>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Atomhawk Challenge (Sponsored by Wacom)
bottom-table-gradient

14211 rads test
Old 17-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Pteropus
PTEROPUS

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
ATOMHAWK 3D, WIP by Pteropus

Hi everyone I hope I can find time to nail this its going to be a squeeze so lets begin.

The plan: A 50's style classy heroine shot think Norman Rockwell and Barbarella. Her name is AtomHawk her costume could evolve as I work but my initial thoughts are to design some falcon style head gear and winged cape done in a retro style no future shizzle here just simple strong design. Time to make the base be back soon.

Over and Out!

Dan
Pteropus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Pteropus
PTEROPUS

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Idea and bases wip

Just started with the concept idea and mood design I just quickly painted a pinup with the kind of pose I like. I usually paint really bright a vividly for some reason but didn't want to spend too much time doing this so the colors will most probably be a lot less mad on the final, plus started the bases meshes for sculpting. Just getting the proxy models all in as soon as possible next I will make some nice topology on top of these for the other details I will sculpt. I'm really hammering it at the moment (don't know how long that will last lol!) to give myself the tweak time as time is really tight on this one I need that time at the end to sort the hair and eyes and all the bg stuff once that's nailed as early as possible I can work on the typeface and additional detail. I'm knackered already must sleep....One more go on Geo wars first lol

Dan

Name:  concept.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  base.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  clothes.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  133.8 KB
Old 18-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
vry nice so far

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
BradMan

Love your idea and your sketch. Simple and nice. Your proportions are awesome. Can't wait to see the finished artwork.
BradMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Pteropus
PTEROPUS

Awards Showcase
new update

I managed to get some free time over the weekend to get this really moving 2 weeks left and its getting tight so got to start hammering this now, it good because it's forcing me to get a character together quicker so improving my current workflow for character dev. Currently very busy with work so this is a night project from now till completion. I made a few decisions on the design. The typography will be a little like 80's rock type with lightening through it. A simple planetary background with nebula's etc, she will stand on her planet the planet she comes from and her hands will glow with pure atomic force from her body I have designed a headpiece which is basically like a tiara but right now I am working on the skin shader and setting everything up for the render. The eyes I have nearly completed but that took me far too long but needed to really get those right so will have big update soon with the previz render for the poster. More to come this week.

Dan

Name:  boots.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  er.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  skin.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  skin2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  screendump.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  101.9 KB
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
grapix

Awards Showcase
Looks great so far, it 'wont be easy to compete with such skills.
Good luck !
grapix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
elgama

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Looking great, keep up!
elgama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Pteropus
PTEROPUS

Awards Showcase
The narrative.

Ouch, nearly completed. So glad for the extra time, I think I would be stuffed on polish time otherwise.
So the story so far goes... The government have been using HAARP technology as a weapon of mass destruction against human kind. To keep them in check, to effect decisions, to change lives and more importantly to keep them under control. A recent HAARP experiment goes drastically wrong. The only way to stop the ongoing damage is to use a being of atomic power to send the HAARP machine into orbit. This is where Atomhawk comes in. She is born from atoms on planet Mercury and holds enough power to rid the machine and it's effects. More importantly she cannot be harmed by the microwaves. Government secret spy drones are watching the fallout area and wish to use the energy to sell on. They want to keep HAARP running even if it means Eco disasters. To deal with these, Atomhawk summons decommissioned space troop The Shades of Light, 6 Mercury star dusters from the 1960's. They are are the only craft capable of flying faster than light and will destroy any threat that comes their way, aiding Atomhawk on her mission. It's success depends on them. Together they form the 7 shades of light as in the title how it ends is up to you!

Dan
Old 18-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Pteropus
PTEROPUS

Awards Showcase
The final artwork

Hope everyone had a good time it was a pleasure to to work something up for this competition. She went more or less smoothly some technical info for those interested in technique: She is rendered in Maya with mental ray, SSS fast skin for the shader simple 3 point light setup, glossy reflections were achieved through mia materials, Maya hair system for the hair with colour corrections in photoshop, everything was rendered in passes then Photoshop for the composite, texture maps at 4k and final render 4843x3226px @ 300dpi. Thats it, good luck to everybody. I'm totally knackered and need rest before I start my day job lol. Over and out

Software: Zbrush, Maya, Photoshop.

Here is the final shot and wips.

Name:  Dancrossland_final.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  210.7 KB

Name:  wipsheet1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  185.7 KB

Name:  wipsheet2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  wipsheet3.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  143.0 KB
Old 18-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
grapix

Awards Showcase
Great work, my favorit
Good luck !
grapix is offline   Reply With Quote