Welcome to the Twentieth Speed Sculpting Challenge, and the first edition of a new, empowered breed of Sculpting Challenges. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!
1. The competition will run until the 30th of November 2009, 12:00 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here); the time between now and then will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition should start.
2. You will be supplying your own base mesh for the competition, from which you will start sculpting. You can create your base mesh in any application ( 3dsmax, Maya, XSI, Cinema4D, Zspheres in Zbrush, etc ) using any technique, with no limits. Do not use an already made base mesh, you must build it specifically for this challenge.
3. There is a fixed time limit for your sculpting. Do not exceed the time limit, it is part of the challenge.
4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.
5. You will have to supply a wireframe screenshot of your base mesh/meshes along with your final entry image ( see rule 7 ).
6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce. If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.
7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it, along with your screenshot of the base meshes used ( see rule 5 ). It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labeling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.
8. You can create multiple sculpts, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.
9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Final Submissions thread.
These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!
1st Place Shapeways - $300 of 3d printing (models must be uploaded to shapeways before judging to qualify) e-on software - Vue 8 Infinite - worth $895 Topogun - Single user licence - worth $100 Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60 2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40 3DTotal - Any 3DTotal book 3DTotal - t-shirt - $?? (priceless!)
2nd Place Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100 Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60 2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20 3DTotal - t-shirt - $?? (priceless!)
3rd Place 3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15 3DTotal - t-shirt - $?? (priceless!)
Deadline: 30th November 2009, 12:00 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)
Subject: Creature of Legend
It is indeed a glorious time for the Sculpting Challenge, as we transcend into a new era for 3DTotal and for the challenges themselves. Starting this month, there will be a global overall theme that each challenge type will conform to for content or philosophy.
For us sculpters, The Creature of Legend series continues. However, this time it is your choice which legendary creature you wish to create. For a comprehensive list of such fantastic creatures, click here.
There is no limit on the number of basemeshes, just on the time you spend on them and the sculpt itself ( which is plentiful at 10 hours ). To give justice to your creature of myth and legend you can now take more time to perfect it to the finest detail.
You can choose a realistic style for your sculpt, but you can also try your hand at a stylized version as well. You can do a head or a bust, but a full body sculpt is extremely recommended.
Very important note:
Let's try this out: Download the free application CamStudio here, and record your progress on the sculpt ( set it to save about one frame per second ). You will not have to display it to the public, only to the judges in case you qualify in the top three. Of course, you don't need to complete the whole sculpt in one sitting, so just resume recording whenever you return to the sculpt ( multiple video recording files are acceptable ). Feedback on this idea is welcome!
Please read all the rules and brief carefully. If there are any further questions, ask and they shall be answered.