>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Final Completed CG Artwork
bottom-table-gradient

Old 24-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

3D/2D Graphic Novel - Moth City

Hi everyone, I'm working on an online graphic novel called Moth City that I'd like your feedback on. I've attached some finished work below. You can see more work and learn a bit more at:
http://www.facebook.com/MothCity

I designed, modeled and rigged my characters in Maya, and then do paint-overs in PS and Illustrator. I'm not actually sure that this saves me any 'penciling' time, but I have a mash-up of skill sets, so figure I may as well use what I've got. Anyway, i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the art.

I'm working on the story at the moment, moving things around and tweaking with the help of some friends and supporters. I'll be working on a comicpress website soon, so in the meantime http://www.facebook.com/MothCity is the best place to go. Or here

It's is a fresh take on the murder mystery that lives at the intersection of detective fiction, noir-horror and kung-fu. Readers can view Moth City online as itís written, download eBooks and comment on work as it's created. Standard webcomic styles, but I'm going to try a few additional things as well.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun, and thought you might be interested. It's a personal project that I'm working on full-time, which is new and exciting for me. Hope you like it, and I'd love to hear your opinions!

Tim
Attached Images

Old 26-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

Here are a few of the 3D models I built as part of the character design and illustration process. None of them have clothes or hair, but all are pose-able. All built in Maya.
Attached Images

Old 26-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
hmmmm 3D/2D Graphic Novel idea looks interesting. Do you have only two image like this?........... Please post more of your comicbook page work..

Last edited by eydi; 26-02-2012 at 01:48 PM..
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

Hi eydi, you can grab a 5 page preview from http://www.facebook.com/MothCity

3D/2D comics happen sometimes, but they're often these horrible poser-model comics, with 3D renders, which I've never been a big fan of. Though often the story pulls you along regardless.
Old 27-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Gibson View Post
Hi eydi, you can grab a 5 page preview from http://www.facebook.com/MothCity

3D/2D comics happen sometimes, but they're often these horrible poser-model comics, with 3D renders, which I've never been a big fan of. Though often the story pulls you along regardless.
Ok thanks...
Old 28-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

Here's the 2nd page

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Nice style man.

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

Another image, this one is a detail from a poster I'm working up. Go go orange!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
this is mustard love all the stuff on ya site too
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by needse View Post
this is mustard love all the stuff on ya site too
Mustard? Heh, I'll take that as a compliment, thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
yeah in england thats a compliment mate lol
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
LostSoul

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around your production process, because the closest I can get is that the 3d stuff is sort of like customized mannequins (or set-dressings) and you draw/color the stylized 2d version of it using the underlying 3d as a reference.

Because while you can "sort of" see the 3d stuff you've shown in the artwork, its only just barely visible. Which is awesome I might add. The style is perfect classic comic book inking and coloring.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Tim_Gibson
Author/Illustrator

Yeah, that's pretty bang on.

I did all my character designs in 2D (photoshop/illustrator) then modeled the characters in Maya. They're not smooth skinned, just chopped up where the major bone pivots/rotations are and parented to a rig that I built. Because I designed and built them all from scratch, they can all have stylised proportions and bone structures, and quite unique looks, as opposed to something like (eek) poser.

I haven't done any muscle deformation, facial expressions, clothing or hair. All that stuff is added by hand later. The sets and props are a bit of a mix; 3D is used at all it's really basic shapes. More for perspective than anything else.

I don't muck around with lighting in Maya either.

So they're sorta really lazy pencils that I ink over, light and colour.