>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat
bottom-table-gradient

Old 19-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
renegade5uk

Help, please. Need some answers to questions

Hi all,

Im new here and this is my first post. Im a 3rd year Games Computing student studying at the University of Lincoln. As a 3rd year i am required to undergo a dissertation, for mine i have chosen to focus on "gender stereotyping within games". So as designers and modellers i need your help!

Could you please take the time out of your busy schedules to answer some questions in regards to above subject. Thankyou to all who post, all details of identity will be changed unless you state otherwise.

If you dont wish to post on here, then simply copy into a word doc and send it to renegade5uk@hotmail.com. Thanks for reading this and replying aswell.

Questions as follows:
1. When creating a character, what is your main focus in regards to their main physical apperance?
2. Does this change at all much between male and female character design?
3. What is your stance on the hypersexual design of female characters in games at the moment?
4. Do you think this would change if more women were involved in designing characters, if not why?
5. Do you think that game design and character modeling would benefit more from female filling posiitions within the industry, if not why?
6. Do you think that the games market at the moment only focuses on designing games more for the more dominant male ratio of players?
7. Do you see this changing in coming years or do you feel that men are too dominant at the moment fot this to change?

Thank you all again for reading this and taking the time to respond.
Kind regards,
Aaron Parnell
renegade5uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
Hi, wellcome to threedy and here are my answers :
1. if the character must be stylised than i usualy aim for strongest features that resemble the character the best and try to capture as much charizma as i can. and as allways - silhuete must be strong.
as for realistic characters - anatomy and resonable amount of detail gets the most atention.
2. not realy. for femail characters i try to capture more subtile look than strong features.
3. basicly its neutral, but again it depends on factors like subject of the game and. i personaly like it cause i like sexy women , but mainly it depends on the game. if the design is for project aimed at children than all sexual references are baned from designs and gets back to the drawing board, but if game requires sexy - that sexy it is .
4. not realy cause most of the designs have to folow close to the script and these designs have to go through judging , so who makes them doesnt realy matter cause in the end it will look as it should.
5. well, yes. i personaly think that mixture of genders in a studio benefits from more versitile opinions. and ofcourse its allways more pleasent to work when there are some femails around .
6. no.
7.no. to be more honnest i think this statement is utter noncence or in short - "BS".

hope i was usefull, and sorry for gramar mistakes and sorry if some answers dont respond to questions more precise cause i am not originaly a english spoken persona and my english realy neads improvement .
good lluck in your dissetation .
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
1. When creating a character, what is your main focus in regards to their main physical apperance?

Sillhouette, functionality and a hook (something unique like having 4 tits or an outfit made mostly of leather belts)

2. Does this change at all much between male and female character design?

no

3. What is your stance on the hypersexual design of female characters in games at the moment?

I like it because I like hypersexual anythings. Generally though I think game art has become stale and depressingly unimaginative at the high end.

4. Do you think this would change if more women were involved in designing characters, if not why?

No, the design is defined by who you're selling it to. Also it's not like there's a shortage of female concept artists in the industry

5. Do you think that game design and character modeling would benefit more from female filling posiitions within the industry, if not why?

It'd benefit in the same way it benefits other industries - diversity is a strength because it brings varied approaches to problems. Also women 3d artists tend to smell nicer than male ones.

6. Do you think that the games market at the moment only focuses on designing games more for the more dominant male ratio of players?

I'd say that's only really true of so called AAA titles - it makes perfect business sense to target the largest group of customers if you want to make the largest possible amount of money

7. Do you see this changing in coming years or do you feel that men are too dominant at the moment fot this to change?

Hard to answer - the 11-30 year old male console gamer as the dominant market force is fading due to browser and phone/mobile gaming bringing other types of customer in - many of these are women but also many of them are very young or much older than the traditional segment.

The mobile/casual segment will overtake the "hardcore/AAA" segment in terms of comparative revenue soon (if it hasn't already) but I don't see there being much of a shift in terms of who is playing what type of games or on what type of device. We've had affordable games consoles in the home for well over 20 years so if girls liked playing on consoles as much as boys then there would already be more of a balance across the sexes.

Your questions seem very much geared towards hardcore/AAA console/PC gaming which is great if you want to accentuate a gender split but it doesn't seem to me like you're considering things like farmville which is raking in enormous amounts of money every second or angry birds which is continuing to make the guys at Rovio a serious amount of cash.

Who plays those games ?

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dissertation, student, work