>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 29-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Klx

Statue w.i.p

Hi all,

I'm currently working on this and would just like to receive some feedback on the progress so far before I carry on into zBrush.

I have still got a lot of tweaking to do and Im not too sure about the limbs but Ill see how they look after some hands and feet added.

Can you see anything wrong with the proportions or any part of the mesh? I know there are a few 5-poles about, however there not creating too much of a problem at the moment and this mesh will only be rigged into a stationary position, not animated. I have been using my own references and im not sure if its how my model was standing at the time or something else but the central line of gravity looks a bit off too.

Thanks for your time
Klx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
parleee
Canadian, eh?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: roducing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 4
Good start.

Couple things though, while the overall proportions are decent a few details are really off. First and foremost, his groin is about a full head lower than it should be, and since his hips are where they should be, this makes his torso look...odd. That's the only glaring anatomy issue I see, though his spine could do with more curvature. (On that note, try to build in a more relaxed state, especially with the arms and hands, it'll help wit the rigging a ton.)

As far as topology goes, you've got a good flow going. It's denser than it really needs to be, but it looks clean anyways. I'd definitely rework the ribcage/abdomen area though, the topology loses its magic here, and becomes pretty gridlike. With that number of loops in circulation, you should have twice as much detail, easy.

Looking forwards to progress.
parleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Klx

I see what you mean about the groin and the other areas, ill see to them as soon as I finish the hands and feet.

I decided to line up the back of the ear with the shoulders and feet. It looks fine but there is something nagging me that it isn’t correct. Is there a general rule of thumb, about the body lining up in the side profile, with the skull keeping in line with the shoulders, hips and feet?

As soon as I’ve made the changes I‘ll get some pic’s posted up.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 31-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Klx

Ok I have hit a fork in the road and need to get this clarified before I carry on with this project.

My university tutor has complained about my mesh, saying he would like to see a lot less poles in the mesh as this will create problems if animated. Which I agree with and understand, however this mesh is only going to be moved into a standing pose and further worked on in zBrush. I have tested the pole areas and there doesnt seem to be any issues with them.

The final result will be (fingers crossed) A mesh in a standing position with the left arm outstretched reaching for an object in the form of a stone statue. The detail will be in the subtlety of muscle tension in the arm stretched out, along with body weight being portrayed on the figure correctly. (Nothing extreme)

So my question is this, Should I remake the mesh with quads or is it acceptable as it is?
I understand in a working environment that the topology will change from mesh to mesh depending on what you want the model to do.

I have only just started character modelling so I thought it would be best for my first show reel piece to show that I have the general understanding of the human body before I move on to the more complex stuff and doing a eschorce model.

Would this be acceptable mesh to present to an employer for work experience in games or film?

Am I going along the right lines here, or should I start again?

Cheers

Klxxy
Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Klx

update!

Ok, so I have managed to get the hands and feet done. I'm not too chuffed with my hands and ill think Ill do a modelling study on them over the summer to make sure I get them done correctly.

Im not sure how to go about the next stage though. Should I rig the mesh first then export it to zbrush or should I do it the other way round? I could do a bump map but I really wanted to do a highpoly model and I dont really know how to use the transpose tool in Zbrush yet.

Feedback always welcome

Klixxy
Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
parleee
Canadian, eh?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: roducing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 4
Couple things. First, the groin is still too low -- you've got his legs beginning where the phallus would end, which really throws the whole model off. Keep in mind this refers to the front only, the back looks ok.

Next, the hands are way too small, you could stand to double their size.

In regards to the whole poles thing, your going to have issues with the elbows, I'd rethink the topology around them, the rest looks fine to me (In terms of flow.) The whole model could use some serious refinement -- you've defined a lot of muscle groups with your topology, without giving them much shape beyond that. What that means is that the level of detail visible on your clay could be attained with fewer than half of the polies you used. So I think you could work on mesh efficiency a little more -- try to use the bare minimum number of polies, cutting in new loops only when you must.

I'd like to see some stronger anatomy too -- there's any number of issues here that some thorough reference study would fix. (I'd really recommend Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet.)

Best of luck.
parleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Klx

Quick Update

Just a quick update on the proportions before I start to tweak the verts to get a more defined shape.

I tried to measure out the head lengths as best as possible to get the groin in the right area, along with increasing the hand size.

Feedback always welcome