>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Prizes, Sponsors & General Discussion
bottom-table-gradient

Old 15-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #61
.seven
game artist

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''Mitch and Floyd'' art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Wow, thanks for the plug!

It's about 12 cm tall if I remember correctly and I don't have a ruler in the real world or at least don't remember where I put one. Mine is still pretty grainy but i think it actually fits the character a bit.

I would have to figure out how to change the iso setting on my camera... it's been ages since I played with it and these are the most recent images I've taken with it
.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #62
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
Noo way I agree about your last statement poopipe (about the rigging)... No way.

Why not though? The reason I raise it is that I've seen plenty of comp winners/finalists (not on threedy in particular) that are built in their "winning" pose and wouldn't deform well when asked to run or jump etc.

Modelling with rigging in mind is essential to a successful game character and I'd be inclined to argue that a game modeller who can't at least skin a character to a skeleton passably isn't really in possession of all the skills they ought to have. *

*do I sound bitter? it's probably because I've spent far too large a portion of my working life repairing models that were built wrong.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #63
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
What if we have an animation (short though) of these large challenges. Or something like that? Definition can come later..

Since speed modelers and sculptors have a lot of shortcut posing tools which they use to make their models pop, they are not rigging it. Then you would deny entry for every good modeler/sculptor who isn't the best rigger... And that contradicts what threedy says about that everyone should join in.

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #64
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .seven View Post
Wow, thanks for the plug!
feel free to claim another golden eye!
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #65
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
What if we have an animation (short though) of these large challenges. Or something like that? Definition can come later..

Since speed modelers and sculptors have a lot of shortcut posing tools which they use to make their models pop, they are not rigging it. Then you would deny entry for every good modeler/sculptor who isn't the best rigger... And that contradicts what threedy says about that everyone should join in.

I'm not saying anyone should be left out. Plenty of people (myself included) enter with full knowledge they're unlikely to win a comp - they do it to learn and improve their skillset. Whether you like doing it or not, rigging is important in game art and I think a game-art competition should reflect that.

Regarding the animation comps, I think the problem with the old ones was that nobody really entered (except maggie and bigtoe ) so it wasn't really worth the admin time.

anyways - I'm not going to stop entering on those grounds, I've always rigged my entries as a matter of course.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #66
ZenMan

Send a message via MSN to ZenMan
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work ''scarlet spiderman beeing ''was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 6
Welld oen Sven, you guys should see his YouTube videos also on modeling and zbrush. Great work
http://www.youtube.com/user/akadotse...21/2FrrzRdVCaQ

http://negativeiso.blogspot.de/

Working In Berlin at the Moment CG Artist/Fashion Photographer

" Be a fanatical follower of your dreams!"
ZenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #67
vincom1111

Hi all,
Nice topic
vincom1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #68
maski06

Ya

To all the 3DTotal staff and mods, you guys rock.

great way to pull everything together and killer first subject. I'm looking forward to seeing all the awesome artwork.
maski06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #69
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
So, no more Monthly challenges?
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #70
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I was wondering if 3DT Staff was planning or discussing the reemergence of specific production challenges (low poly, speed modeling, matte painting, ect). I'm hoping for the low poly challenge to come back, I really liked the game production approach to the challenge, as opposed to the cinematic approach. These last two challenges have produced some amazing work, and it's a great way to include everyone. I just feel that it doesn't cater to the many different divisions in our community.

The thing about digital art (and we are all very aware of this) is that there are many branches that we all go off in. Imagine holding an art contest where people contribute pieces in clay, water color, oils, mixed media, metal and wood. Then, toss those same people into the voting process. It's not that the people of the community aren't capable of seeing good pieces and being able to judge what looks good or not, its that these people have an eye for what they are good at and will judge the entries based on their knowledge of the subject matter from their perspective, IE, a fantastic oil will get great marks from another oil painter, but poor marks from another media, simply because the other media wouldn't be able to appreciate the great skill and technique from the oil painter, ect.
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #71
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
yeah we are planning to start these challenges in a couple of weeks, we just got a lot on at the moment.

Thanks

Tom
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #72
lenco12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
Your opinions will be taken into account and will be discussed with fellow mods as and when we can.

CG.
Back, long time ago i won SMC with a default gray matterial model and i have to say how i missed those days. It was just modeling and not Speed Post Production challenge :P