>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges
bottom-table-gradient

14211 rads test
Old 30-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
SMC #36 "Plenty Of Time" - Clocks & Watches

The Challenge Rules

1). Each challenge we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief can be removed and the poster disqualified.

2). You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified.

3). Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like and must include a clear and easy to see wireframe of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Wire renders/ Cell Shaded or Screengrab wireframes are acceptable. Any wireframes we cannot see correctly will be disqualified. The key is for us to be able to see the wireframes clearly to ascertain how you modelled the subject matter.

4). You MUST include the following details with each submission:

A). Software used
B). Time spent creating the model.
C). A Clay Render of your models.

Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information can be removed and the poster disqualified.

5). Post TWO images per entry which must be no larger than 1280x1024 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 195k.
1 image for your wireframes and 1 for your clay combined with a optional beauty render.
These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page.
Do not link to external images files. Images larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials)
will be removed and the poster disqualified.

6). The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7). Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post it as long as it's recognizable.

8). Posting the same entry twice in a challenge is considered to be double posting and will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

9). The Winner must email jo@3dtotal.com to claim their prize.

10). Only 1st place & 2nd place (i.e. the runner up) can claim a prize.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions!

Subject: Clocks & Watches.
Deadline - 10:00PM GMT 6th January 2012.
Description: A clock is an instrument used to indicate, keep, and co-ordinate time. The word clock is derived ultimately (via Dutch, Northern French, and Medieval Latin) from the Celtic words clagan and clocca meaning "bell". A silent instrument missing such a mechanism has traditionally been known as a timepiece. In general usage today a "clock" refers to any device for measuring and displaying the time. Watches and other timepieces that can be carried on one's person are often distinguished from clocks. The clock is one of the oldest human inventions, meeting the need to consistently measure intervals of time shorter than the natural units: the day; the lunar month; and the year. Devices operating on several different physical processes have been used over the millennia, culminating in the clocks of today. In this challenge it is your chance to model your favourite kind of timepiece, you can choose to model any kind of clock you know of including alarm clocks, watches, stopwatches, grandfather clocks the lot...... as ever the choice is yours.

Modelling Time: 90 Mins.

Prizes:

1st Place - 30 worth of 3DTotal downloadable products & a gold award badge.
2nd Place - 10 worth of 3DTotal downloadable products & a silver award badge.
Honourable Mentions - Bronze Award Badges

Above All Else Have Fun & Good Luck!

My Starter

A fairly basic model from me here, alot of instanced geometry of the ornate flourishes, didn't have chance to add the pendulum or lots and lots of other items as I took my time assembling the basic model, to be honest I think the render is crap too, sorry...... see you in the new year

Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
SherifAlaa55

The modeling is truly amazing ...how did you do the ornament like parts?

the beauty render is not good , good job overall
SherifAlaa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Thanks I agree about the render The ornate flourishes were modelled flat from references then I used the brush tool to give them some curvature etc. Will try another type of timepeice in the new year
Twitter
Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Here is my entry, a pocket watch.
I ran out of time to work on the internal parts and kinda screwed up the chain a bit, but I'm happy with the overall result.
Attached Images

astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
That's a brilliant entry
Twitter
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Inisheer

Software: C4D
Time: 90 min (with 8 month old son on my lap )

Just recently started working in 3D and modelling. I am more into the cartoon style than arch/viz. I would really appreciate any C&Cs.

* There is a front glass cover which is not rendered on the clay render because it would hide the rest of the clock face.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inisheer; 01-01-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Inisheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
pavolsvk

Send a message via Skype™ to pavolsvk
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: second place in the Stylised Challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Hello guys,
Here is my entry for this chalenge. Hope u will like it (btw Happy New year!!)

pavolsvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Cool.... so intricate, superb
Twitter
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Inisheer - A warm welcome to the SMC's!

Not bad at all, good modelling and clean meshes. Render is nice but could use a better studio backdrop, try create a spline in the shape of a large L or C and extruding it, that way it'll give you a cleaner and softer background. You could also place a sky object into the scene and add a subtle HDRI of an indoor room or a professional studio HDRI. Lights are ok but could probably benefit from a touch of colour in each used as no light is pure white, and no black is pure black. I like the entry and look forward to seeing more from you in this challenge and future SMC's
Twitter
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Nice work pavolsvk I like the small details, though I would love to see it finished one day.

Inisheer like CG said, improving the presentation of ur beauty would really make this an eye popper. Also ur clock is missing the small hammer which hits the bells? Stick at doing these SMC's and u will find that they have a big improvement on how fast u can model and ur confidence with trying new things
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Inisheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroAJ View Post
Nice work pavolsvk I like the small details, though I would love to see it finished one day.

Inisheer like CG said, improving the presentation of ur beauty would really make this an eye popper. Also ur clock is missing the small hammer which hits the bells? Stick at doing these SMC's and u will find that they have a big improvement on how fast u can model and ur confidence with trying new things
Thanks astroAJ.

I was hoping nobody would notice the lack of a hammer, but it would have put me over the time limit.

Also, thanks to CG and yourself for the info about the beauty render. I know I could have done a bit more to improve the atmosphere. I'll see if I can render a new one this week (not sure if I'm allowed to upload it in this thread since my image is already submitted).

Thanks again!

Last edited by Inisheer; 02-01-2012 at 02:34 AM..
Inisheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Just remove the current composite and replace it with your new one, that'll be ok
Twitter
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #13
zero5

Hello, thanks for nice topic. Here is what I could make.
So far just modeling, I'll try tomorrow rendering & texturing. It's allowed just to update my post, right?

Software: Maya 2012
Time: 90min

Last edited by zero5; 24-11-2012 at 10:58 PM..
zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
zero5

excellent work pavolsvk!
zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
rockyourteeth
Ameture Animator

Location: I live in Austin, Tx. I'm from Rancho Cucamonga, California.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
zero5, how do you clip that watch? kidding, nice modelling. I've got an entry for this one coming soon...
rockyourteeth is offline   Reply With Quote