>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 27-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #61
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Send a message via Skype™ to RogerP
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgan View Post
Don't know about using the same scales on the belt has on the legs though
Agreed, looks like you founded the same alpha I used for my mermaids scales Does the belt have normals applied or is it a low res of your sculpt, everything looks a bit blurry right now.

Keep up the good work!!!

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #62
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
Thanks guys!

Kirgan, I'm gonna change the belt texture, since I find that the scales much the pants. I also had another design in the belt before, but I just couldn't handle a proper render with normal maps and discarded the design.

cuban, it's a low poly with ptex displacement. Right now I just can't believe the detail on the clothing is all displacement, it's pure shape, no normal mapping, no specular reflections, just pure detail with a three point lighting. So I expect to improve the sharpness of it all with a proper shader.

The render times are ridiculously short for such an amount of detail. The belt was rendered in less than 1 min and a half.

Compared to vector displacement and a few other techniques I tried before using my UV maps....

Oh man, those UV's made me lose so much precious time :S

I found on ptex a perfect solution for my needs.

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #63
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Send a message via Skype™ to RogerP
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
Don't know if you use Max at all, but if you do this is a great unwrapping tool. I love it http://www.raylightgames.com/xrayunwrap/index.html

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #64
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
There are so many interesting things on Mudbox actually. For instance, you paint on a predefined size texture mappings. When you create a layer, you set up the image size. This way, whatever subdivision level you're workin' in, you see the full size texture and can paint all the detail. That's a huge improvement.

Also, being able to paint the bump map in real time, and see the effect it has on the surface of your model. For instance, the skin grain and very very small detail, can be achieved this way without going crazy in the poly count by just having a 4k texture in the bump channel.
Moreover, you can take this layer and import it into the diffuse channel and change the blending mode achieving incredible effects without having to do this on an external 2d painting soft.

Only drawback is that my comp literally dies at a certain level of texture layers.

On the other side, ptex, what a great improvement in my workflow. I don't do it in the way the help states. I don't set up the density of the detail on the base mesh. I just export ptex files instead of regular 2D images and I think that this process is driven by the UV's some how. The great thing about it is that the seams completely dissappear. And they go along with some other artifacts I had.

Cuban, I have my UV's already unwrapped, the problem was at rendering. I need to improve on that part, because if I plan to bring a model of mine to a game engine, it won't support ptex files. And if I aim to a game engine, I'm talking about unity or UDK for mobile platforms since I cannot arrange complex projects right now. Anyways, I really appreciate the interest and the tips I'll d/l that unwrapper. Now I've got 10 days left and I'm texturing 24/7 hehehe I don't have time for a change in my wf right now. The result I got is by far, the best renders I've ever done. This is about a static image at the end, so although I could improve a bit being more... "correct", I need to deliver the image in the best way I can which right now is ptex.

On a side note, I'm experimenting with the way Scott Spencer maps the skin, painting a layer with cold/hot areas. With mudbox, I can set the transparency of the layer about this one, adjusting it perfectly.

I'm quite impressed with Mudbox to be honest.

If I had to buy the latest version of zBrush or Mudbox (and only one of them) I'd be in trouble

Blog
Old 17-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #65
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Although this is my entry to the Mudbox Armed and Dangerous contest, I don't think it's finished, posing and rendering could be much better. So... I think it's a work in progress and I'll put it here by now. I've been quite bussy learning hundreds of things (mostly like you all do) and I didn't keep this thread as updated as I'd like to and since I think i belong here i'll keep to process upadted in this place.

And some model sheets:

Improvement points:
- I can rework the props to be more consistent in the whole model.
- Textures appart from the skin need some work.
- Posing was weird, I couldn't use propper displacement maps on my final possed character and that was quite dissapointing. I didn't have the time to correct that either. This is a point where I can greatly improve, which is the workflow I follow.
- Rendering... oh my... I forgot how hard shading is. My character could have done it for a real time contest, but I need to put a lot more of work on shaders.

- Oh!! And the feet color saturation was different than the rest of the skin..... and I scored again

Thanks!!

Blog
Old 17-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #66
Fynn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mount Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
nice model
another point i think is that you could add some different colours to the face or add highlights to let it pop out more
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #67
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I'm doing some shader testing on the model, I pretend it to have a soft skin, something between reptile and fish, that's why it has some sss on it. Tell me what do you think!

Also tried out some leather/metal shaders on the shoulder pad. I'm still not happy with the leather bump map and the metal highlights, but it's looking a ton better.

Thanks!

Blog
Old 19-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #68
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
i'd say i like it . with first render tests i thought you'll wash all of his details away by=ut with new materials it looks realy good. only increas sss depth cause now it doesnt show much scatter .
what render are you using? v-ray or mental ray?
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #69
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Thanks paulius,

These images are a proof of concept of 32bit displacement and materials in mental ray.

First render (the one I submitted) is done with vray. The (long) night before dead line I spent hours trying to figure out why my vrayDisplacementMod was not smoothing the low poly edges since in previous tests I achieved that. I was using ptex textures for displacement and diffuse channels, but it was killing my comp to work with them in mudbox.

My brother is a vfx artist and did attend a 5 years arts degree in college. Since he uses Maya/MR, in order to get some help from him, I'm switching to Mental Ray in max.

Now I just need to tweak the materials, repaint some stuff and pose the model again.
I'll start with the SSS parameters. I got this render mainly because of the overal diffuse texture, and I've read that this map's pupose is not the main color provider. I'll end up doing maps for all 3 channels in the sss skin material I fear I don't want a plain redish color in the subdermal channel for all the model body.

Thanks for the tips, this is gonna be quite iterative and having a nice feedback is quite important for me.

About washin' the details and blowing them away... I wanna get to a middle point where details are still present but the skin looks soft, frog alike.

Thanks!

I'm not like redoing a lot of stuff but trying to achieve the best result I can with the things I've got.

Blog
Old 20-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #70
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
New pose, now he's a rock star I just need to put the sword in place.

I decided to change the mod of the picture for something not that dark and replace the mistery with this heroic pose.

I can try out a different lighting with this one.

Thanks!

Blog
Old 20-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #71
Fynn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mount Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
you should change the angle of the shoulders because now it looks a bit stiff
im looking forward to the final image
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #72
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
After some pose corrections, I did another test render, Now I'm working further in the materials and I'll have to repaint the belt and sword since I'm not quite happy with those textures.

Thank you Fynn!!

Blog
Old 25-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #73
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Update:

- I think I've got what I was looking for in the skin shader and also the shoulder pad

- I need to tweak the light a bit more and next item is trousers shader in my list.

(I had to do some photoshop for the background and I didn't put a lot of attention to details so there's some strange halo in the sillouette and some artifacts on the head. This won't be there on the final image)

Thanks!

Blog
Old 27-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #74
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I like the new renders a lot better. Nice pose too and I like that you made it so we can make out some of the details you put so much work into.

Awesome update, epic pose. Nothing to crit here.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #75
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Updates:

I moved back to Vray and although there's still stuff to be done I'd like to share the current lighting with you guys

http://lapsusmental.files.wordpress...._vr_png002.png

About illumination:
- I think I'll add some lights to catch specular reflections on some parts of the model, what do you think? I'd like to achieve some kind of wet effect on the skin, but don't want it to look like plastic.

To be done:
- Final pedestal.
- Belts, sword, feet and eyes shader.
- Final background.
- Just noticed something went wrong with shoulder pad displacement, gotta review that!

Right now appart from my job as consultant, I'm doing some iPhone development and I hate having only 1 or 2 hours a week for 3D but... that's life, I'll probably buy a new comp or a new wacom with the iPhone app income (My bamboo is about to catch in fire hehe but I'm still surprises me how durable this device is) ^^

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 15-05-2012 at 09:26 AM..