>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 22-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Dominace War V-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

Alright, DW5 is finally underway! I had to miss out on the first 5 days, but I'm finally ready to start a move on my character.

I've really enjoyed seeing the "living mountain" type characters that have been in the past DW's (L3XICON fantastic DW3 entry being my favorite). It's an idea I've wanted to try out my own designs with for a while now, and this God theme gives me the perfect excuse.

I'd like to do something different than "giant dude with castle on head", I'm thinking of going less human design wise and more creature, maybe a-kin to the Colossi from Shadows of the Colossus.

My "living mountain" would be the site of an ancient battle, where two armies waged war upon the mountainside. The entire "body" of the colossus would show the history of the battle. The thing I'd like to show off the most with this character would be "ridiculous scale", I'd like the character to be by far the largest character in this year's DW, and to really show off that scale with as many details as I can.

I'm currently just collecting ref, and should hopefully begin thumb nailing tomorrow. And, yes, I will be listening to Wagner probably for this entire competition.
Attached Images

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
miclepickle

Send a message via AIM to miclepickle
hehe... I like that picture.. ...

and I like the idea but I am not sure how you would present the model without there being a landscape to put it in...

Portfolio-
MCampbell3d.blogspot.com
miclepickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
hmmm....another great project of you in perspective! looking forward the next...
good luck Puckducker!
Old 22-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom Send a message via Skype™ to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Love the idea!
Old 22-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Nice Puckducker! Can't wait to see what you come up with this year.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Nice to see you again puck, will follow your thread, good luck.
Old 22-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Nice to see you here for this one, I was wondering if you would enter da war.
Gl man, promising concept, seems it'll be a quantitatively big lill' details work.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Puckducker

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Holy smokes, you know those weeks where you're just busy virtually every single day? That was my week this week, and it felt like every time I got a chance to sit down and work, I wasn't quite getting into the groove yet.

I feel pretty groovy now though, getting a rough concept down that I'm fairly happy with. I started out with some sil's, but wasn't very happy with them, especially given they were very difficult to try and show off any sense of scale I want to create.

So I ended up doing a concept that was a little more developed, and now the design is starting to catch for me. Still have a lot I'd like to do with it before I feel comfortable modeling, but the elements are in place now. I'd like for the top of this dude to be the full mountain/volcano range, with an entire city/village, and then below that he'll be made out of the core of the earth, potentially with a molten lava core at his center.
Attached Images

CURRENT WIP:

Old 26-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
7 or last one. This scale thing will be really important during your work.
The equilibrium onto the image too, you're playing with elements.

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
Old 26-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I think you should be able to get a decent sense of scale with the town and all that. My only suggestion would be that I'd like him to be a little more creature and a little less "man with a volcano on his back". In that regard, I really like the concepts 5 and 6 in your silhouette sheets. If you're more comfortable with the human form tho go with that.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
Will you be making him in pose?
Old 26-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Puckducker

Awards Showcase
washka: Agreed...actually, I'm hoping the lava flow from the volcano will let me do some fun things with making the scale feel huge.

Warlock 279: Yeah that was my original intention, but the concepts for the more "creature" looking ones were really lacking in that ethereal "god like" quality. Not that you need a human look to get the god look, but I feel like the bipedal upright character has a basic level of intelligence and sophistication everyone can easily relate to. I do agree that my guy is too humanoid at the moment, and I would like to push it more away from that.

koyima: Yeah, I think so, I'll probably pose him after I do a few initial modeling/sculpting passes.

I tried a run at a few head passes, specifically trying to get away from the human look. I think I really like the direction 5/6 is heading, the main distinction between the two being one is meant to be a definite "skull head" where the other is only meant to suggest a face as lava flows out of various cracks and holes in the mountainside. I think maybe trying to bring in some of the structure of head 2 as well could provide good results.
Attached Images

CURRENT WIP:

Old 26-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
definitely go with number 5 in my opionion!
Old 26-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
5,6 too

Old 26-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For throwing one hell of a good suggestion out there. You suggested the sculpting challenge, and we ran with it. The community loves it. Nice one! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: your testicles Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 10
I think 6 is getting there, it's got a face but it fits more organically into the whole structure. It not just a head slapped on like some of the others.

He's also going need something to reference his scale. Take the background out when you look at him, he could be small as a pebble with out the reference of the mountains behind him.

The mysterious guy behind you...
DeadlyFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote