>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The Concept Art Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
mrede - fanart - ironman

Hi there, my first post and also my first challenge! Subject is the famous Ironman that I want to create slightly different to the known versions. My goal is to make him more sporty because the original one from the movies is a bit too...let's say showy The final entry will just be a drawing because my abilities in 3d don't allow me to throw out a cool piece yet (maybe in the future)

The first picture shows a simple reference card. It's just a melting of ideas that came to my mind...classic color theme of a Dodge Viper, straight and edgy body of the War Machine and something like a massive laser blaster on the shoulder.

Ok, this is the lineart...simple but with all neccessary information in it.

This is what I've done so far...

I've no ideas for a background at the moment...will face this, if I've completed the rest...

thanks for watching!
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie 
Total Awards: 3
This ironman is looking good. I like the pose and I like the colour scheme you have chosen. The gun looks a bit too big for me. And maybe his left leg (from the knee down) a touch too short/small with respect to the other one.
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Your lineart looks really great ! With this position, he's ready for battle (a graphic battle of course) !

The colors you chose are much more interesting than the usual orange/yellow. It makes the technology of the armor more credible.

Hope seeing more soon.
Born8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
@ignacio: thanks for your hint...the leg/foot was too short - fixed it I'll leave the blaster as it is for now... maybe I'll change it later...

@Born8th: jepp, orange is a bit old fashioned and those cold, not super reflective colours are more suitable for modern armors...in my opinion

okidok, as Mr. Born8th wished: some progress. I changed a few things here and there, got rid of the lineart and tried something for the background...I thing that I'm going to put him in an warlike environment since this suit was originally made for battles...

crits/comments are welcome!

Old 21-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
mwrede

Awards Showcase
work in progress: I changed the kneepads and the position of the left leg...it looked a bit oddly twisted underneath the left knee...some minor changes and some details added in the background...

Old 21-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Total Awards: 1
This is looking great so far mwrede!:)

I really like the first colour sketch because the lines makes the armor seem a bit gritty. The rendering you’ve done now is nice, but I would like to see some more dirt and scratches on the armor – as if he’s just been fighting in it.

I also like the design changes you’ve made, but I think it would be more recognizable as Ironman if you kept the circular power source that’s usually placed in the chest of Ironman.

Good luck!:D
agoliversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie 
The changes worked. Its looking quite good. It will be good to see how you do the background.
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
mwrede

Awards Showcase
@agoliversen: you're right...I will add the circular power source and scratches/dirt to make him fit better into this war scenario. Thanks, man.

@ignacio: thanks a lot...don't expect too much from the background I'll keep it pretty loose to be more focused on the character!

time's running, baby!!! I fulfilled another condition of this contest: the construction sheet!

Old 25-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Good job on the construction sheet mwrede! I'm looking forward to the next update on the painting:)
Old 27-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
mwrede

Awards Showcase
thanks, ago. The construction sheet is pretty sketchy but you'll get the idea.

oki, it's done. I'm going to post the final Ironman pic directly in the final section to avoid double postings. I just want to thank everybody for commenting and/ or visiting this thread. It took me ages to paint this guy but all efforts have paid off and I learned a lot!
Old 29-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
mwrede

Awards Showcase
okay, my girlfriend told me to show the final pic in this thread too I hope that you like it. good luck to everyone for the poll!

Old 29-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Awesome! Well done and good luck to you too in the poll:)
Old 30-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #13
Millie5

This is great work done by you. Even awesome, I like it.. But Gun seems to be little big for me.. So smart knees and legs no doubt. But appreciated work..

plagiarismdetector.net/ | http://adriaairways.org | royal ascot hotel dubai contact

Last edited by Millie5; 29-01-2014 at 03:48 AM..
Millie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
karyaali
we gonnaa die young :)

Send a message via Skype™ to karyaali
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place In SMC #92 
good work mate..its awsome
karyaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
mwrede

Awards Showcase
thanks a lot, guys...meanwhile I'd change one or two things (blurry BG, more technical approach to forearms/ hands etc)...overall I'm still happy with this version though!