>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

Gentlykinds works in progress

Hey everyone, I had an account on here long ago when I was still in school. Don't remember what is was, I remember this board being really active though. 3dtotal was the first "cg" forum I found on the internet too. I remember doing the Joan of Arc tutorial and learning so much from this site. anyways its been years since I had any work as a character artist but I've been constantly improving. I moved to Vancouver in hopes of getting a job working as a character artist, I'm putting together a demo reel and really giving it all I got. It's either I get a job or move back with the folks =(.

here is my most recent character, any crits would be great! also this will be a medium poly, maybe low poly character. fan art of Heavy Metal Dredd!!

NEWEST IMAGE
Attached Images

Last edited by gentlykind; 04-04-2012 at 01:10 PM..
gentlykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
hi.
good start . you're on a good track cause it has the character of a original character.
as for crits i would only suggest you to give i=his moth a stronger expresion to give a punch to the charisma of the character. something like this.
ceep it up.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

paulius-st thanks for commenting! I'll definitely give him a snarl with his mouth open a little bit too. I want him to be like screaming and pointing his gun in the final pose.

I really like that m bisons chin, I'm gonna give this guy a bigger chin too.

here's an update on the gloves. I was going to add fine detail too, but I think I will normal map that.

Mudbox.

Last edited by gentlykind; 11-03-2012 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: add photo
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

little update

Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Fotology.dk
Change the Shadow

Send a message via MSN to Fotology.dk
Yeah baby, the fearsome Judge Dredd..

Love to see more.
Old 13-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

Fotology.dk - Thanks for checking out my thread! here's another update.

I don't have a concept for the gun, so this is taking longer then expected. I keep reworking things. also I don't know anything about how a gun works, so things are purely aesthetic.

It's a combination of several guns I referenced. PEW PEW!!

3d max.

Old 13-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

right almost done with the gun. just little details now, some details will do with normals.

Old 14-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
strict9
xyz to uv YO

bang your dead......and i do mean dead.
nice
small grip for such a big gun.......maybe look at hellboys gun...that looks big allround
strict9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

Another weapons update.

Holster

close up

strict9 - Thanks for the critique! The barrel is actually from hellboys gun, looks almost identical actually, I might have to change it a bit more. I think the grip is too small now that you mention it, too skinny i think. here's a little adjustment, looks "fatter" compared to the images above. do you still think it needs to be bigger??

Old 15-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
strict9
xyz to uv YO

fat enough....he still needs to fold the fingers around it
come to think of it, make sure you check space for fingers and if his finger fits inside the trigger area.
cant wait for booties
strict9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

hey, smaller update.

tweaked proportions, sculpted more of the face, tweaked the helmet, made it feel more like the comic, got rid of the underwear thing switched gun to left hand, right hand will have a billy club, also made the badge larger. now its time for booties!

strict9 haha, I fitted the gun to his hand, I'm not sure how it will look once he's holding it up though, since the gun is bigger then his head!

Old 18-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
yeah wicked love judge dread although the films suck
sweet modeling dude looking forward to this finished
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
gentlykind
hightech lowlife

needse - Thanks for the encouragement!

just a little more Mudbox then time for retopo low poly.

Old 22-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
looks realy great . i love all his acsesories exept for this bat . imo it looks out of place - hes such a sci fi bad a$$ macho character and walks with a stone age police bat. give him a bigger gun and he'll be ok . ceep it up. waiting for low poly
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
rjsmal

Really nice job so far, I kinda agree with paulius if you wanna keep the bat than let it be a high tech electric bat but that just my thought.

Take care

Rjs-Mal Website
My Wip's
My Finals

Maxon Cinema 4D R10
Zbrush3
Photoshop CS
rjsmal is offline   Reply With Quote