>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Modelling, Lighting & Rendering Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
CaptainEllipsis
Ralph Dozier

3DS Max 2013 - Weird colorful lights?

I was setting up final gather maps for some renders tomorrow, and I noticed there are these weird colorful lights everywhere. I'm attaching my render settings, because I'm completely stumped at this point. I assumed it was caustics, but I don't have them on. I've tried raising my FG settings, raising photons (which I ended up liking), speckling; nothing works. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!
Attached Images

CaptainEllipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
Perhaps it's a modeling issue, when objects are close to each other and not interpenetrating light may "bleed" through...

rocneasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
CaptainEllipsis
Ralph Dozier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocneasta View Post
Perhaps it's a modeling issue, when objects are close to each other and not interpenetrating light may "bleed" through...
I made sure they were all overlapping, and even went through the trouble of applying Shell Modifiers to them, and still nothing
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Don't believe it to be due to FG, is your model set to scale? Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question

Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
CaptainEllipsis
Ralph Dozier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocneasta View Post
Don't believe it to be due to FG, is your model set to scale? Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question
I don't think so; I pretty much eyeballed everything in this one.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Awards Showcase
Ok, well then let's get cracking at scaling via edit poly mode or how ever you want to scale your model. Thing is that lighting needs the model set to scale. Your room needs to be same dimensions as in real life in order for the lights to work

I usually say to my students that it's impossible to place a regular light in a matches box. It wouldn't fit. In max it fits but it goes through objects and you get bad lighting or strange artefacts.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Awards Showcase
Any progress, did it work?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
CaptainEllipsis
Ralph Dozier

Yup, fixed everything. I had to scale everything down, and adjust the exposure settings a little afterwards. Thanks! I'll post some shots after it finishes.

I'll try to start modeling to-scale from now on, I've run into that problem a few times, and it seems like a good habit to get into too.

I have two (somewhat unrelated) questions as well:

1. Are pro materials better than the A&D presets?
2. Is there an easier way to cut down on render times? My current renders take ~12 hours (FG itself takes around 4 hours), and I'm going to drop the Photometric lights for the standard ones and play with the settings. Other than that, is there anything else I can do to shave some time off?

Last edited by CaptainEllipsis; 07-01-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Awards Showcase
Well in a nutshell Photometric lights take longer to render, as does A&D materials when compared to Standard. Haven't really tested pro materials as opposed to A&D presents.

Cutting down render time, well if the above settings match your own, then just verify it, and I'll take a look into what can be lowered without loosing detail and/or quality.

Caching FG map is always a good thing

Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
CaptainEllipsis
Ralph Dozier

Thanks!
Here's the new FG map with the scaling fixed. There are a few small parts (like the upper left corner) that I can fix in post. I have one more FGM to make, then I can spend the next few days rendering =D

Render time: 4:06:05
Attached Images

Last edited by CaptainEllipsis; 08-01-2013 at 12:18 AM..
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Awards Showcase
Looking better