>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Modelling, Lighting & Rendering Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 19-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Baptista

Rendering Glass with trasparency

[IMG][/IMG]

I saw that from a arch collection model and i was wondering how you can render a glass object which is transparent so when you put it in front of something you can see the behind of it.I know for sure that its a png format and not a jpg.
Can someone tell me the settings to have that result?
Baptista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Thad
brazilian dude

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
not sure i follow

do you want the 3d model to have a material transparency, or do you want the final saved image file to keep the transparency automaticly for you to insert another image behind it on and image editor or whatever ?

if its the 3d model material, what software are you using?
Old 19-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
You can add a mask layer to a PNG which defines the transparent parts, something you can do with any 2d editing app that supports PNG transparency

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Baptista

its the second part Thad,i want the final image(render)from max to keep the trasparency so i can put it on photoshop and i will be able to see what is behind the trasparent material of the model.

Perversonality i am pretty sure that max does that since the image that i found was a max render with no modifications from a 2d application
Old 19-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
In the render dialog select save file from Common > Render output and then type in a name with a .png extension. Before you hit enter, click the setup button and make sure that alpha channel is selected

Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
rockyourteeth
Ameture Animator

Location: I live in Austin, Tx. I'm from Rancho Cucamonga, California.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Yeah, as far as I know, the default settings for a PNG save the alpha information. There are file types like TGA, but PNG should work fine, I use it all the time with alpha.

Also, if you're wanting to get something that is invisible, but still shows shadows (like if you want transparent shadows on the floor, but not an actual floor), then check out the "matte/shadow/reflection" material for Mental Ray. You can create a floor or a wall, and assign the material to it, and when you render, the object will be invisible, but the shadows on it will render. Can be very useful if you're wanting to create furniture to place over another image.
rockyourteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Baptista

i was busy doing something important and now i turned back to this project that i was doing.I did the render and still the glass wasnt transparent.i save the render as you told me Perversonality and the parts that i wanted to be transparent were black.Anyone knows what i do wrong?
Old 22-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Can you check to see what the mask looks like in a 2d app? That might point you towards a solution

Old 22-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Baptista

this is the object that i try to make the glass transparent.[IMG][/IMG]
when i export it as a png, the glass part is black because of the background color and when i change it to white color is getting white.so when i take the png and open it in photoshop i cant see behind it.the alpha maps shows the whole obj white.i still cant understand what i do wrong and how that guy has render it in that way
Old 22-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Ok, in Photoshop you should be able to take the alpha layer from the PNG and turn it into a mask layer. There's a layer option which is something like Layer Mask from Transparency that should do it (not got PS infront of me right now). You then have a layer for the render and a mask layer which controls the transparency

Old 23-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
DiogoM

Send a message via MSN to DiogoM Send a message via Skype™ to DiogoM
Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 1
are u using vray? if yes you can check the "affect alpha" under the refractions options for the material, then u can save your image with any format that supports alpha (like .tga) and it should work

Visit my portfolio -> http://www.diogomachado.com.br
DiogoM is offline   Reply With Quote