>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 25-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Diffuse update. Will Have armor sculpts up by tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Model update. Moving on to the weapon now then I'll pop it into marmoset to see what it looks like real time. I've spent enough time on him, going to start working on the female version either tonight or tomorrow.

Also have a turn table up of the current model.

BTW: I felt the back was too crowded, so I got rid of some of the rocks on his back. Looks better but I may get back there and take out some of his glow lines before I call him done.
Attached Images

Last edited by setschaos; 29-04-2012 at 02:00 AM..
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Lunchtime

Great!!

I love it! I guess if you wanted me to nit pick though, here are my suggestions.

Note: Some are just "think about it", and may not be true.

1) The hands are so big, I'd think they are the main focal point. Naturally the hands and the face. Spend more polys in the detail of the hands perhaps, or texture space on the hands and face.

2) I like the leaves, gives the nature aspect you say is in their back story. Give more hints as to their motivation as a race through cultural garb, features, etc... I don't know where, but I looked for that right away. "is the backstory believable based on the characters look". ie: A sea-faring race would have weathered skin, eyes adapted for staring at the sea, etc..

3) Put one of the hands into a fist or something. Both seem tense, and I'm not sure why. It would give a more believable look to the character (making them look more in a natural pose).

4) The blue texture on the back fins isn't high enough res. I'd leave it off and focus more texture space on areas that draw your eye, unless it's going to be a big focal point. In that case, put more texture space detail dedicated to it.

I'm saying more texture space, that could mean, more UV space, or just improve the texture. You don't want any area to look under served, you want it to be consistant with a few focal places servered more attention.

Great stuff!
Lunchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatLunchtime! Thank you:
setschaos (30-04-2012)
Old 27-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Excellent advice on all points. I cleaned up the lines on my diffuse, added in some more loops for the fingers, fixed the pose on his hand, played with the colors, added more detail to the face, took care of the glow on the back rocks (were a bit much, so I pretty much took them out all together) and I cleaned up some of the additional bump texture.

Right now I have a finished turn table rendering, so I can't do much in terms of updated images, but I wanted to put out some color choices for the glow lines. Essentially they are the magic that animates the stones that make up the hill borne, so they don't need to be a particular color. I just need to find out which color is the best aesthetically.

Thanks again for the ideas. Good food for thought!
Attached Images

Old 27-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
I'd go for the darkest desaturated blue adding some black with an alpha, maybe some dots or scales. Similar to the texture on this bust from Nick Zuccarello.

Great job!!

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Thanks, good advice. I will play with the textures on the glow lines. I may even change the color of the actual skin to something similar to what you posted, I like it. Possibly that skin color with the ice blue lines.
Old 27-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Ok, got the model updated. List of changes:

-Added a few loops (total Tri count is 7.2k)
-Massive overhaul of diffuse (skin color, variegation of color, decided on a final glow line color scheme, de-saturated the wood color to make the vines pop more)

These are simple max renders and the final diffuse texture.
Attached Images

Old 27-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
And here are the Marmoset toolbag screen grabs.
Attached Images

Old 29-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Alright, all I hear is crickets so here is my female orthos. I am TERRIBLE with the female form. If you thought my male form was off, just wait until you see this...

I would love some solid feedback on how to make my anatomy more correct. I was going for a beefier look for the race, so I used female body builders as reference for this one but tried to tone it down a little to keep the feminine qualities in tact.
Attached Images

Last edited by setschaos; 29-04-2012 at 01:48 AM..
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #25
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Base Mesh +Silhouette test. Sculpting WIP should be up tonight.

Fingers are a bit long and neck too thick, will clean that up in ZBR.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #26
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
is this a personal project dude or a work gig ?

kool either way
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatneedse! Thank you:
setschaos (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Personal project. Trying to work on improving and building a relevant portfolio. I usually do the competitions in the game art challenge, but they seem to come few and far between and I end up coming close to finished but end up really unhappy with the models because I have learned so much since I started it.

So between competitions I'll work on this thread.

Thanks for the comment ^_^ don't get many.
needse (01-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Woah he's cool! Those arms would pack a punch i'm sure.... I like the texture work on him looking very cool.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Update on the female sculpt. Still a little more tweaking to do, then I'll move on to retopology.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Another sculpt update. Planned this one a bit better, so I included the glow lines and the vines into the normal map instead of relying on diffuse and additional bump maps.
Attached Images