>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Off-Topic Discussion
bottom-table-gradient

Old 25-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
samohtep

3D Printed Iron Man Helmet

Last November, I was speaking with the head of the rapid prototyping department at the company I work for about doing some internal marketing to increase the awareness about them.

In the conversation, I asked if they would be able to help me in any way to produce an print of an Iron Man helmet and then if things worked out, any parts of a full suit. They agreed to give the helmet a try, I sent files I had been working on, and a couple days later, I got the pieces. Fast forward 4 months, and I've finished everything on the helmet.

Instructables is having a contest to win a 3D printer and I've entered this piece. Please take a look and vote for me if you like! Thank you!!

http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-P...ronman-Helmet/
Attached Images

Last edited by samohtep; 25-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
samohtep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
But can you wear it?
Old 25-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
samohtep

Yup! Forgot to upload those pictures. Here they are.
Attached Images

Last edited by samohtep; 25-03-2012 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: rotate photo
Old 25-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
lol that is kool i want one
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
samohtep

Thanks!
Old 27-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Now you're talk'n. You should sell those on Etsy or something. Or at least figure up the cost.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
samohtep

Thanks! At this point, I only have the one for my personal enjoyment. But if I can win that printer I linked to, I'm looking into providing print services for this kind of work.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Jermatoo
Anime Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jermatoo Send a message via MSN to Jermatoo Send a message via Yahoo to Jermatoo Send a message via Skype™ to Jermatoo
Neat, I like it.
Jermatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
If you're planning on selling these, you can already add me on the list of people that's gonna complain it's too expensive.

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Send a message via Skype™ to needse
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
Unless there mass produced they will cost a fortune
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Especially if you get sued for copyright infringement...

Nice job on the helmet though. Looks great

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
samohtep

Thanks! Yeah, I have to look into how that works. I don't think that I would be able to print and sell large quantities of anything, but if I was providing printing services for models provided by the client/customer. Sort of a smaller scale equivalent of Shapeways
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by neolith View Post
If you're planning on selling these, you can already add me on the list of people that's gonna complain it's too expensive.
lulz!

excellent job though, can you see out of it?

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
samohtep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
lulz!

excellent job though, can you see out of it?

Yup, this is a rough approx. of what each eye sees. I wouldn't try running with the faceplate closed, but you can navigate a room and pose for pictures.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
chubu
Animator

Send a message via Skype™ to chubu
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge 'Sit down and Think'' Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in ''executioner'' challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Love it!
chubu is offline   Reply With Quote