>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Armageddon - Dec 2009 > Armageddon - Digital Painting "The Lonely Soldier"
bottom-table-gradient

Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
TimWinkelman

TimWinkelman - The Lonely Soldier

Hello, I'm new here. This is the thumbnail pencil sketch for my entry. The soldier is a little girl with a big gun who will be holding a doll or a teddy bear. It will be kind of cartoony, so I am going to draw it comic book style.

I am going to take this image into Manga Studio to do tighter pencils and ink lines. Then I will color it in Photoshop.
TimWinkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
Welcome. It sweet to have another comic style artist around.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
TimWinkelman

Thanks, I have mostly drawn comics in Ink, but now I am trying to get into digital painting and 3D models. I decided to go with ink lines here partly because it's what I'm comfortable with and partly because this image is going to be kind of cartoony and it seemed like a good style.

Here is a WIP of digital pencils in Manga Studio:

Sorry if the image quality is a little low. I had to take this from a screen shot because Manga Studio didn't want to output my sketch layer and I am not sure why. I shouldn't have this problem when I export the inks.

Some of these lines belong on a sketch layer, but since this is digital I probably should have gone straight to ink with some of it. Now I will have to redraw.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
wow that a big gun. Lol nice...
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
omegamista

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'Revenge' 
Total Awards: 2
Welcome to the forums! We're getting a lot of new people. her legs and feet look a little skinny and knobby but other than that keep up the good work.
Old 29-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
TimWinkelman

Here is another image with preliminary ink work. It has been a busy holiday season with my brother getting married and relatives in town, but now that is over and I think I still have time to finish this.

I still need to put Kirby Dots in the sky. I will probably also do more with the walls and floor and the gun. I haven't decided whether to put more detail into the buildings and really wreck them or if I like them better as big blocky abstract shapes. After the inking is done, I will color this in Photoshop. I will probably be going with a cell shaded style.

This may be the last time I do digital ink. The stylus is not as accurate as a real pen or pencil and the ruler tools feel clumbsy.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
TimWinkelman

Here is the final ink drawing. I am getting a little more comfortable with digital ink now that I am using it more.

I should be able to color this in Photoshop tommorrow. I was going to do cell shaded color, but now I am thinking it will be better to use gradients.

I am probably ripping off Jack Kirby too much in this picture. I will try not to do that next month.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
TimWinkelman

Here is the image with flat colors. Now I just need to embelish it a little more with some airbrushing and gradients.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
TimWinkelman

Here is my final image.
Old 31-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
brian500

Nice work! It looks that you are highly expert blogger. Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content that is forever updated.
brian500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
cristnamartine

Well really nice work done by you your post is excellent and also first one is really nice. Second one is also nice its look color paint and also its really amazing. Another one are also good but its too bright.