>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Animation & Rigging Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 15-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
automatic squash and stretch

ive been looking about for ways to add some sort of automatic squash and stretch to mocap data

i want to achieve a more cartoon style motion to the mocap data

does anybody know if this is possible in some way ?

found this but =

The cartoon animation filter =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOVOEv1GZs

does anybody know if this is possible
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
It wouldn't be trivial to write something that automated it at all and imo its such a subjective and contextual thing that it really needs to be done by hand.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
yeah i just debating whether to use mocap or not coz it looks to clean

shame coz my keyframing sucks

Last edited by needse; 15-04-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Old 16-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
found this

http://www.reallusion.com/ContentSto...1/default.aspx
Old 17-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
honestly mate - I don't see the benefit of buying something like that.

cartoon walks etc. are really expressive so use of a generic "toon" animation is either going to give you something dead or wrong. It won't give you anything you couldn't adapt from plain old mocap anyways I dont think.

You're better off spending the money on this and doing it all yourself if you ask me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Animator...4649604&sr=1-5

I find animation very, very hard work. My timing is naturally crappy (hence me not being a famous rock star) so even though I can put stuff in poses I have trouble making it flow properly. I'm also an appalling actor (hence me not being a famous movie star) so I can't decide what poses to put things in. The one tip I can give you is to work to a soundtrack, it pretty much automatically fixes your timing and it gives you an emotional cue for the poses.

I say give it a crack - assuming you've storyboarded, if you haven't do that first - in detail

Old 17-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
cheers for the tips again poop i will add that pile of books to my list of books i want/need

yeah i know im just trying to think of any way to speed the process up lol not a good idea again

me neither mate, im not a rock star/movie star so looks like i need to go back to basics like ya saying. which aint a bad thing

on the plus side sussing out mb now. curves and story mode etc and i find it alot easy to aniamte etc in that than i do in CAT so maybe another 5 years and i will have a decent tonny style walk cycle lol

them motions are good as reference now

as for storyboard i do have one but dont like it ( not enough action ) so i need a rework on that i may cut some important peices out of the story lines and create a kinda montage of action seqs as if they were clips from different episodes

Last edited by needse; 17-04-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Old 17-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
seems theres a dvd of that book

http://www.theanimatorssurvivalkit.com/

just running through the clips theres some interesting stuff

oh thats alright its only 760.85 incl. VAT. lol think i will get the book
Attached Images

Last edited by needse; 17-04-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Old 17-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
what would you say the best way to do the face animation with bone rig.

morph targets in max ? or should be putting in motion builder ?

not gonna do laods of talking but i would like to puit some words in there somewhere

Last edited by needse; 17-04-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 17-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
I favour morphs cos theyre much easier to manage and you get better quality to rig complexity ratio.

You need 7 or 8 visemes to cover English

I usually get a fully expressive face out of around 36 targets. that's independent left and right targets and visemes included.
I create my morphs in zbrush for one side of the face and flip/skinwrap in max to create the other side. .its really quick and simple that way.

Look up Athey on here, she had a morph mirroring tutorial linked off her signature.

bone rig wise..
a good setup with pose saving/loading, clever blending etc. is great and potentially more flexible than a morphs rig but a whole lot of effort to put together -not to mention skin properly.

theres a video online about the face rigging they did on gears of war that uses shared morphs to drive a bone rig. its maya in the video but i set up the same thing relatively quickly in max.

Old 17-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
ok thanks for info

i will check athey out see what i can find

the face is already skinned to the bones (if you didnt know)

just regoing over the wights now just need a good method to drive it

i will have a look at saving poses aswell
Attached Images

Old 17-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
also i got a problem with the horse rig (this is straight out of max no editing ive just added a 2 legs motion to it but the front legs keep rotating and i cant seem to fix it
any ideas i know i gotta alot of questions sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwuA...ature=youtu.be