>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The Concept Art Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 13-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie 
Total Awards: 3
Thanks!

No, you are right. I have been thinking that something needs to be added in the foreground to draw the eye towards the character. I just have not found out exactly what yet although I have a couple of vague ideas which I am hoping to try this weekend. Good that you point it out too!

I also need to properly implement the warm/cold mixture that poopipe suggested. The chain might have been lost because of roughly mixing them. Will work on it.
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
this is a nice picture!

I like the pose and this kind of "infernal" setting...the face of the Crow is a bit bright in contrast to your overall lighting, though. I would also darken the background to put the focus on your character.

keep on rockin'
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatmwrede! Thank you:
ignacio197 (28-04-2012)
Old 22-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie 
Here is another update. This is just showing a more refined blending of the two warm/cold versions I had. The background is not as bright here, I agree with you mwrede, it was a bit too bright in previous versions. I think this colour scheme is softer and works better. I think it still retains that creepy atmosphere (hopefully).

I have a more updated version almost ready which includes mainly a lot of elements around the image to fill in the foreground. I also added his cat As Born8th pointed out, I needed to create more depth. The figure is also better integrated. I should be putting my final piece up sometime this week.

Thanks for the comments, they help !
Attached Images

Last edited by ignacio197; 22-04-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 25-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #19
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Total Awards: 1
Really cool seeing how the image keeps improving with each post you make, I really like the mood in this. Makes me want to see the film again;)

I’m just nit-picking now, but the chains hanging from the roof in the foreground feels a bit flat to me because they’re all drawing either straight from the side or front. Having some of them being viewed from different angles would add some more depth to the picture.
agoliversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Thats a good point. I will look into it. Also I just noticed that some layer effects have not shown up on the chains, which also makes them a bit flat, I have fixed that now. Hopefully I will post a finished version tonight for final comments and then I will be ready to go

Thanks!
Old 26-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
This is probably the last update I make. I have reached the point where anything I touch now I make it worse, so I am probably leaving it here. Trying to turn some of the chains at this stage proved to be a bit more complicated than what I thought. I got the layer effects back thou, so that helps.

With respect to previous stages I have added foreground elements to try and add some story and depth to the image.
Attached Images

Last edited by ignacio197; 26-04-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Old 27-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Doesn't really matter if you didn't have time to turn some of the chains - I can see that you made some other changes to them since last time and they look much more 3d now:)

I'm a bit uncertain if it's better with or without the new elements that you added to the picture. They definitely add more depth and story to the picture, but I find the composition a little harder to read now.

The white face of the crow used to draw much more attention before since it was the area with the highest amount of contrast in the scene, but now I feel like it's competing with the white cat. I don't think the cat needs to be removed, as it looks quite nice, but maybe it would be better if you made it a little darker?

The police tape coming in from the right also seems to be pointing at the cat, which is another reason it draws a lot of attention.
Greatagoliversen! Thank you:
ignacio197 (28-04-2012)
Old 28-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Thats a good point. It would take some time at this stage to do a big change, but I think I can try and correct a couple of things with not too much effort to put some focus back on the figure.

Thanks for the comment !
Old 28-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
I have just submitted my final entry.

At the end I have darkened the cat a bit, and the easiest thing I could do without making a mess at this stage was to move the police bands a bit higher up. It is what it is I have spent too much time on this, I was getting tired of it, so I am glad it was sent.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback !!

Old 28-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Good job !

The composition of your picture is very interesting. The way you place the two police tapes, guide the eyes to the main character. And transparency of the tapes is good too.
As agoliversen advises, the way you change the color of the cat lets now The Crow's face to be the brighter point.

Good luck !
Born8th is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBorn8th! Thank you:
ignacio197 (28-04-2012)
Old 28-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
yeah, focus and depth are on the right side now, mr. ignacio! really creepy...ehhmmmm, nice picture!
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatmwrede! Thank you:
ignacio197 (28-04-2012)
Old 29-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Those last few changes really did the job, ignacio. It looks great!^^
Greatagoliversen! Thank you:
ignacio197 (29-04-2012)
Old 29-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the suggestions !
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #29
DennisG

First let me say your work is superb! Much better than I could do by far. The only thing I don't get is, why aren't the chains hanging straight down. I've seen chains hanging many times, and the weight of the chains doesn't allow them to bend randomly or to have one link hanging from a point off to the side of the uppermost centerpoint. You know what I mean?

Please understand I'm not criticizing your work, it's wonderful! I just thought it would be more "true to life" if the chains hung straight. Take it for what it's worth, I'm nobody.
DennisG is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatDennisG! Thank you:
ignacio197 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Don't worry, every comment counts, that's why we use this forum, to get people comments no matter what they are about. Its the only way to improve ! You are probably right about the chains. Even though I try to get some realism into the images I make, there are so many things to account for that some scape. I thought that having the chains curve would give the image more movement. As if something has stirred them up, something lurking in the ceiling. Having them straight would make the image it a bit boring.There would be three or four straight lines having down through the middle of the image. Maybe I curved them too much, that's true, but as I said, it would take, at least me, forever to keep everything very close to realism. Which I don't want to do either.

Thanks for the feedback !

Tags
fan art, the crow