>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 30-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Fynn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mount Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
it gets better with each update
but you should narrow the jaw a bit and look at some references for the abs
keep going
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
Quick concept. I just can't paint concepts so I did a 3D sketch ^^

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #18
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Send a message via Skype™ to RogerP
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
I like this one, is it a concept for the Sea Creature Challenge?

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
Jussslic

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 1
Haha he's got the same frowny mouth as your dragon!
Jussslic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Jussslic, haha it's my signature! Nah the mouth won't be like the doggie one this time :P

Xxxcubanxxx, indeed it's a sea creature but that topic inspired me for cgsociety's "Armed and dangerous". The concept lacks a lot of stuff, but yesterday I focussed on finishing the male anatomy since it will be perfect as reference and a great concept tool. Only things left are hands, feet and it goes for retopology. Then I'll add in max or maya the fins and all. I just need to see if my base is enough to fight decently over there. There's gonna be a bunch of awesome entries for that comp.

Don' you guys feel like joining?

Maybe I can work a bit more on a figure I discard from this concepting stage that makes it for the sculpting challenge.

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 31-01-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Old 31-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #21
Jussslic

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil_himura View Post

Xxxcubanxxx, indeed it's a sea creature but that topic inspired me for cgsociety's "Armed and dangerous".

Don' you guys feel like joining?
Considering the absurd prize Autodesk is offering up, I'm sure some amazing sculpts are gonna come out of that one.

I'm really disappointed it's Mudbox only though... it took me soo long to get the hang of ZBrush and it's hard enough staying up to date on all the new features they keep adding... I'm not sure I wanna dive into another sculpting app right now.

Last edited by Jussslic; 31-01-2012 at 08:05 AM..
Jussslic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I've seen a few hours of video already about how mudbox works and it's pretty much the same than zBrush. It just may take more time to get where you want with it until you get used to it. And they provide a full trial license to play with till the dead line Mudbox has some great features I wanna try out.

Blog
Old 31-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
awesome sculpts man, I really love the dragon, it has so much character. Your human anatomy is really great as well. Keep it up!

Wish I had time to come up with a concept for the competition, I always get stuck and never seem to finish when I do competitions.

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatMcKronic! Thank you:
wil_himura (31-01-2012)
Old 31-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Yeah, too bad it's Mudbox only would be the perfect opportunity to learn it as you go along, but I don't have the time right now. Theres's still plenty of time left so who knows, could give it a go prizes are really good.

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 31-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #26
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I've got a student Mudbox and Maya license, actually I work for a bank (yeah, those that brought us to the crisis ^^)

until I get any income of my 3D skills which is not likely to happen hehe, I'd like to take benefit of those tools integration.

I hope that being Mudbox only stops all the great ZBrushers from entering ^^

Blog
Old 31-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
well actualy there isnt much diference betvien mudbox and zbrush. mudbox is great at texturing and zbrush cant even compete in this. as for sculpting mud doesnt have hundred usefull brushes or twent other tools and fuctions that looks awesome in perview videos but ou never use them outside your sketching cause its realy crap.
so i look at mudbox as a optimised zbrush for serious work but i dont realy like that mudbox is kind of weak at handling large amount of polies and complex sculpts. and most of the editing you must do out of mud. for egsample: retopo, uvw, base mesh, posing . thats why i am still working with zbrush and never update it unless i feel like i am in stone age and i realy do need to update. in my opinion the best zbrush version is 3.1 . others just get worse and worse,and this hardsurface sculpting thing is just a waste of time.

Last edited by paulius-st; 31-01-2012 at 04:41 PM..
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I don't have nuff experience to poly-make a model... I just can't see it coming out of a box, from a sphere.. that's different xDD so I use zbrush a lot for concepting. Dynamesh increased my speed A LOT Now I can sketch ultra fast and then retopo the thing out and keep on moving in a few hours. But I'm with you, you usually get only to use a small % of the tool we have...

I think that pixologic guys pretend that the ppl that won't animate their models or use them in realtime engines just stay on their app for all their workflow long. If they could they would also pretend you to stop using photoshop (or any other similar package).

I feel comfy sculpting and most of my models won't make it even for rendering in an external tool, that's why I love it. I can get beatifull pieces, study the shapes, colors of things in just one tool.

Edit: I say this obviously because the day doesn't have enough hours for me to explore everything... you know if got a dog, a g/f, a job ... And I like beer and football so... only a few hours left for 3D here

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 31-01-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Old 31-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #29
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
just a matter of preference, Zbrush is just a plethora of options and I love the hard surface sculpting, amazing things can be done if you do it right.

Can it be done on software like Max or Maya? absolutely, but you can't compete with the fast results Zbrush offers and in my opinion looks damn good.

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 01-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
About the discussion we had yesterday, I found this which I think is incredible, really, really useful:
http://vimeo.com/3014923

Blog