>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 15-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
wester

Charmander Redesign

So i've decided to pay a small homage to something that played a pretty big part in my childhood. I used to be obsessed with pokemon as a child and it really pushed me creatively and artistically.

I just wrapped up my last project and have some freetime to work on this guy. I'm going for a cinematic/movie quality model. I'm going to rig him and get one of my animator friends to animate him walking. I'm also going to do some fire particle effects for his tail and maybe a puff of fire during his walk cycle. Ultimately I wanted a pretty strong portfolio piece as i'm trying to get out of game art and into film/tv modeling. I think that doing a dinosaur type creature would benefit me in that respect.

So here's what i have so far on my Charmander redesign.

Attached Images

Last edited by wester; 11-06-2012 at 07:30 PM..
wester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
WildDUcK

much more violent version ^^ i like it.
But on the original, the fire looks more like a torch no? Yours looks like his skin is on fire (by the way the fire could be a bit more cartoonish to fit with the rest i think)

Keep it up !!
Old 15-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
I agree with wild duck, the fire was at the end of his tail
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
Total Awards: 3
badass dude, nice job on the scales I know how tedious they can be

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
wester

Ehhhhh, I want to steer away from stylized or cartoonish. The point of this for me is to make it as realistic and plausible as i can. I want the flames to kind of slightly falloff towards his back as i feel like having just a single torched flame would look too stylized. It may be abit too extreme in my concept though.

The fire is going to be made in maya with particles to look as realistic as i can.

Yeah those scales were pretty painful but kind of therapeutic to sculpt.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 15-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Total Awards: 9
realistic pokemon would be the most awesome series ever. well, the first 150 at least. what are there now like 6000?

model and render look great! you better do all 3 forms
sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
wester

Yeah i agree with you Sarn. I'm going to try to do a quick shot of this guy on a live action plate. There are a couple fan films out there but they're horrible. I have some animator friends willing to work on it with me so hopefully by the end of this i have a pokemon short <------nerd

Also i'm not doing all 3 forms just going to see this one through and maybe revisit it in the future.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
wester

Here's an update. Since i bowed out of the sci fi short film i was helping out on i decided to pick back up on this model.

Texturing progress.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
wester

I am reminded how little about mental ray i actually know when i work on this haha.

The SSS on his mouth is going to be an interesting learning experience for me.

Old 14-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
luanpestana
Luan_Pestana

wow, very nice, its face reminded me the baby godzilla
luanpestana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
wester

Thanks luanpestana! Ha yeah i used them and the little yoshi dinosaur from the mario live action. Both just awful awful movies but had the look i wanted for this guy

Here's some progress. Finished his mouth, tongue and teeth. Moving on to the claws next, then having a buddy do fire effects for his tail and then rigging/animation.

Old 15-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I bet that if you posed his head a little higher up it would; A: fix his head size to tail size balance issues and also resemble the original even more. I would also like to see some color tests, maybe up the saturation in the orange top skin and yellow under skin. Play with that, I'm curious as to how close you can get the resemblance to the original while still gaining your realism.

Great work so far, I love it. Always wanted to make a whole host of realistic pokemon
Old 23-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
wester

One of my buddies is doing the fire effects and rig for me right now. Here's his progress on it. Some crits i gave him were that the fire was all together too big making his tail look small, I wanted it to match my concept closer. I wanted the flames to be fairly smaller, and get bigger as they reach the tip of the tail. I also want the top of the tail to be on fire, not so much the entire tail.

-----Fire Effect WIP-----
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
wester

Almost finished him up. It's taking awhile since things at work are picking up. Hopefully going to try to finish his base up next weekend and call it done.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
WildDUcK

Really nice just the flames looks like a photoshop modification and could be improved i think. Love the smoke from the nose