>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge
bottom-table-gradient

14211 rads test
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Week #1 - The Dumpster - High Poly

edit - midday on Wednesday GMT is the deadline each week for your final entries to be posted in this thread, at this time I will also announce the next weeks model to make!
-------------------------------------------

Photographed this one near the racecourses by us in Worcester, I tried to get all angles, side and close-ups for details and textures.

This is the version without any poly or texture limits, please still keep them clean and economical where-ever possible as we would like the models to be donated to our free resource library wherever possible.

Here is the photo set

Please post your wire, clay, texture sheets and final render in this thread, wip and on topic chat is also fine here too, these challenges are supposed to be fun and we are not too strict on the rules. The only prizes are a gold, silver and bronze icon award handed out to both high and low poly versions each week.

The winners are chosen purely on how close your final model matches the object in the photos.
Attached Images

Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9

Here's my model exported to OBJ file format. I can supply a C4D model aswell if needed

My Model
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
It's a great example to start things off CG with a very nice clean model, but a few crits if I may.

In the photos the model is more beaten up and uneven. The aim is really to get the textures to match the object in the photos too. A bit too much artistic licence there I think!

Cheers

Tom
Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
yeah you're totally right.........i've been out of modelling for so long......it shows lol. But that's no excuse, I was aware of the complete straightness of my dumpster and got lazy at the end, apologies. And there was a fair bit of artistic licence with my entry too.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Zlatovous - I moved your post to the details and FAQ thread (and I answered it)
Old 13-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
floorman20
3d Artist

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 1
WIP -- almost done

I hope I get back to finishing it, it is almost there. I have some texturing to do, what you see is all the texturing that got done. The back half is just using a tiling texture, along with parts of the front half. But, all the modeling is complete, almost done. Not sure when this contest is up, hopefully I will have the free time to do all the rest.
Attached Images

floorman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Really nice entry Floorman

Although the iron pipe handle is a tad small.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
floorman20
3d Artist

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthJake View Post
Really nice entry Floorman

Although the iron pipe handle is a tad small.
Thanks, Yea good thing I said WIP, there is so many intricacies when going right from a photo... Thanks for the heads up... i think i will be able to get just a little more time into it, so that will be on my list, good eye.
Old 14-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Nice One floorman, that's a brilliant start, very close to the photo at first glance. Can you also give me some feedback on the photos? Is there anything you recommend we do when photographing future objects?

Tom
Old 14-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-3DT View Post
Nice One floorman, that's a brilliant start, very close to the photo at first glance. Can you also give me some feedback on the photos? Is there anything you recommend we do when photographing future objects?

Tom
Close-ups on details like the hinge (for example) would be great
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
floorman20
3d Artist

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-3DT View Post

Tom
Thanks for the comment, I appreciate that.

I think the photo reference is great. I can agree with NinthJake to an extent about close ups of the hinges and what not, there was a little left to the imagination, but the ref. pictures are so large that you can really zoom in and get quality reference that way. I think you did all you could, you got all 4 sides and close ups here and there, the rest would be up to the artist to be able to extract the information needed to texture it.

I would say, close-ups on anything high detail, and all sides of the object as squarely as possible, which I think was mostly done anyway.
Old 17-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Hi all, I am going to say that midday on Wednesday GMT is the deadline each week for your final entries to be posted in this thread, at this time I will also announce the next weeks model to make!

cheers

Tom
Old 18-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
floorman20
3d Artist

Awards Showcase
Final Submission

Here we go...
Attached Images

Old 18-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
chichiri

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: rd Place in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 2
I'm so sad I didn't saw this contest sonner, but I'll be in next week.
chichiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Challenge closed

Well done floorman, you are a worthy winner (even if the only entry besides CG's example) but it's still a very high quality model and I am more than happy to give you the gold, please request this award (link in my signature)

Classic Gamer, please request the silver