>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Modelling, Lighting & Rendering Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
jofflumb

Assistance needed - Hope you can help

Hello,

I have to model a conservatory for a university project and map it onto an actual photograph and don't know were to start??

I am using 3DS Max and have taken some reference photographs of the back of my house. i now need to model the conservatory at an angle similiar to the angle of the photo taken then render asif the photo and the model fit seamlessly.

and i havent a clue how to do this?? can anyone help??

Kind Regards
jofflumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
le1setreter

Send a message via ICQ to le1setreter
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
first model the conservatory the way is should be. about the angle you can worry later. this will be a question for your camera (settings).
le1setreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
First make an outline or low poly version of the conservatory. You could use planes and boxes for this. The important thing is to get the shape and proportions right.

Next, create a camera and set the background image for the viewport as the picture you are matching the model to.

Move and rotate the camera around, including changing it's FOV to match the orientation of the picture. You may need to rescale some parts of the model at this point to make it match exactly.

Once you have it as close as possible, use the low poly model as the template for the actual model. Freeze the low poly details and model the actual parts based on the position of the low poly parts.

Job done!
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modelling