>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge
bottom-table-gradient

14211 rads test
Old 22-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Week #8 - Park Bridge - Low Poly

Hi All,

As you can see in this thread we have been discussing this park bridge scene for the new photo modelling challenge.

I have noted the comments and decided upon a 3000 poly limit, no large trees or bushes but the foliage/small plants growing in the bricks etc needs to be included. 1024 texture sheet, any textures are cool, normals, specs etc to make it look as near to the photo as possible! As this is how they will be judged.

Ignore that pagoda/bandstand style building in the background. You will obviously have to chop off your models at some point, and I will leave this up to you how you want to do it but you must include all the bridge, and show some of the paths and water

Here is the photo set

Please post your wire, clay, texture sheets and final render in this thread, wip and on topic chat is also fine here too, these challenges are supposed to be fun and we are not too strict on the rules. The only prizes are a gold, silver and bronze awards handed out each week.

We will also post out a couple of t-shirts for 1st and 2nd places.

This one will run for 2 weeks over the holiday period and the deadline will be Wednesday 5th Jan 2011 at midday GMT

Also please note that one of the reasons for these challenges is to help grow our free resource libraries, so the model donations at some point in the future when our system is ready would make us very happy and give a new dimension to the free image library we are building up every week.
Attached Images

Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Awarded 2nd place in the photo-real challenge of the red phone box Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd place in Thai-Monastery Photo Challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
I'm assuming 1024x1024 texture sheet?
Slayer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Warin-3DT
Scientist who falls in love with art

Send a message via MSN to Warin-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer89 View Post
I'm assuming 1024x1024 texture sheet?
yes please, sorry missed that one. Just added this to the brief

"1024 texture sheet, any textures are cool, normals, specs etc to make it look as near to the photo as possible! As this is how they will be judged."
Old 22-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
bb0x
Artificial Soundwave

Send a message via MSN to bb0x
might enter this. Does it need to be realistic? Could we make it cartoony for example?
Old 22-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Awarded 2nd place in the photo-real challenge of the red phone box Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd place in Thai-Monastery Photo Challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0x View Post
might enter this. Does it need to be realistic? Could we make it cartoony for example?
Stated in the original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-3DT View Post
make it look as near to the photo as possible! As this is how they will be judged.
Old 23-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #6
StefanC
the human centipede

Send a message via MSN to StefanC Send a message via Skype™ to StefanC
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Definitely gonna give this one a try

p.s is it a 1024x1024 for everything or per model ?

Last edited by StefanC; 23-12-2010 at 04:50 AM..
StefanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
StefanC
the human centipede

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Hey,

here is an early screenshot of what I have:

deleted poly's that u wont see anyway:
Old 23-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0x View Post
The judging is based on how photo realistic your entry is, but you can try something else for fun if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanC FS View Post
Definitely gonna give this one a try

p.s is it a 1024x1024 for everything or per model ?
yes for everything
Old 23-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
gauravcg
Tessellated....

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Finally the challenge is here......
3k poly limit is really good.....
here is my update so far....hope you like it
Name:  dgf.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  jg.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  35.3 KB

Low Poly Props (Updated)

gauravcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
StefanC
the human centipede

Awards Showcase
Hey, So I'm still working on the low poly version but I'm thinking about how to do the high poly version for later on ... now I assume I have to make this low-poly then unwrap it, make a copy of it and export the parts that I want to take in mudbox for detailing. I'm wondering though cause I'm satisfied with the bridge and other parts that I don't want to take into mudbox, will the low-poly bridge and other parts that will stay low poly in the normal map effect my end result in some way ?
Old 24-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
StefanC
the human centipede

Awards Showcase
hey, little update here, still lots of modeling and tweaking to do...
don't mind the ****ty render :P

Old 26-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
dark_maggot
Carlos Venegas 3D Modeler

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 2
I will make it my new year resolution to enter more challenges starting with this one. I have been way too out of tune with modeling a bit too long.

Cheers.
dark_maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Looking good stefan, hope to see more entries!
Old 28-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #14
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Plan to enter this one as soon as I finish my entry for this other contest
Old 28-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
StefanC
the human centipede

Awards Showcase
hey, very small update here, did some adjustments on the left rocks, did some work on the pillar in the middle and on the wall on the right, also added some plants.