>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Animation & Rigging Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 23-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
Skinning examples

Hi,

I am trying to skin and rig my first character, I have a basic skinning going on at the moment but I was wondering if there are any good examples or hints and tips people may have. For example, a screen grab of the falloff along the arm on each bone. I will try post something up tonight on what I have. Also I am doing this with 3ds max 2012 sp1 CAT rig.

Cheers
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
ello mate

here these might help

if ya want any more just ask
Attached Images

needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatneedse! Thank you:
Tarik2d (23-04-2012)
Old 23-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Pro Tip: Do NOT use envelopes.

While it may seem like a lot more work to manually assign weights, envelopes require tons of tweaking because they are clumsy and inaccurate, so they actually take longer.

As far as weight falloff, this just really comes with experience and experimentation. Also, joint placement is probably more important to skinning than the actual skin weights themselves. Again, something that really can't be taught, you just have to rig a bunch of characters.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBuzzy! Thank you:
Tarik2d (23-04-2012)
Old 23-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
yeah look around for some tuts on how to use the weight table and bone tools
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Needse, thanks again mate, that's helped, I think my weighting wasn't intense enough in places it needs to be.

Buzzy, thanks for the advice, I'll go for manual weighting.

Thanks guys for spending your time replying and the useful information once again.
Old 23-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
i remember eat3d having a good tutorial on low poly character skining.
as for skining it self i would repeat what buzzy said and add suggestions to learn to use some tools like skin morph and skin wrap - they realy helps when you nead that extra kick for the skin. and dont forget the topology - clean thought out topology can save you lots of time and help make these joints bend more preciseley .

little off topic - are you starting to skin your si fi characters? is so than you could post some screengrabs how they look.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Thanks Paulius for the hint, I'll check them out for the tutorial. Here are some drafts of the characters none of them are finished and I need to make mods to my red robot I did a while back, its not moving to fast but a little bit each month. There are some more but I don't have them on me.

Last edited by Tarik2d; 01-05-2012 at 07:21 AM..
Old 23-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Pro Tip: Do NOT use envelopes.

While it may seem like a lot more work to manually assign weights, envelopes require tons of tweaking because they are clumsy and inaccurate, so they actually take longer.

As far as weight falloff, this just really comes with experience and experimentation. Also, joint placement is probably more important to skinning than the actual skin weights themselves. Again, something that really can't be taught, you just have to rig a bunch of characters.
^^

that.

every word of that

twice

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpoopipe! Thank you:
Tarik2d (24-04-2012)
Old 23-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Thanks,

From your advice I think one of my problems is the placement of the CAT rig, Here I have placed it again, does this look ok? I am going to add the hands and feet. One thing that I cant seem get round is the make the foot flat on the rig, I am moving the square at the bottom and rotating the leg itself
Attached Images

Old 23-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Its really hard to say without having it all in 3d.

For realtime work it generally works best if the joints are centered in the mass - even if that's not where the joint would really be (CAT makes this a bit tricky on the torso). you need to be careful about orientation at elbows/knees etc. As much as placement. You may need to alter your mesh sometimes.

When skinning make use of the grow/shrink/blend buttons on the weighting floater. i generally go through the whole mesh assigning values of 1 or 0.5 to all the verts and work on blending from there.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpoopipe! Thank you:
Tarik2d (24-04-2012)
Old 23-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
the "foot bone" should be thought of as the "ankle joint".
It should not be flat on the ground. It should angle downward from the ankle to the ball of the foot.

A common problem for beginner riggers is that they imagine "bones" as literal, structural, anatomical bones. This is folly. They are JOINTS. A JOINT is merely a pivot point, a virtual spot for things to rotate around. In more technical terms, it is a "transform" and nothing more. The visual "bone" part is just a visual aid so that the rig makes sense in a character's body. So, rather than trying to build a skeleton to actually fill a body with structure, you only need to place and connect a bunch of joints.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBuzzy! Thank you:
Tarik2d (24-04-2012)
Old 24-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
the "foot bone" should be thought of as the "ankle joint".
It should not be flat on the ground. It should angle downward from the ankle to the ball of the foot.

A common problem for beginner riggers is that they imagine "bones" as literal, structural, anatomical bones. This is folly. They are JOINTS. A JOINT is merely a pivot point, a virtual spot for things to rotate around. In more technical terms, it is a "transform" and nothing more. The visual "bone" part is just a visual aid so that the rig makes sense in a character's body. So, rather than trying to build a skeleton to actually fill a body with structure, you only need to place and connect a bunch of joints.

That's great advice thanks. I did notice last night after you said about it the hand bone was too far back and it caused some issues.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
When I try to load in motion capture data into the CAT rig it never loads up right and I cant get it the right scale, It is a scale factor or something from 0-100 but I cant relate that in anyway to my rig. The high of the pelvis is 8.