>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Off-Topic Discussion
bottom-table-gradient

14211 rads test
Old 28-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe Send a message via Skype™ to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Thinking of changing careers!

I feel my time as a CG artist is running short (At least, I'd only continue it to support myself during my career change)
When I got started in cg, ( I think it's been 9 years now, wtf) I was determining weather or not I wanted to get into hardstyle music production but the power of modeling was just too strong. Now though, seeing as it's been so long I'm starting to get bored and for me that may as well be suicide.

Do any of you do this as a hobby on the side and could you give me any advice if I was to make the change at the end of this year. I know a few music production softwares, at least enough to feel confident about this decision but I'm just looking for some insight.

Cheers negras.

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Really sorry to hear that, ur one of the best artist's out there but it sounds like most pro's run out of steam after 10yrs.

I'm not an expert but I have done a little music creation in the past (but I wasn't cut out for it) I used Sony Acid... I think it would be a good idea to learn some theory about general music and pick up a musical instrument such as the keyboard, piano or guitar seeing as that will assist u in the overall music process (if u haven't already done so). But really just download some software (even its free) and some loops and just start jamming... its the only way

Good luck and I hope U find what ur looking for
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Technically the amount of hours I've put into 3D is more like 15 years compared to a normal person. Didn't have a life for a few years there :P
Cheers man, I've got some AGES old gear from when I was thinking of going down this road, but it's back in Australia.
If you have some recommendations for starter gear I'm all ears.

Edit- No need to feel bad, sometimes you gotta risk it to get the biscuit and I've never really given a **** about results, at least not compared to being happy about learning something

Threedy 4 life

Last edited by Sathe; 28-08-2011 at 03:34 AM..
Old 28-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Nah I didn't really do it for long enough to have much to share lol but I think picking up the keyboard is a great thing because u can plug it into ur comp and add synth and do preproduction stuff.
Check out the TV show Projuice they give a great overview of the music creation process.
http://www.projuice.org/pro-juice-tv/series-1/ep1/
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
Thanks!

Threedy 4 life
Old 28-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek Send a message via Skype™ to TekNeek
Change is healthy dude, boredom isn't.

You're an awesome 3D artist and your retiring will be a loss, but do what you feel is right.

If you're working in this industry from some obligation, rather than the love of it, you're simply not in the right place, anymore.

Life's too short to spend it on unhappiness

--Showreel--
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
Hard will always be my home no matter what job I'm doing :P

Threedy 4 life
Old 28-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathe View Post
Hard will always be my home no matter what job I'm doing :P
Bla, bla, bla, there is always soft under the black hard lava.

Modelling surface, modelling sounds, modelling images, modelling pies: that's the same but good luck onto your new way, go get da bEaTs.

No hints and tips for you, know nothing about it.

Change is good when you really need it, too much changes'll get you crazy => remember that.

+1 about TekNeek's comment.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that
I haven't even managed to get into the industry yet, but I have no idea where to go.
I write music on the side as well, but can never finish anything I start.

I wish you the best of luck.

Get a MIDI keyboard, and buy some VST's, and some drum packs

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
patient09

Good luck with whatever path you choose Sathe. Been wondering what you've been up to.

Keep us updated.
patient09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Maybe you don't need a career change but an employment change, instead. Sometimes doing what you love sucks when you're doing it for the wrong person. If I were you, I'd consider starting my own studio and taking on only the work that excites you. It may mean a couple more years of boredom, but once you reach that point, you'll love your job again.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
You could be right man, I don't hate my job though. Maybe the smartest decision is to try and make some changes similar to what you suggested while learning this so I have some backup options.
Either way, I think both are exciting but it's not always easy to just take on jobs that excite you, I don't think many of us are this lucky.
Cheers dude.

Threedy 4 life
Old 28-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Mantis Send a message via MSN to Psycho Mantis
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason:  Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For some brilliant comments on the Lara Thread. Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won in the SMC 34 - Mix Me Baby One More Time Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
you could also just ask your biggest idol - wich is me - when it comes to production of electronic music. iīm a bit p1ssed you didnīt thougth of me in the first place.

Trollpost or GTFO!
Psycho Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
Aleks
Silky smooth

Send a message via ICQ to Aleks Send a message via MSN to Aleks
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My latest model got plugged. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 9
Be a freelancer for a while and do that music thing on the side. I'm pretty sure you've got enough money to keep you afloat for at least half a year. Just don't go cold turkey on CG. You got burned out, quite badly this time, but it's no surprise really, considering just how much you've been working for all this time.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Wow, well I think in the long run you need to be happy mate.

I myself balance the two, both are my hobbies and jobs. I've been self employed as a graphic designer for 12 years, a 3d generalist for 7 & a music producer/remixer for 6 years.

I like you get bored quite easily but juggling both and more activities such as writing (been writing a book on and off for the last 2 years).

On the music sides of things i'm certainly weaker than my designing side of things.

Graphically you are just about unbeaten.... imo you are up there with the likes of Alex Roman, Weta Digital etc.

But that will mean nothing if you are no longer enjoying the process.

On the music side of things i'm been using a friend of mine's studio for the last 4 1/2 years as his setup currently consists of

Soundcraft GB8 Live Sound Mixer
Korg Monotribe Analogue Ribbon Station
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 DJ Controller

I myself use

Sony Acid
Fruity Loops XXL 9
Roland - Gaia Synthesizer
Yamaha - MOX Series 61-Key USB MIDI Controller
My Fender Style Electric Guitar
Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 4 Pro
Focusrite Guitar FX Plug-In Suite
Zoom R24 Multi-Track Recorder Controller
Rode VideoMic Directional Shotgun Microphone

Proessionally i've made a few scores, soundtracks & a few effects for friend animations, i've also made mashups on & off for at least 9 years.

Back in 1999 I was using Musicmatch, recording my CD collection & finding pellas, stems etc on the original Napster and making little remixes and mashes even then.

I agree it can nearly always be the environment your in too, i've been working from home for 10 years and I actually miss the office, the people the banter etc and i'm currently trying to get back into full-time employment with regular hours instead of the occasional 14 hour days i've had in the past.

True you cannot always do exactly what you want to, but you've got to have at least a tiny bit of happiness in your job otherwise there's no point.

My final thing to say would be you definately have a rare talent in 3D...... so at least try to keep it up.... it would be like saying to Mozart stop tinkling those ivories!

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote