>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > 3DTotal Products > Total Textures Collection
bottom-table-gradient

Old 17-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #31
spencer

Re licensing

Hello, I have a question regarding licensing.
I recently purchased 'Toon-Textures' and I intended purchasing further volumes of your textures, however a point has been raised on the Daz3D forum regarding fair use of the textures. I am a modeller who makes models for sale at Daz3D and I intended using your textures to texture-map my future models. The suggestion is that this would not be within the terms of the license. Could you clarify this matter please. There is some urgency with this as I have just reached the mapping stage of my current project and there are time constraints.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #32
Warin-3DT
Scientist who falls in love with art

Send a message via MSN to Warin-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words 
Total Awards: 2
Hello,

As it says on the licence agreement you cannot resell or redistribute our textures in anyway, we have to draw the line on this one for obvious reasons. Including our textures with a model even if you have edited the texture falls in this category, so the answer is 'no' you cannot resell them in this way.

Many thanks

Warin
Warin-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 03:09 AM   #33
spencer

Thank-you for your reply. The textures are of no use to me then - I got the impression that they could be used as a merchant resource due to phrases like 'royalty-free'. It seems that I have spent money on a misinterpretation of what was being said. It's a shame, I love your textures and the delivery service was excellent (next day delivery for the UK)
Old 18-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #34
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Im sorry Spencer I wish we could help more but Im sure you understand why we have to draw the line on this one.

If you email me info1@3dtotal.com with details of what you purchased I may be able to offer a product exchange for other items we offer.

Thanks

Tom
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 02:28 AM   #35
Vickery

There seems to be some confusion between your advertised claims and what you are saying here now:

-Until very recently your site advertised the following: "The best part is that all of the texture resources included on these DVDs can be used for either personal use or used to create commercial products, it's up to you!" Obviously any commercial product would require distributing the textures in some form. Was this message not true?

-On the first page of this thread it says:
Quote:
The Textures are totally royalty free for use on any project, commercial or otherwise. The textures can also be modified in any way necessary, providing that these modified textures are not then sold as new 'textures'.

This can cause a problem if they are used in games, really only applying to pc games here, if our textures are sat in a folder where your customer could get to them. As far as I know all consoles games are fine as the textures are embedded in, so if you can also achieve this with a pc game making the textures very hard for another user to extract then this would be fine too. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
That doesn't match with saying that they may not be distributed in any way.

-Your site contains promotional images showing familiar commercial models made and sold by well-known model makers tagged with the line "Scene textured with Total Texture CDs." Have you made special exceptions for these model sellers? If so then the promotional images are very misleading as they clearly imply that 3D Total textures are usable for professional model work.

I was about to buy one of these texture packs the other night but fortunately did a search and saw warnings from other members of the 3D community before I made the purchase. There's been quite a bit of discussion about this on some forums recently. The license itself is somewhat vague and open to different interpretations as it forbids only "redistributing the contents of the CD" while also saying the textures may be used "royalty free when used within a work of art."

I suspect your intentions are good at heart but by trying to restrict your products to home use only you severely devalue them in comparison to competing products that make no such restrictions. It also raises some questions for professional artists who've bought your textures in the past and used them in their products based on what your website said as I describe above. Would someone in charge care to comment on any of this and maybe clear things up?
Vickery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #36
Zygote

this is Total Nonsense (pardon the pun!) I have used Total Textures for low-end architectural renderings and part of the contract of nearly every job is to include the model, textures etc with my renders. I've also done commercial jobs for game developers similar to what Vickery says - if I'm making game models and textures then, guess what, they expect me to include textures in what they purchase from me!?

So essentially they are not royalty-free in any way - what you're permitting - eg renderings of scenes using Total Textures has nothing to do with 'royalties' - If they are not royalty-free then you shouldn't be advertising them as such - from what you've said they're, at best, very limited royalties.

I can't see the benefit of this anyway? All other texture sites simply give an honest Royalty-Free license - look at 3d.sk for example - they're more than happy for folk to use what they've purchased as they see fit - indeed you've used their textures unmodified and sold them as your own 'total' textures - so it seems a little unfair that having done this under their honest 'royalty-free' license, you're then repackaging them under limited license to everyone else!?

This is totally against the spirit of CG art and I will bear this attitude in mind when choosing future products, you've rendered your textures next to useless for commercial use.
Zygote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #37
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Our licence is very simple and it follows the same principles as Dosche, Marlin and all the other etc etc.

To some it up in a nutshell, basically you cannot buy textures from us and then sell them again, this includes changing them then selling them, packaging them with something else (such as a mesh) and then selling them. Of course we have to have this rule, if not people could just buy our collections, change them a bit, maybe include a mesh with them and sell our textures maybe to the extent of complete collections as their own.

What you can do is use them royalty free in your projects, both personally and commercially....for example, renderings, animations, film, graphics, advertising, matte work and games (where the textures are embedded) etc etc....but you just cant resell/redistribute the texture maps in any way, because if you could we would go out of business!!

The licence agreement is included on the CDs and basically says what I have written above. I really cant believe people are giving us such a hard time because we dont let them buy our textures and then sell them again as part of their own work.

Many companies and individuals use our textures every day for their commercial projects and they follow the agreement just fine.

Please post any more questions here if you have them

Thanks

Tom
Old 20-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #38
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
I have since thought of a good way of explaining this incase there is any more doubt, the problems mostly seem to be arising from model makers who sell their creations again. So I thought of this example to help you understand.

If you made a model of a house and then textured it 100% yourself, it is all your own creation, this is great and you go on to sell it on daz, turbosquid etc, I am sure you are happy to let all sorts of people buy it and use it personnally and commecially in projects such as architectural, games, films etc and everyoen is happy.

However, what if I come along and I am a model maker too, i want to model a complete street to sell on daz, turbosquid etc, I see your house model buy it and then and then use it in my street model, and put the whole thing back up on sale, I am sure you would not agree to let this happen even though I assume you let you model to be used in commercial projects like in the above paragraph.

This is same situation with our texture CDs but i have given it in an example of what you guys do for a living.

What you all have to do here is separate terms like "commercial" and "royalty free" that we do allow from terms like "reselling" and "redistributing" that we dont allow.

Many thanks

Tom
Old 20-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #39
spencer

Quote-Until very recently your site advertised the following: "The best part is that all of the texture resources included on these DVDs can be used for either personal use or used to create commercial products, it's up to you!"

This was in your store just last week, it was only removed after things blew up over at Daz3D.

Modellers, particularly Poser content modellers have a slightly different language to modellers/texturers in the animation and print world when it comes to the terms commercial and royalty-free. The above paragraph would have made sense to Poser people if it had read '... can be used for either your personal or commercial renders or animations.' Daz3D further compounded the problem by describing the textures as 'Tools of the Trade' and a 'resource pack'. Poser content makers have long been looking for a good quality texture pack with an impeccable source/ownership, so when your pack was offered for sale under this description everyone jumped at it. Before buying I was very careful and visited your website to check that what Daz3D was saying was true and I was pleased to find that your store information tallied exactly with that given by Daz3D. So I ordered a texture pack direct from you.

The quality of your product is beyond dispute. If my end product was an animation or print then I would be delighted. But I am a modeller that requires textures for maps on a commercial product so they are of no use to me. The problem is just one of communication and interpretation. And I am, sadly, out of pocket.
Old 20-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #40
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
I am sorry for Daz's wording..it has caused us a bit of a headache but they have confirmed that all is corrected now.

As I advised earlier in the thread Spencer I will review your case and offer a solution, I have been very busy this weekend with the server problems we had with 3DTotal and so have not had chance to reply to your email yet, but as I have said before i will do shortly, please give me 24-48 hours to reply, we are still recovering from loosing our server 2 days ago.

Thanks

Tom
Old 20-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #41
Galy3
Poly maker

Hello! I buy v8 and v6 last year(nice!!!). I want to know if the training dvd vol2 explain the texture part A to Z, or It just look like the incomplet tutorials in textures cds.
I'm searshing for a good complet texturing dvd, book or tutorial.

PS: I just don't want to try it for nothing, in Canada I remember 75$ for a cd, It little bit expensive.

Last edited by Galy3; 20-02-2006 at 12:31 PM..
Galy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #42
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Hi Galy,

The answer is yes, the texture training on DVD vol2 is very comprehensive

The tutorials on the texture CDs are just simple overviews where as the DVDs are detailed step by step lessons.

www.3dtotal.com/training

Thanks

Tom
Old 21-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #43
Galy3
Poly maker

Thank! And a last thing, for texturing part, what is better? Dvd vol2 or ArchiCD II?
Old 21-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #44
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
DVD vol2 definately, archiCD is more for lighting

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #45
wiwa

MAX Mat-Files

Hi,
I have bought the full CD Collection. Very impressive product, thanks so far.
On some of them are 3DSMAX .mat files for the matariallibrary on some are not. On one of them (v6) is a hint on Pre-Build Texture Libraries for download on your Website but I can't find any link. How to get these Libs if there are any?