>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art
bottom-table-gradient

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Texturing practice for everyone

Hi all!

So tsabszy and I decided to do a little weekly thing here.. Each week, we will make a weapon which will have to fit in these restrictions:

-1024*1024 diffuse map (lower if possible, but only diffuse map nothing else)
-1500 triangles

The goal is to make interesting shapes, and most importantly detailed textures! So any kind of weapons from fantasy, to real weapons and scifi thingys are good to go.. basically we want to step the whole detailing/texturing thing to the next level, and have fun while doing it

So if you want to join the thread is here, and ur computer is ready to handle a 1,5k triangle weapon in the viewport...

IF you have any questions, do NOT ask them, just start working and post ur progress here!

Have fun

EDIT: added a picture so its shows up that we actually do something here
Attached Images

Last edited by Cordero; 18-06-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Great Cordero! For Thanks for2:
rocneasta (12-06-2012), tsabszy (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Ooh, I like this, it's like a little stretching exercise that will have the advantage of constructive criticism, count me in! Will have a post tonight, for sure!

Last edited by setschaos; 12-06-2012 at 11:12 PM..
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy Send a message via Skype™ to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
yeah!
it seemed like a good idea to practice on works that takes less time rather then creating full characters. i hope it will work and we ara gonna improve ourselves a lot!
everyone put away Diablo 3 and let's get to work!

some inspiration from:
Tamara Bakhlycheva aka "Firstkeeper"
http://firstkeeper.deviantart.com/gallery/3065306
Tyson Murphy aka "Murph"
http://gardenturtle.blogspot.hu/

Last edited by tsabszy; 12-06-2012 at 11:14 PM..
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Greattsabszy! Thank you:
setschaos (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
rocneasta

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsabszy View Post
everyone put away Diablo 3 and let's get to work!
I am actually AFK and reading the forums

Excellent idea, hoping to spamm it with progress, top to bottom!

rocneasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I like the high saturated inspirations, very blizzard-esque. Hopefully I can break out of the box and do work that borders on that playful but dead-serious design. Good inspirations, thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
rocneasta i am trying to pud d3 away for some time now
setschaos these are just because they are the best of the best of the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRi28W-ENY&t=44s
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Hah! I always forget how damn funny that movie is. Makes me want to sit back and watch it again, been years.
Old 13-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
couldn't resist starting on a simple one.. crapy design and crappy drawing, but at least something to go on with..

Old 13-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
now that I think of it, I should have started with something simple like you did.. anyway I have the base mesh down for mine, I'll post it up later with the uvw layout

Old 13-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
wanna learn as much as i can on this one.. i don't have the imagination and drawing experience to dream big i hope after a lot of trying i'll get tge idea..
we'll see. plus my problem is that i won't have much spare time this and next week.
modelling and uv making won't take long for me now
but we are here to learn from our own and eachother's mistakes
Old 13-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Cordero

Awards Showcase
If you learn from mistakes, I can guarantee you'll learn a TON from me mate

and you can always make time by quiting your job..

I'm most excited about getting a feel of those fine gradient colors they used in darksiders 2.. I'll probably loose the fix "base color" method I used so far, and start with a more complex color scheme, not just one for each type of material... OMG so excited ololol
Old 13-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
sure i could quit my job.. but then i won't have money to pay the power bill and my compiter just won't work without power.

my goal is the same, to learn how to draw those fine gradients, and soft form-explaining lights with selfconfident strokes. also id love to learn to draw concept for myself and inpove my imagination.
but now, back to work, otherwise ill loose my job :P
Old 13-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
rocneasta

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
point is start simple and end big? hmm my first wall is using all the theory i have in making low poly into reality, texturing will just be the next step in evolution i guess. Any specific way to present it, so we have similar render tools etc - going for realistic render and weapon feel, or fantasy or just wing it, see how it goes

Old 13-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
well basicly the idea behind this thread was to learn to texture your low poly model for a simple shader. without normal map and specular. only diffuse texture (and opacity if needed).
my goal is to experiment on it and trying to find my way of doing this right painting by hand.
but i might try to experiment on creating such things from higg poly model and using baking solutions as well i dunno.. the point is just to learn creating strong diffuse textures that look great without normal map, that look great with constant shading.

style can be any, fantasy, sci-fi or anything. for now we only di weapons, but later i think we can change it. we'll see
only here we should share our experiences and learn from eachother
Old 13-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
rocneasta

Awards Showcase
rgr