>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Stylized Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

14211 rads test
Old 29-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Instructions Guidelines and FAQ's

Welcome to the Stylized Animal Monthly Challenge, sponsored by Zoo Publishing Magazines and 3DTotal. Please post all questions in this thread.

What is this challenge all about?
Each month we will select an animal and post some images as reference. All you have to do is create a 3d render of this creature in a stylized/abstact/cartoon style whilst keeping your creature instantly recongnizable. We wanted to publish some content in 3DCreative Magazine on how to create stylized animals such as you see in the many feature films and cartoon galleries. We thought this regular competition might bring in just the images/making ofs we need whilst giving away great prizes and exposure. If it's a success we will start to boost the prizes up as much as possible!

What are we looking for?
Funny and humourous entries which break the animal down to its most recognizable components, enphasize these in whichever ways you think best and render your stylized/abstact/cartoon masterpiece.

Timeframes and requirements?
The rules are pretty laid back: please submit 1x3d render; minor post work is ok; it's up to you if you want to have a background or include some graphical elements or text on your image. Renders of the 800 pixel dimension sound about right, but the top 10 will be featured in 3DCreative Magazine so if you can create some higher res images too, all the better. There will be 1 comp per month, with the deadline being the end of the month GMT. A new thread will be started at the end of the month called the 'VOTING' thread. For a valid entry, just make sure your final image is posted in the 'VOTING' thread before the 8th of the following month. Voting will then start on the 8th of the month and will continue until the 16th, when the winners will be announced.

We require the top 3 winners to submit 'making of' overview articles that will be shown on either 3DTotal or 3DCreative Magazine , these need to show the stages of your creation, different elements and some brief explanation text, of why and how you did what you did. We will format this into some nice looking pages to give you some great exposure and us some quality content.

Posting Works in Progress?
Each competition will have one main thread that starts with the brief at the top. This is where all entrants post all WIPs give feedback and generally laugh at the crazy ideas that are emerging each month. Please dont start any new threads! Just reply to the one already set up.

Prizes!!

Great ranges of products from 3DTotal shop:

-Digital Art Masters Book - Vol1
-Design Studio Press books
-texture CDs
-Shorts DVDs
-Lots of training DVDs
-12 month subscriptions to 3DCreative Magazine
-12 month subscriptions to 2DArtist Magazine
-SwordMaster
- Joan of Arc
-Elements Digital Painting Tutorial Series volume 1 & 2
-Plug-in Blue Cherry

1st Place
Any 3 items from the 3DTotal Shop. as list aboved, and 12 month subscriptions to 3DCreative Magazine and 2DArtist Magazine.

2nd Place
Any 2 items from the 3DTotal Shop as listed above

3rd Place
Any 1 item from the 3DTotal Shop as listed above

We do have to put a 1 book limit per winner per competition due to high postage costs for heavier items.

Judging
Everyone who entered can cast a vote of their top 3. We will add them up 3pts for a 1st place vote, 2pts for 2nd 1 for 3rd. Then we will add them up and ship out your prizes!

Last edited by Lynette-3dt; 30-11-2007 at 05:44 PM..
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 03:29 AM   #2
AbhishekKr
learning it myself...

Top3 Winners need to submit "making of" overview.........thats cool

But here in the thread, do we need to POST the final render only [that can be more than 800res] or here also we need to POST the WIPs the way far............

'N ya may we make a TOON 3d Model from an inspired idea, thats not purely original

thx

My Portal, Click Here: My 3D Art Gallery
beginner at skills in 3D, so don't mind N00B work
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I.......Proud to be an INDIAN.
I never Forget.......neither do I Forgive.
If Gaming is Life.......Here's your GOD.
My WebSite : http://abhikumar163.googlepages.com/

Last edited by AbhishekKr; 30-11-2006 at 04:55 AM..
AbhishekKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
ben-3DT
ModerateGyrator

Hi,
In the thread, you only need to post the 800px render. We dont need anything else posted unless you would like to show the WIP as it goes along.

Thanks
ben-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Inspired by something that is not entirly original.... I guess that's ok but I guess the more it starts to look like someone elses work the less chance you have of winning.

Tom
Old 02-12-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
AbhishekKr
learning it myself...

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-3DT
Inspired by something that is not entirly original.... I guess that's ok but I guess the more it starts to look like someone elses work the less chance you have of winning.

Tom
its just like I saw an attempt in TOONS in Traditional Drawing that I found very inspiring & wanted to turn that 3D & feel it is right applicable here

it will be only theme taken from that Something not a copy of that, design & model will be original

Old 02-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Glottis
Gone away grateful

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
One question:

is it "do what the heck you want" or are there poly- and texture size limits?
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Hi Glottis, there are no technical limits, as long as its a 3d model/render that's all we care about.

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
A lot of people seem to be making the subject into a themed biped, this is fine as it's an open brief, but we would rather see a stylized toon version on the subject as the guidelines above suggest.

Here's a great example, if the subject was 'rooser' this would make a great entry
http://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery...em.asp?id=2505
Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
ben-3DT
ModerateGyrator

Or these:Dog
Pig
Squirrel
Fish

But of course the brief is still wide open!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
mim
Arm& you !

Send a message via Yahoo to mim Send a message via Skype™ to mim
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Greate! I'll so intresting to participate but whats your mean from
Quote:
minor post work is ok
can we work as post production on our stock render and make it like illustrators did her works?! or like 3d smc, just modeling whould be judjed (n here plus rendering n idea n sth!) I mean is post works (or finall work) judjed as well?
Whistle through your comb!
Do a loony-goony dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor!
Put something silly in the world!
That ain’t been there before!
"Sell Silverstain"
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
AbhishekKr
learning it myself...

Question

are there any minimum no. of stages to be post as WIP in the thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
mim
Arm& you !

Send a message via Yahoo to mim Send a message via Skype™ to mim
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekKr
are there any minimum no. of stages to be post as WIP in the thread
no but more is better, although it is not required unless you win the challenge, then they will ask you for wip, I think!
someone answer my question also, please!
thnx, mim
Whistle through your comb!
Do a loony-goony dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor!
Put something silly in the world!
That ain’t been there before!
"Sell Silverstain"
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Minor post work is ok - means you can do a few touch ups in photoshop if required.

We like to see concepts and wips, but they are not necessary if you dont want to.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 14-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
LionFox

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Hi,
When do we have to submit our works at least? I could not find a final date/time anywhere, or that not jet clear?
Thx! LionFox
LionFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
ben-3DT
ModerateGyrator

Hi
The deadline for all entries to be posted on the thread is the end of the month GMT. This month its Sunday 31st December at 12:00am GMT. (12 at night not daytime)