Welcome to THE Ninth Speed Sculpting Challenge - Where 1st 2nd and 3rd Places are all getting high detail 3d prints of their winning entries! Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – because there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!
The Prizes: (previous Manimal sculpting challenge winner's prize below)
Our guide for preparing models for 3d printing can also be downloaded here.
The Rules: 1. The competition will last two weeks, which will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition will start.
2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition, from which everyone will start sculpting. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic. You must work only with the base meshes provided and must not add any additional base meshes or Subtools!
3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating – we are relying on your honesty here!
4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.
5. As the base mesh shows, the sculpt is a staff sculpt. Do not sculpt a mage/wizard/sorcerer/warlock alongside it for this competition. Do so in your free time and out of the competition, if you really want to.
6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognisable and on topic.
7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "manage attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.
8. You can have multiple entries, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.
9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Final Submissions thread, here.
These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!
We've attached the supplied base meshes at the bottom of this post. Take them and go subdivide!
The Brief: Time limit: 5 hours Start Date: 30th September, 20:00 GMT+0 Deadline: 14th October, 12:00 GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here) Subject: Magical Staff
Know that the age of magic has once again settled over the land. During these times of arcane manifestations, all has fallen into desolate chaos. What were once vast kingdoms are now crumbled and the armies of men, elves, and all other races battle fiercely, manipulated in secret by powerful lords of magic.
These wizards are few, but they control forces of unimaginable power, ranging from the mastery over the elements to wielding the energies of the dark abyss itself.
Yet for all the forces available to them, these men of power would be as nothing without their legendary weapons of magic channeling, each's own magical staff.
Fellow sculpters, at the start of this dark arcane age, it comes to you to depict these magic staves of immense power. Along with a magical staff, you may decorate it by adding up to three trinkets ( using the base meshes provided ) that can be anything from crystals to windswept ribbons, etc.
As the wyvern flies, now march unto your work.
Your base meshes are attached to this post - simply click on the attachments at the end of this post, save the files and you're on your way!
The base mesh is a basic, featureless tall box ( we really don't want to influence your creative vision on the subject at hand ). You just need to import the staff.obj file into your ZBrush or Mudbox scene, and get started!
You are also allowed to add three trinkets to your staff. As such, use the trinket.obj file up to three times. Please also note that you mustn't add any more objects! Use only what has been provided and nothing more!! This is the challenge after all!
Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 30-09-2008 at 08:21 PM..