>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Texturing & Skinning Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
TomC

Two color translucent glass

I'm trying to make a translucent glass with the top half part of one color, and the bottom half another. Something like in the picture. I'm using 3ds Max and Vray.
I've tried connecting Gradient and Gradient Ramp on the Reflect and Refract but nothing.
Thanks.
Attached Images

TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
ServantOfTheNoise

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Award Description: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 1
Hmm a ramp in refraction should do the trick. Never used Vray maybe others can help you on the settings.
ServantOfTheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I'm trying to make a translucent glass with the top half part of one color, and the bottom half another. Something like in the picture. I'm using 3ds Max and Vray.
I've tried connecting Gradient and Gradient Ramp on the Reflect and Refract but nothing.
Thanks.
here. try this one . its two colour glass material with gradient from red to blue . to get the desired effect paly with fog amount and fog bias. the scene is max2010 version with vray 2 . hope it helps. would have fiddled more with ir to look exactly like in the picture but i was lazy and it wouldntbe fun and informative to get 100% correct material .
Attached Files
File Type: max gradient glass.max (264.0 KB, 93 views)
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Robbert543
Mental Raytard

Send a message via MSN to Robbert543 Send a message via Skype™ to Robbert543
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Here's my approach:

Two glass materials combined in a VRayBlendMaterial, using a Gradient Ramp as Blend map.

then of course, map your object to the blend map.

This way, you can have a buttload of colors in one material.
Attached Images

liking and sharing my Facebook Page!
..and checking out my Portfolio!
Robbert543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
TomC

Thanks

ServantOfTheNoise, paulius-st and Robbert543, thank you very much for your reply. I tried out all your help and I've learned a lot. So this is what I got doing the following:
Add a Gradient Ramp to Reflect, and changed the color to what I needed as you can see in the pictures.
Oh, one thing I was stuck on was the two middle vases, which I made from lines then lathed. I had to add a UVW Map to get it right. The other ones on the side were modeled from a box and then edit poly, so I didn't have to add a UVW Map to those.
Thanks again guys for guiding me, and I'm going to experiment more on Robbert543's method for adding a bunch more colors.
Cheers.
Attached Images

TomC is offline   Reply With Quote