :P

Daye 21-08-2009 12:50 AM

heh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel vd M (Post 733535)
awesome subject!

I would think with only two hours to model it, a Delorean with all the time travel trimmings on it would be tough to pull off.

ClassicGamer-3DT 21-08-2009 07:36 AM

I think the basic car bodywork would be dooable without the wheels, but yeah all the gubbings at the back would take time!

CG.

Zilder 21-08-2009 09:09 AM

Funny topic, would the MIB denourolizer qualify as a time travel device? It does roll peoples minds back in time :)

ClassicGamer-3DT 21-08-2009 09:37 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure lol

Psycho Mantis 21-08-2009 09:40 AM

haha the phone booth was exactly what i had in mind, and i have already some tabs open with it .- and now you posted it here, cg.. funny coincidence

ClassicGamer-3DT 21-08-2009 09:44 AM

:) Good luck finding some good reference pictures, i'm lucky enough to have both films on DVD but on the net there's hardly any good references especially for the top mechanics on the top of the booth. And you'll also notice there's alot of differences between the top of the booth saying "PHONE" in black with a white backlight or "TELEPHONE" with red backlight. I prefer the future version of the booth in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey the neon lighting and cylinder for the time travel bits and peices look better IMO.

If you need any screenshots I can always whip out my DVD and screengrab some for you. :)

Kind Regards

CG.

Psycho Mantis 21-08-2009 09:59 AM

thanks for the offer, i didnīt memmorized th ellok, i just remembered it was a phone booht - i think i saw those movies more than 10 years ago. it hink i will watch them again, to fresen up my memories. i remember "the death" was hilarious.

ClassicGamer-3DT 21-08-2009 10:06 AM

No worries, they are some of my favourite films of all time that and funnily enough the Back to the future trilogy too. "A full on Robot Chubby"........."Be Excellent To Each Other...... And...............Party On Dudes"!!!!! :)

CG.

JAPO 21-08-2009 11:16 AM

I need to ask this: The brief says "device" and "machine." I wonder if places that take you to different time count as "time machines." I mean stuff like the pool from Twin Peaks, cupboard from Narina, or the vortex that sucked in the Nimitz carrier in that B movie as they tried to stop Pearl Harbor with F-14s etc. Not machines on their own, rather anomalies to be precise...

Another time machines you may consider for making:
Baldricks time machine from "Black Adder Back and Forth," Scrats time machine from "No Time for Nuts," time machine from Michale Crichtons "Timeline", the time warp watch from "Returner"...