>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art
bottom-table-gradient

Old 13-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Unnamed RPG/Dungeon Crawler 3D Art

I'm a freeware game developer, and I've just started working on this small project. This will be a dungeon crawler with a lot of influence from the RPG genre. I only have some engines ready, and have only started working on the 3D art. Any critique is appreciated. One of my aims is to create a nice-looking game while using the least possible resources. You can visit my site or our Facebook Page for more information.

(If this post shouldn't be here, please re/move it)

All the dungeons will be procedurally generated. That means that once you enter the dungeon, the paths will be generated and the models will be loaded.

This is the first thing I did. The wall only has 6 vertices - one in each corner, and two in the middle of the of the longer part. In theory, I could have done without these, but they make collisions much better.

The following screenshots shows two walls side-by-side. They both have the same material - a diffuse map and a noise map. The maps are 512 x 512 pixels. Any critique is greatly appreciated.

Without Normal Map:

With Normal Map:

In case I want it to look wet:

Last edited by MemoNick; 13-04-2012 at 12:20 PM..
MemoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Be very detailed with the texture. If you want the wall to look great and not just good, play with subtle variations with the bricks. Since its a 'dungeon crawler' make it look like its been there a while. Scuff marks, variations in the color, some slight cracks, evidence of past paint jobs, etc. Really sell the texture and the player will love it all the more.
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatsetschaos! Thank you:
MemoNick (13-04-2012)
Old 13-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Will certainly take a look at your suggestions. Maybe one foul I've done so far is the lack of reference material. Will try to improve on that. I'll also be using parallax mapping to make the stone look more like stone. So, for example, cracks would look more like cracks.

Thanks

Last edited by MemoNick; 13-04-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Old 14-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Continued working on the wall. Would appreciate your input. Parallax Mapping (Displacement) makes walls look much better.

Old 15-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Good progress. Make the cracks more subtle, add another subtle layer of bump under your main bump (this will break up the patterns you put in and make it look more irregular, perfect for old dungeons) darken the bottom of the wall, light doesn't get there as easily, add some water stains coming from the ceiling and places where bricks are missing, add some mold on the bottom and you have my paint over.

It's certainly not perfect by any means, but this is what I was suggesting.

Keep up the good work!
Attached Images

Old 15-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Great suggestions. Will implement them.
Old 15-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
I've continued working on the wall, and I'm quite pleased with the result:

@setschaos, regarding light: "light doesn't get there as easily" - the lights will be torches, and therefore that will be taken care of automatically.

Last edited by MemoNick; 15-04-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 15-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Ok, that's fine, just keep in mind that lights and reactive textures take up a lot more memory than static textures. It's often a better use of RAM for the user if you take something like a torch, place it where you want it and bake the light into the static texture.

But if that's something you have budgeted for and have it set in your mind, it's often the most appealing option aesthetically.

Looking forward to more progress.
Old 15-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
It does take up space, unfortunately. However, the dungeons will be procedurally generated and thus it would be simpler to do this. On the other hand, I have a set of rules I made up myself to free up RAM. One of the most important things is:

- Rooms will only be attached to the scene when you enter in them, and removed from the scene once you exit. jME (the engine) renders everything in front of the camera even if it is hidden from view. Thus, this will remove a lot of unneeded things.

Also, one wall only has two quads. Parallax mapping will only be used for walls to make them as realistic as possible.
Old 18-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
After a lot of time working, I've finally finished texturing walls - and I'm quite pleased with the result. That is, considering the performance I get. In fact, as you can see from the new screenshot, the Frame Rate is over 2000 with about 200 walls being displayed! Tomorrow, I will work on the floor, which should take less time to complete.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Looks great!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
I created the first model - the lectern.

Lectern Wireframe Render:

Lectern Beauty Render (Fire Light Effect):

Modeling Time: ~7 hrs
Texturing Time: ~3 hrs

Tris: 414
Old 13-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Rendered wireframes make it really hard to see the poly flow but it does look as if you have a lot of unnecessary triangles in there as it could easily be done in less than 100 triangles fully modelled, or in 68 triangles with a little bit of two-sided texture cheating on the front cloth as follows

- 10 triangles for the base (no face on the bottom)
- 8 for each of the legs (no top or bottom faces)
- 12 triangles for the top
- 10 triangles each for boxes on top of the top
- 2 triangles for the front cloth using a double-sided texture

10+8+8+8+12+10+10+2 = 68 triangles

The paper on top of the lectern would be texture mapped

If your engine needs everything to be solid then you would add 14 triangles to close off the base and legs, plus another 10 for the front cloth to turn it back into a box, so 92 triangles in total

And just to finish things off, as you would have a collection of meshes making up a single object you would also need a bounding box for your collision detection

My physical model shop: Buy my crap

Last edited by Perversonality; 13-07-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
The cloth alone has a lot of triangles since it has a cloth modifier to make it more realistic.

Also, what do you mean by two-sided texture cheating?

Regarding your last sentence: "And just to finish things off, as you would have a collection of meshes making up a single object you would also need a bounding box for your collision detection"

The bounding box would be done in the Game Engine itself, no?

Edit: I brought it down to 266 traingles, 133 polygons, but I can't see much more I can reduce.

Were you talking about triangles or polygons? I'm using quads to model, and I can't see how I can reduce the model to 34 polygons :O

Last edited by MemoNick; 14-07-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Old 14-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
If the cloth is going to deform then keeping a higher poly count is fine

I was talking about triangles the whole way through as it's a more accurate count than polygons and any number of triangles can make up a polygon (1 for a triangle, 2 for a quad and so on)

Two-sided textures means that you have, for example, a face made up of two triangles and a texture applied to it which can be seen on both sides of the face, regardless of the fact that the normals would only normally point in one direction for a single-sided face

Yep, the bounding box would be done in the game engine so I didn't include it in the triangle counts

I'll knock up a quick model to show you how this could be made from 68 triangles

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote